Obama Seeks $634 Billion for Health Care

Honest question here. Can you tell me 3 things that you trust the government to do for you BETTER than you can do for yourself, when given YOUR money to take care of it? Or easier yet, what do you honestly feel they really do well?

Buiding Roads, Schools, & Hospitals.

The "no bid" contracts is actually something called LOG-CAPS and was started under the Clinton adminstration in order to streamline the bid process to make it more efficent.

Some people dont deserve healthcare. Period.

If you are drinking, smoking, drugging, couch potatoing and eating yourself into oblivion, why should I pay for it since I do none of that? In fact, I get up at 0430 every morning to keep myself healthy, I dont drink, I dont smoke, I dont do drugs, etc but I get to subsidized someone elses bad habits.

If you are gang banging and I am a law abiding citizen, why should I pay to patch you knife/bullet holes?

Liberalism is not grounded in any rational thought.

:eek:

This post goes back to one of what I see as the main difference between liberals and conservatives: The way we view our fellow citizens.

I believe that there are more good people in America than bad people, and if I have to subsidize the minority of people who aren't responsible in order to make sure that the good people get the help they need-then that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm not going to label an entire philosophy as lacking compassion for others and terrified that some unworthy person might receive help-but I've sure seen some individuals that make me wonder.

Are you comparing those companies and their employees to the above?

BTW, your dog is beautiful!

Only in the sense that just because a entity employs many people, it doesn't give it a licence to print money.

Thanks about our Boxer...she's got a little brother as well.

Once again, the thing that annoys me about these plans is that it continually looks to one group of people for its funding. I am very interested in how the tax deduction changes would be made. The mortgage interest and charitable contribution deductions are two of the most important for my personal income taxes, and I would definitely like to see more details.

I'm sorry, but I'm never going to stop being annoyed that I am viewed as some sort of well that the federal government can keep coming back to because "I can afford it." I'm also never going to stop being annoyed that I will spend my entire life paying for programs from which I will likely never even be eligible to benefit. I exempt Social Security and Medicare from that, because there's a possibility that I'll get something out of it; not nearly anything remotely resembling what I put in, but at least I'll get something.

Isn't taxing health benefits one thing that McCain wanted? But now since Obama says it, it's ok.

How would it work for us? DH and I are self employed, so we would get to deduct the insurance as a business expense and then get taxed on it personally? Is it fair that we are paying way more than large companies for medical insurance because we are a small business? Is it fair that we would be taxed on our inflated premiums?

That's not true. Obama's plan is including a small business tax credit to help with the premiums and allowing to provide affordable insurance to their employees. Mccain would of not had any of this because he thought the economy was stable and growing, just food for thought.

This post goes back to one of what I see as the main difference between liberals and conservatives: The way we view our fellow citizens.

I believe that there are more good people in America than bad people, and if I have to subsidize the minority of people who aren't responsible in order to make sure that the good people get the help they need-then that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm not going to label an entire philosophy as lacking compassion for others and terrified that some unworthy person might receive help-but I've sure seen some individuals that make me wonder.

I would say that the main difference between liberals and conservatives is the way we view the "Goose that lays the Golden Egg". Conservatives are more concerned about the health of the goose!

Honest question here. Can you tell me 3 things that you trust the government to do for you BETTER than you can do for yourself, when given YOUR money to take care of it? Or easier yet, what do you honestly feel they really do well?

Major construction projects (like a PP mentioned)

Educating other people's kids (over all, public schools are a good thing-they can, and should be better-but they still do a pretty good job overall)

Providing health care for large groups of individuals (they've been doing it for years with the FEHB-all federal workers are under that plan. I was under it for my entire life, except the last 11 years and I had ZERO complaints)

Defense

Law enforcement

I would say that the main difference between liberals and conservatives is the way we view the "Goose that lays the Golden Egg". Conservatives are more concerned about the health of the goose!

Yeah...even if the eggs it lays are rotten. :teeth:

There is no such thing as the greater good anymore. People will only donate to charities if they get a kickback on taxes and would rather take their money and put it towards a Cadillac then getting a kia and giving some to their local communities. There are more problems with the U.S. then the economy, and alot of them are being portrayed in this thread unfortunately.

There is no such thing as the greater good anymore. People will only donate to charities if they get a kickback on taxes and would rather take their money and put it towards a Cadillac then getting a kia and giving some to their local communities. There are more problems with the U.S. then the economy, and alot of them are being portrayed in this thread unfortunately.

My faith tells me that you help people whether they are worthy of it or not. Charity is important, and while I don't want to get into a competition of who gives more-I'm sure many here donate generously. Sometimes, though the best way to help the most people is through a government program-like education or health care.

Not where I live. The projects are bid on by Private companies and whoever gets the bid builds it. Not government workers, they want it built in a time frame not in a lifetime.

but doesn't your state or local government hire those companies? Don't they appropriate the funds?

I think they do the following better than individuals:
-law enforcement
-social safety net (providing for people when they hit hard times)
-defense
-fighting poverty
-getting health care to people who can't afford it
-prisons
-sanitation

That's 6, and I'm sure there are more.

My faith tells me that you help people whether they are worthy of it or not. Charity is important, and while I don't want to get into a competition of who gives more-I'm sure many here donate generously. Sometimes, though the best way to help the most people is through a government program-like education or health care.

:thumbsup2 Some things are simply too important to be left up to the tender mercies of charity.

Not where I live. The projects are bid on by Private companies and whoever gets the bid builds it. Not government workers, they want it built in a time frame not in a lifetime.

The Department of Public Works handles all road construction by using public engineers and construction workers. Schools and Hospitals are architected by the commissioner's office of your county/state and the implementation is then passed off for bid. Private contractors are used as construction workers only in these situations, but the government controls the process.

but doesn't your state or local government hire those companies? Don't they appropriate the funds?

I guess I misunderstood. I thought it was about depending on the government to do something right. They only steal our money and dole it out to their pet projects. Private companies do most of the work and then some governments that appropriate that money force that only union shops do the work.

We are contractors. I can tell, first hand, that government run projects, for the most part, run incompetently. I have yet to see a government run project run better than a privately run one. The paperwork and bureaucracy alone makes it inefficient.

Secondly, most of those projects are done by the government, just paid for by the government. Not that general contractors are far superior, but the government doesn't do it better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter