Observations and Tips from July 6-11 Trip

Congo Queen

DLand Devotee Since 1966
Quick report from my fun-filled family vacation July 6-11. Stayed again at DLH and loved it. A few things to pass on:

· Fantasmic: The dinner package sections for BB and RBT are one section now. People with tix from both dinner venues get to sit in the premium spot right against the railing and dead-center on ROA. I did BB dinner package on a Tuesday 7/7 for 9pm show and there was plenty of room even though the section had all the RBT and BB people. More people could have found unobstructed and seated spots right up until the show started. We arrived one hour before show time and got a seat right against the railing. (I actually prefer to sit back a bit so as not to have to peer through the railing but my 12-year-old wanted to be as close as possible.) The cost of the RBT dinner is less than BB, and if I do this again in the future, I am definitely saving the dough and going to RBT. And I am not going to fret about being there super early for F!– finally paying a premium means much less waiting which is what I have always wanted and never received out of the WOC dinner package and the old F! dessert package. FYI- the whole NOS area is pretty crowded and hard to traverse any time after 6pm so we avoided it all together the rest of the week in the evening.

· Fireworks and PTN Parade: We saw the fireworks and PTN parade twice each. The first time was on Tuesday when we watched fireworks right after F! by staying put in our spot at ROA. It was OK view (nice to sit, not crowded, easy to stay in same place), but you miss out on all the charming and more immersive imagery that is going on over at the hub and on Main Street. Then same night, after fireworks were over, we took our time walking over to hub. It was crazy w people flooding out of Dland, but we found a place right across from the Matterhorn to sit for an hour and wait for the 11pm PTN. We had the nice BB F! cushions so that helped and we had a front row seat. We were getting pretty tired, but all worth it as we had a wonderful view of PTN which is a pretty fun parade. Both my kids (18 and 12) loved it. Later that week on Friday we watched the 9pm PTN parade from our table at Plaza Inn (having just eaten a mound of delicious fried chix). The view was not great, but we stood up and looked between the gaps in the hedges and saw enough to make a satisfying second viewing. We then surged into Main Street once PTN ended to find a position for the fireworks. We were in the street between the hub and Coke Corner. It was hard to see w so many tall people in front of us (we are all under 5’4’’) but were able to see OK. The castle light show was amazing, and we all loved when the Matterhorn turned into Mt Wannahockaloogy. When I go back next I am going to really strategize on getting a better fireworks view.

· EMH/MM: For Dland, EMH/MM is really, really worth getting up early for. From 7am to 11am is the only pleasant time of day in terms of crowds. From noon on it just gets more and more unbearable. Main Street and ROA are crazy crowded from 6pm – 11:30pm with the various shows and CMs channeling people through one-directional roped alleys. DCA on the other hand was much easier to navigate all day, much less stressful in terms of crowds. EMH/MM in DCA is good to do too if you want several back to back no-waiting rides on TSMM or Screamin. But if you want to sleep a bit more DCA is still pretty great throughout the later morning hours – for example at 9am we were able to walk on RSR by using the single rider line.

· Matterhorn Single Rider: This is no longer a guaranteed short wait. CMs working the line are trying their very best to prioritize loading people from standby, even if it means reaching way back into the line to find the final few they need. CMs used to quickly turn to single rider line to fill the final slots– no more. That means as a single rider you can stand there for a good 15 to 20 mins before getting into a sled (which is still much better than the 50-60 min standby line). Just be prepared and keep smiling as the CMs seem to find the scowling single riders even more invisible.

· Peter Pan: They did a really nice job on the refurb. It is still the ride to hit first thing on your MM/EMH. We did this twice (getting to the Dland gates about 30 min before EMH/MM opening ) and both times we walked w purpose to PP and were able to ride it with a 5-7 minute wait. Then we were ahead of the wave, able to walk on Alice, Dumbo, and all the other Fantasyland rides.

Sounds like a wonderful time and a smart strategy for maximizing your time there. May I ask...what is RBT? Is that River Belle Terrace? Please explain the dinner package there? What choices are there and how much? Thanks!

We were there at the same time and I agree about NOS and the Hub being CRAZY in the evening. We didn't want to pay for our Fantasmic spot so we got Blue fastpasses. That was a total waste of time and I left. We also watched it from Cafe Orleans after dinner. You can only see it from a small area there but it was nice to sit. So the lesson learned - either get yellow FP or pay for a dinner package.

My best tip is for the Main Street fireworks that my son came up with. You browse the shops by the Crystal Palace while the PTN parade goes by and when it is done, get out quick and file into the street with the people who had been watching the parade. If you go out too early the CM will make you keep walking. The spot in the street in front of the crystal palace is really good for the store projections.

My favorite parade spot was pixie hollow for both parades, but I never did the 830 PTN because people lined up for it at least 1 1/2 hours ahead. Pixie hollow has an open area with a shady spot while you're waiting for the daytime parade and across the walkway there are benches you can get about 30 min prior to the 11pm parade. If not the open Pixie Hollow space was still open at parade time.

Yes RBT is River Belle Terrace. Below is the info from the disneyland website on both the RBT and BB dinig packages for F! As you can see RBT is $20 less per adult which adds up for our family of four people over the age of 10. I could have saved $80 and had the same viewing section if we had dined at RBT instead of BB.

Distinctive Dining, Electrifying Entertainment

Ready yourself for an unforgettable feast for the senses featuring a full-service dinner and a slew of visual delights. Book a package that includes a 3-course meal and a FASTPASS ticket to a reserved area to see Mickey triumph over nefarious forces in Fantasmic!, a dazzling musical extravaganza.

Your enchanted evening begins at a beloved Disneyland Park dining destination and continues with the awesome pyrotechnics of Fantasmic! in this new dinner-and-a-show experience. Please Note: The Fantasmic! reserved viewing area is separate from the dining location.

Beginning December 12, 2014, choose from Blue Bayou Restaurant or River Belle Terrace and enjoy:

• A 3-course dinner (starter, entrée and dessert)
  • One (1) Fantasmic! FASTPASS ticket for admission to a reserved viewing area for a designated showing of Fantasmic! that day
Whether your wish is for the romantic twilight of the bayou or something more casual, these storied locations steep you within atmospheres of rustic charm—with picturesque river views setting the mood for the magical entertainment to come.

Blue Bayou Restaurant

• Start time: 4:00 PM
  • Package Pricing: $61.00 per adult; $23.00 per child (ages 3 to 9)
River Belle Terrace*

• Start time: 3:00 PM
  • Package pricing: $41.99 per adult; $21.99 per child (ages 3 to 9)
*Breakfast will be served till 2:00 PM.

All Fantasmic! Dining Packages are for dinner only. Tax and gratuity are not included in package prices.

Reservations
For reservations, you can book online or call (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

· Matterhorn Single Rider: This is no longer a guaranteed short wait. CMs working the line are trying their very best to prioritize loading people from standby, even if it means reaching way back into the line to find the final few they need. CMs used to quickly turn to single rider line to fill the final slots– no more. That means as a single rider you can stand there for a good 15 to 20 mins before getting into a sled (which is still much better than the 50-60 min standby line). Just be prepared and keep smiling as the CMs seem to find the scowling single riders even more invisible.

This appears to be variable based on the technique of the CM loading the ride. I've ridden Matterhorn single rider a few times and never waited longer than 5 min. My son rode it 4-5 times on the same day last week and never waited more than 5-10 minutes.

Gosh I hope so as my grand kids love the single rider pass. I think it might be closed when we are there though (Aug. 5, 6, and 7th)

Hmm, the RBT is actually good news for us. We had planned on doing a BB pkg. But if we do RBT, we can diverst the money saved towards a BB lunch on a different day and we'll get to do both for about the same we would've spent anyway.

This appears to be variable based on the technique of the CM loading the ride. I've ridden Matterhorn single rider a few times and never waited longer than 5 min. My son rode it 4-5 times on the same day last week and never waited more than 5-10 minutes.

Great to know. We must have just been unlucky the three times we rode Matterhorn that week. Each time it was in the morning so maybe if we waited to ride later in the day the CMs would have treated the single riders more generously.

There is definitely a difference in which CM is working the "grouping" for Matterhorn. We had an older gentleman working it and was great at grouping and moving the single riders through. We had a younger female CM that was trying to highly discourage us from using single rider and then almost would do everything (pull from the standby queue, very far back) to try not to use a single rider. So, YMMV......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter