• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Obama Declares War on Investors, Entrepreneurs, Businesses, And More

And in the meantime those of us not wealthy enough to have any capital gains will do what? Starve. Lose our homes after we lose our jobs. Continue to let the big money guys rob us all blind up there on Wall Street? And what if the market doesn't find its own way? Another deep depression?

Seriously, I'm trying to hold back my disrespectin'

We don't want the market to find its own way... we want the economy to find its way.

Bush did all those things and it did prop up the market. But the underlying economy was weak... and the bubble eventually burst.

Item by Item:

Cut corporate taxes in half - Exxon already pays an effective rate of under 20%. Large companies are not were jobs are created... small businesses are.

Cut individual taxes - Has happened 3 times in the last 10 years.

Slash capital gains taxes to zero - A horrible idea. You realize you pay capital gains when you pull your money out of the market? If it went to 0 everyone would pull their money out of the market. A better idea would be to raise short term Capital Gains and lower long term gains

You hereby receive my 'smart guy (or gal as the case may be) answer of the day' award. I know, you're overwhelmed. ;) But seriously, thanks for posting that. It makes perfect sense. :flower3:

TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

Advanced Aluminum Deflector Beanie

:worship: :worship: I love it. I swiped it.

That trickle-down idea worked out stupendously well, didn't it? :thumbsup2 Give the 1% at the top tax cuts, tax breaks and protection from capital gains and they, in their gratitude, will magically start creating thousands of jobs.

In India.

And yet, the Dems support Obama's 'trickle down' taxation plans that would affect electric, gasoline, heating, etc. Does anyone really think the 'big' energy companies are going to pay the extra taxes that Obama plans to levy on them or will they just pass them down to the consumer?

And yet, the Dems support Obama's 'trickle down' taxation plans that would affect electric, gasoline, heating, etc. Does anyone really think the 'big' energy companies are going to pay the extra taxes that Obama plans to levy on them or will they just pass them down to the consumer?

Is this where "the unintended" inflation comes in?

So we are to do what? What's YOUR solution, Dawn? Let the market find its own way? Yea, that worked great, didn't it?

It did in 1903 and 1907.

Also note Obama stays away from the period in the ,80s which was bad. Could it be because Reagan turned it around with.....tax cuts?

What about the rich democrats? Or, do you think they don't exist?

Nevermind. I have read your posts. I know how you feel about all business owners.

You mean the one's in the cabinet who just got around to paying their taxes. I think one of them is thinking of quiting because it's costing him too much.

It did in 1903 and 1907.

Just an FYI:

The Panic of 1907 did not resolve itself.
JP Morgan working together with the Secretary of the Treasury organized some bank executives and the U.S. Treasury to transfer money to troubled banks and buy stocks.

To restore confidence, the banker chief J. P. Morgan, working together with the Secretary of the Treasury, organized some bank executives and the U.S. Treasury to transfer money to troubled banks and buy stocks. That soon ended the panic. Banking chiefs, led by J. P. Morgan, later met at the Jekyll Island Club off the Georgia coast to concoct the central-banking scheme that became the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

Link to article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2152266/posts

Hmm. Certainly an intelligent and well-thought-out commentary that adds to the discussion. Thanks.
Really? I would think that an intelligent person would first realize that an incoming President's traditional speech to Congress a month after being sworn in is NOT a State of the Union Address.

This opinion piece reads like a poorly written hack job.

Really? I would think that an intelligent person would first realize that an incoming President's traditional speech to Congress a month after being sworn in is NOT a State of the Union Address.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2009/02/23/12-fun-facts-on-the-state-of-the-union-address-for-the-obama-speech-to-congress.html
So is this a State of the Union address or not? From a 2006 Congressional Research Service report:
...the past four Presidents (Ronald Reagan in 1981, George H. W. Bush in 1989, William Clinton in 1993, and George W. Bush in 2001) have chosen not to give an official State of the Union Message the year they were first inaugurated, having just previously delivered a keynote inaugural address. In each instance their first speech to a joint session of Congress closely followed their inauguration, but was not officially categorized as a "State of the Union Message." One observer noted in 1993 that by not calling such an address "State of the Union," the president could present a more focused message, while still deriving "the benefits of a joint session; nothing competes with the pomp and circumstances of the evening....

This site is informative. I only posted a couple of excerpts...
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou.php

A seemingly well-established misconception found even in some academic literature, is that the State of the Union is an orally delivered message presented to a joint session of Congress. With only a few exceptions, this has been true in the modern era (ca. 1933-present, see Neustadt or Greenstein), but beginning with Jefferson's 1st State of the Union (1801) and lasting until Taft's final message (1912), the State of the Union was a written (and often lengthy) report sent to Congress.
Franklin D. Roosevelt established the modern tradition of delivering an oral State of the Union beginning with his first in 1934. Exceptions include Truman's 1st (1946) and last (1953), Eisenhower's last (1961), Carter's last (1981), and Nixon's 4th (1973). In addition, Roosevelt's last (1945) and Eisenhower's 4th (1956) were technically written messages although they addressed the American people via radio summarizing their reports. Any research design should recognize these facts.

We don't want the market to find its own way... we want the economy to find its way.

Bush did all those things and it did prop up the market. But the underlying economy was weak... and the bubble eventually burst.

Item by Item:

Cut corporate taxes in half - Exxon already pays an effective rate of under 20%. Large companies are not were jobs are created... small businesses are.

Cut individual taxes - Has happened 3 times in the last 10 years.

Slash capital gains taxes to zero - A horrible idea. You realize you pay capital gains when you pull your money out of the market? If it went to 0 everyone would pull their money out of the market. A better idea would be to raise short term Capital Gains and lower long term gains

Bush never cut the corporate tax rate in half or eliminated capital gains tax. So don't pretend that this has already been done and failed.

Any way you slice it, the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. Period. That does nothing but hinder economic growth. And as much as small business plays a large part in driving our economy, you can't just ignore large corporations. We've seen first hand what happens when big business decides to pack up shop and leave.

Eliminating capital gains taxes will cause an immediate boost to all financial markets. The current structure discourages the sale of appreciating assests and distorts investor behavior. Eliminating the tax will only encourage investment, and its positive effects on the economy would be immediate.

DH sells tools and equipment all over the US and Canada...he is an independent contractor and also sells mostly to the military. He has decided that anything over $250,000 is no longer worth his time due to the increase he will have to pay. There for he will reach a limit and stop. We payed just shy of $70,000 in Tax's this year. Under Obama we are looking at a lot more.

His suppliers have already informed him that when Obamas tax hikes take effect there prices will be going up in order to make up for the difference so they can keep on there employees...and to make up for the hikes in prices from the companies they buy from....and so on and so on and so on...

His military accounts...and he has many many have told him that there budget has been cut from Obama so they will not have the budget that they usually have to order.

They are upset about that because they don't get enough money as it is to fix the cars and trucks and tanks and jeeps and all that stuff....they are very worried about not having enough in the military budget for the supplies to fix these things and the troops will be the ones to suffer when they move to Afghanistan and while still in Iraq...

The military men and woman he talks to are not fans of what Obama is doing with the military cutbacks.

so what we buy ...all of us in the stores will have an added increase and it will be passed on to us, the consumer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter