Ocean Swimming

AlisaMom

Mouseketeer
Next August we plan to spend several days in Huntington Beach. Is it possible to swim in the ocean there in this time of year? Is the water too cold or unsafe? My daugher is a real swim lover and dreams about swimming in Pacific ocean. So, I need to know in advance.

AlisaMom, I've been vacationing in Southern California since childhood and we spend the greater part of the afternoon on the beach and in the water. While it's possible to swim in the Pacific, we don't often see swimmers out past where the waves crash. The kids in lifeguard camp swim from one pier to the other in Newport, but it's tough to get out past where the waves crash if you're not experienced. My dad used to go out into the water pretty far, starting as a teenager and ending in his 30s after he was injured by a crashing wave. It's more for jumping waves and boogie boarding, which is great fun for all ages! There is swimming involved, but not like traditional lap swimming.

Our favorite beach is Newport Beach - just near Huntington. Newport is a peninsula, and a large part of it is just about 2-3 blocks across. The ocean is on one side of the peninsula and the bay is on the other side, making it perfect for wave jumping and boogie boarding on one side and swimming on the other.

P.S. It's cold! That used to be fine with me, but it's been cold enough lately that I finally got a short wetsuit. But water temperature is not a problem for our three boys!

Water is cold but you get use to it. We all love getting into the Pacific and playing around in the waves, throwing a ball around in the water, boogie boarding, and just goofing around. Corona Del Mar is the perfect crescent shape beach and its just a tad south of Newport beach. Its just separated by a jetty. When your done you can go back up to Newport and catch a sunset cruise in the harbor and then out onto the ocean which my family thought was amazing!

Corona Del Mar
IMG_8014.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

Newport
IMG_8069.jpg

She definitely needs to watch out for the strong undertow. The water is very cold even in the summer time. But you do get use to it. A lot of people will wear body suits.

Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar Beach are all fabulous beaches. (I live here. :lovestruc ) AND there will be tons and tons of fabulous Orange County Lifeguards manning all the beaches all summer long.

YES, August is a wonderful time to vacation here.

If you get a chance to go to Newport Beach, then I recommend you also go there besides Huntington Beach. It's just a few miles down the coast and the surf is much tamer.

If you get a chance, stake out a spot at Huntington Beach near the firepits and have a bonfire at night. I have a lot of fond memories doing that when I was younger. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter