• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

O'CanaDis! Calling all Canucks for DLR tips

Thanks everyone. I'll be updating the first page of this thread and compiling all of your tips.

Any other way to use points for travel other than air miles? Has anyone used Save-On Foods More Rewards? How about reward points from hotel chains?

I'd also like to gather up ideas for the best times of the year to travel, specifically around Canadian holidays and school breaks.

One more tip that we have used. If you sign up for the Alaska Air MBNA card, they give you a $99 companion fare, and enough miles to fly return from Vancouver/Seattle to California.

This would only work if you qualify for the card (and one-time). But in theory for a family of three, you could pay 1 full fare, one $99 fare and 1 person free. (although if you fly out of YVR, the taxes add up a bit)
Right. The $99 companion fare is an annual benefit, but the 25K miles is a one-time benefit.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Also wanted to add that I used way.com this morning to buy a deluxe AP for $25 less than through Disney. I couldn't enter my Canadian billing address online, but they were able to process my credit card over the phone. They emailed my e-ticket right away. They didn't have a toll free number, but it only took about 15 minutes on the phone.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Also wanted to add that I used way.com this morning to buy a deluxe AP for $25 less than through Disney. I couldn't enter my Canadian billing address online, but they were able to process my credit card over the phone. They emailed my e-ticket right away. They didn't have a toll free number, but it only took about 15 minutes on the phone.

I was just about to post this about way.com, we used them last year when we bought our APs and saved $25/pass. Super friendly and quick!

The next trip we are taking, we are going to drive over on the Coho to Seattle, park and fly on Southwest. Not only is SWA around the same price SEA-SNA but unlike Alaska, SWA does not ding you $25/bag each way! So, as long as the SWA tickets are $100 less for the round trip then it's the way to go for us.

We used Von's in March and to be honest, I don't think we will ever use them again. The most important thing on my order was a flat or water and they never delivered it! When I called, they refused to re-deliver it and although they promised to credit my card back the amount of the water, they never did. Terrible customer service!

We book the hotel ourselves and I find that if I book far enough in advance, I can get a really great deal. In March we stayed at DI&S for $69/night!

I was just about to post this about way.com, we used them last year when we bought our APs and saved $25/pass. Super friendly and quick!

The next trip we are taking, we are going to drive over on the Coho to Seattle, park and fly on Southwest. Not only is SWA around the same price SEA-SNA but unlike Alaska, SWA does not ding you $25/bag each way! So, as long as the SWA tickets are $100 less for the round trip then it's the way to go for us.

We used Von's in March and to be honest, I don't think we will ever use them again. The most important thing on my order was a flat or water and they never delivered it! When I called, they refused to re-deliver it and although they promised to credit my card back the amount of the water, they never did. Terrible customer service!

We book the hotel ourselves and I find that if I book far enough in advance, I can get a really great deal. In March we stayed at DI&S for $69/night!

You may be better off taking BC ferries than the Coho, which only runs twice a day and goes to Port Angeles. It's quite a drive still to Seattle from Port Angeles. Also, you have to be at the Coho terminal 1.5 hrs before the sailing to clear customs, which means you won't save any time compared to driving from Tsawassen. We've taken the Anacortes ferry, which is a much longer boat ride but a shorter drive to Seattle.

We've had good experiences with Vons. Except the first time we ordered, we got everything we ordered plus a 5lb bag of russett potatoes! :rotfl2: Not sure what we were supposed to do with those!

Re: Vons, we've also had great luck with all of our orders, highly recommend them. Aladora, do you recall if you marked beside each item if you wanted a substitute or not, if your item was out of stock? If not, then they assumed you didn't want a replacement - it takes a lot of time to go through the list and do that, (prior to checking out) but for those 'must have' items, I think it's important to state that you would like a replacement if they don't have it. It is within the ordering system, to write a small comment, and preference, etc.

Re: Phones. T-Mobile is incredible! If you have an unlocked phone... (unlocked where you can use other carrier sim cards in it.) We buy a sim card with activation code before our trip (or, if you have an Ameri-friend who can order one for you for 99 cents, on T-mobile website, and have them get it shipped to their house, and they can mail it to you, better deal.) Once activated, we go for the $2 or $3 a day plan. It includes data, and has never failed us yet. Free texting and calling between Tmobile phones, and local numbers, to call back to Canada would cost more, but, you can also download and install google voice over there, and I think you can make free calls then, but am not sure.

GREAT thread, OP, thanks for creating this, you are all offering such great and invaluable tips!! :goodvibes

You may be better off taking BC ferries than the Coho, which only runs twice a day and goes to Port Angeles. It's quite a drive still to Seattle from Port Angeles. Also, you have to be at the Coho terminal 1.5 hrs before the sailing to clear customs, which means you won't save any time compared to driving from Tsawassen. We've taken the Anacortes ferry, which is a much longer boat ride but a shorter drive to Seattle.

Hmm...

I looked at the Anacortes ferry but the only sailing leaves at noon and since it is from Sidney, we would have to leave downtown around 10ish?

BC Ferries to Tsawwassen might work, in Summer there are hourly ferries and the drive from there to Seattle is just about the same as from Port Angeles.

The Coho timing works well for us, at least on the way there. There is one that leaves at 3:00 and gets in at 4:30 then it's a 2.5 hour drive to Seattle from there.

Seems as though the Coho and BC Ferries timing is around the same, both 90 minute sailings, both 2.5 hours drive to Seattle. The real X-factor in the decision is the border crossing. Is it going to be faster to take the Coho with a known 1.5 hour wait before the ferry or to go via BC Ferries and have to be at the ferry 30 minutes before the have the unknown of the border crossing wait times.

Hmmm, indeed.

Re: Vons, we've also had great luck with all of our orders, highly recommend them. Aladora, do you recall if you marked beside each item if you wanted a substitute or not, if your item was out of stock? If not, then they assumed you didn't want a replacement - it takes a lot of time to go through the list and do that, (prior to checking out) but for those 'must have' items, I think it's important to state that you would like a replacement if they don't have it. It is within the ordering system, to write a small comment, and preference, etc.

I'm pretty sure I said that substitutions were okay but in any case, it wasn't that the flat of water was out of stock, they just forgot it! When I called and eventually got someone on the phone, they told me that they had missed adding it to my order but they refused to redeliver! :headache:

Not a huge deal, the main reason I ordered from them was to get a flat of water, we barely ate the food so I think I'll skip it next time and just grab water at the Denny's, it's only $0.99 a bottle there! :thumbsup2

I suggest you check out Allegiant air. they have service to many small airports near the Canadian boarder. They fly into LAX as well as Vegas and Phoenix. ( short drives to Anaheim)
They have amazing package deals. We were able to fly, rent a car and stay at knotts resort hotel all for less than the cost of just the airfare from Canada.

https://www.allegiantair.com/

Also I suggest the Costco.ca Southern California Citypass. You order online from Costco (pay in Canadian funds) and they deliver the passes to your door.We purchased our tickets this way and ended paying less overall for our tickets than our California friends did when they bought their tickets direct from citypass.

http://www.costco.ca/Southern-California-CityPASS.product.100094830.html

Not sure if anyone has noticed lately, but we have been looking at the Costco Citypass tickets over the past few days and it appears they only have the kids tickets. Hopefully it just temporary as we will be picking up tickets for a fall trip.

I'm pretty sure I said that substitutions were okay but in any case, it wasn't that the flat of water was out of stock, they just forgot it! When I called and eventually got someone on the phone, they told me that they had missed adding it to my order but they refused to redeliver! :headache:

Not a huge deal, the main reason I ordered from them was to get a flat of water, we barely ate the food so I think I'll skip it next time and just grab water at the Denny's, it's only $0.99 a bottle there! :thumbsup2

DOH!!! The water is definitely the most important part! You are right, 99 cents a bottle at Denny's works out pretty good, and it's always ice cold, right from that big bucket. We've ordered around 7 times, and they've never forgotten the water.

[QUOTE="Aladora"

Not a huge deal, the main reason I ordered from them was to get a flat of water, we barely ate the food so I think I'll skip it next time and just grab water at the Denny's, it's only $0.99 a bottle there! :thumbsup2[/QUOTE]

Yes!! Denny's!! Thank you for posting this! My husband and I were just discussing yesterday where it was that we got water for $1 a bottle and no way could we remember!!

Yes!! Denny's!! Thank you for posting this! My husband and I were just discussing yesterday where it was that we got water for $1 a bottle and no way could we remember!!

The store at the DI&S also has it for around a buck a bottle. We were buying two at a time and that came to $2.14

Aladora said:
The store at the DI&S also has it for around a buck a bottle. We were buying two at a time at t came to $2.14

Good to know! Thanks for the info! We are trying to decide if getting a cab to the grocery store is worth it for our 3 days or if we can manage with the few stores that are around. Don't want to waste precious time getting groceries if it's not really worth it! We normally do but are usually there for 7-10 days. Much shorter trip this time.

Have you ever flown out of Bellingham? The flights from there to LGB can be pretty good. You have to connect in Seattle or Portland though. I wonder what parking is like there compared to Seattle.

I am not from Canada, but literally live 5 minutes from the border. We fly out of Bellingham all the time. I can tell you that since 2011 the parking has tripled in size. It is all outdoor (no covered) fyi.

I don't know if hotels still do this but some will keep your car if you stay at the hotel and use their shuttle bus to and from the airport. Just a thought.

In pricing out 5 day park hoppers for one adult, one child, I was given a price of $625 CDN (taxes included), from Flight Centre.

In looking at MouseSaver, it would be $544 USD. Current bank rates for USD is 12.5% and add another 2.5% for the credit card currency conversion. The $544 USD translates to $627.30 (today's rates).

Given that the CDN dollar is expected to drop, this cost will only go higher.

This certainly isn't a knock on MouseSaver as they are a wealth of information and there are savings to be had, but for us Canadians, it's worthwhile to at least get a cost from Flight Centre. I believe the 5 day PH is worthwhile to buy from them, but the 4 day PH should be purchased through MouseSaver/Ares.

And in case you wanted to know breakdowns of Flight Centre prices (taxes in):

5 day PH Adult = $324 CDN
5 day PH Child = $301 CDN

4 day PH Adult = $317 CDN
4 day PH Child = $295 CDN

If you can find this canuck a good deal on a one day ticket let me know! I need more than a 5 day hopper.

If you can find this canuck a good deal on a one day ticket let me know! I need more than a 5 day hopper.

Have you checked way.com?

They have pretty good prices on Disneyland tickets.

1 day hoppers are $128.00

If you are planning on going back to DL within 12 months then you might want to look at getting APs. We did that last September and it has been WELL worth our while. Of course, without them we might not have gone 3 times in the year but...:rolleyes1

Three 5 day hoppers would have cost us $825.00 each but our deluxe APs were only $475.00. :banana:

Good to know! Thanks for the info! We are trying to decide if getting a cab to the grocery store is worth it for our 3 days or if we can manage with the few stores that are around. Don't want to waste precious time getting groceries if it's not really worth it! We normally do but are usually there for 7-10 days. Much shorter trip this time.

There is a convenience store at the Ramada Maingate that has essentials if you don't want to make a special trip to a grocery store.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand your question. Are you going for 6 days, and you already have a 5 day hopper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter