Notifying school of child's absence...

This thread is 8 years old. I think it is time for a new one.

Eh, it's the kind of thread people would read if they searched the topic, instead of asking again, so it's a good place to post general answers.

I don't pull DS now that he's in high school, but I often did for a couple of days when he was younger. I just let his teachers know that we would be away with family and that any work that happened to be available in advance would be appreciated and completed. (Most teachers I know don't like putting huge packets together because they've been burned in the past - families asked for them, then didn't do them! But if you acknowledge those feelings up front, there are usually at least some things that are already copied.)

It helped that I'm a sub in DS's district, so they also knew they could just say "work on 2-digit addition with regrouping" or "have him practice comparing and contrasting two stories" and be confident I'd do that.

With today's technology, it's getting easier than ever to keep up. Class websites and on-line newsletters in elementary have things like vocabulary lists and spelling words, many middle and high schools have "portal" type systems where assignments are posted, and kids can text classmates asking what pages were covered. (They can even text back photos of worksheets or study guides.)

Although this thread is 8 years old, keep in mind that it’s extra work for the teacher to put together a packet, you can ask nicely, but add that your child will make up the work when back if a packet isn’t possible.

If my middle school/high school students will be missing school, it’s up to them to write notes to their teachers, and see what work needs to be done, I just notify the attendance offices.

Our note was sent in a week before we left. It just said "ODD & YDD will be out of school from this date and returning on this date. We fully expect them to complete any work missed, if this can be provided to us at your convenience we would appreciate it. Thanks."

The past few years ODD teachers had no issues making up a small packet of work for her. She is only in 1st grade this year so the work previously was pretty much just worksheets etc.

This year new principal, new rules. We recieved a note back from ODD 1st grade teacher pointing us to certain pages in the student- parent handbook.
Apparently it is school policy that if students are taken out for vacation ("unexcused absence") they are not given any classwork, homework or test to make up.
They will not recieve zeroes for missed assignments either, just will have less grades to be worked into their average. They will rec 1 point off their avereage for each test missed.

At first I was like ok great we don't have to do any work on vacay -YES! But then I read the last part about subtracting the point from their average and I was a bit mad. I thought it was a little harsh. ODD grades are all 95 and above so it's not too big of a deal.

Seemingly this was always the policy, it was just never inforced.

The handbook also made a point of saying that it is against NYS law to take children out of school for vacation. So I guess I should expect the po-po knocking at my door any moment.

That form letter is hilarious and VERY unnecessary.

My kids miss for lots of reasons, cheer competitions, family plans, etc. A rest day to recharge (I've done it).

So, we have a vacation MLK weekend and on top of the school holiday they will miss an additional day. My email will read something like this:

To: All teacher email
Subject: Childs Name Absence on Date.
Body: Hey, just wanted to let you know XXX and XXX will not be in school on XXX date. Please let me know if there is any work they need to make-up. Thanks and have a great MLK weekend!
Signed: Me

It's an unexcused absence for their high school... no need to go to great lengths to do anything special. I will send it about a week in advance so if there is a test or anything they can take it early or upon return to school.

Some of their teachers may give them a zero for participation that day since or not let them make-up the work. Some high school teachers are like that. High school is much harder to miss school, but sometimes you just have to do things for your family regardless.

I realize this thread is older, but I see this issue come up a lot here. I wanted to give my input as a teacher. I'm Canadian, and so maybe the pedagogy on teaching is different here! But these are my thoughts:

-I absolutely think pulling kids from school for family vacations is worth it!

Realizing things become more difficult in high school, where grades and such determine entrance to Univeristy, but prior to that I don't think missed school matters at all! What ever a child learns, or memories made, on a family vacation for a week is going to have WAY more value than sitting in a classroom for a week.

-I never send home missed work with students. If parents are insistent that their child be doing something, I encourage them to continue their nightly reading and to keep a journal. Not for my sake, but for the child's and the joy it will bring them to look back on it down the road.

-learning isn't about the destination, but the process. Anything that truly matters that is missed, such as math, can be caught up later. Possibly not going on a family vacation because said family can't afford or doesn't want to travel during peak travel times is far, far worse.

But some school districts see it much differently and there have been cases of a visit from truancy officers due to missed school. The best advice (and really the only advice on this matter) is to read the policy of your school district and to talk with school officials/teachers. What we think, or what *your* district does doesn't help those who live elsewhere.

Just so you know teachers and administrators, at least in my school, hate getting that form letter posted above about the supposed educational value of Disney or other such letters trying to pass off a family trip for recreational purposes as educational. It is a vacation not an educational field trip and we all know that. Just tell them when you will be out, and that you would like the work ahead of time if possible. You will get a lot farther being direct and polite than trying to make excuses or justify the trip, neither of which are really necessary.
In the school district where I teach, a vacation anywhere would be considered unexcused in any grade, Pre-K - 12. Pre-K is just as important as any other grade. The State of Connecticut monitors absences very closely and requires doctors notes. Up to 10 handwritten notes are accepted if it’s for death in the family, minor illness not requiring a doctor’s visit, and other emergencies. 20 unexcused absences leads to a DCF referral. When students are pulled out of school for vacation, it is crucial that they have excellent attendance for the rest of the school year. Worksheets do not replace instructional time in the classroom.
Your best bet is to be straightforward with the school and make sure that your child’s attendance is otherwise excellent. Your child’s teacher will appreciate your honesty.

Our note was sent in a week before we left. It just said "ODD & YDD will be out of school from this date and returning on this date. We fully expect them to complete any work missed, if this can be provided to us at your convenience we would appreciate it. Thanks."

The past few years ODD teachers had no issues making up a small packet of work for her. She is only in 1st grade this year so the work previously was pretty much just worksheets etc.

This year new principal, new rules. We recieved a note back from ODD 1st grade teacher pointing us to certain pages in the student- parent handbook.
Apparently it is school policy that if students are taken out for vacation ("unexcused absence") they are not given any classwork, homework or test to make up.
They will not recieve zeroes for missed assignments either, just will have less grades to be worked into their average. They will rec 1 point off their avereage for each test missed.

At first I was like ok great we don't have to do any work on vacay -YES! But then I read the last part about subtracting the point from their average and I was a bit mad. I thought it was a little harsh. ODD grades are all 95 and above so it's not too big of a deal.

Seemingly this was always the policy, it was just never inforced.

The handbook also made a point of saying that it is against NYS law to take children out of school for vacation. So I guess I should expect the po-po knocking at my door any moment.
I took DD out of school for one day, the half day before Christmas break because we were driving to WDW. I notified her school and had gotten permission from my principal to take a personal day before vacation which is usually not allowed, but she made an exception. We were driving through New Jersey when DD’s school called because she was absent. I explained that I had notified the office. She asked if DD would be late. She just wasn’t getting it that we were out of state and not turning around. All this for missing a half day. I never could have taken her out for a week, much less taken the time myself. That’s why we travel during school vacations. We’ve gone in February, December, and summer. When I am retired from teaching, I will definitely travel when school is in session. Can’t wait!

I always tell the teachers on back to school night about the trip coming up and then I send in the letter about 3 or 4 weeks ahead and I ask what’s easier for the teacher, putting together a packet or making up work after. It gets more difficult with the older kids, but my kids are all good students, and I feel like making memories with family is worth missing a week or so of school.

I realize this thread is older, but I see this issue come up a lot here. I wanted to give my input as a teacher. I'm Canadian, and so maybe the pedagogy on teaching is different here! But these are my thoughts:

-I absolutely think pulling kids from school for family vacations is worth it!

Realizing things become more difficult in high school, where grades and such determine entrance to Univeristy, but prior to that I don't think missed school matters at all! What ever a child learns, or memories made, on a family vacation for a week is going to have WAY more value than sitting in a classroom for a week.

-I never send home missed work with students. If parents are insistent that their child be doing something, I encourage them to continue their nightly reading and to keep a journal. Not for my sake, but for the child's and the joy it will bring them to look back on it down the road.

-learning isn't about the destination, but the process. Anything that truly matters that is missed, such as math, can be caught up later. Possibly not going on a family vacation because said family can't afford or doesn't want to travel during peak travel times is far, far worse.

I am a teacher as well (in the US) and couldn't agree more!!! :lovestruc

As a teacher I roll my eyes at that letter and I took my kids out of school to go to Turkey several years ago (which IMO was a LOT more educational).

The only thing I will say about taking your kids out of school for a trip is to know your kids and know your school policy. My schools policy is that any school missed for a vacation is unexcused & because of that, teachers don't have to give makeup work. Also, as kids get older, IMO it gets more difficult to miss school. My daughter is in a lot of AP classes and a few years ago I mentioned missing a few days to go somewhere & I thought she was going to kill me with her stare. She wouldn't enjoy any vacation during the school year because she would be so worried about what she missed.

I have no problem taking my daughter out of school for vacation,the school districts have shortened summer break to less than 2 months here.This makes trying to plan any kind of vacation close to impossible for us between school and work conflicts.

Letter to my kids teachers ...

Ms. Teacher,

(Daughters name) will be absent form (date) to (date). Our family will be out of state. If there is any work that needs to be completed while we are gone, please send it home on (date). If not, let me know if there is anything she needs to make up after our return.

Thank you, (my name).

We are leaving later this month for our long anticipated trip to WDW. I have a DS in 2nd grade and a DD in 4K. I've never taken my kids out of school for a trip so I was wondering what I need to put in my note to the principal/teacher. Obviously the dates, but I also want them to send any classwork home that we can do while on our trip. Can someone share with me the sample letter they sent to their DD/DS's school? I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

I know this thread is old but I'm sure others have wondered the same thing. I haven't read all the responses, but why do you need to even give a long explanation? Why can't parents just say, "my kiddos are going to be away for a week as we are going on a trip." and leave it at that? We are taking ours out for a week and I haven't felt the need to explain or convince their teachers of our decision. Maybe because they are in private school so we are paying a fortune to send them there, lol. But I am the parent, I choose what is best for my kids. Our teachers were awesome about it and are excited for the kids to experience Disney (they both were curious as to where we were going!) However, I understand not every school is going to be as easy going about it and maybe there are rules/laws that are different in other provinces or states.

In our school we very rarely get any notes up front at all of a long absence. Sometimes the kids will let us know that they need work for a few days. Then when they return they may or may not turn in a note to their homeroom teacher. Unless I am that teacher, I never see an excuse. So... for the most part, as a teacher, I don't know why the kids are absent unless they tell me personally. We give out whatever work is needed/asked for including tests. We have kids who miss lots of school on a regular basis and never get in trouble or do their parents. We are a large school system which probably makes a difference.

In our school we very rarely get any notes up front at all of a long absence. Sometimes the kids will let us know that they need work for a few days. Then when they return they may or may not turn in a note to their homeroom teacher. Unless I am that teacher, I never see an excuse. So... for the most part, as a teacher, I don't know why the kids are absent unless they tell me personally. We give out whatever work is needed/asked for including tests. We have kids who miss lots of school on a regular basis and never get in trouble or do their parents. We are a large school system which probably makes a difference.
I teach in a very large low-income inner city school district where attendance is a BIG deal. We have truancy officers who do home visits regularly. Most of my students are dual language learners and attendance is equated with success in school. Our students with attendance issues are missing out on necessary instruction and fall behind. This results in repeating a grade, and in many cases, a DCF referral. Low attendance equals low achievement.
My daughter attended suburban schools which actually had the same strict policies. So I thought all school systems were like ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter