October. Y'all are freaking me out.

Fantasmic isn't a holiday offering. There also isn't a Christmas party here. And they DID do Oogie Boohgie Bash last year.

Nothing is different this year compared to last year. All the same things will be offered.
They did have a Christmas party last year. It ran for 5 or 6 nights at Disneyland. I imagine it will be back this year.

I apologize for hijacking this thread but am curious if the weekend of September 23rd would also be crazy? Or am I better off doing first weekend in December? I’ve been toying with the idea of going but it will probably be a one and only trip so I don’t want to hate it.

Last edited:
I should have clarified my earlier question - our trip has to be some time in 2022. So, what's the best option for lowest crowds, October or later?

My argument is that YOU claimed this year would be busier than last year because they were bringing back all the holiday offerings, but the holiday offerings were already back last year.

It will be busier because they stopped capping attendance, basically.
Holiday fire works and festival of color are also coming back. I’m looking forward to it.

I apologize for hijacking this thread but am curious if the weekend of September 23rd would also be crazy? Or am I better off doing first weekend in December? I’ve been toying with the idea of going but it will probably be a one and only trip so I don’t want to hate it.
Well, Sperember will be less crowded, but December will have Holiday stuff going on. Do you want "classic" Disneyland or "Holiday" Disneyland?

They did have a Christmas party last year. It ran for 5 or 6 nights at Disneyland. I imagine it will be back this year.
Yeah, I remember that, but it didn't offer much above and beyond what a normal day ticket gets you during Holiday time. Wasn't it just random dance parties, the Muppets going down Main Street in a bus and some character meets? And wasn't it generally panned as not worth it? More like those after hours parties, and less like MVMCP at WDW.

Well, Sperember will be less crowded, but December will have Holiday stuff going on. Do you want "classic" Disneyland or "Holiday" Disneyland?
Hmmmmm. Good question! I guess classic? But I’m not married to it. I’d rather go to the “less crowded and able to do everything without ridiculous lines” DL.

Hmmmmm. Good question! I guess classic? But I’m not married to it. I’d rather go to the “less crowded and able to do everything without ridiculous lines” DL.
Well, you'll need to buy Genie+ at both times to avoid crazy lines. I'd say September will be better overall.

Well, you'll need to buy Genie+ at both times to avoid crazy lines. I'd say September will be better overall.
Thank you! I have been to WDW dozens of times but haven’t been since Genie+ started there. I have to do more research definitely!

Yeah, I remember that, but it didn't offer much above and beyond what a normal day ticket gets you during Holiday time. Wasn't it just random dance parties, the Muppets going down Main Street in a bus and some character meets? And wasn't it generally panned as not worth it? More like those after hours parties, and less like MVMCP at WDW.
I read a lot of really poor reviews of the Christmas parties 🤷‍♀️

I read a lot of really poor reviews of the Christmas parties 🤷‍♀️

We went to the first Merriest Nites party and it really wasn’t worth it. Enjoyed the Muppets immensely, and the entertainment on the riverboat, but it was a one-and-done for us.

There is a Gay Days weekend.
Gay Days is no longer held in October due to the fact that Disney has asked them to move Gay Days to September due to October being one of the busiest months at Disneyland (which they started doing last year.) so Gay Days this year is in the middle of September (I believe its the 16th-19th)

Gay Days is no longer held in October due to the fact that Disney has asked them to move Gay Days to September due to October being one of the busiest months at Disneyland (which they started doing last year.) so Gay Days this year is in the middle of September (I believe its the 16th-19th)

Great info, thank you!

A lot of school districts in Oklahoma and Texas have fall break in October. It ranges anywhere from 2 days to a full week depending on the district and their calendar. We are right in the middle between DLR and WDW and if you don't have a full week, DLR can make more sense than WDW.

We are in the Houston suburbs. Our district implemented a new schedule about 4 years ago and we get a week off in October, a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Years, a week off in February, a week off in March, a couple of days off before Easter, then pretty much nothing until we get out in late May. Then we are back to school the 2nd week of August. It's an amazing schedule, and the teachers (my husband included) absolutely love that schedule. It gives us a change to travel "off season" and gives the kids and staff much needed breaks throughout the year. Aside from the first month and a half, and the last month and a half of school, we get a week off every month. Most people in our district run off to WDW, but we always run the other way and go to DL.

We are in the Houston suburbs. Our district implemented a new schedule about 4 years ago and we get a week off in October, a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Years, a week off in February, a week off in March, a couple of days off before Easter, then pretty much nothing until we get out in late May. Then we are back to school the 2nd week of August. It's an amazing schedule, and the teachers (my husband included) absolutely love that schedule. It gives us a change to travel "off season" and gives the kids and staff much needed breaks throughout the year. Aside from the first month and a half, and the last month and a half of school, we get a week off every month. Most people in our district run off to WDW, but we always run the other way and go to DL.
I don’t think there’s an off season anymore. So many school on different schedules and so many homeschooled kids. It’s always busy.

Ugh, I didn't know about this and those are my dates! Are the crowds insane for this?

Ugh, I didn't know about this and those are my dates! Are the crowds insane for this?
In the past...yes. But also because it pretty much always coincided with a weekend that was also busy due to a number of school breaks. So it's hard to say what it might look like this year, though I would expect that weekend to be busy now when generally I think those last couple weekends of September used to be the "quiet" options for Halloweentime.

In the past...yes. But also because it pretty much always coincided with a weekend that was also busy due to a number of school breaks. So it's hard to say what it might look like this year, though I would expect that weekend to be busy now when generally I think those last couple weekends of September used to be the "quiet" options for Halloweentime.
Got it, thanks for the insight! We've booked a nonrefundable room and the 18th is our first wedding anniversary, so I guess we're in to brave the crowds, whatever they are.

I always wonder where these mythical school districts are. I never had a fall break growing up (3 different states) and my kids have been in 2 different districts in 2 states and neither those nor neighboring districts had one either.
Me either up here in Canada. The only breaks we got were Christmas, Spring Break and of course summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter