Now "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" removed from the parade at Disneyland!

All the whataboutism isn't bringing the song back. Disney is going to control what they can control in their own legacy and history. That includes the song, the ride, and the movie it sprung out from. It doesn't include what countries do or have done or what colonizers do or have done in other countries. Change happens all the time at Disney. Songs change. They get shelved and put away. It's just a song. You are still free to enjoy it outside of the Disney parks.

This is a good point. If you cut out all the noise, all the arguments, you could just look at anything else that has become societally irrelevant. For all those who defend it, how many people today would even enjoy the movie in question? How many would even care? Is a 5 year old gonna rewatch it on Disney+ when they can binge Moana or Frozen all day? Yeah, they're not. It's just become something relegated to the past. They could do that with anything that doesn't connect with audiences anymore. There are certainly plenty of old things that I love - but I'm the only one, so, whatever. I don't expect to see the Blackbeard's Ghost float in parades!

Last edited:
This is a good point. If you cut out all the noise, all the arguments, you could just look at anything else that has become societally irrelevant. For all those who defent it, how many people today would even enjoy the movie in question? How many would even care? Is a 5 year old gonna rewatch it on Disney+ when they can binge Moana or Frozen all day? Yeah, they're not. It's just become something relegated to the past. They could do that with anything that doesn't connect with audiences anymore. There are certainly plenty of old things that I love - but I'm the only one, so, whatever. I don't expect to see the Blackbeard's Ghost float in parades!
There is plenty on Disney+ that many don't like. Perhaps one of the reasons for the loss of 2M subscribers in the last quarter? Those who refuse to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Although I see no evidence any of this matters to the current regime.

There is plenty on Disney+ that many don't like. Perhaps one of the reasons for the loss of 2M subscribers in the last quarter? Those who refuse to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Although I see no evidence any of this matters to the current regime.
Disney lost 2M subscribers in the last quarter due to people leaving the India version of Disney+ with Hotstar. It gained 200,000 domestic subscribers in the last quarter. It still has 161M global subscribers. So it seems many are still fine with Disney+.

Last edited:
Disney lost 2M subscribers in the last quarter due to people leaving the India version of Disney+ with Hotstar. It gained 200,000 domestic subscribers in the last quarter. It still has 161M global subscribers. So it seems many are still fine with Disney+.
Disney is just fine? Good! There should be no need to sell off assets, lay off/fire employees, reduce park hours, etc.

Disney is just fine? Good! There should be no need to sell off assets, lay off/fire employees, reduce park hours, etc.
I said " So it seems many are still fine with Disney+". I said nothing about Disney as a whole or their financial state. I get you want to play gotcha with those who disagree with you and do some whataboutism but I'm not down for your little games.

All the whataboutism isn't bringing the song back. Disney is going to control what they can control in their own legacy and history. That includes the song, the ride, and the movie it sprung out from. It doesn't include what countries do or have done or what colonizers do or have done in other countries. Change happens all the time at Disney. Songs change. They get shelved and put away. It's just a song. You are still free to enjoy it outside of the Disney parks.
Whataboubtisum is just a weak minded logical fallacy. It’s a cheap way to not have to defend the argument on its merits

I do find it interesting they are waiting to see how well received the new ride is before doubling down. Do they really care about the symbolism of the song or movie or do they care more about the synergy and merchandise sales from an integrated IP?

If there was any consistency or integrity shown in the outrage from either side I'd take it seriously.
Tom Sawyer would be missing as would many frontier connections not because of connections to slavery but the genocide and portrayal of native Americans.
Mexico pavilion for its connection to cannibalism and genocides.
China pavilion for it's genocides and history of abuses.
England pavilion for genocides and colonialism, same for France and Germany.
As bad as slavery in the US was the millions upon millions killed or enslaved after the Emancipation Proclamation was made in the US rarely get mentioned. The colonial powers had millions of de facto slaves and their history is celebrated.
If people had any integrity and are offended by slavery the would be buying Disney products made in areas with ongoing human rights abuses., nor iphones, nor Amazon junk.
The selective outrage doesn't move me a bit. The wry irony of people ginning up hate against any group or subject they disagree with while participating in the same or worse behaviour is only increasing.
These anti Song of the South people are hypocrites if they aren’t going after Mickey Mouse who has a white face and is anthropomorphic white cartoon along with Minnie, Goody and Donald. There’s no diversity or inclusiveness. Only Pooh is a Disney character of color.

Whataboubtisum is just a weak minded logical fallacy. It’s a cheap way to not have to defend the argument on its merits
Yeah, arguing over something you cannot change is real worthwhile. The song is gone. The ride is gone. The movie is gone. They are not returning. You can argue it all you want and whine about how it's hypocritical or that Mickey Mouse has white face. It will do nothing. But keep being you, I guess.

Yeah, arguing over something you cannot change is real worthwhile. The song is gone. The ride is gone. The movie is gone. They are not returning. You can argue it all you want and whine about how it's hypocritical or that Mickey Mouse has white face. It will do nothing. But keep being you, I guess.
You have a Disney animal with a white face in your avatar.

You have a Disney animal with a white face in your avatar.
And that will not change if this ride, the movie, or song comes back. Your argument is with Disney. What I have as an avatar or what I think about any of this does not matter. I am not a decision maker at Disney. Disney chose to do all of this. Your issue is with them. This is the last time I will respond to you.

And that will not change if this ride, the movie, or song comes back. Your argument is with Disney. What I have as an avatar or what I think about any of this does not matter. I am not a decision maker at Disney. Disney chose to do all of this. Your issue is with them. This is the last time I will respond to you.
You have control over yourself. You can change that avatar to a Disney avatar of color from that white anthromorphic Rabbit

I said " So it seems many are still fine with Disney+". I said nothing about Disney as a whole or their financial state. I get you want to play gotcha with those who disagree with you and do some whataboutism but I'm not down for your little games.
Oh dear! You are reading way too much into my comment. Perhaps I simply misread your post?

These anti Song of the South people are hypocrites if they aren’t going after Mickey Mouse who has a white face and is anthropomorphic white cartoon along with Minnie, Goody and Donald. There’s no diversity or inclusiveness. Only Pooh is a Disney character of color.
Congrats, you just reductio-ad-absurdum'ed yourself with this ridiculous post.
Meanwhile, your idea that Joel Chandler Harris was himself a racial minority is simply absurd.

Aaaaactually, some of us have written academic papers entitled, "Is Mickey White or Black?" with the idea that it could be a possible book on the ramifications of race at Walt Disney World (if there are any publishers, lol).

As Ramblin' said, it's not in the song, but the context does matter. I'm not sure I agree with removing the song from everything, but I can at least see where they are coming from. At the end of the day, it's just a song.
Instead of spending all that money transforming Splash Mountain, why not spend it on replacing Mission Space?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter