Not making ADRS for FDDP-crazy?

Albertan mom

<font color=blue>I didn't mean too, innocent mista
I don't want to make any reservations for the free dining plan when we go Aug 23-Sep2. Is that crazy?

I am an overplanner, and for once just want to be able to 'fly by the seat of my pants'!!
I just want to go to whatever park whatever day and go back to the resort pool if we want at anytime, and not run our holiday by meal times. Am I just asking for trouble?

On that note, I know that we want to do MK the first day, so what one restaurant would be the best in MK for our table service meal?

Am I crazy??? :crazy:
Thanks!

You will be absolutely fine.....if you don't actually want to eat! ;)

Seriously, you will not get into a MK TS restaurant on the day of by walking up. Last year for free dining, I planned all of our dining days (planning no TS during the MK day) we changed our mind while we were there and tried to get something at any of the TS restaurants. None had availability and they told me that none were taking walk-ups.

On our MGM day, I had ressies for 50's PT, but we got tired and wanted to head back to the room. I figured I would call dining and try to get us something. I was offered 2-3 places (I was looking for a resort TS) that still had availability (they said maybe I could do a walk up, but don't plan on it). I took Spoodles at like 9:40pm.

On our first night we went to 'Ohana. We had a ressie, and still waited about 40min. While we were waiting they told people that they were not taking any walk ups.

Moral of the story...if you don't mind wasting your TS credits on CS meals, or taking undesirable time slots (4pm or 9:50pm for dinner) at the less desirable restaurants (of course this varies based on your tastes) then going without ressies will be ok. Otherwise, I would suggest you plan and make a ressie for every day. Even without free dining, I think Disney is becoming a place where you really have to make ressies to eat at the top choices!

I don't think this would be time to have a complete change of touring attitude. Wen things start to go wrong and you have no luck finding sit down restaurants, IMO, the overplanner in you is going to be VERY upset that you did not plan this trip appropriately. I would choose a less busy time to just hang loose.

We visited during the free dining time last year. Most of the restaurants were not taking walk ins due to being overbooked as it was. We had two dinners that we didn't have ADRs and called disney dining that morning. They couldn't find one restaurant outside the parks that would take walk ins. Depends on your tastes and what kind of restaurants you like, but I would make some ADRs just in case the restaurants are onverbooked again.

If you fly by the seat of your pants, you might be doing it hungry. I wouldn't risk it! On our last visit we heard plenty of angry vacationers on the DDP who also wanted flexibility. They were all complaining because they were on this dining plan, but all the restaurants had no openings for dinner. :sad2: I was glad I wasn't one of them.

As long as you don't mind where and when you eat....

We went last August and had ADR's. When we wanted to try to change some things around it was impossible. We couldn't get into WCC anytime between 5-9:30, Chef Mickeys was out when we tried to get a last minute ADR.

On the plus side our last day we decided to spend more time at MK and wanted to eat dinner there or at CM to maximize our time. CRT, CP and CM were booked. We ended up with a last minute dinner ressie for LTT and it turned out to be one of the more memoriable meals of the trip. It was relaxing and the characters were great.

We visted last year during feree dining, we were not on DDP and it was the middle of sept, whch appears to be the quietest time. I had made ADR's so we did not have any problems, but in some restrurants there were walk ups being turned away of havig to wait many hours. Boma we were not seated until 1 hour after the ADR time, and I think 'Ohana was turing away walk ups, same with Hollywood Brown Derby.

However, I did find that calling disney dining the day before, or earlier the same day for times we did not have ADR's was still quiet productuve.

You can make ADR's without overplanning, but if you don't you wil hate yourself for having to put up with whatever you can get.

Ok, I will think about it....
My MIL didn't want to have to commit to mealtimes either, but I will tell her that the Disboards advised that we do it!!

So we will be there thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday.

We want to do MK, AK, MGM, Epcot, BB, TL, and a day at the water/pools.

What days do you recommend we do each?
What ones should we do on the weekend? Avoid MK I assume?
What other one should we avoid on the weekend?

Thanks!

Can you also tell me your #1 choice at each park and why?

You will have made one of the best decisions of your trip if you decide to make ADR's. Otherwise, I'm afraid your "free dining" will go by the wayside. We were there last year during free dining and every day there was a sandwich board out at whatever park we were at saying that there was no more TS seating available for that day. It then went on to suggest CS places to eat at instead. If you don't make ADR's, then I can almost guarantee you won't eat at a TS restaurant.

Are you crazy? I would have to say no...because I know where you are coming from with wanting a laid back trip, but I was there last year during free dining and I think you are picking the wrong trip to 'fly by the seat of your pants'.

If you're usually an over planner, I recommend getting very busy and plan those days and ADRs soon. If not, you are very possibly not going to get in to places you wish to eat or spend way more time trying to get in. Most places last Sept. were just turning everyone without ADR's away. Do you really want to deal with that?

My best advice for planning your days is to join TGM for $18 and use his info. It's works wonderfully!

In MK....we love Crystal Palace and Liberty Tree for our TS! If you don't mind hopping over to a monorail resort you could try 'Ohana or Chef Mickey's which we also loved. :thumbsup2

Albertan mom said:
Ok, I will think about it....
My MIL didn't want to have to commit to mealtimes either, but I will tell her that the Disboards advised that we do it!!

So we will be there thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday.

We want to do MK, AK, MGM, Epcot, BB, TL, and a day at the water/pools.

What days do you recommend we do each?
What ones should we do on the weekend? Avoid MK I assume?
What other one should we avoid on the weekend?

Thanks!

Can you also tell me your #1 choice at each park and why?

I found a site that has recomendations for what park to visit on different days.

I hope this link works.
http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=14

We were there for free dining last year, and with the exception of the Yacht Club Galley at 8 pm one evening, all of the TS were turning away all walk ups.

I would make the ADRs. Even if you decide to change your plans last minute, you will have them just incase.

Ok, Ok!!
You all talked me into it, and I did it!!

One week of researching all 200 restaurants in WDW.
1.5 hours on the phone.
=
ADRs for:

Chef Mickeys
Donalds Breakfastasauraus
Cinderellas Castle Dinner
Maya Grill
Sci-Fi Drive In
Biergarten
Planet Hollywood
50s Primetime Cafe

:cool1:

I feel like we got a good variety of food, and got decent times, considering I was booking for 8 people.
Very excited to be done!!
:cheer2:

I know that it's a bother to have to decide where you will be on what day, but at WDW you have to or you'll be eating burgers or chicken wraps each meal. If that is the case you might as well skip the DDP.

would the non park TS reasturants be ok for walk ups or adrs a few days in advance orwill they be the same problem
Paulh

when I read your first post I thought Free Dining? You'll definately need to do ADR's but with 8 people!!! No matter when you go, you'd need to do ADR's. If it had been 2 of you at another time you *Might* have got away with it, but combine a group of 8 and FDDP you have done the right thing and your family will thank you for it, when you are in MK or Epcot and they have sandwich boards out stating that "there are no TS options available for that day but the following CS offerings are available".

Val
xx

I am just so excited! :yay:

I just took my kids through all our dining plan reservations and showed them the pictures and menus of each place we are eating.

I love the Laughing Place and All Ears sites. At the Laughing Place they show you pics of not only the restaurant, but the food too!

It was alot of work deciding each place, and all that, but it was also so much fun, I am so glad I did it!!! :cool1:

(now what can I plan for the next 3.5 monthes???! :teeth: )

Albertan mom said:
I am just so excited! :yay:

I just took my kids through all our dining plan reservations and showed them the pictures and menus of each place we are eating.

I love the Laughing Place and All Ears sites. At the Laughing Place they show you pics of not only the restaurant, but the food too!

It was alot of work deciding each place, and all that, but it was also so much fun, I am so glad I did it!!! :cool1:

(now what can I plan for the next 3.5 monthes???! :teeth: )

I can't find the pictures on the laughing place. Where are they?

If you go on here:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/dd.asp?step=1&locID=WDW

Just click on the restaurant. At the top of the page, it has different categories, like pictures, menus, reviews. Not all of them have pictures, but most of them do. Just click on the pictures to see!

You can also go to the WDW title on the top left, click on it, and it will seperate them into resort or lands. It makes it easier to see which restaurants are in which places.

I used this site to make all my ressies. Also fun to show the kids the pictures and menus! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter