O'CanaDis! Calling all Canucks for DLR tips

I asked at Thrifty's about how their Airmiles program works, as it's much different than Safeway and other air miles sponsors. You have to sign up, by phone or online, to convert your points to Air miles, at a rate of 1 AM for every 14 Thrifty Points ($1 spent= 1 Thrifty point). So, this is better than the 1 am per $20 spent at Safe Way, except you can't "double dip" like at other Air Miles sponsors. When you shop at Thrifty's, show your Thrifty Club card, but you don't show your Air Miles card. The points get converted automatically and should appear in 1 week. Thrifty's often has bonus point offers in their emails, so it's good to keep an eye on these. I used to save up my points to spend at Christmas time, and one year I got my entire order of christmas groceries for free! But now I'm converting them to air miles. I also converted my HBC points to Air Miles. Now that Zellers is closed, though, I don't get many HBC points.

Thanks for the info. I just went and added my airmiles card to my Thrifty's account.

I'll put this post here (rather than start a new thread) as it's for Canadians only really.

How early do you have to be at John Wayne Airport (SNA) prior to your flight back to Canada?

I know they say that domestic flights should be 2 hours before and international flights 3 hours before. However, given that we clear Canadian customs when we arrive back in Canada, our pre-board and security is the same as someone staying within the US (which is, again, recommended 2 hours before departure).

I've also read/heard that SNA is a very in/out type of airport; built efficiently to move many people. Sort of like Puerto Vallarta airport (one long building, not a lot of amenities).

Basically, can I plan on being at SNA 2 hours before my flight without much concern? Means an extra hour in the park. :chewy:

I'll put this post here (rather than start a new thread) as it's for Canadians only really. How early do you have to be at John Wayne Airport (SNA) prior to your flight back to Canada? I know they say that domestic flights should be 2 hours before and international flights 3 hours before. However, given that we clear Canadian customs when we arrive back in Canada, our pre-board and security is the same as someone staying within the US (which is, again, recommended 2 hours before departure). I've also read/heard that SNA is a very in/out type of airport; built efficiently to move many people. Sort of like Puerto Vallarta airport (one long building, not a lot of amenities). Basically, can I plan on being at SNA 2 hours before my flight without much concern? Means an extra hour in the park. :chewy:

I would feel quite comfortable dropping that to no more than 90 minutes instead of 120.

SNA is an easy airport. You should have no problems at all being there 2 hours ahead of time.

I fly out of LAX only, and I think 2 hours is plenty of time, too. It's always worked for me, and SNA doesn't have nearly the traffic LAX has.

I'll put this post here (rather than start a new thread) as it's for Canadians only really. How early do you have to be at John Wayne Airport (SNA) prior to your flight back to Canada? I know they say that domestic flights should be 2 hours before and international flights 3 hours before. However, given that we clear Canadian customs when we arrive back in Canada, our pre-board and security is the same as someone staying within the US (which is, again, recommended 2 hours before departure). I've also read/heard that SNA is a very in/out type of airport; built efficiently to move many people. Sort of like Puerto Vallarta airport (one long building, not a lot of amenities). Basically, can I plan on being at SNA 2 hours before my flight without much concern? Means an extra hour in the park. :chewy:

We always do 2 hours. But, we fly into SEA, then Bellingham and then drive to Canada. Not sure if that info actually helps.

I'll put this post here (rather than start a new thread) as it's for Canadians only really.

How early do you have to be at John Wayne Airport (SNA) prior to your flight back to Canada?

I know they say that domestic flights should be 2 hours before and international flights 3 hours before. However, given that we clear Canadian customs when we arrive back in Canada, our pre-board and security is the same as someone staying within the US (which is, again, recommended 2 hours before departure).

I've also read/heard that SNA is a very in/out type of airport; built efficiently to move many people. Sort of like Puerto Vallarta airport (one long building, not a lot of amenities).

Basically, can I plan on being at SNA 2 hours before my flight without much concern? Means an extra hour in the park. :chewy:

Does your flight connect in Seattle or do you fly directly to Vancouver or another Canadian city? If you make a stop in a US citu, that leg of your flight is considered domestic. I don't think I've ever arrived more than 2 hrs before an international flight. On our last flight we arrive at the airport in Victoria at 4:30am for our 6:30am flight. It was brutal!

Keep in mind that free rewards nights do NOT pay the dreaded 17% room tax!!

When you redeem Starwood points for free nights at the Sheraton there is no tax paid. When you use the points in their points and cash scenario you pay hotel tax on the reduced price.

Does your flight connect in Seattle or do you fly directly to Vancouver or another Canadian city? If you make a stop in a US citu, that leg of your flight is considered domestic. I don't think I've ever arrived more than 2 hrs before an international flight. On our last flight we arrive at the airport in Victoria at 4:30am for our 6:30am flight. It was brutal!

I'm direct SNA to YVR.

When we flew direct from Puerto Vallarta to YVR, we allowed 3 hours. We were checked in, thru security under 15 minutes. Then we sat there bored out of our minds.

I suppose I am comparing Puerto Vallarta's airport to SNA. They know they have a ton of tourists flying through so they are built to move people fast. I know customs can hold people up if there's a line but on the return, customs is done on arrival, so no issues there.

I think 2 hours for me will be fine. Your last day, you want to squeeze as much as you can out of the park before accepting you have to leave.

Safety First Complete Air LX Car Seat (Oxygen) & West Jet Flight:

Hi,

Tks for all the info everyone. Got a few questions re: car seats.

1) Car Seat: Safety First Complete Air LX Car Seat (Oxygen Pattern)

2) Carrier: West Jet (Boeing 737 -800 series)

3) Questions: Has anyone brought the above noted car seat onto the above noted West Jet flight? Does it fit OK? Any problems or suggestions for the best way possible to get the car seat onto the plane and installed quickly?

4) I need help please! I've spent too much time searching the internet without much success. I can't seem to "correctly" determine the dimensions of the above noted seat. I can't figure out the difference between some of the "models" I've come across for the Safety First Complete Air ... I've come across LX, 65 LX, SE, LX-SE versions so I'm finding slightly different dimensions associated with this car seat.

Honestly, I don't know if there's really that many versions or if people are just using different terms to refer to the same car seat. Sometimes, just having a different pattern listed changes the listed specs of the car seat. Yikes!

So, basically, I'm pretty confused!

5) Called West Jet and they said that their seats measure:

18.5" (from armrest to armrest)
17.5" (from front edge of seat to back of seat)

Hoping some kind Dis'er can enlighten me. Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

I'm headed to DL in less than a week and I am very very excited. I have yet to purchase my tickets, though.

Though this board, I have found various websites which offer small discounts on DL tickets. I'm curious to know which is the best option for me.

Way.com 5 day 1-park-per-day: $245 US ($267 CAD)
or
Southern California City Pass 3-day park hopper tickets + Universal studios (which we will be vising) : $319 CAD

I've heard that the 3-day park hopper from the City Pass can be upgraded to a 5-day. I just don't understand how that works, and what I would be charged at the gate. Anyone know what the price would be for me to upgrade?

Also, are the City Passes purchased from Costco.ca physical tickets or vouchers? Like I said, I'm leaving in less than a week and I don't want to wait for shipping.

We don't really need a hopper, but it is an added bonus that I don't mind.

With the tickets to Universal, I still need to buy round trip transportation which will cost $30/person. So that is a price I'll have to factor in.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all,

I'm headed to DL in less than a week and I am very very excited. I have yet to purchase my tickets, though.

Though this board, I have found various websites which offer small discounts on DL tickets. I'm curious to know which is the best option for me.

Way.com 5 day 1-park-per-day: $245 US ($267 CAD)
or
Southern California City Pass 3-day park hopper tickets + Universal studios (which we will be vising) : $319 CAD

I've heard that the 3-day park hopper from the City Pass can be upgraded to a 5-day. I just don't understand how that works, and what I would be charged at the gate. Anyone know what the price would be for me to upgrade?

Also, are the City Passes purchased from Costco.ca physical tickets or vouchers? Like I said, I'm leaving in less than a week and I don't want to wait for shipping.

We don't really need a hopper, but it is an added bonus that I don't mind.

With the tickets to Universal, I still need to buy round trip transportation which will cost $30/person. So that is a price I'll have to factor in.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know if Costco sends you a ticket or can email a voucher, but my guess is that because it's a city pass, you probably have to wait for an actual ticket to arrive in the mail. If you decide to go with way.com, you have to call them in order to use a Canadian credit card. Did you look at Flight Centre? Phone them and see if you can get the tickets vouchers emailed.

I don't know if Costco sends you a ticket or can email a voucher, but my guess is that because it's a city pass, you probably have to wait for an actual ticket to arrive in the mail. If you decide to go with way.com, you have to call them in order to use a Canadian credit card. Did you look at Flight Centre? Phone them and see if you can get the tickets vouchers emailed.

I'm leaning towards the CityPass route mainly because it is CDN and more simple. I'm going to check at a Costco location tomorrow and see if they sell them in stores.

I think upgrading my 3-day hopper to a 5-day SHOULD cost $40/person if my calculations are correct.

To upgrade your Citypass, you just take it to the guest relations/ticket booths and ask for an upgrade. You have to do this before the 3rd Disney day is used. According to the Citypass site, you get a $265 credit on an adult ticket and $254 on a child ticket towards the 5 day. When we did it, they gave us new tickets. Check your tickets right away. In our case they made a mistake and gave us single park tickets. (they fixed it, but it did mean we had to go back to the ticket booth).

I haven't seen the City pass tickets in store, but delivery was very fast. (They send the cards).

To upgrade your Citypass, you just take it to the guest relations/ticket booths and ask for an upgrade. You have to do this before the 3rd Disney day is used. According to the Citypass site, you get a $265 credit on an adult ticket and $254 on a child ticket towards the 5 day. When we did it, they gave us new tickets. Check your tickets right away. In our case they made a mistake and gave us single park tickets. (they fixed it, but it did mean we had to go back to the ticket booth).

I haven't seen the City pass tickets in store, but delivery was very fast. (They send the cards).

Excellent, good to know your tickets were delivered quickly in Vancouver. I mean this is Costco we are talking about, so there is a very lenient refund policy.

Specifically I ordered my tickets on May 6, and they arrived at our house May 8th.

So COSTCO sends the actual cards then, not a voucher? Does this mean that first use doesn't have to be at DL, but could be at either Seaworld or Universal? I have read where vouchers must have first use at DL. We are thinking of getting this, but our first use would be at Seaworld not DL. Thanks!

I ordered them online from Costco.ca this morning and they shipped already. Hopefully the Costco shipping warehouse is near BC.

I just found this thread now!!

We're in Port Coquitlam, and will be there Oct 9-14. We're flying BLI-SNA, and I booked direct on the Alaska website. Flights, hotel and 5 day PH.

For those that are looking into payment options and don't like the idea of the 2.5% exchange fee, look at an RBC Bank account. RBC Bank is RBC's American branch. So a US based chequing account. The monthly fee is $2.95. It also gives you a Visa Debit card which can be run as a credit card when needed. I used it to book our trip. And you can transfer from your Canadian RBC account to your US RBC account instantly online. They also give you a slightly better exchange rate. We also have a trailer just across the border so our account sees a lot of activity. LOL. Plus I do most of my shopping online and ship it to a receiver in Blaine. The RBC Bank accounts are totally different than the US $ chequing accounts offered up here. They are actually based out of a branch/head office in Georgia.

Ok, so we are staying at the Quality Inn by Bellis Fair the night before we leave because our flight is really early. Does anyone know if they will keep your vehicle while you fly out of Bellingham? And how long would you give yourself to get through security, etc for a 6:50 am flight?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter