O'CanaDis! Calling all Canucks for DLR tips

DenaRox was able to book BWPPI through Costco Travel. She found out that Canadians can book hotels through Costco, just not airfare.

I'll edit the front page now...

Rubygoose said:
DenaRox was able to book BWPPI through Costco Travel. She found out that Canadians can book hotels through Costco, just not airfare.

I'll edit the front page now...

Did you buy tickets as well through costco to make a package? Just wondering if Canadians can do the packages that usually offer a free character meal as well just like Americans can.

Did you buy tickets as well through costco to make a package? Just wondering if Canadians can do the packages that usually offer a free character meal as well just like Americans can.

I'm pretty sure Dena already has tickets and rebooked BWPPI and canceled her other reservation.

I looked into DLH to see if I could get a better rate and it looks like you can only book packages for the onsite hotels, so you have to get your tickets too, not just the room. And, to answer your question, yes you can get the added perks of the character dinning voucher and it also mentions a gift card and something for ESPN zone.

Rubygoose said:
I'm pretty sure Dena already has tickets and rebooked BWPPI and canceled her other reservation.

I looked into DLH to see if I could get a better rate and it looks like you can only book packages for the onsite hotels, so you have to get your tickets too, not just the room. And, to answer your question, yes you can get the added perks of the character dinning voucher and it also mentions a gift card and something for ESPN zone.

Thanks for the info rubygoose, I might consider this for the future

If anyone is looking to purchase a Citypass from Costco and has an Amex card they currently have a deal where you get $25 off a $250 purchase (one per account holder). The coupon code is AMEX25E. We used it towards a Citypass for a trip later this fall.

I know there are a few other people here from BC...can anyone give me an idea of drive time from Tsawwassen ferry to SeaTac airport?

Trying to decide if we should go via BC ferries or grab the Coho and go via Port Angeles.

Thanks!

I know there are a few other people here from BC...can anyone give me an idea of drive time from Tsawwassen ferry to SeaTac airport?

Trying to decide if we should go via BC ferries or grab the Coho and go via Port Angeles.

Thanks!

The drive to SeaTac from Tsawwassen is about 2.5 hours in good traffic, not including border times.

I've never tried the ferry from Victoria but if you're able to do both ferry and border in one swoop, it's something to consider over BC ferries then driving to the border.

The drive to SeaTac from Tsawwassen is about 2.5 hours in good traffic, not including border times.

I've never tried the ferry from Victoria but if you're able to do both ferry and border in one swoop, it's something to consider over BC ferries then driving to the border.

Yeah, at least when you do the Coho, you know how long you're going to wait, and you wait for the boarder and the boat at the same time. You do have to arrive 1.5 hrs before the sailing, but I think you live closer to the Coho dock than Swarts Bay anyways. When we drove from Port Angeles to Great Wolf Lodge, we took the freeway to Olympia by accident instead of taking the 101, which is quicker and more direct. But I'm glad we did because on the way back we took the 101 and it was very windy and slow going. We ended up paying a toll on the freeway though. It was $3.50 or $6.50 or something like that, but it was a lovely bridge that we crossed.

Looking at Google Maps at the route we took to Olympia, but continuing on to SeaTac instead of going to Olympia, it estimates 2 hrs and 22 minutes. Add on the 1.5 hr ferry ride plus the 1.5 hr wait at the ferry, plus about 15 minutes to get from Esquimalt to the Coho dock, and you're looking at 5hrs 45min total time from the Coho terminal to SeaTac.

Google maps says it takes 2hrs 29min from Tsawwassen ferry terminal to SeaTac airport. Add in a 30minute wait at the border crossing (could be much longer depending on the day and time of day), 30 minutes to drive to Sidney from Esquimalt, arrive at least 30 minutes before the ferry if you made a reservation, then the 1.5hr BC ferry ride. So, going via BC ferry you're looking at about 5.5 hrs as well. I think the only difference is with the Coho you know how long you're going to wait at the boarder crossing, but if you drive through Peace Arch it could be quick or it could take forever.

Yeah, at least when you do the Coho, you know how long you're going to wait, and you wait for the boarder and the boat at the same time. You do have to arrive 1.5 hrs before the sailing, but I think you live closer to the Coho dock than Swarts Bay anyways.

We're in Esquimalt so much closer to the Coho than Swartz Bay. (11 minutes vs 35 minutes)

I keep going back and forth, changing my mind! But, as my husband pointed out I seem to need something to obsess about before a trip, might as well be this! :rotfl:

Thanks!

Next question...anyone have a park and fly lot in Seattle they like? Anyone have one they hate?

For anyone who has purchased the City Pass from Costco Canada, have you used the first use at either of the non-Disney attractions? I have read that some vouchers have to be used first at DL. We would like our first use to be at Seaworld.

Thanks! This is a great thread for Canadians!

I keep going back and forth, changing my mind! But, as my husband pointed out I seem to need something to obsess about before a trip, might as well be this! :rotfl:[/QUOTE]

There is also the option of Sydney to Anacortes ferry (Washington state ferry) as well. That will put you near Burlington (Mt. Vernon) on the I5!

There is also the option of Sydney to Anacortes ferry (Washington state ferry) as well. That will put you near Burlington (Mt. Vernon) on the I5!

The Anacortes ferry is a much longer sailing, though, at close to 3 hrs IIRC. It ends up being a similar travel time to taking BC Ferry overall, since it's a shorter drive and customs/immigration is done at the terminal. I can't remember the cost, but if you make a reservation the amount is put towards your fare instead of an additional charge like the other ferries.

One thing I would like to add is the importance of free hotel reward credit cards. My wife and I have cards through MNBA Canada. Choice hotel credit card (Quality inn, comfort inn ) and Best Western credit card. These no annual fee cards have given us thousands of points towards free rooms. You have to watch for the best offers though. Last year we each signed up for the BW card and after spending the required monthly amount we each received 60000 points (enough for almost 4 free nights each at BW Stovalls, which we love!) . Remember, obviously we always pay our monthly balance to avoid interest charges as we pay for everything through our credit cards to rack up the points.
Keep in mind that free rewards nights do NOT pay the dreaded 17% room tax!!

Update on Airmiles: You can now convert your Club Thrifty Food points to Airmiles! (or Aeroplan, but that's not new) :)

Update on Airmiles: You can now convert your Club Thrifty Food points to Airmiles! (or Aeroplan, but that's not new) :)

I just saw this today! Super exciting for those of us here in Victoria since all the Safeways were converted to Save-in-foods!

I asked at Thrifty's about how their Airmiles program works, as it's much different than Safeway and other air miles sponsors. You have to sign up, by phone or online, to convert your points to Air miles, at a rate of 1 AM for every 14 Thrifty Points ($1 spent= 1 Thrifty point). So, this is better than the 1 am per $20 spent at Safe Way, except you can't "double dip" like at other Air Miles sponsors. When you shop at Thrifty's, show your Thrifty Club card, but you don't show your Air Miles card. The points get converted automatically and should appear in 1 week. Thrifty's often has bonus point offers in their emails, so it's good to keep an eye on these. I used to save up my points to spend at Christmas time, and one year I got my entire order of christmas groceries for free! But now I'm converting them to air miles.

I also converted my HBC points to Air Miles. Now that Zellers is closed, though, I don't get many HBC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter