November to Remember Trip Report (Nov 6-13, 2012)

carlaewalter

Earning My Ears
Tuesday, November 6
This morning came quick as we were up late packing and prepping for our upcoming trip. We both managed to head over to get our vote on for the Presidential election since the polls opened at 6:00am. This would almost be the only time I thought of the election all day, whoops. We loaded up the car and headed to Dayton (about a 45 minute drive) to get to the airport. We had decided to use Park & Go Shuttle Service to save a few bucks for our long term parking. It was about 35° so we were a bit chilly, sweatshirts and light jackets were all we were wearing on the plane, so thankfully we didn’t have to wait out in the cold too long for the Shuttle over to the airport. We breezed through security without too much trouble. Kids who are under age 11(?) don’t have to remove their shoes, but DD3 insisted that hers must come off. So, off they came, and we headed onward to our gate. By the looks of those around us it was going to be a packed flight. We had checked 2 bags and had 2 carry-ons, in addition to my tote/purse, the kid’s backpacks and the camera bag. So when they announced that we could gate check bags for free, we took full advantage. In hindsight, this was a mistake, but all I was thinking was that it would be less stuff for us to handle at MCO. Our flight boarded and we were seated towards the rear of the plane. The flight took off on-time (11:16am) and we were on our way. Our kids have never flown before so I was really anxious about how they would handle the pressure changes and such. I made them each take a Dramamine, which was unnecessary, but I thought it might make them catch some zzzz’s so we could keep them out later that evening. The flight was uneventful and we landed a few minutes early in Orlando (1:27pm) Why does it always seem like an eternity to disembark the plane? Drives me nuts, didn’t those people realize we had some park touring to get to? :confused3

We boarded the airport Monorail to head over to concourse B for the Magical Express. Having never used this before, I appointed DH the designated airport navigator. We were able to get over there without any issues and were the first in our line. We waited just a few minutes when they herded us onto the bus. We were the 3rd stop with Caribbean Beach Resort and Pop Century being ahead of us. We arrived at Art of Animation and I was blown away by the looks of the resort. So many bright colors and the grounds looked great.

Our reservation was under my name, and since I did on-line check-in we received our packet within a few minutes but the KTTW they issued us were wrong. They had my son (8) as an infant and my daughter (2) as the child. So, they had to reprint them, and we were on our way. But wait, I forgot to pick-up the stroller we were renting from bell services, so as Tim and the kids were checking out the pool, I schlepped back up there. Found them and then whoops, I forgot the box I had shipped to the resort, so back I went. Keep in mind, we left Ohio and it was 35°, it was now a warm 75° in Florida. I was getting a tad warm with all that backtracking. Finally we were on our way towards the Little Mermaid area. We traveled the foot path through the Finding Nemo area, then through the Lion King section.

and found the elevator just past Ariel. We then headed up the elevators to our room (#8865).

***this is where we were kicking ourselves for gate checking our carry-ons. We all were wearing jeans and had nothing to change into. Doh! Needless to say, we were anxious to get to the parks, so we didn’t want to wait around for our luggage. Oh well, live and learn. :sad2:

Our room was a standard value room. It was what we expected as far as rooms go. I was pleasantly surprised to have a top floor, pool view rather than parking lot view though. We didn’t waste much time and decided to head over to Magic Kingdom for a few hours before our late dinner ADR.

We walked over to the bus area and didn’t have to wait long to board. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at about 3:40pm. I know the first thing we did was head into the Town Square Theatre to pick up our Photopass + card. While we were in there, we might as well meet the main man himself. It was great, minimum wait times and great interaction. Mickey is Gianna’s absolute favorite, so starting off this vacation with meeting him was awesome.

We next headed down Main Street and stopped for some Photopass photos, I was going to make sure to take advantage of that PP+.

We then stopped at a snack cart and bought some popcorn and a Mickey ice cream sandwich. We hadn’t eaten anything except some snacks on the plane, so we were all a little hungry. I know we paid cash for these because we were saving those snack credits for F&W.

Next up was Mad Tea Party. I offered to sit out and be the photographer. In reality, I would never get on this ride. Spinning rides and me do not play well together.

After their spin, we headed toward Dumbo for our chance to fly overhead. Virtually no wait, I know we didn’t wait even go into the new play area, just headed straight to the queue.

After that it was to The Barnstormer for us. I wasn’t sure how Gianna would do on this as she was just 2 years old, and she was not a fan. She screamed the whole time and clung to me with all her might. No tears were shed, just a lot of her exclaiming that “that was too fast!” After that we thought we better do something a little more mellow. We didn’t want to scare the heck out of Gianna in the first few hours.

Continued in next post...

I am so glad to find your trip report! We are have a trip planned for Nov 10-16 this year, and I am really curious to hear how things were during this same time period last year! Sounds like things were off to a good start.

I am so glad to find your trip report! We are have a trip planned for Nov 10-16 this year, and I am really curious to hear how things were during this same time period last year! Sounds like things were off to a good start.

We are re-booked for November 7-14 again this fall. It was a wonderful time to go. I'm hoping for a little warmer weather (only at pool time though:rotfl:)

We next headed over to Pete’s Silly Slideshow to meet with Goofy and Donald

and then with Daisy and Minnie. We had to wait a few minutes for Minnie since she had to powder her nose quick, but were first in line and the kind CM allowed Gianna to check out Minnie’s poodles up close.

By this time is was about 6:30 so we still had a couple hours to check out other things. We left Fantasyland and headed over to Tomorrowland. We stepped into line for Tomorrowland Speedway with Noah and Tim in one car and Me and Gianna in another. Not the most exciting ride, but served the purpose and allowed to Noah to “drive”, too bad Tim couldn’t control the break and gas and rammed us more than once… After our lap around the race track, Noah and Tim headed towards Space Mountain. Gianna and I in the meantime wondered over to the Club 626 Character Dance Party to get our groove on. The line for Space Mountain was only about 15 minutes and Noah had never been on it before and I was hoping he would give it a try. He tends to be a bit of a chicken with thrill rides, so when he came out and said he loved it, I was ecstatic!

After that we decided to see what the wait was for Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. The kids always get a kick out of it and we always think that this will be the time Tim is picked to be “That Guy”, but alas, he wasn’t. As always, a cute show that the kids enjoy. By now it was creeping up on 8:00pm as we were walking by Tomorrowland Terrace. We found an less crowded spot and decided to stop and watch Wishes while we were there. Originally, we were going to head out of the park and walk over to the Contemporary for our ADR, but when you’re there and you hear the intro, it’s really hard not to stop and watch. Once Wishes wrapped up, we fought our way through the crowds and headed back down Main Street to the park exit.

We left the Magic Kingdom and used the walkway over to the Contemporary Resort for our 9:05pm reservation at Chef Mickey’s. Originally, I had a 7:00 reservation, but when the later time came up I switched it to allow for more time that first night. I knew the kids would be wide awake and excited that first day, so the late time didn’t scare me one bit. Based on the time stamp on the Photopass picture with the plate, we checked in around 8:40.

We were seated and the characters started coming around immediately. We filled our bellies, over filled them actually, and headed out around 10:00pm.

Noah can’t resist a monorail ride, so that’s what we did. Hopped on and took a trip around the resort loop. We got off at the Magic Kingdom and to our surprise; the Electrical Water Pageant was passing by.

Magic Kingdom was open until 1:00am, but everyone passed on going back in, so we headed over to the bus area to head back to AoA to call it a night.

Over all, we declared it a pretty successful first day.

Continued in next post...

Sounds like you had a great 1st day! We are going Nov 3-8 this year hopeing the crowds are not too bad as it is Jersey Week. Last year we visited the week after Thanksgiving.

Can't wait to read more.

Love all your pics! :)
Thank you so much! I did a final count and had over 2500 taken this week :rotfl:

Count me in!!
Welcome, Welcome! This is my first attempt, so bear with me...

Sounds like you had a great 1st day! We are going Nov 3-8 this year hopeing the crowds are not too bad as it is Jersey Week. Last year we visited the week after Thanksgiving.

Can't wait to read more.
I didn't find the crowds terrible at all. Although last year was at the same time Hurricane Sandy hit, so there may have been a lot of cancellations?

Oh hey you started a trip report!:) Yay!

Your kids have the prettiest eyes!!
I thought I would give this whole Trip Report a try. I read so many of them, I thought it would be nice to try. And it allows me to revisit my trip

Joining in on the fun! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip!
:yay:
Hello! Thanks for joining in.

Wednesday, November 7
We woke up this morning and Tim went for his morning jog around the grounds of Hourglass Lake. I showered and prepped for the day at Animal Kingdom. We let the kids sleep in a little bit since it was a long travel/first day yesterday. Tim returned and headed to fill up my coffee for me. Once we were all dressed and ready to go, we headed out.

First things, first, Photopass photos.

After that, we headed towards Kilimanjaro Safari, but the line was longish, so we grabbed Fast Passes for later on. Next up, we walked over to Expedition Everest. Noah chickened out, so Tim went alone. He missed the single rider line sign, so headed through the regular queue. It was a 15 minute stand-by so we didn’t wait long.

Once he finished up on that, we thought we could catch the 10:30 Flights of Wonder Show before our return time at the Safari, so that’s what we did. This was a first for us and it was great. We had good seats and the kids enjoyed it.

After the show, we traveled back to Africa. On the way, we were lucky enough to run into DiVine. Now that is something you have to see to appreciate. Amazing!

Now it was Safari time. Standard Safari, nothing out of the ordinary happened until the end when there were some animals on the trail and we had to sit and wait for a while until they called a truck in to help move them.

Overall, we saw a lot of animals including the new Zebras, but the lion eluded us again, we'll we saw his mane, but that's it. And I didn't miss the "Little Red" storyline at all.

After our Safari, we headed towards the Wildlife Express Train to head out to Rafiki's Planet Watch. There really isn't much there, but it's interesting to see the backstage area of Animal Kingdom. Had to stop at the first Kids' Discovery Club spot of the day.

Next up, Rafiki. Gianna didn't know what to think of this guy. And no Photopass Photographer??? Weird.

Gianna had a ball brushing the animals in the petting zoo though. Me, I couldn't wait to wash my hands and get the heck out of there.

By now it was about 1:00 so we loaded back onto the train and thought we would make our way towards Camp Minnie-Mickey. I know on our way through we stopped somewhere and grabbed two soft pretzels to snack on.
Once we were over there, we were fortunate enough to be allowed into the Festival of the Lion King. I know we arrived at the last possible minute, so our seats were not the best, but we enjoyed it none-the-less. We will definitely be returning to see it again (hopefully in better seats and to enjoy the pre-show some)

After the show, Gianna was wiped out, and we had about an hour and half to kill before the Jammin' Jungle Parade...

Continued in next post....

We left off with Gianna being wiped out after FOTLK and falling asleep in the stroller. We had some time to kill before the parade. I was determined to see the AK parade this trip because we hadn't ever seen it before. So, with her snoozing in the stroller, we trekked over to DinoLand USA.

With Gianna sleeping in the stroller, I found a seat and Tim and Noah hit up Primeval Whirl. Noah loves this ride. After they finished up there, we walked toward Dinosaur. Gianna was waking up, so we hung out outside while they were on the ride.

After Dinosaur, we were running out of time to find a spot for the parade. It was 3:30 and we needed to get over there. We found a tiny patch of asphalt right next to the entrance of "It's Tough To Be A Bug". While we waited, Gianna was happy to try out her giant lollipop we purchased in the Dinosaur dump shop.

The parade finally made it to us. I loved the bright colors and the different animal floats that came through.

After the parade, we opted just to leave our stroller where we parked it and head into ITTBAB. Gianna is so terrified of this attraction, but she just buries her head into my shoulder when needed. Some parts she does actually manage to enjoy though.

We finished up with that and it was time to meet Russell and Dug.

After our meet, we wanted to see the final show of Finding Nemo-The Musical. I don't have any pictures from this at all, but I know that we saw it and were seated up towards the top. Unfortunately, we had terrible seat neighbors who talked non-stop through the whole show. We finished up with that and headed back into DinoLand. First we got into line for TriceraTop Spin. Gianna enjoyed it and was happy to ride something.

After our flight, Tim and Noah headed back into line for another spin on Primevel Whirl. It was after closing by this point, so we made our way to the front of the park. Before leaving though of course, we had to have some more PhotoPass pictures taken.

I apologize I didn't take better notes. I know somewhere in there we managed to stop at DinoLand, Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Discovery Island Kids' Discovery Club spots. Also, did you happen to notice that we didn't stop and have any real meals this day! Too much to do I suppose:confused3

We made our way to the bus stop and jumped in the line for the Grand Floridian. We had an 8:00 ADR for 1900 Park Fare to get to.

Hi! It's Tami from the Disney fb group. Enjoying reading about your trip. Your kids are adorable. I can't wait to read more! :yay: Trip reports help me live vicariously through people so I don't have to be sad that I won't be back to Disney for a long, long, long time. :sad1:

Hi! It's Tami from the Disney fb group. Enjoying reading about your trip. Your kids are adorable. I can't wait to read more! :yay: Trip reports help me live vicariously through people so I don't have to be sad that I won't be back to Disney for a long, long, long time. :sad1:

I'm glad you clarified your identity because I wouldn't have figured it our based on your user name ;) Welcome!

After a great day at Animal Kingdom, we made our way over to Grand Floridian for our dinner at 1900 Park Fare. We had never been to Grand Floridian before so arriving early was great so we could take in the resort and lobby a bit before dinner.

I could not get over the decor and sheer size of the lobby.

We wondered around and went into some shops.

Gianna loves to try on Mickey ears, but didn't want to purchase any :confused3. Oh well, more money for other things I suppose.

We then went to check in and they gave us a pager. It took about 20 minutes for them to buzz us, so we watched some TV in the lobby in the meantime.

Finally we were buzzed and they took our picture.

We took our seats and headed to the buffet. It wasn't too long before the characters made it to us. We were seated against the wall and there was a half wall to the side, so I couldn't really see who was coming, so Noah and Gianna would keep their eye out for us.

I love this picture of Noah. He initially was not too pleased to have to go to a Cinderella dinner. Once we explained to him that they would have shrimp cocktail, he was on board. His outlook got even better when he saw how fun the characters were. He has since said that it's Disney, it's totally acceptable for boys to talk to princesses.

Overall, dinner was great. Yes it's a buffet, but the food that night was hot and fresh (and my beers were cold). The characters were great and made multiple rounds. It's on our list to return.

It sounds like we may be there about the same time - we will be going from 11 Nov - 16 Nov :) Sounds like the parks aren't going to be too crazy at that time of year and we will still get all the Xmas decorations and Mickey's Very Merry Xmas Party as well (we are heading to the one on the 11 Nov :)) I am also counting down the days! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter