Nothing to See Here...

Time for Toy Story Mania. We entered DCA through the handy-dandy GCH entrance, and instantly began chatting with a family of four – three men and a grandmotherly-looking type - in the line to get into the park. At one point, it seemed to me that the two adult sons may have either been trying to size us/me up as potential mates for their dad, or Dad was trying to size us/me up as a potential mate for one of the sons. When you are 41 years old, it is hard to tell if you belong with Dad or Junior! In any case, I was not interested in making a love connection or planning an arranged marriage at DLR, and TSMM was my only focus.

hahahah oh my gosh that made me laugh out loud. Love connection at Disneyland!! C'mon, who cares if Jr. was 20 years younger! :laughing: Besides, you could come back after the courtship and do a DL wedding! :D

Hi - I really enjoyed your TR; you made it all sound so real. I felt like I was there (I could even smell the water and I would so trip over that "haunted drawer", too)! Wish your TR had pictures! I have one question for you - how did you get a Premium Annual Pass for $191.00??

hahahah oh my gosh that made me laugh out loud. Love connection at Disneyland!! C'mon, who cares if Jr. was 20 years younger! :laughing: Besides, you could come back after the courtship and do a DL wedding! :D

I think the adult sons may have been in their very late 20's or early 30's. And dad was probably in his very late 50's or early 60's. The grandma loooked like a young grandma. One of the sons seemed to be trying to make chit chat in the TSMM line (the great Goofy's Kitchen vs. Storyteller's Cafe debate), but when they exited the line as it broke down, the dad said something about giving us his e-mail address. Oh well, they were a nice family - maybe they were just all sick of each other and needed someone else to talk to! That is one thing I love about DLR - everybody likes to talk in line and get to know each other. You meet people from all over the USA and the world!

Hi - I really enjoyed your TR; you made it all sound so real. I felt like I was there (I could even smell the water and I would so trip over that "haunted drawer", too)! Wish your TR had pictures! I have one question for you - how did you get a Premium Annual Pass for $191.00??

Thanks for reading the TR! I wish I could tell you that I stumbled upon a great discount for the Premium AP that I could share with everyone, but in actuality, I had was 3 one-day/one-park tickets (never used) which had been given to me by a client of mine last year (I do freelance work a home until I get another office job). I applied the 3 tickets (a total value of $198) towards the cost of a Premium Annual Pass (DLR and their Bank view unused tickets "just like money"), and that meant I only had to pay $191. Seeing that it covered my visit that weekend as well as any future ones in the next year, and the fact that I started using it for discounts on meals and merchandise right away, AND I can use it toward hotel stays in the future, it was a GREAT bargain!

Oh my Sherry! You mean you didn't go to DLR to make a love connection?:rotfl2: I really enjoy reading your report.:goodvibes

Oh my Sherry! You mean you didn't go to DLR to make a love connection?:rotfl2: I really enjoy reading your report.:goodvibes

Not in that particular situation! When it is clear as to whether it is the father or son I am supposed to be paired up with, then maybe I would consider it! But I am usually hot and perspiring and my hair is getting in my face and my feet and/or back are aching, and I have just scarfed down a big breakfast at Goofy's and am feeling bloated, so I am not in prime man-catching mode!!!

Glad you are enjoying the TR!

I think I saw PRINCESSplazola’s Sister-in-law. I recognize her hair and her outfit. I didn’t see PRINCESS and her adorable son, though!

Sherry E! you are so sweet:hug: i really wish we did get to see you while we were there!
and what a GREAT TR!! i really enjoyed reading it:goodvibes and was sad when i got done!! lol i got the feeling of leaving DL to go back home when i finished your TR....that means its REALLY good:thumbsup2 hehe

that sucks about your water situation at PPH! i couldnt imagine having to go through that...especially at a disney hotel! i hope you let us know when disney writes back to you!! so, other than that, would you still recommend PPH? would it be better to pay more and go to the disneyland hotel?

Sherry E! you are so sweet:hug: i really wish we did get to see you while we were there!
and what a GREAT TR!! i really enjoyed reading it:goodvibes and was sad when i got done!! lol i got the feeling of leaving DL to go back home when i finished your TR....that means its REALLY good:thumbsup2 hehe

that sucks about your water situation at PPH! i couldnt imagine having to go through that...especially at a disney hotel! i hope you let us know when disney writes back to you!! so, other than that, would you still recommend PPH? would it be better to pay more and go to the disneyland hotel?

Thank so much for the nice comments! I am glad you enjoyed reading my long, epic TR! Even without pictures! And yes, it is always a bit of sad feelign to leave DLR, isn't it? Even with the APs (and I know you and I both have them now!:cool1: ), you always feel a little melancholy leaving the DLR property!

It seems like nobody from DISboards has been able to meet at these TOTP's! Wazowskilover was not able to find Prettyprincessbelle anywhere on their TOTP night. And Cseca not only was right across the hall from me in the PPH hotel and we never met, but she was also at the TOTP on the night we were there and nobody crossed paths... and yet, as I say that, there is currently an active thread going on about running into people you know in DLR out of the blue, and that happens all the time. But when you expect to see someone or want to meet up with them, it doesn't happen!!!!:sad2:

Yes, my friend was totally grossed out by the water in the PPH faucet and had to turn it off. She ended up rinsing her mouth after brishing with the bottled water we brought! It was just icky. And we have never experienced that at any of the three DLR hotels. They must have been having a plumbing or sewer issue of some kind, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a health hazard. I actually sent my e-mail about it seven days ago exactly, and they tell you in their automated response that it usually takes up to 7 "business days" for them to respond, so I guess I still a few more days to wait. I don't expect anything because I didn't complain while I was there. If I had, I might have gotten credited back for one night's stay or something, but I just didn't push it then. I think they will just send me a generic e-mail that says they are sorry and they hope I will visit again in the future.

As for recommending PPH - well, this was the first even sort of bad experience I have had there. Normally, it is fine. It is not elegant like the GCH and it doesn't have AS MUCH magic as the DLH, but it has the adorable shampoo bottles with the Mickey heads in the bathroom, and it is in slightly better shape than the DLH is. Also, it is easy to cut across the street from the PPH to the GCH lobby and head to the DL/DCA entrances. So, yes, I guess I would recommend it. If you thnk your little guy would really love the extra touches of Mickey and Disney around, then maybe paying slightly more for the DLH would be better, but PPH is usually fine. Normally they don't have poopy water and drawers that stick out, I hope! There is a cute surfer Goofy statue in the lobby too,and cute little surfboard and seashell soapdishes in the bathroom. And you can still walk over to the fun stuff in the DLH even if you don't stay there, like the koi fish pond and the waterfalls and miniature Jungle Cruise boats

So it leaves me wondering about Disneyland – is TOO much never enough, or does a little go a loooong way? Is it possible for DLR to ‘get old’ in just a few days when you have barely scratched the surface? And if so, then why do I instantly want to get right back to DLR after I leave it?

You make an excellent point Sherry. I kinda felt the same way about my trip. We missed a LOT of stuff that I really wanted to see, or do again, but by the end of our trip I was just SO over disneyland.... but I already feel a hankering to go back! :rotfl:

I think what it was for me, at least was, we picked the week we did expecting crowds to be lighter than usual and we were dead wrong. More importantly we picked it because weather was supposed to be mild and it wasn't. I can't stand the heat and so the nasty global warming weather really put me off.

I mean, it was better than being at work and I spent some awesome time with my friends, but maybe the disney magic is something you have to do yourself now that the CM's won't do it for you :wizard: hahaha

I'd say a little goes a long way.

Totally loved the details in your TR, read the whole thing!! Now I'm IMPATIENTLY waiting for your pictures!!!

You make an excellent point Sherry. I kinda felt the same way about my trip. We missed a LOT of stuff that I really wanted to see, or do again, but by the end of our trip I was just SO over disneyland.... but I already feel a hankering to go back! :rotfl:

I think what it was for me, at least was, we picked the week we did expecting crowds to be lighter than usual and we were dead wrong. More importantly we picked it because weather was supposed to be mild and it wasn't. I can't stand the heat and so the nasty global warming weather really put me off.

I mean, it was better than being at work and I spent some awesome time with my friends, but maybe the disney magic is something you have to do yourself now that the CM's won't do it for you :wizard: hahaha

I'd say a little goes a long way.

Totally loved the details in your TR, read the whole thing!! Now I'm IMPATIENTLY waiting for your pictures!!!

It is a delicate balance that must be struck between getting a lot done in DLR and taking a break here and there. It is tough to squeeze in a lot in just two days, and try to rest too. Inevitably, someone didn't get to see or do everything they wanted to do or someone gets burnt out and exhausted because they didn't take enough breaks! I still think that for me and my usual possible DLR companions, it MAY be effective to try staying at the hotel for more nights than we usually do and spreading the activities in the parks out over more days than we usually do - in shorter increments. That way, lots of time for rest, and more time to get everything done, and nothing seems so daunting. The only problem with that is MONEY! Coming up with the funds to do a marathon stay at one of the hotels and at least one mega-Park Hopper (for at least one friend) is not easy. So, until that can happen, it seems the only way to do it is with a 2 or 3-night stay at a hotel and a 2 or 3-day visit into the parks, trying to cram into eating, riding, Hidden Mickey hunting, shopping, people watching and resting. And I have seen where that has gotten us, so it can only get worse over time, as we get older!

Talk about getting the yada, yada. Geez you would expect more for the money we pay.

Talk about getting the yada, yada. Geez you would expect more for the money we pay.

Yep. That is definitely the yada, yada answer. Really surprising in a way, given the money we pay, as you say, and also just the fact that MOST restaurants anywhere else will comp your meal or offer you a free one in the future if you complain. Not Disney, though! And I would never expect them to say, "Here, we are refunding all of your money from your PPH stay." Lord knows I don't expect them to do that, nor would I think that is fair to them. But I am really surprised that they don't offer something like a free meal or a credit towards the hotel bill of some kind, etc. Those things wouldn't be a big deal for them to do. If someone is telling you that the water coming from their room's faucets smelled, literally, like crap, and the service and meal in one restaurant (not even Blue Bayou, but Carnation Cafe) was unsatisfactory, they should handle it like any other hotel or restaurant would. But not Disney! I guess they don't feel they should have to.

Oh well! They have me sucked in as a lifelong fan, but they are showing their less magical side every now and then!

I know what you mean. A few years ago my DH and I were down in Beverly Hills for a Richard Simmons retreat and we stayed at a Marriots. The housekeeping did not clean our room. I had to request clean towels. I left a tip on the bed for housekeeping and although they didn't clean they felt free to take my tip. I was furious. When we came home I sent an email to them just to let them know how we felt and so that they were aware of what their staff was doing. I received what I thought was a yada, yada from corporate saying they were letting the manager know. A few days later I received a very nice email back from the manager apologizing for any problems caused by everything and he comped us 40% of our bill. I was very impressed. I never expected that at all.

I know what you mean. A few years ago my DH and I were down in Beverly Hills for a Richard Simmons retreat and we stayed at a Marriots. The housekeeping did not clean our room. I had to request clean towels. I left a tip on the bed for housekeeping and although they didn't clean they felt free to take my tip. I was furious. When we came home I sent an email to them just to let them know how we felt and so that they were aware of what their staff was doing. I received what I thought was a yada, yada from corporate saying they were letting the manager know. A few days later I received a very nice email back from the manager apologizing for any problems caused by everything and he comped us 40% of our bill. I was very impressed. I never expected that at all.

Yeah, see that is exactly what I mean - it is something Mariott took the initiative on so you didn't have to look like you were just trying to get a freebie and they didn't go overboard and offer you a WHOLE refund but a good amount off the bill. That is good customer service! It is not like you said, "I don't like the shower curtain." You had a legitimate complaint worthy of some kind of reimbursement or compensation even if you didn't expect it, and they did their job and got right on it! I am sure many hotels would behave the same way, which is why DLR's behavior still baffles me. I suppose they just think they are Disney and so therefore, anything goes!! But then I hear other stories from people where DLR goes above and beyond the call of duty, replacing food that a guest spilled for free, or offering a free Park Hopper for some bad experience....they do have their moments of great generosity where it really isn't even necessary. They even refunded a few guests after a recent L.A. earthquake and that really was not the fault of DLR at all! But when it comes to things like complaints about hotels or bad restaurant service, food poisoning, etc., they seem to be much different! It is like the two faces of Disney!

"

We also appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts about
priority seating at the Blue Bayou Restaurant with us. As you know,
this service allows our Guests to be seated at the next available table
as close as possible to the requested time. In some cases, parties may
be seated almost immediately, while at other times, there may be a wait.
We apologize if our Cast Members did not clearly explain the process.
Please be assured we take your comments very seriously.
."

Umm was this in regards to you and Shawn checking in to the BB, then like 30 minutes later a texan couple came up and got seated almost immediately after that?

Look Disney, she freaking knows how it works, how about you teach your hostesses how it works?

I work in customer service and while I totally understand where this email was coming from from THEIR perspective, they really just hemmed and hawed a response. I expect way more from Disney.

Umm was this in regards to you and Shawn checking in to the BB, then like 30 minutes later a texan couple came up and got seated almost immediately after that?

Look Disney, she freaking knows how it works, how about you teach your hostesses how it works?

I work in customer service and while I totally understand where this email was coming from from THEIR perspective, they really just hemmed and hawed a response. I expect way more from Disney.

Really the only reference to BB that I made in my initial e-mail was about the crazy one-hour wait in the packed parlor and how they overbook their PS's for BB. And I said no one should have to wait an hour and that should stop booking so many people. I didn't even get into the whole Texas conspiracy!!:rotfl:

Mainly I focused on Carnation Cafe's bad service and that waitress' lack of interest in our service and, of course, the poopy water in the PPH. They ignored Carnation altogether and as you see, their reply to the PPH issue is lame. Sure, I SHOULD have complained while I was still there, but they COULD choose to compensate or credit anyone they want to who has gone home already. I am sure they get complaints from folks who are back home all the time. I think they just use that 'too bad you didn't speak up when you here' stuff to cop out of having to do anything!

They definitely hemmed and hawed and yada yada'ed all through the letter, and were kinda patronizing in parts, too!

Yeah, see that is exactly what I mean - it is something Mariott took the initiative on so you didn't have to look like you were just trying to get a freebie and they didn't go overboard and offer you a WHOLE refund but a good amount off the bill. That is good customer service! It is not like you said, "I don't like the shower curtain." You had a legitimate complaint worthy of some kind of reimbursement or compensation even if you didn't expect it, and they did their job and got right on it! I am sure many hotels would behave the same way, which is why DLR's behavior still baffles me. I suppose they just think they are Disney and so therefore, anything goes!! But then I hear other stories from people where DLR goes above and beyond the call of duty, replacing food that a guest spilled for free, or offering a free Park Hopper for some bad experience....they do have their moments of great generosity where it really isn't even necessary. They even refunded a few guests after a recent L.A. earthquake and that really was not the fault of DLR at all! But when it comes to things like complaints about hotels or bad restaurant service, food poisoning, etc., they seem to be much different! It is like the two faces of Disney!

Well exactly and unfortunately Disney knows for every customer they lose they have more to replace them. And they also know in their computers that you are a repeat customer and they know that no matter what you will be back.

OMG My eyeballs are KILLING ME! :eek:

How did I miss this??? I am so going to catch up.

SUBBING!!!

Well exactly and unfortunately Disney knows for every customer they lose they have more to replace them. And they also know in their computers that you are a repeat customer and they know that no matter what you will be back.

Yep! They have all the stats on me! They know I am a lifelong customer and that I will be back, poopy water and all! From what I hear, some of the GCH rooms have been substandard lately too , needing maintenance and touch-ups. For what they charge to stay in that hotel, they should REALLY keep those rooms spotless and freshly painted and looking sparkly at all times! (My GCH rooms have been okay in the past - not worth all that money, but clean and pleasant.) They should be bringing Mickey to the rooms to sing and dance for the guests! Because if it just the gorgeous lobby or cool restaurants in the GCH that one would want, ANYONE can enjoy those without the price tag attached! I think even the Mandara Spa is open to anyone and not just GCH guests. So that is highway robbery to charge those high prices and not maintain the rooms properly! I guess the hefty price tag is for the convenient location to the parks - and that IS a huge help. We have seen the difference in what we have accomplished from when we stayed at PPH and when we stayed at the handy GCH!

OMG My eyeballs are KILLING ME! :eek:

How did I miss this??? I am so going to catch up.

SUBBING!!!

Hope you are all caught up now and didn't go blind in the meantime! I should have a few pictures to insert in the TR very soon - probably within the next several days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter