• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYTimes Magazine longform - reaching my autistic son through Disney

Thanks got sharing.
This is totally fascinating and when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Kind of the ultimate in social stories.

I will be interested in resting the book when it comes out.

Powerful share. Thank you so much. Loved watching the video.

Thanks got sharing.
This is totally fascinating and when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Kind of the ultimate in social stories.

I will be interested in resting the book when it comes out.

Agree! :)

Merged 2 threads together on the same subject.

Interesting article. They mention Riverview School on Cape Cod - that is the school DD attended. I can't say enough about how wonderful the school and especially the staff are.

A friend sent me this link. It made me cry and gave me goosebumps.
I hope it's OK to post here. I know a lot of people will be able to relate to it. That family picture you see in my signature, that was the moment my son came ALOVE at Disney. He had never worn a hat before. EVER! He wouldn't wear that ear hat actually at all. UNTIL then. He grabbed it and put it on fast as lightening once he saw the Big Cheese in person!
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Animated-Sidekicks-Heroes-Autism/dp/1423180364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394572102&sr=1-1&keywords=life+animated

I pre-ordered the book on Amazon. The segment isn't nearly long enough, but it was wonderful!

Thank you both for sharing this, it is a wonderful article. Has real resonance with me as DS is very similar and has learnt much of his speech, understanding of people and relationships, to read and write, from repeatedly watching Thomas The Tank Engine, Disney films and other children's tv. Worried for years about his obsessions but now we are really seeing the fruits of all his hard learning!
:goodvibes

A friend sent me this link. It made me cry and gave me goosebumps.
I hope it's OK to post here. I know a lot of people will be able to relate to it. That family picture you see in my signature, that was the moment my son came ALOVE at Disney. He had never worn a hat before. EVER! He wouldn't wear that ear hat actually at all. UNTIL then. He grabbed it and put it on fast as lightening once he saw the Big Cheese in person!
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Animated-Sidekicks-Heroes-Autism/dp/1423180364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394572102&sr=1-1&keywords=life+animated

I pre-ordered the book on Amazon. The segment isn't nearly long enough, but it was wonderful!
I added your post to an existing thread about the New York Times article about the same subject.
The article mentioned the book that was coming out - nice to see a link to the actual book.

Looks very interesting.

I heard some stories about people with Autism at Disney World, too, and the amount of problems they have been experiencing since Disney World revamped their disability system. I'll take a read through.

I heard some stories about people with Autism at Disney World, too, and the amount of problems they have been experiencing since Disney World revamped their disability system. I'll take a read through.

These plenty of positive stories as well. You should look around.

This story has nothing to do with DAS and actually Disney parks play a very small part in it.
It is actually much more about a child who used the words of Disney characters to develop his own inner voice.
These plenty of positive stories as well. You should look around.
Agree.
Quite a few people on this board have reported misgivings before they went, but that DAS actually worked out well for them.

Many of the negative stories I have read have included:
- people who have not been to a Disney park, but decided it would not work without trying it
- some of with a lot of misinformation - including thinking guests have to pay for Fastpass or that guests using DAS can't also use a Fastpass
- people in the beginning who had issues, but did figure out how to work with the new system
- people who had unrealistic expectations - such as not having to wait at all or looping continually on high demand rides without waiting

There are some issues with getting return times if a person using DAS is alone or there is only one person with the DAS holder.
But from what I have read in various places, the new program is working fairly well for the majority of people.

WOW Sue! Thanks so much for the additional information.

I was struck by his remarks: "Owen wants what everyone wants. The question was never whether. Always how." Like I have stated, my DD attended the Riverview School. That is one of the greatest things Riverview offers - treating students like the teenagers they are. From soccer games to chorus to Prom, Riverview provides opportunites for students to experience typical activties. If you were to visit the campus it is like any other campus, with one huge difference - support and acceptance from staff and fellow students. Another thing that I discovered at Riverview is "can't" doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary. The staff find a way for every student to be successful and try whatever they want to do. I will never forget watching my severely visual/spatial impaired DD out playing baseball and on a team! I came to learn that one of the custodians had spent literally hours one on one with DD teaching her how to catch a ball. She played baseball with a brightly colored pink ball so she could see it. All because my DD wanted to play baseball! I could go on and on about how wonder Riverview School is.

THANKS for that update, Sue. I'm so glad they are learning more and more, but we're still so much in the dark ages of understanding, or it feels like we are. or not "we", the people that deal w/ it daily, but society in general are. It floors me that anyone would call them "souless"!!!!:furious: Then again, doctors used to say smoking was good for you. So CLEARLY, logic isn't exactly at the forefront for some. :faint::smokin:

I'm so very much looking forward to getting this book next month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter