October

jodyb

DIS Veteran
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
I'm so excited - I can actually plan our next DLP trip!! It turns out my daughter needs a repeat surgery to take out "plates" that were put into her face to hold the bones together after an accident in March, and this surgery will be in September. Now that I know the timing I want to plan a trip for October, which conveniently corresponds with school holidays here!!! :cheer2:

So I have tons of questions! We've been to DLP twice, both times for a week, and both times in dead winter - January and February! So October... what's it like? Which is better, early or late in the month? What is the weather like? Are there any school holidays in UK or France during October that we should try not to overlap? Any other October advice would be very welcome.

I'm thinking of purchasing AP's again, since we'll be there for 7 days again most likely, and then we can come back in the same year and have entrances pre-sorted! So any advice on room-only rates at the various hotels would also be welcome. I don't think we'll do Castle Club again - been there, done that, and we don't feel we need the splurge again, especially since hopefully the weather will be more pleasant. I'm thinking SL again, or maybe Holiday Inn, which I recently realized one can walk to from the parks! :)

Okay, I'm sure more questions will come to me as the plans start making themselves, but this is it for now. Just knowing we can plan another trip is making me very happy!!! :Pinkbounc
:wave2: :bounce: :wave2: :bounce: :wave2: :bounce: :wave2:

How exciting for you Jody :bounce::bounce:
I hope your daughter is making good progress.
Like you we have only been in the depths of winter until this year-we visit DLP in 3 weeks time.:banana:
School holidays in the UK tend to be the last week of the October.Ours are from monday 24th to friday 28th.
I think schools in Scotland are a week earlier but I'm sure someone will clarify that.
I also believe that the french schools(all zones)are closed from the 22nd October for a week so it might be a tad busy during that week.;)
Good luck with the planning.:)

Hi Jody! So glad to hear Liav is making such good progress. Rhiannon and I went at the beginning of October last year. In fact the photo in my signature was taken then and you can see I'm wearing a T-shirt. It was lovely and mild. Some days were cooler but it was never cold. I imagine it gets pretty hot in Israel so my idea of cold might be different from yours but if you survived DLP in winter, which we found extremely uncomfortable and we're used to similar weather in England, I think you'll find October very pleasant. The parks were also quite quiet which was great because there were laods of Halloween characters about and they had plenty of time for everyone. As long as you can avoid the week beginning 22nd you should find the same. Out of the 3 times we've been October was my favourite.

As tmp said the school holidays in Scotland are slightly different. In our area we have the week beginning 17th october. but then I'm sure that Edinburgh and other areas may have a different time.

Great news about your trip Jody! And even better to hear Liav is making such good progress :)

I would avoid UK half term if you possibly can. In my area it's October 24th-28th. The reason I say this is because when I went in February UK half term it was heaving!! Parts of France were also on holiday then too. By heaving I mean 2 1/2 hour wait for Peter Pan for example.

I also would have thought the weather would be better the earlier you go, as Di mentions.

Oh how exciting!!

Great to hear that Liav is on the mend and mag?c to be planning your next visit.

Schools here in Scotland finish on 10th October and go back on 24th October.
I suspect given the distances (and because we are smaller :goodvibes ) that first week would still be relatively quiet until our southern cousins break for half-term in the 2nd week.

I have always enjoyed the Holiday Inn, but feel that you may miss the atmosphere of not being part of the park. :)

Don't forget to add your dates to the calendar :flower: once they are fixed.

Reid

Hi Jody! It's great that you and Liav can now make your plans for another DLP trip!! :Pinkbounc

I'v never been in October, but as already mentioned, you will get to enjoy all of the Halloween stuff. Have you seen Raptors Halloween photos from last year?

Hi Jody,

great to hear that Liav is doing well.

October at DLRP...its great cause its Halloween season. :goodvibes
Have been at the beginning, middle and end of October at the resort.
Its most crowded at the and specially the last week.
This year there are school holiday at Germany the first two weeks.

The weather..as always at Paris might be great...T-Shirt and light sweater...or bad...rain and winter cloth :cool1:
I would go within the first 3 weeks unless you want to join the special Halloween Soiree.

Greets Renate :wizard:

Renate - I was just going to tell Jody that there are some great Halloween photos on your site as well!!!

I particularly liked going during their Halloween festival - Frontierland becomes Halloween land and there are all kinds of things going on.

The paddle steamers become the Mummy Cruise Line. I didn't get to go on them this time - I was waiting in the queue for the next steamer but the poor thing ran aground complete with decks full of people. They had to ferry them off in little boats :rotfl2:

There were a couple of fabulous acts on the stage in Frontierland and I can guarantee your eyes will pop out when you see what's happened to Main ST USA.

The Halloween parade is great fun. I bet you won't be able to resist buying the parade music. I've driven my family mad playing the wretched thing! :rotfl:

They also had some terrific acts on in the Village on the outdoor stage there. Definitely worth a look.

I really hope you enjoy it and that all goes well.

Brilliant news Jodie.:goodvibes This will be just the pickup you and Jodie will need after her surgery in September. Hope she's doing OK, :grouphug: and pixiedust to you both.

:cheer2::wizard:Happy planning!:wizard::cheer2:

We went early October last year, Diberry - we must have been there the same time - the weather was brilliant wasn't it ?, probably a fluke, and the atmosphere was incredible - agree totally with everything Nik says, down to buying the parade music and playing it incessantly after.
Is Liav under 12 - if so she'll thoroughly enjoy having her hair and makeup done (free of charge) the results were amazing.
There seemed to be a lot more characters wandering around than on our previous March trip, especially the villains, but all the other characters had got into the Halloween spirit as well Chip and Dale were ghosts, Donald Duck and Minnie both in Devil costumes, and there's so much going on in Halloweenland (Frontierland), you won't want to leave.

Patmagic

has some Halloween time videos to give you an idea of what to expect. :cheer2:

Hope you have a wonderful time - you both deserve it.

Oh thank you so much everybody! It seems *everyone* loves October!! Now I'm even more excited. And even the dates seem to be falling into place - the best for us will be Oct. 11 -18 since Liav will only have to miss one day of school if we go for that week, and from what you've all said it should be a slow week at DLP! I hadn't even thought about Halloween! Silly me! I'm going to go now and look at everybody's pictures!!

Does anyone know if there are fireworks in October? We've yet to see ANY fireworks at DLP and at WDW that's always a favorite... I miss them! Also, do the night parades run in October? Fantillusion?

Thanks again everybody for your tips and good wishes!!! I'll post my dates when they are final.

:Pinkbounc :flower: :Pinkbounc :flower: :Pinkbounc :flower:

And one more thing - :idea: I think I am going to try to surprise Liav! I've never done this before but I think it could be loads of fun... IF I can keep the secret... :ssst:

Sorry Jody but according to the brochure there won't be fireworks or Fantillusion in October. But everything they do for Halloween more than makes up for it! :sunny: Knowing how much you love DLP I'd say you'll have a hard job keeping it a secret!!! ;)

We've been in October & it was cold & wet every day so go prepared.

Great seeing all Halloween theming though.

Thanks for checking that Diana! Sigh... no evening parade or fireworks is a disappointment... but I'm sure we can find enough to keep us happy! :flower:
As for the secret... I have a VERY bad track record when it comes to surprising people, but this time I'm really going to try!! I'm still in the very early planning stages, so it's not hard....YET! :hourglass

:) :flower: :) :flower: :) :flower: :) :flower:

Jody,
I've never been in Oct, so I can't help with that. I have stayed at the HI though, so I can offer help there. It is a very nice hotel, but it seems like the walk to the parks could be rsther long. The room was very nice, with comfortable beds. I didn't eat at the hotel, but people who did said the food was good. The gift shop was VERY small.

In Jan, I got great rates through the offical HI web site and through Expedia.uk

I'm happy to hear that Liav is doing well....have a GREAT trip---both of you really deserve it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter