NYC Trip

Steven41782

DIS Veteran
Have any of you type A excel spreadsheet wizard Disney park planners planned a trip to NYC?

Would really like a copy of your plan!!

We are going this Summer.

Have any of you type A excel spreadsheet wizard Disney park planners planned a trip to NYC?

Would really like a copy of your plan!!

We are going this Summer.

I am going to follow this thread because my adult son and I are going to NYC in early May. I made reservations at the Marriott Marquis yesterday because I think the location is perfect. (I have stayed there once before prior to a cruise out of Manhattan).

Have fun planning your trip!

Make reservations at the comedy cellar. We loved it!

We stopped in the Meatball shop - soo good!

We did the tunnel to towers 5k when we were there so that took most of a day. Bummed around the financial district that day too. We visited the 9/11 memorial and museum. It’s all amazingly well done.

We did top of the rock instead of the Empire State Building.

We rode the subway to Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge at night

I wanted to go to the tenament museum but we didn’t make it

We walked the high line and went to chelsey market, visited some popular spots in Central Park, visited time square and some shops there, walked 5th Avenue

We were just there for 3 days so didn’t have a ton of time. It was a great trip tho with just me and the hubs

So much to do in NYC. Something for everyone, and my idea of a good time probably isn't the same as yours. Make a list (check it twice) of your top priorities and plan the best day/time for them, then fill in other activities based on how much time, energy, and $$$ you have.

I posted a thread similar to this within the last couple of months. I'm having a difficult time because I want my days plan to be "Take this form of transport to point A. Spend x amount of time there, have lunch here. Take this transport to point B. Make sure to see this."

That's not working very well for me.

Make reservations at the comedy cellar. We loved it!

We stopped in the Meatball shop - soo good!

We did the tunnel to towers 5k when we were there so that took most of a day. Bummed around the financial district that day too. We visited the 9/11 memorial and museum. It’s all amazingly well done.

We did top of the rock instead of the Empire State Building.

We rode the subway to Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge at night

I wanted to go to the tenament museum but we didn’t make it

We walked the high line and went to chelsey market, visited some popular spots in Central Park, visited time square and some shops there, walked 5th Avenue

We were just there for 3 days so didn’t have a ton of time. It was a great trip tho with just me and the hubs

Is comedy cellar teenage appropriate? We will be looking for a couple good comedy places that would appeal to my 13 year old.

I posted a thread similar to this within the last couple of months. I'm having a difficult time because I want my days plan to be "Take this form of transport to point A. Spend x amount of time there, have lunch here. Take this transport to point B. Make sure to see this."

That's not working very well for me.
For me that way of traveling doesn't work. We get up and just go, especially in NYC. You might find that difficult in NYC, takes the fun away. For me any how.

It helps to narrow down what your interests are and what kind of things you like to do and see. NYC is huge and part of its charm is how far-reaching it is, meaning creating a list to check off doesn't always work. If you have tunnel vision for just seeing the tourist spots, you may miss things that would ultimately become the best part of your trip. If you could post a few activities you enjoy, what your interests in food/entertainment/sports are, how active you prefer to be, etc., it would be easier to help!

I’ve lived in the city, and I’d be happy to help plan if you list out some must-sees, general interests, etc. I’m not a timetable person myself but I could probably figure out a general outline.

Thanks for everyone's willingness to help. We are traveling Sunday to Sunday...therefore, we will have full days in the City Monday through Saturday. There will be two 30 somethings a 9 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. We have been to the city, but never with children. We are staying in Chelsea, but between 5th and 6th avenue. Here are a list of things we have decided we want to do... Not sure if we can fit it all in.

Before I list, my main concern is how long the kids will last. I'm not sure what we can do for down time.

Statue of Liberty (crown tickets)
Ellis Island
Yankees game (play at 7:05 every weeknight)
Pizza and Cheesecake, but not sure where
Children's Art Museum
Disney on Broadway Tour
Ellen's Star Diner
Wicked on Broadway
Highline Park
One World Trade Center and Outdoor fountains (not the memorial museum, don't think kids are ready)
Central Park (probably want to spend most of a day here)
Coney Island Day (Nathan's, Luna Park, Aquarium)
World's Largest Candy Shop (Kids saw this on youtube, not sure what this is or if it's really the world's largest)
Charging Bull
Radio City Music Hall - if there is a show or something
Grand Central Station
Top of the Rock
Walk Brooklyn Bridge
Bike rental at Governor's Island
There is a aircraft carrier, but I can't remember the name of it.
A museum (we are not museum people, I thought the kids would want American Museum of Natural History, but said on YouTube it looks like just a bunch of diaromas... not sure which museum, suggestions?)
Dessert from: Donut Planet and City Cakes and Eggloo in Chinatown
Need some ideas of places to eat where there is a kids meal choice. I hate to say it, but my kids like kid food. They will eat meat and three.

Thanks for any help with a schedule or just suggestions.

You want to book statue tours from battery park for Ellis Island/statue of liberty, get a pedestal ticket at the very least, you can do one world trade also (get tickets to the observatory). That’s a full day for sure. Walk the high line, stop at Chelsea market, and somewhere along here is a Black Tap (with crazy milk shakes, my teens have been three times). You could do a whole day with Central Park/museum of natural history (HUGE - kids will love so many exhibits). The intrepid is what you are thinking of on the west side on the Hudson. Get wicked tickets ahead of time, combine with Ellen’s. Stay away from characters in Times Square. Manhattan is very safe, you will see a huge police presence, and locals may walk fast, but most are actually really friendly and helpful. Go to the Central Park zoo (Central Park is so impressive once you are in manhattan, such a huge park in the middle of an urban city).

The candy store is probably Dylan's Candy Bar, which is located on Lexington Ave. around 59th St. It's also near Bloomingdale's, which has a Magnolia Bakery, and not a far walk from Central Park, so might be a good thing to combo into that. There's also The Sugar Factory, which is near the High Line, but that is more of a restaurant and less of a candy store (though your kids could easily get a lifetimes portion of sugar at this place!).

I don't think you mentioned what time of year you will be in the city, but if it's summer, be ready to be flexible. It might rain, it might be really hot, and with a lot of these activities taking place outdoors, it's best to have a few backup plans. Like Disney, take breaks, especially if it's hot! Even if it's just going into a store to walk around in some cool air, it is good to get out of the hustle and bustle now and then.

The Yankee game will probably be a late night, so perhaps plan a lighter day so that you and the kids will still have the energy to enjoy it. Depending on where your hotel is, it should be easy to get to by subway but you wouldn't want to bring much inside with you.

If you go to,Coney Island do it during the week, it is a long subway ride out there and back. It will take up a good portion of your day.

A good place to eat is The Grey Dog. They have 3 locations in NYC. We ate at the one in Chelsea and we met a lot of the cast from Aladdin who were eating an early morning breakfast before they had to go to work for the Matinee on Sunday.

Down by the Financial District a road is shut down and all the restaurants put out tents, and tables and chairs and you can come and drink or eat on Friday nite and mingle with workers. My son said it has gotten so popular that they are leaving the road closed off all summer.

Are you absolutely set on everything on your list? Because that is a lot. There are things I’ve never even gotten around to doing on there, and I lived there! But, as it stands, I basically grouped everything by location/convenience, so here's my rough draft of an itinerary:

Downtown/Ellis Island
Ellis Island
One World Trade Center and Fountains
Charging Bull
Walk Brooklyn Bridge
Eggloo

Midtown
Disney on Broadway Tour (9:30 am, 2 hours)
Ellen's Star Diner
Grand Central Station
Top of the Rock
Radio City Music Hall (they also offer a tour)
Wicked on Broadway

Coney/Upper East Side
Dylan’s Candy Bar (Take the F train from Coney and get off at 63rd in Manhattan, easy walk to Dylan's)
Serendipity III (my suggestion for dinner- super cute restaurant and fun for kids, right on the same block as Dylan's)

Upper West Side/Bronx
Central Park
Museum of Natural History (truly wouldn't discount this one... it's one of my absolute fav. museums. Personally I love the dioramas, but there is so much more). The Children's Museum of Manhattan is also in this area.
Yankee’s Game- since you're uptown anyway, this might make the most sense to go to the game from here as Yankee Stadium is all the way up in the Bronx.

Chelsea
Children's Art Museum
Highline Park
Doughnut Plant/City Cakes

For museums- what about: https://www.cooperhewitt.org/

It is in the museum area, and is very interactive, so the kiddos might enjoy this!

It is a design museum, so if either of your kids are artsy, might find it to be fun!

There are occasionally tours of Central Park, some are free! Might want to check what is available while you are in town!

Also, not that you need extra stuff to do, if you are doing Grand Central Station, why not try to cruise through the public library, it is pretty close, and a beautiful building! (And free to take a quick peak inside)

Thanks for everyone's willingness to help. We are traveling Sunday to Sunday...therefore, we will have full days in the City Monday through Saturday. There will be two 30 somethings a 9 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. We have been to the city, but never with children. We are staying in Chelsea, but between 5th and 6th avenue. Here are a list of things we have decided we want to do... Not sure if we can fit it all in.

Before I list, my main concern is how long the kids will last. I'm not sure what we can do for down time.

Ellis Island
Yankees game (play at 7:05 every weeknight)
Pizza and Cheesecake, but not sure where
Children's Art Museum
Disney on Broadway Tour
Ellen's Star Diner
Wicked on Broadway
Highline Park
One World Trade Center and Outdoor fountains (not the memorial museum, don't think kids are ready)
Central Park (probably want to spend most of a day here)
World's Largest Candy Shop (Kids saw this on youtube, not sure what this is or if it's really the world's largest)
Charging Bull
Radio City Music Hall - if there is a show or something
Grand Central Station
Top of the Rock
Walk Brooklyn Bridge
There is a aircraft carrier, but I can't remember the name of it.
A museum (we are not museum people, I thought the kids would want American Museum of Natural History, but said on YouTube it looks like just a bunch of diaromas... not sure which museum, suggestions?)
Dessert from: Donut Planet and City Cakes and Eggloo in Chinatown
Need some ideas of places to eat where there is a kids meal choice. I hate to say it, but my kids like kid food. They will eat meat and three.

Thanks for any help with a schedule or just suggestions.

The air craft carrier is The Intrepid. Its on West Side Highway by the Javitz Center.

Im a local so personally you should try The Village (Washington Square Park Area) Can take the B D or Q train from 34th street to West Fourth Street Station. Lots to do and see in that area. Including the Comedy Cellar as someone has posted before. Many times you'll see comics from Saturdau Night Live there.

Natural History Museum is good. Much of your sights are in the 42nd street area (Broadway etc). Lower East Side Manhattan is always a pretty cool area. Thats the area on Houston Street between the Bowery and Essex street.+

Canal Street also has a ton of vendors etc and ends in China Town area.

Dont venture too far above 86th street in Manhattan. Once you hit the low 100's your in Harlem and can get pretty shady up there especially.

* Rescue worker during 9/11, but interesting if you go to the PATH station at WTC the escalator down looks exactly the same as when the WTC was above it, minus the building of course. *

BrinkofShine did a good job grouping activities.

I will throw out an alternate itinerary for your Coney Island day. With the ages of your children, you might be interested in the NY Aquarium. Also, after you are done with Coney Island, take the F train to the Brooklyn Bridge stop. You can then walk back to Manhattan over the bridge.

Thank you all for your help and organizing my list by area. What are your thoughts on this schedule? I skipped the Children's Art Museum, Radio City, and other museums. We will count the Intrepid as our "museum" time. If there is a glaring omission from our plans, let me know. If anyone can fit a good pizza by the slice place or cheesecake place that'd be great:

Question: Someone mentioned it gets sketchy 100th street and North. What about going to the Yankees game? Should we skip? I feel like we would be safe, but if there are people trying to look intimidating my kids may not FEEL safe)

Day 1
Ellen's Stardust Diner Opens at 7AM
Disney on Broadway 9:15AM-Noon
Rockefeller Center
BREAK
Intrepid Museum (Is it best to Uber to/from here? Can't figure out the Subway to here)
City Cakes
Chelsea High Line

Day 2
Central Park (4 hours)
Rockefeller Center
Grand Central Terminal
NY Public Library (Maybe)
BREAK
Times Square
Wicked

Day 3
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan
City Hall Park and Fountain
Lunch (Is there a well known pizza place nearby?)
Governor's Island (Bikes)
BREAK
(Maybe tram to and from Roosevelt Island? Not sure if there is time/worth it)
Serendipity III Dinner
Dylan's Candy Bar

Day 4 (Trying not to walk as much today for a break)
Hop On/Off Bus
Hop off at Empire State Building
Hop off at Chinatown (Eggloo)
Yankees Game

Day 5
Sleep In
Coney Island (1 hour travel time)
New York Aquarium
Luna Park
Nathan's Hot Dogs
BREAK
Dinner at Grey Dog

Day 6
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (9AM to 2PM)
Battery Park/ SeaGlass Carousel
Charging Bull
M20 Bus to 9/11 Memorial
One World Trade Observatory
May be done at this point, or if feeling ok:
Oculus
Donut Plant on the way back to hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter