Not sure I was issued DAS

We renewed a DAS last week at Disneyland and weren't even asked why we needed it. They just scanned my son's barcode and asked if it was all the same people and went "okay, you're all set."

So, I don't know. I have found the in park CMs to be uneven about this whole process lately. But, its trending towards requiring LESS info, not more.

Interesting that they did not ask questions. I need to renew tomorrow, so hoping it will be quick.

So I just got off another video call and they said I was NOT registered for DAS. So that first CM did not register for me DAS.

This 2nd CM was a bit hesitant on issuing me a DAS. I explained to them that I have a condition to which I need immediate restroom access and that lines of 30 minutes or more are a struggle for me. They said they don’t usually issue DAS pass for it, and they kept asking me if it was possible that my party could hold my place in line for me… I’m like “uhh NO” lol. But yeah she ended up issuing it. Took my picture and booked the advance selections.

That is strange. I have never had an issue getting one for similar bathroom issues.

Interesting that they did not ask questions. I need to renew tomorrow, so hoping it will be quick.

That is strange. I have never had an issue getting one for similar bathroom issues.

Disney may be moving away from DAS being the accommodation for it. Sort of like how they have definitively moved away from mobility related issues being DAS accommodated, and instead encourage mobility devices.

Disney may be moving away from DAS being the accommodation for it. Sort of like how they have definitively moved away from mobility related issues being DAS accommodated, and instead encourage mobility devices.
I think this might be the case. The CM who issued me DAS told me that DAS is constantly changing. She really kept trying to push the help of the attraction CMs for my condition… But it’s like what am I supposed to do in the middle of the queue for ROTR? There aren’t any CMs around… she also kinda kept asking the same questions repeatedly, so I think maybe she was waiting for me to give a response she was looking for to warrant issuing me DAS..

If they got rid of DAS for bathroom issues, many of us would not be able to go to the parks anymore. IDK what they think that we can do about it. Leaving the line is NOT a good alternative.

Exactly this. There are days I'm in the bathroom every 15 mins. The meds and therapies only offer little, inconsistent improvement. I do make sure I don't eat or drink things that I know will increase my bathroom visits. I've sat out of rides and left lines many, many times before finding out a DAS pass could help with that last year. Meeting back up with my family in lines was never an easy ordeal and people were hostile because it often looked as though I was trying to skip. I don't need a scooter and look like a healthy, thin 40 something women, so I can only guess what people were thinking when I left lines or tried to meet back up with family. Leaving with a scooter and trying to return to your family would be nearly impossible. Our trips have been so much less stressful since using the pass! I don't want to go back to missing out, and I know my family doesn't want me to continue to miss out, either. Another thing they could do if they want to get rid of this as a reason for DAS issuance, is put bathrooms in all the queues. The one in flight of passage definitely saved me when I tried to ride it without a pass!

I will be renewing next week for our trip in Dec. and I really hope they don't give me a hard time for a legitimate reason that is beyond my control. Without this pass, I can't access most rides/shows in the park and that will mean we will no longer be returning to Disney. I'd really hate to see that happen.

So I just got off another video call and they said I was NOT registered for DAS. So that first CM did not register for me DAS.

This 2nd CM was a bit hesitant on issuing me a DAS. I explained to them that I have a condition to which I need immediate restroom access and that lines of 30 minutes or more are a struggle for me. They said they don’t usually issue DAS pass for it, and they kept asking me if it was possible that my party could hold my place in line for me… I’m like “uhh NO” lol. But yeah she ended up issuing it. Took my picture and booked the advance selections.
Medical conditions that require immediate and constant access to the toilet needs to be a qualifying need for a DAS pass. Telling someone to travel with a companion without a disability is not acceptable in my book. Anybody, regardless of disability, should be able to be independent and be able to travel solo and still be accommodated. I can understand not approving it for people who cannot stand for long periods of time (can be resolved with a wheelchair or ECV) and can get return time for rides with inaccessible lines, but this does not do any good for people with medical conditions who need constant use of the toilet. Requiring people with disabilities to travel with an able bodied companion is unlawful discrimination.

Medical conditions that require immediate and constant access to the toilet needs to be a qualifying need for a DAS pass. Telling someone to travel with a companion without a disability is not acceptable in my book. Anybody, regardless of disability, should be able to be independent and be able to travel solo and still be accommodated. I can understand not approving it for people who cannot stand for long periods of time (can be resolved with a wheelchair or ECV) and can get return time for rides with inaccessible lines, but this does not do any good for people with medical conditions who need constant use of the toilet. Requiring people with disabilities to travel with an able bodied companion is unlawful discrimination.
So, if someone traveling alone with an ECV is unable to transfer from an ECV to the ride vehicle, that is unlawful discrimination?

It's not. The law requires reasonable accomodations that do not place undue hardship on the business. It would be considered undue hardship to require Disney to rebuild rides that existed prior to ADA in order to make them able to hold a wheelchair. It would also be undue hardship to require employees who are untrained in doing so to perform lifts for disabled patrons. It's also a massive liability issue for Disney on behalf of their employees and guests, which is why ADA does not require it.

Last edited:

Was at Disneyland this weekend and has no issues renewing my DAS in person for my bathroom issues. So if it fails on the call ahead, try in person. Although I had no issues getting it when I called in for my WDW trip getting it approved.

So much depends on what individual cast member you get. Which is why disabilities not covered by the DAS are such a headache. You have to explain your needs at every single attraction and whether or not the individual cast member there cares or believes you is a total roll of the dice.

Update:

I was able to renew my DAS for restroom issues with no problem at all. I answered the "What are your concerns with waiting in line?" question, same as every other time I've gotten the pass, and it was approved. We chatted a little about what Disney could do to lessen the need for passes for this reason, and how I used to be able to manage just fine with the Fastpass+ system, but cannot manage it now with Genie+ alone.

As an update for this,

Wifey and I will be going on our honeymoon to WDW next week and I just did the video chat for DAS and the lady literally stopped me in the middle of explaining my condition and issued me a DAS pass. No issues like last time with DLR

It seems WDW is more accommodating than DLR?

Or are all the video chat DAS CMs from the same pool and I just got lucky?

As an update for this,

Wifey and I will be going on our honeymoon to WDW next week and I just did the video chat for DAS and the lady literally stopped me in the middle of explaining my condition and issued me a DAS pass. No issues like last time with DLR

It seems WDW is more accommodating than DLR?

Or are all the video chat DAS CMs from the same pool and I just got lucky?
All I can say is I have heard a lot of anecdotal stories (not just here but across multiple forums) of people having much more trouble obtaining DAS at Land over World. I'm also talking trips that are literally just a couple months or even less apart.

My son called a few weeks ago and said that he said his dx and started to explain the bathroom issues he has but said the CM immediately said he didn’t need anymore and he qualified for DAS. This was for WDW.

We are so grateful that this is an option. This will be our first trip with his diagnosis/bathroom issues.

All I can say is I have heard a lot of anecdotal stories (not just here but across multiple forums) of people having much more trouble obtaining DAS at Land over World. I'm also talking trips that are literally just a couple months or even less apart.

I have never done the video chat for Disneyland but renew it in the parks every 60 days or so (local with pass), and never have had an issue getting it approved.

I have never done the video chat for Disneyland but renew it in the parks every 60 days or so (local with pass), and never have had an issue getting it approved.
The reports I've heard have all seemed to be the video chat (again all anecdotal and taking their words at face value). I have no idea about anything though!

So much depends on what individual cast member you get. Which is why disabilities not covered by the DAS are such a headache. You have to explain your needs at every single attraction and whether or not the individual cast member there cares or believes you is a total roll of the dice.
If a disability is such that it is not covered by DAS access, then yes it would differ how it was handle based on the attraction. Some have better accessibility than others. If we went back to the GAC stamps, it would cause the same issues GAC caused before.

If a disability is such that it is not covered by DAS access, then yes it would differ how it was handle based on the attraction. Some have better accessibility than others. If we went back to the GAC stamps, it would cause the same issues GAC caused before.
True, but that doesn't explain why it's handled differently by different CMs at the same attraction. Or the same type of attraction (e.g. The Hall of Presidents/The American Adventure).

True, but that doesn't explain why it's handled differently by different CMs at the same attraction. Or the same type of attraction (e.g. The Hall of Presidents/The American Adventure).
Hall of Presidents and American Adventure have different setups though, don't they? I haven't been in HoP for a long time, but AA has the stairs, long halls, etc. It's much bigger than HoP, holds its guests back in a different way, so handles non-DAS issues differently. Just the number of CMs assigned to an attraction can change how they handle access. One time we had to wait for a very long time at the exit of BTMRR because there was a VIP group ahead of us and it was huge - they had us wait a long time outside in the sun (I hugged a wall for shade) and we were about to give up and leave when the CM came from another direction and let us in. He had been through the whole attraction around back somehow, doing something else.

Hall of Presidents and American Adventure have different setups though, don't they? I haven't been in HoP for a long time, but AA has the stairs, long halls, etc. It's much bigger than HoP, holds its guests back in a different way, so handles non-DAS issues differently. Just the number of CMs assigned to an attraction can change how they handle access. One time we had to wait for a very long time at the exit of BTMRR because there was a VIP group ahead of us and it was huge - they had us wait a long time outside in the sun (I hugged a wall for shade) and we were about to give up and leave when the CM came from another direction and let us in. He had been through the whole attraction around back somehow, doing something else.
Hall of Presidents and American Adventure do have very different setups.

HOP is on ground floor and is flat for getting into the 700 seat theater. The back row has the wheelchair/ECV spots; the rest of the theater has a gently sloped floor all the way to the front row. Guests who need the accessible wheelchair/ECV spots need to enter in a certain door for the closest route. Sometimes, those guests and/or other guests who need assistance are taken in before the rest of the guests for that show; sometimes not. It probably depends on staffing and how many groups there are.

American Adventure has over 1,000 seats and the theater is entered at the second floor of the building. The theater is very steeply sloped front to back.
There is a small elevator to take guests using mobility devices to the second floor to enter the theater. Other guests use stairs or escalators to get up there.

Depending on the group, they’re maybe only room for one group each elevator trip, so it can take quite a while to send all the groups up the elevator. We’ve sometimes been told we can’t make the next show, either because there are already enough guests to fill all the wheelchair spots OR because there is not enough time left to get all the mobility device guests up in time. We’ve also occasionally shared the elevator with someone who could physically take the escalator, but doesn’t feel comfortable doing it.

At many shows over the years, we’ve heard guests argue that they need to use the ‘wheelchair entrance’ because they have visual disabilities. The CM tried to explain the ‘wheelchair seats’ are at the back, which the guests don’t usually listen to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter