Oahu Luaus: Ka Wa'A, Paradise Cove, Fia Fia, PCC, Chief's, etc

PirateFrank

Avast!
I've been looking for Luau suggestions during the Aulani leg of our trip to the islands this coming August. We're traveling with another family for the Aulani stay and initially, I was interested in sticking with the Aulani offering Ka Wa'A. However, after discussion with the other family -- the choice doesn't appear to be as easy as I initially thought and the other family wants to explore other options, such as Paradise Cove. We've seen some pretty bad reviews of all of the luaus (not just Ka Wa'A or PC). We've also seen some really good ones...and because the reviews are all over the map, it's really hard to both trust the reviews and identify the best choices among them.

As a result, I was hoping to start a new thread with reviews and comments by people who have recently experienced one or more of the above mentioned luaus. Perhaps folks here can pool together your recent experiences, so us Aulani newbies can make some more informed decisions.

I'll include additional/specific questions as related to our trip in a reply to this thread.

Additional questions:

Aulani’s KaWa’A appears to be positioned as the most expensive of the luau offerings. Can anyone comment on specific aspects of this luau that make the jump in cost worth it?

The luaus all have different seating options, with the differences being the table view, buffet priority/table service and whether drinks are included. Does anyone know the cost of additional drinks at KaWa’A, Paradise Cove, Chiefs, etc?

I’ve seen some reviews that suggest Ka Wa’A is smaller (less seats per show) and more intimate when compared to Paradise Cove and conversely, Paradise Cove can feel extremely crowded and rushed. Is there any truth to this?

Chief’s seems very highly rated, but it’s on the other side of the island. Has anyone done the drive from Aulani? Is it worth it?

First off, you do NOT need to do a luau. Trust me. I lived on Oahu. You can have a wonderful time and not do one.

To me it's a time suck. Takes a long time. But, it can be a lot of fun!

We lived in Kailua (an hour from Ko Olina), and had friends who couldn't use their Paradise Cove tickets, so they gave them to us. It was a long night. Even though we were young (late 20's), it was a long night and we were tired! Flash forward several years, and I went with my mom and friend, staying at the Marriott next door, and we were still tired by the end!

If you do want to do one, the chief does one at the Marriott, or you can do Paradise Cove (Entertainment Book gives 25% off).

It's all about the same to me - okay food (no, not good, just okay, don't go for the food), and entertainment. Paradise Cove has lots of stuff all evening. I'd look into it.

It's just a lot of time, and we get so tuckered out at night!

Would also be curious to know if anyone has done House Without a Key as an alternative to a luau and, if so, I am wondering if you feel like this would be a good substitute for an early 30's couple? We may not be interested in the food at a luau and we are really just looking for Hawaiian entertainment.

We really enjoyed the large scale PCC show with a good story, but skip on the buffet as the food was not good. At least with PCC you get comfortable seats rather than sitting on mats for a long time.

First off, you do NOT need to do a luau. Trust me. I lived on Oahu. You can have a wonderful time and not do one.

Oh, I truly wish we didn't! Sadly, the remainder of the group is pretty heart-set on doing a luau -- so we have to pick something.

I'm truly convinced I'm going to walk out of any luau we pick feeling like I was underwhelmed and ripped off (The prices for these things are nuts!). Anything where I've seen such a wide and varied spread of good and bad reviews has never panned out to be worthwhile. At this stage, I consider myself a travel pro -- I can usually steer family and friends in the right direction in someplace new by doing enough internet/travel research. The problem is that I've never seen more of a mess of inconsistent information on the internet, than with Hawaii luaus. Thats actually why I keep knee-jerking back to the Disney Ka Wa'A show - in the thinking that there has to be some comfort in knowing Disney is behind the show. However, some of the worst, most disparaging reviews I've read have been about Disney's Luau....so it's throwing me for a loop.

Regardless, thanks for everyone's comments so far! Keep em coming!!

I am interested in the Aulani luau as well. We are headed to Aulani in August for the 3rd time (1st in 2012, 2nd in 2014). In 2012 we did the paradise cove luau, in 2014 we did the starlit hui at Aulani. The starlit hui was everything that was great about luau's, without the terrible food and watered down drinks, and it was free, which was the best part.

The paradise cove luau was a pretty standard luau catered to large tour groups (and I've been to a variety of Luau's, mostly on Maui from the 1980's on). I have always liked smaller/more intimate venues, and for me, this is why I'm more interested in the Aulani one. All that being said... Paradise Cove is fine, and if cost is bugging you, go where you can get the best deal and is going to make most of the people happy. If they've never been to a luau, the entertainment will be good. The dancers at Paradise Cove were good, and the crafts ahead of time were amusing for the younger crowd. The food was forgettable (as is most Luau food, I can't say I've ever had memorable luau food), as were the drinks, but I am not a big drinker. I remember it as a pleasant evening, but it definitely felt like a tourist trap with the kitchy pictures with a parrot you could buy, as well as the "hawaiian" souvenirs that were marked up for other places I had seen them. I was really hoping that the Aulani luau was going to be somehow better, but probably not. I would skip it, except that I have 2 young girls (11 and 7) who don't remember going to the Luau in 2012, and so we are going to do it for them.

For those looking for entertainment without food or other luau rigamarole- I had good luck asking around (concierges/other guests/store owners) to find hula shows (often in outdoor malls) that are free and put on by local hula schools, check out community online bulletin boards too. Some of the best dancing I ever saw was of a group of young girls (5-18) from a hula school that danced on Thursday nights at the outdoor mall in Wailea (on Maui). It had pretty much everything except the fire dancing!

Oh, I truly wish we didn't! Sadly, the remainder of the group is pretty heart-set on doing a luau -- so we have to pick something.

I'm truly convinced I'm going to walk out of any luau we pick feeling like I was underwhelmed and ripped off (The prices for these things are nuts!). Anything where I've seen such a wide and varied spread of good and bad reviews has never panned out to be worthwhile. At this stage, I consider myself a travel pro -- I can usually steer family and friends in the right direction in someplace new by doing enough internet/travel research. The problem is that I've never seen more of a mess of inconsistent information on the internet, than with Hawaii luaus. Thats actually why I keep knee-jerking back to the Disney Ka Wa'A show - in the thinking that there has to be some comfort in knowing Disney is behind the show. However, some of the worst, most disparaging reviews I've read have been about Disney's Luau....so it's throwing me for a loop.

Regardless, thanks for everyone's comments so far! Keep em coming!!

I am generally in the same camp as happy mommy above. I went to one luau on our honeymoon in 1993 and then another a few years later. Being on the west coast we have gone to Hawaii every two to three years. In all that time I really have had no desire to go to a luau again - mediocre food, cheesy entertainment, bad drinks, huge crowds and lines. Fast forward to our trip this year the first week of April. My kids are 14 and 12 and have never been to a luau (due to my indifference) - DH really wants to take them to the Aulani luau. My parents were on the trip with us and they had even more of an aversion to luaus than I did, but agreed to go along with us so that we would have a fun evening to start off our vacation. I tried to talk my husband out of it up to the cancellation window.

End result - all of us loved Aulani's luau, including my parents who raved about the entertainment, the setting and the food. The buffet was good (even better than Makahiki or the Thanksgiving buffet we had two years prior), drinks i(ncluding the complimentary welcome drink) were good and the storytelling and entertainment was top notch. I think the best way to explain it is that Disney created a story and theme - it wasn't just a parade of dancers and musicians coming up on stage. It was more like attending theater and we felt all of the performers were really top notch. In my mind another good comparison is if you have been on cruises before - most cruises have an evening production type show which are ok, but Disney's shows are in a whole different league.

We did the VIP package and it was great, but I really don't think it is necessary to have a great experience. The venue just isn't that big and I did not notice that lines were really too long at any point.

Happy to answer any other specific questions.

Is the one at Aulani still only available to resort guests? I know Fia Fia anyone can go to. Just thinking in case my daughter wants to go (she's never been to one, and with her mobility issues, this is closer to the Marriott than Paradise Cove, and I don't want to bring her wheelchair this trip but may decide to do so).

I am interested in the Aulani luau as well. We are headed to Aulani in August for the 3rd time (1st in 2012, 2nd in 2014).....

When are you going? We'll be there August 15-22!

We did the VIP package and it was great, but I really don't think it is necessary to have a great experience. The venue just isn't that big and I did not notice that lines were really too long at any point.

Happy to answer any other specific questions.

I actually have a few for you, if you don't mind! I had been getting the impression that the Paradise Cove luau is huge - lots of tour buses, almost twice the amount of people than the Aulani Luau (which you indicated as a more intimate affair) Assuming you are familiar with Paradise Cove, would you say this is accurate?

Also, Would you do the VIP package again? Would love to hear more on your experiences of the VIP package!

Jumping in on this - we attended the Paradise Cove luau in February and then watched the Aulani luau from our balcony the next evening. I was actually very impressed by the Aulani luau. It looked well done. The music during dinner was very nice - we just opened our balcony door and listened while we prepped our own food. I thought the story they told and the dancers did a great job. We couldn't see everything and didn't eat any of the food, but it looked nice. I liked that the seating was on the grass vs sand. It wasn't a huge/crowded event, at least that evening, and they put dancers in three spots (stage, middle of the aisle, and back near the buffet). It looked like a Disney production. I would definitely consider actually going the next time we are there.

The Paradise Cove Luau was fun. We were with a group of friends, so that was part of the enjoyment. I thought the dancers were great. I didn't care for the food, but that seems to be a common theme among luaus. Yes, it was huge, lots of tour buses, tons of tables. It was very sandy, which really isn't a big deal, but combining the plastic chairs, sand, tons of people, vendors selling things around the property, definitely made it feel a little less luxurious than from what we could tell of the Aulani luau. I think the price tag is also lower, depending on the package.

My bottom line is I thought the PC luau was good. Beautiful setting, nice activities before, excellent dancing. I thought the Aulani luau looked really nice - for me, I think I would have enjoyed the smaller group, grass underfoot, nicer tables & chairs, and entertainment more. So, if I have the luxury of returning, I would highly consider the Aulani one, certainly over the PC one. Also, with young children, the convenience of being right there is awesome, though really PC is a short walk (obviously the others are a drive).

I actually have a few for you, if you don't mind! I had been getting the impression that the Paradise Cove luau is huge - lots of tour buses, almost twice the amount of people than the Aulani Luau (which you indicated as a more intimate affair) Assuming you are familiar with Paradise Cove, would you say this is accurate?

Also, Would you do the VIP package again? Would love to hear more on your experiences of the VIP package!

I have not been to Paradise Cove so I am basing my opinions on the two hotel luaus that I attended years ago and by the amount of tour buses and the crowds seen lining up. Elima2015 has a good description. I agree with Elima2015's description of the intimate feeling of the luau - it really did not feel like a huge cattle call. The only things being sold that I observed were drinks for those not on the VIP package and copies of the photo that was taken.

Regarding VIP, if I were to do it over again as a first timer, yes I would get VIP package. However, if it isn't in the budget or if it were my second time attending, I would not feel the need to. With VIP we were able to get in early so there was absolutely no line to get in, have our picture taken, and get a beverage. It also gave us a first crack at the crafts/activities before the line started forming. All beverages were included which was nice as it eliminated a step (waiting in line to buy drink tokens) and we were among the first to go up to the buffet line. Our table was in the very front row so we had an incredible view of the performers, but there were actually a few times that I turned around to watch performers/activity that were on the two stages in the aisles. Getting to go up first for food was great because the kids were starving, but we returned for seconds (and my son for thirds, fourths, fifths) and there really never was a big line to get food.

In my opinion you can have an amazing experience without the VIP but if it is in the budget, that takes it a step up.

Is the one at Aulani still only available to resort guests? I know Fia Fia anyone can go to. Just thinking in case my daughter wants to go (she's never been to one, and with her mobility issues, this is closer to the Marriott than Paradise Cove, and I don't want to bring her wheelchair this trip but may decide to do so).

I am not sure if it is for guests only. -- Just checked the website and it looks like it is for guests only. It certainly would be more convenient for your daughter. Grass is probably easier to move around on than sand for her.

Would also be curious to know if anyone has done House Without a Key as an alternative to a luau and, if so, I am wondering if you feel like this would be a good substitute for an early 30's couple? We may not be interested in the food at a luau and we are really just looking for Hawaiian entertainment.

There are many free shows in if you are in Waikiki. House Without a Key is an amazing setting and very classy, but is more music than dancing, but they do have traditional luau. You will have to buy a drink.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key

There is a free luau by Dukes statue most nights, it is more club dancer than professionals but it gets a good crowd.
http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/waikiki-calendar-of-events/kuhio-beach-hula-show

The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center will have free shows http://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/info/entertainment

or if you are there Monday nights, a lot of people hang out in the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian and watch the Royal Hawaiian Show for free.

BTW if money is no object, the Monday night Luau at the Royal Hawaiian is the best. Perfect for the big anniversary

There are many free shows in if you are in Waikiki. House Without a Key is an amazing setting and very classy, but is more music than dancing, but they do have traditional luau. You will have to buy a drink.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key

There is a free luau by Dukes statue most nights, it is more club dancer than professionals but it gets a good crowd.
http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/waikiki-calendar-of-events/kuhio-beach-hula-show

The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center will have free shows http://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/info/entertainment

or if you are there Monday nights, a lot of people hang out in the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian and watch the Royal Hawaiian Show for free.

BTW if money is no object, the Monday night Luau at the Royal Hawaiian is the best. Perfect for the big anniversary

Thank you so much! Very helpful info

You can look in the photo gallery on the Paradise Cove website and see an aerial view of the theater to see exactly how many seats there are. It doesn't look like it will hold multiple bus loads of people, but it's bigger than Aulani's for sure.

You can look in the photo gallery on the Paradise Cove website and see an aerial view of the theater to see exactly how many seats there are. It doesn't look like it will hold multiple bus loads of people, but it's bigger than Aulani's for sure.

That photo only shows a portion of the seating available. When we were there tables extended perpendicular from the stage all the way back to the covered box seating. Then tables extended diagonally down both sides. I don't know exactly how many people were there, but it had to be in the 400-600 range. There were multiple tour buses in the parking lot. Looking at those pics reminded me of how beautiful Hawaii is. Makes me want to go back!

My take on Paradise cove. It gets a lot of people, which includes a lot of Japanese Tour busses. I would say over 600, its bit of a cattle call and its far from luxury dining. But I think it has one of the better shows. Everyone gets all wild about Old Lahina Luau in Maui, but I think Paradise Cove has a much better show

That photo only shows a portion of the seating available. When we were there tables extended perpendicular from the stage all the way back to the covered box seating. Then tables extended diagonally down both sides. I don't know exactly how many people were there, but it had to be in the 400-600 range. There were multiple tour buses in the parking lot. Looking at those pics reminded me of how beautiful Hawaii is. Makes me want to go back!
I'll definitely come back to this thread and report my experience, because I agree, reviews are all over the map. I always prefer to read reviews from DISers because I feel like we have a common reference point.

My take on Paradise cove. It gets a lot of people, which includes a lot of Japanese Tour busses. I would say over 600, its bit of a cattle call and its far from luxury dining. But I think it has one of the better shows. Everyone gets all wild about Old Lahina Luau in Maui, but I think Paradise Cove has a much better show
That's good to hear, because those were my two choices and I picked PC! I'm all about the show; I really do t expect buffet food anywhere to be fine dining quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter