Notes from the fun-derground ;-) - 8-15-21

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Yesterday was my birthday so I wore my DL bday button at the park today :-). I received about two dozen “Happy birthday” wishes from various park folk throughout the day. Usually it’s a lot more but crowds was remarkably light today.

Last Sunday crowds were surprisingly low and the wait time for Pirates at 2:00 was just four minutes. Today at 10:00 a.m. it was a walk-on. In short, crowds were even lighter today than they were last Sunday. I suspect that next Sunday will be much the same. However, once the new APs kick in on the 25th/26th, I anticipate that crowds will spike. I spoke with a number of CMs today who said the same.

Once again, I was the first person at the park gates after arriving at the security line near the DL Hotel at around 6:45. When we were welcomed into the park at around 7:30, there still weren't that many people. As you can see in the pic below, at a few minutes before 8:00, crowds at the rope were still relatively light.

We met a very nice family visiting from Seattle while we waited for the park to open. Their daughters wanted very much to be first on PP. I told them to stay close to me and, if I were first, I'd let them have my spot. Unfortunately, mere seconds before the park opened officially, there were a few false starts from our side of the rope/hub. We were called back once or twice but by that time, the other sides were allowed in and there were already a number of people well ahead of us. I ended up being tenth or so on the ride and the Seattle family was closer to 20th. I felt bad -- I really wanted to make the girls' day by being first on PP since they'd been to the park many times before but had never been first. Oh well. I tried my best and the false starts weren't my fault. It would have been a nice way to start the day, had we been able to manage it, though.

After FL, we moved to Tomorrowland and I broke 2M on my first round of Buzz. That was a great beginning. I went on to break 2M four times today, which is a new personal record. At one point I had the top score at about 2,086,000. That's hard to beat because, as I've often complained, once you exceed 2,096,000, you lose all of your points and start over from zero. But later in the day I beat that score by about 1,400 points.

I ran into a plaid CM I know but hadn't seen in about four months. That was nice and she seemed pleased to see me. I'll be back next Sunday and will see her again. Once the new APs ascend the Disney throne, I plan to visit nearly every Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

I'm very sleepy tonight so that's about it. If I can think of anything further, I'll add it tomorrow.

ETA: I’ve got park maps, if anyone would like some. Simply send me a DM with your mailing address.

Some pics:
9887A579-2282-4ABC-AE5D-695F5A47EDDF.jpeg576FD705-850C-4948-9B28-5A51C5D1DB6C.jpeg789BE97A-6928-4439-8410-EA10CF1CFBD6.jpeg021600F8-36E4-4DA0-96A9-C29022319C1F.jpeg5A872500-EC54-4C74-9E55-B06690CEE9A6.jpegAA565834-E894-450C-9612-495DDFED2541.jpegCBB352C2-638B-48A6-AB55-6D3409B2165A.jpeg45368585-F61E-466A-8EDB-BEB7E57B249B.jpeg4A567539-D6FF-48B8-A802-7CF82B77D4D9.jpegFB82B5BE-F0C9-4D22-B791-BB003A6921C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and photos. We will be there next weekend...hoping that the crowds will remain light!

Happy Belated Birthday.

It's nice to see the parks again through your pics.
It's going to be some time before I can make it down to the parks so will look forward to your weekly reports and pics.
Thank you for the park pics.

Happy unBirthday :bday: !

Love the empty pictures of Main St and the view from Dumbo's. Great picture of you and Sleeping Beauty Castle. Wow, great scores on Buzz.
That must be so frustrating when they do the false starts and then send you back.
Overall sounds like you had a great day. Thank you for the pictures and park report.

Last Sunday crowds were surprisingly low and the wait time for Pirates at 2:00 was just four minutes. Today at 10:00 a.m. it was a walk-on. In short, crowds were even lighter today than they were last Sunday. I suspect that next Sunday will be much the same. However, once the new APs kick in on the 25th/26th, I anticipate that crowds will spike. I spoke with a number of CMs today who said the same.

The crowds were light Saturday too. It was really nice. Longest we waited on Sat was for Splash at lunchtime and it was only about 25 min. After fireworks, we walked onto POTC and Indy. I've never been able to do that on Indy.

Happy Birthday! I can't believe how light they are sometimes right now. It was quite busy a couple weeks ago! I'm not visiting again until towards the end of September, which might be anyone's guess at that point! :P

Happy Birthday! We will be there Aug 25-29. I'm getting a little worried about how busy it might be. This is our first visit since 2019 and we're hoping to ride ROTR at least once while we're there.

Happy Birthday (better late than never)!!

There's nothing like being at DL for one's birthday!

I always have to shake my head at your Buzz scores. I've never managed to break 10,000. Sigh.

Yesterday was my birthday so I wore my DL bday button at the park today :-). I received about two dozen “Happy birthday” wishes from various park folk throughout the day. Usually it’s a lot more but crowds was remarkably light today.

Once again, I was the first person at the park gates after arriving at the security line near the DL Hotel at around 6:45. When we were welcomed into the park at around 7:30, there still weren't that many people. As you can see in the pic below, at a few minutes before 8:00, crowds at the rope were still relatively light.

We met a very nice family visiting from Seattle while we waited for the park to open. Their daughters wanted very much to be first on PP. I told them to stay close to me and, if I were first, I'd let them have my spot. Unfortunately, mere seconds before the park opened officially, there were a few false starts from our side of the rope/hub. We were called back once or twice but by that time, the other sides were allowed in and there were already a number of people well ahead of us. I ended up being tenth or so on the ride and the Seattle family was closer to 20th. I felt bad -- I really wanted to make the girls' day by being first on PP since they'd been to the park many times before but had never been first. Oh well. I tried my best and the false starts weren't my fault. It would have been a nice way to start the day, had we been able to manage it, though.

After FL, we moved to Tomorrowland and I broke 2M on my first round of Buzz. That was a great beginning. I went on to break 2M four times today, which is a new personal record. At one point I had the top score at about 2,086,000. That's hard to beat because, as I've often complained, once you exceed 2,096,000, you lose all of your points and start over from zero. But later in the day I beat that score by about 1,400 points.

I ran into a plaid CM I know but hadn't seen in about four months. That was nice and she seemed pleased to see me. I'll be back next Sunday and will see her again. Once the new APs ascend the Disney throne, I plan to visit nearly every Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

I'm very sleepy tonight so that's about it. If I can think of anything further, I'll add it tomorrow.

ETA: I’ve got park maps, if anyone would like some. Simply send me a DM with your mailing address.

Some pics:
View attachment 597488View attachment 597489View attachment 597490View attachment 597491View attachment 597492View attachment 597493View attachment 597494View attachment 597495View attachment 597496View attachment 597497
Nice pics!! Happy Birthday - Belated.. Happy Unbirthday which can be any day!! Wish I lived there be fun to go around the park with you and other Disboard regulars!! Enjoy Disneyland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter