• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not sure $149 Disney After Hrs event is doing well... (ETA: reviews in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was something about it on Yahoo when it was announced. I saw it here first but when I checked my email it was right there on Yahoo's homepage.

It's on the Disney website. I don't think someone needs to follow this board or Twitter accounts to see what choices Disney has for travelers.

Not being snarky...I just know a ton of people who go to WDW and don't follow any of these boards.

I was serious too. I wasn't sure. Everybody I know relies on me to give them info.

If everyone goes on My Disney Experience to log FP+, do you think advertisements for the extra evening hours is prominent?

I don't know that I've ever noticed anything like that.

If rn448698 didn't notice it onsite, I would imagine lots of others wouldn't either.

A 5th day free is not always offered, but is irrelevant because if more than 5 park days then no, this isn't a value.
4 days and under - yes to me that extra $330 between your 3 and 4 day costs would be worth it to me.. But again, that's me. I'll pay more IF I see value in something.
I see value in a monorail resort bc it makes my travel time to parks shorter and that convenience allows me to justify their stupid prices.
Spending extra for night hours, same thing I would do it because the value is there for me. We could do as much in that amount of time as it would take us an entire day to do. And the experience would be better with less people in the park.

I'm not trying to talk someone in to buying a ticket to this event. Just trying to throw some common sense out there.. No need to wish for something to fail. Especially if someone else can benefit from it.
I don't wish anything to fail but I can see it from that perspective. I miss a lot of what WDW used to be about, way too much now in fact. I think that all of this could lead to even more disappearing and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. But the trend has been there for a while and a person might hope this fails just because that might cause some of these changes to stop.

Who knows though. I still come here partially out of habit and because I will likely go to AK and DS during our next trip. Then we'll see.

I was serious too. I wasn't sure. Everybody I know relies on me to give them info.

If everyone goes on My Disney Experience to log FP+, do you think advertisements for the extra evening hours is prominent?

I don't know that I've ever noticed anything like that.

If rn448698 didn't notice it onsite, I would imagine lots of others wouldn't either.
image.png
This is from the MDE. If the pp is anything like me, then she scrolls and only clicks if something catches her eye.
I think it's what most of us do.

As all this is going on with MK, park closing earlier than normal (10pm), DAH, etc... what is exploding?? Disney Springs. This is GENIUS on Disney's part. Close MK earlier in the summer, where are people going to go for night time entertainment?? Disney springs. cha ching! Oh and gosh, MK is empty now, how can we make more money...? Disny After Hours. CHA CHING! This is not surprising really, this is genius. Brava Disney. I hope it doesn't bite you in the end. (or maybe I do...)

So that's it, no wait times for rides and attractions most people have done multiple times has this much value to people?

Your "attractions most people have done multiple times" comment does not apply to many vacationers. Many, many guests are not repeat visitors, or have only been once or a few times in their lives, so every visit, every hour in the MK is precious to them.

For a frequent visitor or a local, it's likely a waste of money, but for someone with one chance to have a great trip & who won't be soon returning (or ever returning), it's not an outrageous price to be guaranteed a crowdless night in an era when WDW is almost always crowded.

Your "attractions most people have done multiple times" comment does not apply to many vacationers. Many, many guests are not repeat visitors, or have only been once or a few times in their lives, so every visit, every hour in the MK is precious to them.

For a frequent visitor or a local, it's likely a waste of money, but for someone with one chance to have a great trip & who won't be soon returning (or ever returning), it's not an outrageous price to be guaranteed a crowdless night in an era when WDW is almost always crowded.

I think that for some folks, if something has o value to them, it has no value at all to anyone. We see this across the boards, especially when it comes to the DDP. And now additional magic hours. I think that in order to respect others values, it realy is important to respect that we all travel and vacation differently.

I was kind of surprised when I discussed these events with my DH, expecting him to tell me that the entire idea was a money grubbing Disney after more "dough". Nope. He was all over a Frozen early entry for the girls. I told him that if this ever came to pass when we had the girls with us I figured the rest of the group ould pass the hat if it meant they could let me take one for the team and take the Princesses to M&G A&E, belt out Let It Go for an hour, eat chocolate bread until they burst. He said he would pony up the whole thing! LOL!
SO I thought I would get anothe perspective from my 14 YO DGD, who is as cheap as they come. She said if they added Soarin she thought her Mom and Dad would get in too!

It is all about where discretionary funds go for evey family.

We didn't even receive promotional materials for this event in our ticket booths until Friday. And while it was in our computer system to sell, we weren't sure we were allowed to sell it for about a week after they put it in there. :confused3

I'm going this week - my line of business had a random drawing for people to receive comp tickets for the purpose of product knowledge. CMs were not comped for this event across the board. (For comparison, my entire line of business receives comps for MVMCP and MNSSHP.)

- There was a time there were no EMH.

Oh I remember those days. MK closed every night at maybe 7:00 and you were left to entertain yourself after that. This is why we spent so many nights in the CRT pool with the adults drinking monorails (red, pink, purple and yellow) and us kids having ice cream sundaes in the Concourse Grill around midnight. Fun times! It proved that you didn't need the park to be opened to have a great time. Of course, Disney could never do that now! Another fact is back then you could afford to stay in the Tower and I could never do that now!

Last edited:
Oh I remember those days. MK closed every night at maybe 7:00 and you were left to entertain yourself after that. This is why we spent so many nights in the CRT pool and having ice cream sundaes in Concourse Grill after midnight.

Yup. One year we had our evenings all planned to enjoy the pool etc ........... when we arrived due to an unusual mosquito uprising all pools closed at dusk. We were bored out of our minds!!! DTD wasn't much of anything if you couldn't enjoy Pleasure Island (darn those munchkins).

Hadn't thought of that. Possibly trying to calculate how to combat complaints about overcrowded parties? Test to see just how much someone will pay for "limited crowds" and see whether they could benefit from reducing #of party tickets if they raise prices enough. Not sure whether this test would give very good data, though, because of the lack of special features.

Yes, they do, and it often sucks for non party goers during those overlap hours. A risk we take traveling that time of year with lowish crowds and better weather.

I actually like going to the MK on party days. Early morning until 4 are great because so many people avoid the MK because of the 7 pm closure. Those have been some of our most enjoyable days at the MK in the recent past.

I actually like going to the MK on party days. Early morning until 4 are great because so many people avoid the MK because of the 7 pm closure. Those have been some of our most enjoyable days at the MK in the recent past.
I've actually planned all of our MK days, on our next trip, on party days. At 3 or 4pm, we will either head back to our resort or hop to another park. Or both.

We do too - considering the great October weather and in past years, some good deals. However, if I could get that weather and pricing and NOT have to worry about 7pm closes, I'd take it! Also, as you said - the park closes at 7 pm to regular guests, which is very early, and the good low crowd times are up until 4 pm, an entire 3 hours sooner than that. AND if you want a non-party day for MK, you're looking at some disproportionately large swings in crowds because all the non party goers want to see the night entertainment. You can work a good touring plan for those weeks, but it certainly takes some finesse.

I've actually planned all of our MK days, on our next trip, on party days. At 3 or 4pm, we will either head back to our resort or hop to another park. Or both.
I did too on our last trip, much to the confusion of my extended family doing WDW for the first time. They understood once we were there and doing it though!

We do too - considering the great October weather and in past years, some good deals. However, if I could get that weather and pricing and NOT have to worry about 7pm closes, I'd take it! Also, as you said - the park closes at 7 pm to regular guests, which is very early, and the good low crowd times are up until 4 pm, an entire 3 hours sooner than that. AND if you want a non-party day for MK, you're looking at some disproportionately large swings in crowds because all the non party goers want to see the night entertainment. You can work a good touring plan for those weeks, but it certainly takes some finesse.
These posts made me happy!! I've been considering our MK days on MVMCP. One day doing the party as well, and one leaving early and watching holiday wishes from our room.
On the full day we would prob just do MK in morning/early afternoon and then head back to resort for awhile before going to party.

I didn't see it as rooting against Disney, I see it as rooting against those who may see a benefit in it that the OP doesn't. That's what's not nice.

Maybe it's the latest step in Disney trying to accommodate some of the complaints about crowds, wait times, people saying they'd pay more for a later experience, gearing it towards off-site (and yes, them making money). Why is everything Disney does a potential threat to our holiday. As I said in another post, stop letting the 'what ifs' cloud everything and just enjoy being there. Roll with the changes (that are inevitable) and just enjoy being there.

Since I'm planning my next trip for May of 2017, this whole concept interest me. And this quote made sense to me.

I'm a NASCAR fan that attends a few races regularly. You can buy tickets for all price ranges. You can sit in the cheap seats and be happy to be there. Or you can pay a little more and sit in some primo seats that capsulate the experience. Or you can pay even more and sit high up and see everything. If you want to walk on pit road before the race, there is an extra ticket you can buy for that. If you want to be by the stage for driver introductions, you can pay a little more for that ticket. If you want to walk through the garage with all access, there is a ticket you can buy. You can buy whatever kind of experience you want if you it's worth it to you.

This post made sense in those terms. Disney is offering an experience. You don't have to buy it, but if walking around a near empty park, riding whatever you want with no waits, like Clark Griswold at Walley World, Disney now says you can. If you want your vacation to feel all inclusive, like you can order whatever you want off the menu with no worries, Disney says you can. If you want to be the first one in the park, to get to ride a few rides before the crowd, Disney says you can. But, like anything else, there is a price tag.

I hope this experience is still available May of 2017. I will reduce my park tickets by a day, sleep in, tour AK, then hit the After hours, then sleep in and spend a day at my resort the next day. I think a near empty park would be a cool experience.

These posts made me happy!! I've been considering our MK days on MVMCP. One day doing the party as well, and one leaving early and watching holiday wishes from our room.
On the full day we would prob just do MK in morning/early afternoon and then head back to resort for awhile before going to party.
Our trip is also during MVMCP, and we aren't attending.

We plan to go to BLT's Top of the World to watch Wishes. We've seen it up close, now we can watch it from far away.

I can't see hotel guests as the target audience. Most have length of stay, or at least multi day tickets in advance , or APs. Those people would unlikely pay for this.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter