• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYE Cruise - Christmas decorations still up?

Anyone know?
I've sailed 2 New Year's cruises in the past six years, one on the Magic and one on the Fantasy. Yes, the ships are still fully decorated for Christmas. The decorations come down when the New Year's cruise ends & the guests disembark. We left on the late side after our first New Year's cruise, and were treated to the sight & sound of them tearing down the life-sized gingerbread house as we exited the ship. On the upside, you get a holiday lithograph as a momento, no matter your stateroom type. And two sets of fireworks, instead of just one. It's a magical time to cruise.

We sailed two NYE cruises in 2016 and 2017. On the first one, like PP said, everything was still up and we saw the crew starting to bring everything down on the last evening, with a team onboard on disembarkation morning to finish the job.

On the second one however, everything was removed when we came onboard. You could not tell, outside of the paper cups, that we were following a Christmas cruise. I guess it has a lot to do with the exact date where turnaround happens and the availability of the shore team to remove the decorations.

We sailed two NYE cruises in 2016 and 2017. On the first one, like PP said, everything was still up and we saw the crew starting to bring everything down on the last evening, with a team onboard on disembarkation morning to finish the job.

On the second one however, everything was removed when we came onboard. You could not tell, outside of the paper cups, that we were following a Christmas cruise. I guess it has a lot to do with the exact date where turnaround happens and the availability of the shore team to remove the decorations.
Weird. First time I've heard of that happening as the other reports I've read were like mine. Our most recent New Years cruise was the last available one, '19-'20, and we had full decorations. Our first was '15-'16. I can't help but think that your second one must have been an anomoly. Did you get the lithograph?

Weird. First time I've heard of that happening as the other reports I've read were like mine. Our most recent New Years cruise was the last available one, '19-'20, and we had full decorations. Our first was '15-'16. I can't help but think that your second one must have been an anomoly. Did you get the lithograph?
Yes, they leave a lithograph on all NYE cruises, but it not the same as the one given on Merrytime cruises. That one is clearly Christmas themed while ours is more of a Let’s celebrate theme. We also got a special box of chocolates that is only offered on NYE cruises. It’s not the Platinum gift chocolate box.

I don’t think it’s an anomaly, but rather an indirect consequence of the ships’s schedule. The cruise with the decorations left a few days before NYE while the one without left on the 30th, and not from PC but from Galveston. That might involve an outside company instead of Disney cast members.

I don’t think it’s an anomaly, but rather an indirect consequence of the ships’s schedule. The cruise with the decorations left a few days before NYE while the one without left on the 30th, and not from PC but from Galveston. That might involve an outside company instead of Disney cast members.
Our first New Years cruise left on December 31st from Miami, and it was still fully decorated. I just think your experience is an anomaly because everyone else I've heard from has had the same experience as mine.

If other posters join in, saying that different New Years cruises were not decorated, then I would not consider it an anomaly, but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
I also did a NYE cruise. Was painful to watch the sledgehammer take down the gingerbread house as we left the ship. Right at the atrium.

I also did a NYE cruise. Was painful to watch the sledgehammer take down the gingerbread house as we left the ship. Right at the atrium.
Same here. I remember thinking, can't they wait one hour until the guests are supposed to be off the ship? Not exactly a magical way to end a cruise.

They should give that away as a prize. You get to take the first hit on the gingerbread house before you leave.
…(in my minds eye, I see insurance guys, bean counters and lawyers all shaking their heads and heavily underlining and crossing things out at the proposal meeting)
Oh and Goofy face palming.
(It’s 2am and I’m tired)
Maybe it should be suggested with another cruise line as a stress reliever adventure. I love your idea.

It would just be nice to know for sure so we don't get disappointed. Don't say don't get your hopes up - too late! HA! Knowing that it's common. BUT. We are sailing out of Galveston so I wonder if that makes a difference like someone else mentioned. hmm.

It would just be nice to know for sure so we don't get disappointed. Don't say don't get your hopes up - too late! HA! Knowing that it's common. BUT. We are sailing out of Galveston so I wonder if that makes a difference like someone else mentioned. hmm.
If I recall correctly, the first year that DCL did Christmas cruises out of Galveston, they did take the decorations down earlier than the cruises out of Port Canaveral. It was speculated at the time it was due to not having enough Disney decorators to staff both locations (and maybe Miami, also?), so Galveston's came down early, so that the decorators could get back to PC in time to get those down.

Since then, the decorations stay up through the cruise that sails over New Year's Eve. Regardless of port, IMO.

Same here. I remember thinking, can't they wait one hour until the guests are supposed to be off the ship? Not exactly a magical way to end a cruise.
Well, I think the start time was after guests were supposed to be off the ship, Disney just couldn't get everyone off the ship. Being a New Year's Eve cruise the ship was packed. so lots of folks to get off the ship. We were literally right next to the gingerbread house for 20 minutes while a couple of burly guys sledge hammered it. The line was not moving despite disembarkation starting at 730 am. But as I have posted before, I am not a fan of Disney's cattle call lack of disembarkation system. Other ships have you wait in the theaters and other public areas, and have pastries, coffee , juice and entertainment while you wait for you group to be called to leave the ship.

Well, I think the start time was after guests were supposed to be off the ship, Disney just couldn't get everyone off the ship.
On my cruise at least, it wasn't after all guests were supposed to be off. It was right after we'd finished our second seating MDR breakfast, and a lot of other guests were still eating. There was no line to disembark at that time.

Last edited:
We sailed on the 31st Dec on the Wonder 5 years ago. There was no sign of `Christmas whatsoever. Had been taken down that day. Looks like it depends on how schedule falls.

We sailed on the 31st Dec on the Wonder 5 years ago. There was no sign of `Christmas whatsoever. Had been taken down that day. Looks like it depends on how schedule falls.
Maybe something with the Galveston port? The other poster who reported this issue sailed from Galveston, too. It isn't the date, because my sailing also departed on the 31st and the decorations were up throughout our cruise.

Last edited:
Maybe something with the Galveston port? The other poster who reported this issue sailed from Galveston, too. It isn't the date, because my sailing also departed on the 31st and the decorations were up throughout our cruise.
If I recall correctly, the first year that DCL did Christmas cruises out of Galveston, they did take the decorations down earlier than the cruises out of Port Canaveral. It was speculated at the time it was due to not having enough Disney decorators to staff both locations (and maybe Miami, also?), so Galveston's came down early, so that the decorators could get back to PC in time to get those down.

Since then, the decorations stay up through the cruise that sails over New Year's Eve. Regardless of port, IMO.

No I’m afraid it sailed from PC. Was 5 years ago though.

So, hopefully the taking them down early thing was just something that used to happen long ago and not anymore. I know we will have a blast either way!

I think we can find time for a while to make some decorations of DIY worksheet like this one:
I guess it could look stylish for Christmas and New Year. Have you already got some unique ideas about decorating for Christmas holidays yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter