• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oct MK EMH change?

Without experiencing MK at the end of a 2 a.m. Extra Magic Hour close, Disney may not have ever become 'Disney' for me. I realize I'm just one paying customer, with only 3 additional paying customers in my family. But, you have to wonder at what point all the take away Disney is doing on one hand while the other hand is stuck way out there asking me to give more, will ultimately catch up to them. Will my grandchildren be able to experience the same level of 'magic' that me and my children have experienced over the last 15 years.

This upcoming trip will be the last one, and I am only going to see the last Illuminations. All the cuts, reduction of hours, longer lines for rides, price increases, extreme amount of planning have done me in. I am going to take my vacation money elsewhere. All the people who are shelling out for the DAH, are paying far more and getting far less then you use to get... I really miss those $15 e-ticket nights from midnight till 3am, those were always amazing, now what is the cost? $125? for times when the park use to be open for normal hours? And park attendance is higher and not lower.

This trip I will deal with Saturday night MK crowds, sit at Tambu lounge with my Lapu Lapu, drown my sadness and say my goodbyes and won't return.

This upcoming trip will be the last one, and I am only going to see the last Illuminations. All the cuts, reduction of hours, longer lines for rides, price increases, extreme amount of planning have done me in. I am going to take my vacation money elsewhere. All the people who are shelling out for the DAH, are paying far more and getting far less then you use to get... I really miss those $15 e-ticket nights from midnight till 3am, those were always amazing, now what is the cost? $125? for times when the park use to be open for normal hours? And park attendance is higher and not lower.

This trip I will deal with Saturday night MK crowds, sit at Tambu lounge with my Lapu Lapu, drown my sadness and say my goodbyes and won't return.

And this is what you do when a business no longer offers what you want in the way that you want it.

For me, the days of near empty parks during EMH's started long ago when they built more and more resorts on site. I don't blame them for doing it, but crowd levels are what they are and Disney would be crazy to discourage that. So, they offer premium events for the segment that can't stand being in heavy crowded parks- like me. I pay $95 and will get more done in 3 hrs than I do all day long ride wise. When I go during regular hours, I won't be fighting the crowds to ride popular rides. Those that buy them aren't wasting money just because other people don't like them. If there's value in it for me, it's not a waste, and there is.

For the last couple of years, the amount of EMH has gone down and the hours of EMH has gone down. Now, in October, Evening EMH at MK is nonexistent.

I agree with a couple of the previous posters. Those 3 hour long EMHs after an 11 PM close were so cool. There was something kind of magical about the MK at 1 AM. I miss those days. And late park hours in general. I suppose Disney is free to cut back and charge for what once was an included perk of staying on site. However, I will be much more inclined in future visits to return to the way I used to do Disney. Which was to stay at a nearby but off-site hotel, with free parking and free breakfast.

you'll be back.

Coming soon. Splitting the day into three separate tickets, a morning, an afternoon, and an evening ticket. Only $120 per session.

And you really think these paid nights won't become crowded just like the holiday events? Disney has already shown that they will sell as many tickets as they can, and not limit the crowd just because it is a paid event. I won't say I will never go again, but it will be way less now, because they are offering less and pricing higher.

Without experiencing MK at the end of a 2 a.m. Extra Magic Hour close, Disney may not have ever become 'Disney' for me. I realize I'm just one paying customer, with only 3 additional paying customers in my family. But, you have to wonder at what point all the take away Disney is doing on one hand while the other hand is stuck way out there asking me to give more, will ultimately catch up to them. Will my grandchildren be able to experience the same level of 'magic' that me and my children have experienced over the last 15 years.
Same here walking around the MK at 1:30 in the morning, not standing shoulder to shoulder with the crowds and walking onto the rides made it worthwhile for me and boy do I miss those nights after the sun stops beating you

And you really think these paid nights won't become crowded just like the holiday events? Disney has already shown that they will sell as many tickets as they can, and not limit the crowd just because it is a paid event. I won't say I will never go again, but it will be way less now, because they are offering less and pricing higher.

They may well start to oversell them, but right now they are not. If they do, I’ll quit doing them just like we did the holiday parties.

If more people would talk with their wallets or make their complaints known it might help prevent them from doing it. As long as you’re willing to pay for an oversold event, they’ll be willing to sell it.

Has this been discussed?

Wednesday, October 2nd. AM EMH instead of the usual PM EMH. - No MNSSHP scheduled for that night.
View attachment 393636

This sure ticks me off! I bet it will be the same for the following week when we are there. I was all excited about eating dinner at CG on the 9th and then heading over after the fireworks to ride a couple rides. Darn! Disney is really trying to lose my business. We have been DVC members since 1997. The good old days of e-ticket nights and no Fastpasses. We have been using our points outside of WDW at HH, Aulani, etc for three years now. Our last trip to the parks three years ago was awful! We came back and sold 600 of our 800 points. We have decided to take another trip before giving up entirely on Disney. I have a new grandchild on the way and I am already morning the loss of showing this child the Magic. It isn’t looking promising. We do still love DCL though!

I agree with a couple of the previous posters. Those 3 hour long EMHs after an 11 PM close were so cool. There was something kind of magical about the MK at 1 AM. I miss those days. And late park hours in general. I suppose Disney is free to cut back and charge for what once was an included perk of staying on site. However, I will be much more inclined in future visits to return to the way I used to do Disney. Which was to stay at a nearby but off-site hotel, with free parking and free breakfast.
Well said, ditto.

Not just the EMH, but beginning in September when the Star Wars area opens up at HS, the Studios is closing at 8 PM. Really! I guess they are getting ready to have DAH every night at HS.

I just read Kenny's article and I'm feeling so many different things. I feel a sense of loss and disappointment with evening EMH possibly being eliminated, especially for paid events. Growing up late hours at MK were some of my fondest memories, and the idea of not having my own child experience MK at 2am or even midnight is disheartening. I am so disappointed with this possible decision, and it is a great concern that this truly might be one of the many scary directions Disney is going in. While I totally understand it costs money to keep the staff there all of those extra hours, and may have led to the implementation of DAH to offset certain costs, I just do not think it is justified to completely eliminate evening EMH. Disney has become so regimented now, gone are the days of literally just park hopping and seeing where the day took you. Yes, I understand crowds need to be controlled and I detest crowds, but the heavy duty planning that now comes with ironing out every single day of my trip is exhausting. Times are changing and I guess we all have to figure out if those changes work for our families.

Coming soon. Splitting the day into three separate tickets, a morning, an afternoon, and an evening ticket. Only $120 per session.

The new, “improved” Magic Your Way ticket due to guest demand?

I agree. It’s simply a matter of time before these events are over sold like the parties so you have to attend more than once to experience everything.

My DD and I have been every year since 06, sometimes more than once. Last year was the first year we missed because the value (to me) has decreased. We’re pretty well priced out between the extra paid events, the ridiculous Canadian exchange rate (obviously this one isn’t the fault of Disney), the increased cost of staying onsite and lowered value in that due to decreases in perks and the ever increasing crowd levels.

And sadly I don’t see a trip any time in the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter