• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Obama helps makes Science popular again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JARNJ3

DIS Veteran
Great day for America and will be a boost for the economy!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/09/obama-science-memo-goes-b_n_172987.html

Obama Science Memo Goes Beyond Stem Cells
stumble digg reddit del.ico.us mixx.com PHILIP ELLIOTT | March 9, 2009 12:01 PM EST |

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said Monday he is allowing federal taxpayer dollars to fund significantly broader research on embryonic stem cells because "medical miracles do not happen simply by accident," and promised his administration would make up for the ground lost under his predecessor.

Fulfilling a campaign promise, Obama signed an executive order expected to set in motion increased research that supporters believe could uncover cures for serious ailments from diabetes to paralysis. Obama's action, before a packed East Room audience, reverses former President George W. Bush's policy on stem cell research by undoing a 2001 directive that banned federal funding for research into stem lines created after that date.

Bush limited the use of taxpayer money to only the 21 stem cell lines that had been produced before his decision. He argued he was defending human life because days-old embryos _ although typically from fertility clinics and already destined for destruction _ are destroyed to create the stem cell lines.

The Obama order reverses that without addressing a separate legislative ban, which precludes any federal money paying for the development of stem cell lines. The legislation, however, does not prevent funds for research on those lines created without federal funding.

Researchers say the newer lines created with private money during the period of the Bush ban are healthier and better suited to creating treatment for diseases. Embryonic stem cells are master cells that can morph into any cell of the body. Scientists hope to harness them so they can create replacement tissues to treat a variety of diseases _ such as new insulin-producing cells for diabetics, cells that could help those with Parkinson's disease or maybe even Alzheimer's, or new nerve connections to restore movement after spinal injury.

Obama called his decision a "difficult and delicate balance," an understatement of the intense emotions generated on both sides of the long, contentious debate. He said he came down on the side of the "majority of Americans" who support increased federal funding for the research, both because strict oversight would prevent problems and because of the great and lifesaving potential it holds.

"Rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said. "In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering. I believe we have been given the capacity and will to pursue this research and the humanity and conscience to do so responsibly."

Obama warned against overstating the eventual benefits of the research. But he said his administration "will vigorously support scientists who pursue this research," taking a slap at his predecessor in the process.

"I cannot guarantee that we will find the treatments and cures we seek. No president can promise that. But I can promise that we will seek them actively, responsibly, and with the urgency required to make up for lost ground."

It's a matter of competitive advantage globally as well, the president argued.

"When government fails to make these investments, opportunities are missed. Promising avenues go unexplored. Some of our best scientists leave for other countries that will sponsor their work. And those countries may surge ahead of ours in the advances that transform our lives," Obama said.

Rep. Eric Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, said the White House should focus on the economy instead.

"Frankly, federal funding of embryonic stem cell research can bring on embryo harvesting, perhaps even human cloning that occurs," he said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union." "We don't want that. ... And certainly that is something that we ought to be talking about, but let's take care of business first. People are out of jobs."

The president was insistent that his order would not open the door to human cloning.

"We will develop strict guidelines, which we will rigorously enforce, because we cannot ever tolerate misuse or abuse," Obama said. "And we will ensure that our government never opens the door to the use of cloning for human reproduction. It is dangerous, profoundly wrong, and has no place in our society, or any society."

Obama also issued a memo promising to restore "scientific integrity to government decision-making." That policy change was aimed more broadly than the stem cell debate, to reach into areas such as climate change as well.

"Promoting science isn't just about providing resources it is also about protecting free and open inquiry," Obama said. "It is about letting scientists like those here today do their jobs, free from manipulation or coercion, and listening to what they tell us, even when it's inconvenient especially when it's inconvenient. It is about ensuring that scientific data is never distorted or concealed to serve a political agenda and that we make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology.

Obama said the presidential memorandum was the beginning of a process that would ensure that his administration: bases its decision "on the soundest science," appoints scientific advisers based on their credentials and experience, not their politics or ideology, and is "open and honest" about the science behind its decisions.

I have to disagree with the statement that some of our best scientists leave for other countries. The truth is we don't have the best scientists, other countries do and they come here to work.

I do applaud him for granting federal funds to stell cell research, though :thumbsup2

Good... Now maybe he can start with his own administration!
Unpolitical Science:

The LA Times reports on an interview with Energy Secretary Steven Chu, a Nobel-winning physicist, about the threat climate change poses to California.

Reporting from Washington -- California's farms and vineyards could vanish by the end of the century, and its major cities could be in jeopardy, if Americans do not act to slow the advance of global warming, Secretary of Energy Steven Chu said Tuesday. . . .

"I don't think the American public has gripped in its gut what could happen," he said. "We're looking at a scenario where there's no more agriculture in California." And, he added, "I don't actually see how they can keep their cities going" either.

These are fairly apocalyptic predictions. The problem, as Roger Pielke Jr. notes at Prometheus, is that Chu's claims are not supported by available climate science. There are plenty of studies identifying potential negative impacts in California from climate change, such as this one linked by Sean Hecht at Environmental & Law, yet I am not aware of any that could support the claim that climate change threatens to end all agriculture in California.

For years we've heard complaints about how the Bush Administration waged a "war on science" by, among other things, distorting or misrepresenting scientific findings in order to support its policy positions. If the LA Times accurately reported on Chu's remarks, it seems like Obama Administration officials are already doing the same thing (and even before John Holdren is confirmed).
So apparently "misusing" or "misreading" science is OK as long as it supports the "right" political position.

"Promoting science isn't just about providing resources it is also about protecting free and open inquiry," Obama said. "It is about letting scientists like those here today do their jobs, free from manipulation or coercion, and listening to what they tell us, even when it's inconvenient especially when it's inconvenient. It is about ensuring that scientific data is never distorted or concealed to serve a political agenda and that we make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology".

I must admit, I found the bolded a little bit funny, given that he also said today that "we will ensure that our government never opens the door to the use of cloning for human reproduction. It is dangerous, profoundly wrong, and has no place in our society, or any society."

I imagine that there are some people who could think of uses for clones . . . if nothing else, people could have themselves cloned as a source of organs for transplant. I'm not saying such a thing is realistic at this time, or that it's a good idea, but with research it could someday be possible. The decision not to allow research into this cloning seems to be based on ideology. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - we have to draw the line somewhere. Obviously Bush felt the line regarding stem cell research should have been drawn somewhere other than the place that Obama feels is appropriate. Perhaps in the future, someone will feel that cloning is appropriate after all.

If I recall correctly, before Bush there was no federal funding for stem cell research. Even though he didn't go as far as many would have wished, he did open the door for funding of some stem cell research. I hope that the changes in policy that Obama has chosen to make pay off the way many believe that they will.

"Promoting science isn't just about providing resources it is also about protecting free and open inquiry," Obama said. "It is about letting scientists like those here today do their jobs, free from manipulation or coercion, and listening to what they tell us, even when it's inconvenient especially when it's inconvenient. It is about ensuring that scientific data is never distorted or concealed to serve a political agenda and that we make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology".

I must admit, I found the bolded a little bit funny, given that he also said today that "we will ensure that our government never opens the door to the use of cloning for human reproduction. It is dangerous, profoundly wrong, and has no place in our society, or any society."

I imagine that there are some people who could think of uses for clones . . . if nothing else, people could have themselves cloned as a source of organs for transplant. I'm not saying such a thing is realistic at this time, or that it's a good idea, but with research it could someday be possible. The decision not to allow research into this cloning seems to be based on ideology.
You bring up a point a writer at The National Review also noted in response to a Washington Post story on the order signed today:
Re: “Obama Aims to Shield Science from Politics” [Jason Steorts]

Most striking to me about the Washington Post’s story are these two sentences.

1) “The decision by President George W. Bush to restrict funding for stem cell research has been seen by critics as part of a pattern of allowing political ideology to influence scientific decisions across an array of issues . . .”

2) “[T]he research is highly controversial because the cells are obtained by destroying embryos, which some consider to be immoral.”

Well, if one considers the destruction of embryos immoral, then one’s opposition to it is not “political ideology” any more than it is political ideology to argue that the state should protect the lives of its citizens, their freedom of speech, or what have you. There is no sharp division between the political and the moral; the state’s protection of rights is, to my mind, both. But to dismiss a position as “political ideology” is to speak as though there simply were no moral dispute.

The sentences seem to be an accurate presentation of how the opposing sides view this issue — and of how one of the sides fails even to understand the position of the other.
And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - we have to draw the line somewhere. Obviously Bush felt the line regarding stem cell research should have been drawn somewhere other than the place that Obama feels is appropriate. Perhaps in the future, someone will feel that cloning is appropriate after all.

If I recall correctly, before Bush there was no federal funding for stem cell research. Even though he didn't go as far as many would have wished, he did open the door for funding of some stem cell research. I hope that the changes in policy that Obama has chosen to make pay off the way many believe that they will.
You are correct. Lost in all of the heat and bad-mouthing of the Bush position was the fact that it was indeed a compromise move. It opened the door for federal funding of limited embryonic research.

I viewed the Bush compromise as appeasement of the religious sector. He needed to keep his religious followers happy, so he put limits on the research. IMHO, it was placing the views of a portion of religious folks over that of the entire country.

Pres.Obama's position on cloning, while admittedly still an ideological one-is representative of a larger portion of Americans than Fmr President Bush's position on stem cell research.

Now if Obama can build a space ship like the Enterprise on Star Trek I'd be all over that like stink to, well, you get the idea. Star Trek all the way man. :thumbsup2

*Wooosh* *woosh* (cue the Star Trek theme music) *woosh* *woosh*
17.gif

I viewed the Bush compromise as appeasement of the religious sector. He needed to keep his religious followers happy, so he put limits on the research. IMHO, it was placing the views of a portion of religious folks over that of the entire country.
If he wanted to "appease" the religious sector, then he would have banned it outright. There were many people that were not fully happy that he agreed to allow any federal funding. Instead he compromised (which is supposed to be a good thing with the non-partisan world), with the option of expanding it if the research looked promising.

Pres.Obama's position on cloning, while admittedly still an ideological one-is representative of a larger portion of Americans than Fmr President Bush's position on stem cell research.
Fair enough, given that once something belongs a political football none of the science really matters anymore... just don't try and wrap up Obama's decision as being non-political and driven purely by "science".

embryonic stem cell research. I kinda doubt your last statement, once people realize they'll be injected into everything from white mice to chimpanzees, but we'll see.

I heard Obama made the sun come up this morning! Thanks Mr. President!

:lmao: :rotfl2:

Kinda reminds you of the Al Gore Internet thing huh. Wonder what else The One will get credit for today.

How about the market crashing? Oh wait, I forgot, Bushs fault.

Well then maybe he can stop this bitter wind we have here in California today.

:lmao: :rotfl2:

Kinda reminds you of the Al Gore Internet thing huh. Wonder what else The One will get credit for today.

How about the market crashing? Oh wait, I forgot, Bushs fault.

Well then maybe he can stop this bitter wind we have here in California today.

:thumbsup2

I personally wish he would focus on the current CRISIS we are having with the economy instead of going off in 100 different directions.

My only problem with this is the research that has led to so many treatments using adult stem cells being abandoned in hopes that embryonic stem cells will produce more results. We have learned things about adult cells that we could have never imagined, and we have learned that embryonic cells can be dangerous in some instances because they are difficult to "program". I just hope we don't stop pursuing treatments that have been shown to work to pursue treatments that theoretically should work, even though nothing remarkable has happened there yet.

:thumbsup2

I personally wish he would focus on the current CRISIS we are having with the economy instead of going off in 100 different directions.

I know you aren't used to it, but now we have a president who can walk and chew gum at the same time. It's called multitasking.

So its OK to base decisions on ideology as long as it's ideology HE agrees with?
Sounds like double talk to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter