• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Obama Seeks $634 Billion for Health Care

Medical coverage is one area I agree needs improvement. Everyone should be able to get insurance coverage and nobody should have to choose between buying food or medicine. Getting sick is not a choice, it just happens to people. Even with medicare, my parents are paying huge amounts of money out of pocket to treat my father's illness.

I don't know what the answer is, but everyone should have some type of medical coverage. I have no problem with my taxes paying for this.

That's not really what I asked for, which was a cite pertaining to McCain encouraging employers to drop coverage. I'll settle for an opinion as to why McCain's plan would have done so. Why do I care, because I'm pretty sure that taxing some health benefits is a given at this point, that Obama does not have an actual plan as of yet, that he's examining ways to fund a lot of good intentions as we speak, and this is a fairly easy one.

j's m said:
But isn't there a difference between better compensated (a way better health plan) and a health plan that is so **** expensive because of older people and pre-existing conditions? We have been getting up to 25% annual increases in our group health insurance every year, also because it's a small group of 2.

My DS has a pre-existing condition that would keep us from changing insurance companies, not that they would be any cheaper. And raising the deductible would be too prohibitive with pre-existing conditions.

Good question. Having no idea how one would codify that kind of fairness into the system up front, I can't answer you. But we can expect the problem of pre-existing conditions to get a lot of attention in the near future. This is a big plus, and as it's likely to affect all other areas of health care coverage, I wouldn't give up hope yet.

I just want to clarify, esp to Cindy belle - I am not saying that I don't want to pay for my health service. I am more than well aware of what we in the UK pay in national insurance contributions.

When I said I would hate to worry about the cost of treatment (with regards to the US system) I was meaning I would hate to be in the position of worrying if my insurance would cover the cost of treatment/increase of premiums/loss of cover due to 'existing conditions'/risk of bankrupty after some treatments or illnesses. I was not stating I didn't want to pay for it!!!!

I am happy to pay for my health service, and yes we do know it's not 'free' in the UK - we pay for it through our taxes. But it is a cradle to grave service - no one is exempt - regardless of previous medical history, and no one in the UK is at risk of bankrupty if they become ill.

FYI, we have prescription charges over here for medications -

Prescription: £7.10
12-month Prepayment Certificate (PPC): £102.50
3-month PPC: £27.85

NHS costs and exemptions

Entitlement to help with health costs (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs) is based on the principle that those who can afford to contribute should do so; while those who are likely to have difficulty in paying should be protected.

For prescriptions there are exemptions from charges - children under age of 16yrs, pregnant women, pensioners, and recently I think also cancer patients, to name just a few. In Wales they have no prescription charges for anyone.

Drug companies put on a huge mark up on their products, a HUGE mark up, even if prices were capped they'd still be making a profit.

Di x

Why do I care, because I'm pretty sure that taxing some health benefits is a given at this point, that Obama does not have an actual plan as of yet, that he's examining ways to fund a lot of good intentions as we speak, and this is a fairly easy one.

Here is lastest article I could find about the Obama-Biden Health Plan from Medical New Today (written Feb 27,2009.)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/140494.php

ok, that's pretty much what I was talking about. (Obama's plan, not McCain's.) It's a budget, it sets the stage for health care reform, but it isn't reforming anything and doesn't claim to be. We've yet to begin that.

The Budget establishes a reserve fund of more than $630 billion over 10 years to finance fundamental reform of our health care system that will bring down costs and expand coverage. The reserve is funded half by new revenue and half by savings proposals that promote efficiency and accountability, align incentives toward quality, and encourage shared responsibility. In addition, the Budget calls for an effort beyond this down payment, to put the Nation on a path to health insurance coverage for all Americans. However, additional funding will be needed. This effort must be open, and must consider all kinds of approaches as part of this process.

We can argue until the cows come home, but Obama's healthcare plan is ambiguous. Healthcare experts can't agree on what it means. I don't think, anyone knows at this time. Everyone knows we need healthcare reform, so when Obama says he's "GIVING HEALTHCARE", it's all some need to hear. He's fulfilling a campaign promise and it gives an excuse to ask for $634 Billion.

Are we really ready to accept the unknown because "it's better than what we have now"? How do we know? What he's offereing may not be what some think. Have you ever heard the phrase, "It's too good to be true?" You can only raise taxes for so long and there won't be enough "rich" people to fund it forever. Eventually, the chickens will come home to roost. Wait, isn't that what's happening now....with housing and banking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter