• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

November or December?

I was originally booked for December of this year (second week). I wanted to go the first week of December but I had to change it for work. I'm thinking I might change to November (week before Thanksgiving).

Seeing the Christmas decor is the most important thing about this trip for me. Which month is better for crowds, weather, etc? Obviously things after different this year for crowds because of everything happening.

We haven't been to Disneyland in November but we are thinking about it for this year as well since we just canceled our May trip so i have been doing some research into this. So for what its worth the weather seems to be nice low to mid 70's (coming from Alberta in Nov this is nice lol) and the rain fall seems to be minimal as well.

Now from a practical stand point I think you may as well throw darts at a dart board blindfolded. I think all bets are going to be off for being able to predict how crowds will be. Assuming that social distancing, and bans on large crowds, travel restrictions etc...are relaxed or stopped how will people react? People could be so missing doing normal fun things that they go back in high numbers or they might be very skittish and stay away. The economy and peoples ability to do vacations will be a huge factor in this as well. Disneyland may be in a better situation as there is a large local population that goes regularly but the cost for people doing vacations is going to be interesting to see.

From what I have read the week before US thanksgiving is very busy as well so if all is status quo then that would be a factor as well.

Personally our family is probably looking at next year now. As much as we would love to go this year (really really love to go) I just don't think its prudent or feasible to do it this year. To many unknown variables. Sorry for the wordy dissertation.

thanksgiving is late into the year for 2020, so will be crowded, but if you are just focused on decor and christmas music acts thru out Disneyland, should not be a problem. maxpass or fastpass will set you up for smallword decor, try to visit during afternoon parade if no fastpass. Plus all the photo ops of christmas desserts,. I was there on a very crowded, and have support here, that day I visited, monday 9th? super busy, but with maxpass, no problem and we saw chirstmas all day long. Fireworks depend on your tradition.....I use to be a castle watcher, but now in front of Crystal palace for show art and easy to access. I have a trip report about the day post here on Disboards.

This is a little tricky. We typically go during Thanksgiving week (Sunday-Thursday), check out Thursday and spent it with family. Last year (2019), this period of time was POURING RAIN for half the week. Was very impressive (we were in full waterproof gear, so still had a good time).

Typically, there's a lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas as children are back in school until winter break.

Deciding between the week before Thanksgiving and week 2 of December, I'm going to vote for December 6-13 as the better option crowd-wise. Weather-wise, November has a slight advantage IMO.

We haven't been to Disneyland in November but we are thinking about it for this year as well since we just canceled our May trip so i have been doing some research into this. So for what its worth the weather seems to be nice low to mid 70's (coming from Alberta in Nov this is nice lol) and the rain fall seems to be minimal as well...
Not always! See Thanksgiving day crowds, despite the rain, pics + park map offer) and below.

This is a little tricky. We typically go during Thanksgiving week (Sunday-Thursday), check out Thursday and spent it with family. Last year (2019), this period of time was POURING RAIN for half the week. Was very impressive (we were in full waterproof gear, so still had a good time)...
You know it! And because you planned ahead, did your research on this board, and packed accordingly, you were still able to have fun in the parks!

You know it! And because you planned ahead, did your research on this board, and packed accordingly, you were still able to have fun in the parks!

I felt reeeally bad for those that were winging it. I'm talking like, seeing soaked, non-waterproof shoes in line (you could see water getting wrung out of them with each step down), people in sandals, jeans that were soaked through, etc...

We basically dressed as if we were going snowboarding (minus the extra warm base layers), and brought a waterproof bag that normally attaches to the front of a raft/boat.

But my face was still cold on Dumbo (no wonder there was zero wait).

Are you allowed to tour the resorts in December even if you are not staying there?

I would do early December. Crowds can be busy during holiday weeks because people like to tack those on to vacation time. We used to go the first week of December when it was easier to pull our kids out of school and it was a good time to go - not too crowded yet, but still all dolled up for the holidays.

We are facing the same decision, late November or early December. Normally we arrive the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we will probably opt for earlier, because my parents are elderly and dad has bad asthma. We see them every Christmas and it would be safer for them if we put as many weeks as possible between our Disney trip and the date we drive to their home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter