O'CanaDis! Calling all Canucks for DLR tips

Rubygoose

Everybody's got a laughing place
Here are some tips specific to Canadians traveling to DLR:
info updated 04/16/2014

Flights:
When flying from Canada, we are pretty much limited to WestJet, Air Canada (sometimes operated by United Air), and Alaska Airlines (Alaska Airlines from Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary and Edmonton only). It's a good idea to subscribe to e-mails to get alerts from these airlines, and to check their websites often for seat sales. WestJet and Air Canada fly into LAX and SNA, whereas Alaska Airlines fly into LAX, SNA and LGB.

Many Canadians who live near the border choose to fly from the nearest U.S. airport in order to save significantly on airfare. Even with the cost of staying overnight in a hotel and parking your car, you will still end up saving money. Also, by flying out of the U.S. you will have more airlines to choose from, such as Allegiant, Jet Blue and Southwest, who do not service Canadian cities.

Hotel:
Many Canadians choose to book hotels directly. However, if you book your hotel through a Canadian travel agent, expedia.ca, or through points such as Air Miles, you can pay in Canadian funds. However, you will normally pay in advance with this option.

Starwoods hotels can be booked using points if you have a Starwoods American Express card. The Sheraton Anaheim Hotel is part of Starwoods.

Canadians can book hotel packages through Costco Travel. Costco will direct you to the hotel's website and you will get a discount as a costco member. Canadians cannot book airfare through Costco Travel. Make sure you are on Costco.com and not .ca

Park Passes:
It is a good idea to purchase your park passes in Canada rather than buying them at the gates or online because of the current poor exchange rate between the Canadian and U.S. dollar. Also, most Canadian credit cards charge a 2.5% foreign currency fee in addition to exchange. Here are some ways to purchase park tickets in Canada:

- Air Miles: if you collect air miles, you can redeem your "dream miles" for 3 or 5 day parkhopper passes. Currently, Disneyland park hopper tickets are listed at: adult 3 day PH for 2160 and 5 day PH for reward miles 2350 reward miles, child 3 day PH for 2025 and 5 day PH for 2195 miles. These can be upgraded to 4 day park hoppers or annual passes.

-Flight Centre: they often have park tickets for a significant savings and these are sold in Canadian dollars. You do not need to book a vacation package through Flight Centre in order to buy the park tickets. Here is a link to their website: http://www.flightcentre.ca/vacations/disneyland

-Costco: you can purchase the SoCal Citypass at costco.ca. Sometimes the price for the citypass is the same as purchasing a 3-day parkhopper ticket at the gate. So, even if you are not going to visit SeaWorld or Universal, the Citypass may still be a good deal for you. These can also be upgraded to 4 or 5 day parkhoppers or annual passes. http://www.costco.ca/Southern-California-CityPASS.product.100094830.html

-CAA/BCAA: if you are a member, you can purchase your passes through your province's CAA affiliate. Here's a link to BCAA: http://www.bcaa.com/trip-planning/trip-planning-tools/disneyland-tickets

-through airlines or travel agents: if you are booking a vacation package, park tickets can purchased as an add on. It's a good idea to compare the price offered to the alternatives listed above before purchasing.

-through Mousesavers/Ares (but it is a good idea to calculate the exchange rate and foreign exchange fee on your credit card and compare this rate to Flight Centre)

-Way.com sells discounted Disneyland park tickets and annual passes. Canadians cannot purchase these online, but you can phone them and they can process your credit card over the phone.

Rental Cars:
-Air Miles: you can use Air Miles or cash to rent a car via their website
-Costco: on the american Costco website, you can find a good deal on rental cars.

Earning reward miles/reward points:
Alaska Airlines Master Card will give you a $99 companion fare (plus taxes and fees) once a year. You also receive 25,000 bonus miles when you are approved. Many one way flights from Canadian cities to LAX, SNA or LGB can be purchased for 20,000 miles, with some flights popping up at 12,500 miles. There is an annual fee of $75CDN for this card.

Air Miles: you can collect air miles to use towards hotel stays, airfare, park tickets and rental cars. A great way to rack up the airmiles is to use one of their credit cards, such as the BMO mastercard (free) or Amex ($65 but fee waved for the first year). If you shop at Safeway, they often offer spend $100 earn 100 air miles, along with other promotions where you buy specific products to earn x number of air miles.

Save on More points: you can redeem your points for Alaska Airlines vouchers. A "Zone 3" flight from Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary or Edmonton to Lax, SNA, LGB and many other California airports is currently 129,000 reward points or 20,000 reward points plus $579. More Rewards also offers a $125 Uniglobe travel certificate to be used with Westjet for 48,000 points or 21,000 points plus $69. You can also redeem reward points towards gift certificates for vacation packages through Alaska Air, Escapes.ca and Uniglobe travel. More Rewards can also be redeemed towards hotel gift cards for Accent Inns, Best Western, Coast Hotels, Marriott, and Sandman. Reward points can be redeemed for gift cards for Alamo and National car rental.

Misc:
Ordering groceries from Von's
-It's a great idea to order groceries and have them delivered to your hotel room. This saves you a trip to the grocery store and you don't have to worry about packing too many snacks. Many travelers order diapers since they take up so much room in a suitcase. Just bring enough from home for the first day and order the rest. Vons (part of Safeway) deliver for free on your first order over $50.
Here's a thread about using a Canadian credit card on Von's website. I haven't personally had any problems ordering online, but I put "92802" in for the zip code rather than my own postal code. This doesn't work with all credit card types, though. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2651760

Shopping online for souvenirs:
If you like to shop online from American sites, you can have your purchases delivered to your hotel and take advantage of free shipping deals that are not normally available to Canadians. Shipping from the Disney store to Canada can be very expensive, but if you hit a sale just right, you can purchase your souvenirs ahead of time and take advantage of the sales. Always check with your hotel first, though, to make sure they will hold your parcel for you.

Renting strollers from City Stroller Anaheim:
http://www.citystrollerrentals.com/Disneyland-Stroller-Rentals.html
Many airlines will gate check your stroller, and usually a stroller does not count as a piece of luggage. However, if can be very awkward to bring a stroller along with you through an airport. Also, some families don't use strollers at home any more, but still like to have one at DLR. You can rent a single or double stroller from Anaheim City Stroller rentals and they deliver it to your hotel and pick it up from the hotel. You don't have to be there to receive the stroller - the hotel will keep it at the bell desk for you, and this is where you return it. You can pay using paypal on their website.

Cell phone use:
http://www.roammobility.com/
Roam mobility sells a SIM card that you can buy in Canada that you insert into your unlocked smartphone. When you register the sim card you will receive a U.S. phone number that is yours to keep. Then you sign up for airtime on their website. You can purchase one, three, seven, fourteen or thirty day plans that include talk, text and data. The sim cards are available at many places including London Drugs, Staples and through Roam Mobility's website.

Some Canadians choose to purchase an inexpensive pay and talk phone from walmart or seven eleven when they arrive. (I haven't done this personally, so anyone who has more info, please let me know.)

T-Mobile: If you have an unlocked phone... (unlocked where you can use other carrier sim cards in it.) Buy a sim card with activation code before your trip or, if you have an Ameri-friend who can order one for you for 99 cents, on T-mobile website, and have them get it shipped to their house, and they can mail it to you. Once activated, go for the $2 or $3 a day plan which includes data. Free texting and calling between Tmobile phones, and local numbers. Long distance charges apply for Calling back to Canada (or calling someone you are traveling with who is using a roaming plan from their Canadian cell carrier.)

Photo Pass +
You can order this online 14 days or more before your trip. You will not have to pay shipping charges for the package that comes with your voucher, but if you choose to get your images on a disc there will be a $14 charge. You can choose to get the digital copy of your images instead of the disc and you will not have any additional charges.

I'll start with Air Miles. I didn't realize that Air Miles were not available to the U.S. until just recently. It's a great perk for Canadians. You can get a regular card and collect points at participating retailers, or you can sign up for their credit card (in my case cards. I love my air miles Amex :lovestruc) and earn airmiles on all of your purchases. Currently, Disneyland park hopper tickets are listed at 2160 reward miles for a 3 day adult-hopper ticket, 2350 reward miles for a 5 day PH, 2025 for a child's 3 day park hopper and 2195 for a child's 5 day PH. I don't believe there are shipping charges or any other fees involved in ordering these passes, but I haven't yet ordered them myself, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another tickets related tip for Canadians is to order your tickets through Flight Centre. You do not need to book your entire vacation through Flight Centre in order to buy your park tickets through them. Sometimes you can find really good deals on tickets here and get a significant savings. However, even if the prices are similar to gate prices, it is better to buy them through Flight Centre since they are in Canadian dollars. Then you still end up saving when the exchange rate is bad (as it is right now :() and you will not have to pay a foreign exchange % on your credit card.

Hey we just got back from WDW in Feb and now I need my Disneyland! I'm planning a trip Oct 8-15 for my 50th birthday. We are from Edmonton Alberta. I think I want to stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn as it's so close to the gate

A couple things I would suggest for potential cost savings. For tickets, if you are planning to go to Universal/SeaWorld and Disney, Costco has the Citypass. Its a pretty good deal and you can upgrade the park hoppers to 5 days. We have done this a few times. Its probably an even better deal now with the dollar dropping.

We are in Vancouver, but we usually fly out of Seattle and into Long Beach (LGB). For tickets in November, we are paying $158 return per person on Alaska. JetBlue also has great prices and free bags. In Seattle, we take advantage of park stay and fly deals which typically cost about the same as parking at YVR if you are going for more than a week.

Its a couple hour drive to Seattle but worth the $200+ per ticket airline ticket savings.

A couple things I would suggest for potential cost savings. For tickets, if you are planning to go to Universal/SeaWorld and Disney, Costco has the Citypass. Its a pretty good deal and you can upgrade the park hoppers to 5 days. We have done this a few times. Its probably an even better deal now with the dollar dropping.

We are in Vancouver, but we usually fly out of Seattle and into Long Beach (LGB). For tickets in November, we are paying $158 return per person on Alaska. JetBlue also has great prices and free bags. In Seattle, we take advantage of park stay and fly deals which typically cost about the same as parking at YVR if you are going for more than a week.

Its a couple hour drive to Seattle but worth the $200+ per ticket airline ticket savings.

Wow, that's an amazing price!

As we are in SW Ontario, we fly out of either Buffalo or Detroit to get to California. Last year Detroit was cheaper but it seems like Buffalo might win out this year which is a much shorter drive for us.

For those Vancouverites check out Westjet online for cheap seats. If you haunt their website on a weekly basis you can find cheap seats to SNA (Orange County/John Wayne) Airport. I perfer to fly into SNA over LAX, as SNA is much closer, as well as cheaper to get transportation to DL from their airport. I was able to for my Nov/13 trip get first class seats for $200 less than economy from a Westjet seat sale. Frequently Westjet and Air Canada will have comparable prices when it comes to seat sales. So it's a matter of finding a good price and locking in early. I can recommend BWPPI, as I stayed there in Nov/13. The only thing negative is that their WIFI sucks, but that's the only bad thing I can say about them. You can't beat the close proximity to the parks, and it's a basic, clean, good hotel. Their free breakfast is decent as well.

One more tip that we have used. If you sign up for the Alaska Air MBNA card, they give you a $99 companion fare, and enough miles to fly return from Vancouver/Seattle to California.

This would only work if you qualify for the card (and one-time). But in theory for a family of three, you could pay 1 full fare, one $99 fare and 1 person free. (although if you fly out of YVR, the taxes add up a bit)

My best tip would be to agree with the above about flying out of the US. We live closer to our nearest US airport then any of our Canadian ones and the price difference is amazing. About half the cost of flying out of Canada... from where we live anyways.

One more tip that we have used. If you sign up for the Alaska Air MBNA card, they give you a $99 companion fare, and enough miles to fly return from Vancouver/Seattle to California.

This would only work if you qualify for the card (and one-time). But in theory for a family of three, you could pay 1 full fare, one $99 fare and 1 person free. (although if you fly out of YVR, the taxes add up a bit)

The Alaska airlines MC is great. I signed up for it last year and so did DH, so we got 25,000 miles each. Then we found a flight from SNA to Victoria for 12,500 miles plus $5. So, we got 4 of us home for $20! Then, we canceled the card. Just recently I decided to get the card again and they gave us 25000 bonus miles again! The $99 companion fare ends up being closer to $200 for us, though, with the airport fees :eek: The card has an annual fee of $75, but I think it was worth it for the bonus miles. I don't think it's worth it to keep for a second year though, especially since they'll give you bonus miles if you cancel and then apply again.

For those Vancouverites check out Westjet online for cheap seats. If you haunt their website on a weekly basis you can find cheap seats to SNA (Orange County/John Wayne) Airport. I perfer to fly into SNA over LAX, as SNA is much closer, as well as cheaper to get transportation to DL from their airport. I was able to for my Nov/13 trip get first class seats for $200 less than economy from a Westjet seat sale. Frequently Westjet and Air Canada will have comparable prices when it comes to seat sales. So it's a matter of finding a good price and locking in early. I can recommend BWPPI, as I stayed there in Nov/13. The only thing negative is that their WIFI sucks, but that's the only bad thing I can say about them. You can't beat the close proximity to the parks, and it's a basic, clean, good hotel. Their free breakfast is decent as well.

Wow! You found a great deal! I never would have imagined first class could be cheaper than coach! We did a vacation package through westjet when they had kids fly free. First they charged me tax for the kids but then refunded it because they realized that was an error in their promotion. For 4 nights at Ramada Maingate and flights from Vancouver I think it was $750 per adult! We didn't like flying westjet from Victoria, though, because you would have to connect in Calgary! Talk about backtracking! But now that Westjet flies between Victoria and Vancouver, we might try them again.

My best tip would be to agree with the above about flying out of the US. We live closer to our nearest US airport then any of our Canadian ones and the price difference is amazing. About half the cost of flying out of Canada... from where we live anyways.

I agree. It's all in the "taxes and fees" that makes it more expensice to fly from Canada. If you look at the details of the fees for flights from Canada, you'll seee $16 for customs or something like that. Sure adds up quick. Unfortunately for us, getting off Vancouver Island by ferry and driving to Bellingham or Seattle, staying at a hotel and parking takes away from any savings from taking a U.S. flight.

Great tips everyone! Keep 'em coming!

How about booking hotels? Do you book directly? Through a travel agent? Through expedia.ca? Through Air Miles? How about using CAA? I don't have BCAA right now, but my car insurance is coming up for renewal soon, so I might get it if it's helpful for hotel discounts.

Have you ever flown out of Bellingham? The flights from there to LGB can be pretty good. You have to connect in Seattle or Portland though. I wonder what parking is like there compared to Seattle.

...groceries from VONS with a Canadian Credit card

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2651760

This is so handy to not have to grocery shop .
CAA or AMA or whatever accronym it is for your said province also sells park hoppers I think they are in Canadian dollars too.

Before you book look at what your holidays are but then look and see what the local holidays are in California. On our first trip we booked for Alberta Family Day, not realizing that was also US President's Day.

We book directly but we stay on site.
I booked with AMA in 2013 but they charge a 40$ per person fee ( up to 80$) which to me is not worth the discount. But we were not saving much with them since we are APs. I had good prices from expedia when I booked years ago.

If you are a Costco member, their car rental deals cannot be beat. You must use the US site and click on the tab marked travel at the top of the page. I rented a full size car for 6 days for $107 in September and $198 for 12 days in January. This included taxes. I have a Visa card that covers the insurance part. Both of these rentals were pick up and drop off at LAX

Have you ever flown out of Bellingham? The flights from there to LGB can be pretty good. You have to connect in Seattle or Portland though. I wonder what parking is like there compared to Seattle.

Parking is pretty cheap in Bellingham. We have used it for Hawaii (on Alaska). The flights on Allegiant can be pretty cheap, but they nickel-and-dime you for everything and we found the savings to not be that great.

I am also from Van but live in NZ now, we also find when heading home that it is better to fly to Seattle and rent a car to drive up than fly into yvr...even with the cost of a rental car it is still cheaper

I'm hoping to use this thread to gather tips for Canadians traveling to DLR. The Canadian forum is mainly East Coasters traveling to WDW, and I don't find it very helpful for us DLR Canucks. In the last month, I've had 3 friends ask me for tips for traveling from Victoria to Disneyland, so I wanted to start compiling my O'CanaDis tips here. Please add anything you can think of that would be helpful for Canadians traveling to Disneyland.

I'm from Victoria and am in DL right now!

I'll add to this thread when we get home next weekend but if your friends have specific questions about Victoria/Disneyland, please feel free to send me a pm and I'll try and answer them! This is our fifth trip so I've run the numbers for traveling from our little island.

A couple of more tips. BWPPI accepts the Canadian version of AAA. The discount on rooms can be quite good there. You just have to bring your BCAA or other CDN version with you and show it at check in. Also if you take your BCAA (or CDN equivalent) on your trip, you can get a I think 10% off Earl of Sandwich. While they did give me a strange look at EOS when I gave it to them when I ordered they did honor the discount. We personally love Westjet and have flown with them many times, and we use them whenever possible when travelling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter