October school vacation weeks?

TwinsDadG

Earning My Ears
Hi there! We visited last October (10/14-10/17) and found the place MUCH busier than expected with a lot of schools on vacation. Is there a school vacation calendar available somewhere? I used to remember to avoid early-November because of NJ schools but now am worried about other times! Thanks!!

I think when it comes to planning around school schedules, you'll find that states (and even school districts in those states) have different schedules. Not sure if you can plan around a specific week. The school my son attends in Indiana has the middle week of Oct off for Fall break, but other areas of the country might differ.

US schools have vacations at various times of the year, sometimes varying by region, state, county or even neighboring school districts may have different breaks. Some have fall break that often coincides with Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples Day (10/10/22), some have it earlier or later - as you noted, NJ public schools are off in early November. There is no master calendar of school breaks throughout the country.

Our district has the first week in October off (AL). Lots of people go to Orlando since it's a reasonable drive. Many Atlanta area schools are off the last week in September through mid-October, again, an easy drive.

Schedules vary by region and even simply by district. For instance, my kids don't get any days off from school in October at all. They also go back to school over a week later than all of the surrounding districts.

For the northeast, besides Christmas and Thanksgiving, there are usually 2 vacation weeks that can get busy. One is in February for Presidents day and the other depends on when school have spring break. For us it's usually around whenever Easter is.

The school my son attends in Indiana has the middle week of Oct off for Fall break, but other areas of the country might differ.
Go Irish?

For the northeast, besides Christmas and Thanksgiving, there are usually 2 vacation weeks that can get busy. One is in February for Presidents day and the other depends on when school have spring break. For us it's usually around whenever Easter is.
Connecticut has eliminated Presidents' Week in the last few years, and I think there's some momentum in other New England boards of education to do the same.

Hi there! We visited last October (10/14-10/17) and found the place MUCH busier than expected with a lot of schools on vacation. Is there a school vacation calendar available somewhere? I used to remember to avoid early-November because of NJ schools but now am worried about other times! Thanks!!
No, there is no uniform school vacation calendar anywhere.
The only vacation pretty much all schools take is Thanksgiving, Christmas-New Years. Beyond those days, it's anything goes. There's no consensus at all.

In Minnesota, we always have a statewide break on the third week of October (Thurs/Fri). Many districts also close on Wednesday. So this year, that is Oct 20-21.

Our kids get five consecutive days off from their school in early October, along with one week in November, two to three weeks from December to January, two weeks in March, and long weekends in February and April. Their school also ends before Memorial Day and starts after Labor Day.

They technically could be at Disney any month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter