NOT Including Disney, Where Have You Vacationed This Summer?

I went to Utah NPs: Capitol Reef, Bryce, and Escalante. Tomorrow, I'm heading up to the Grand Canyon. Next month, I'm boondocking in Sedona. And my significant other is hitting up Disneyland for Halloween with her friends. No Disney for me this year.

Thanks everybody - I appreciate it. I guess I should have clarified a little though. We're both fully-vaxed (I'm soon to have my third shot) and have no safety concerns. We don't think twice about wearing masks anymore, we're perfectly fine with it. I'm more interested in what you actually were able to do in these places (entertainment, activities, etc.) and if you felt you got a full and worthwhile experience. :wave2:

Thanks everybody - I appreciate it. I guess I should have clarified a little though. We're both fully-vaxed (I'm soon to have my third shot) and have no safety concerns. We don't think twice about wearing masks anymore, we're perfectly fine with it. I'm more interested in what you actually were able to do in these places (entertainment, activities, etc.) and if you felt you got a full and worthwhile experience. :wave2:

For us it was worth it given that our goals for our trips this summer were to be outside and relax at a resort. Plus it just felt good to get away after a year plus at home.

I went to Colonial Williamsburg over July 4th weekend. Although there weren't as many programs as in the past, there was still plenty to do and we had to skip some stuff because of time. We're heading back down in mid-October and CW has added back a lot more programming - a lot of it is outside.

In July, masks were only required on the shuttle buses. Now, it's required in all indoor locations.

Due to staffing shortages, they still haven't opened one of their hotels and two of the taverns are still closed as well. I stayed at the Williamsburg Inn (and will be again in October). Part of their protocols there is that, at this time, they're not doing turndown service (although the rooms are serviced by housekeeping daily).

I have been to Williamsburg, VA several times this year and will be going again in Oct and in Nov (Thanksgiving). I like it down there (I am in PA) and there are many timeshares to take advantage of. I usually stay at one of the Wyndham ones (there are three), but I will also be staying the the Holiday Inn Club Vacations location there. I enjoy Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and all the shopping and restaurants in the area.

Was it pretty much business as usual? Hotel pools open, attractions open, shows on, day trips and excursions available? We had a few days in Vancouver last week and found that a lot of the the touristy stuff didn't re-open for 2021 due to restrictions and gravely reduced crowds (no cruise ships in port this year which alone accounts for 900,000 fewer).

Mostly normal. Not all of the restaurants are open. Pool was good. Not all of the shows are open. We wanted to see Beatles Love but it wasn't open yet. Went to Mystere instead. Saw Aussie Bee Gees. Show was fun. Place was pretty crowded.

Nowhere. But when the pandemic allows it we will have saved enough money for a much nicer vacation than normal.

Not a cruise, not an AI, just a beach vacation in Delaware and Maryland.

Practically everything was open, but not quite normal. Some food places were take-out only due to labor shortages. And many stores reduced their hours for the same reason.

About 1/3 of establishments requested or suggested wearing masks, and we complied. Indoor entertainment was open.

Delaware State Parks required masks indoors regardless of vax status, but it was often violated and not enforced.

We had a great time. It felt almost back to normal.

I did notice the absence of Quebec visitors.

Not a cruise, not an AI, just a beach vacation in Delaware and Maryland.

Practically everything was open, but not quite normal. Some food places were take-out only due to labor shortages. And many stores reduced their hours for the same reason.

About 1/3 of establishments requested or suggested wearing masks, and we complied. Indoor entertainment was open.

Delaware State Parks required masks indoors regardless of vax status, but it was often violated and not enforced.

We had a great time. It felt almost back to normal.

I did notice the absence of Quebec visitors.
Yes, I seem to remember some mention of you taking a beach holiday. :rotfl:

Iceland in August, had to test neg within 72 hours of going and coming back. Vaccinated (we are) or isolate for 5 days. It’s mostly outdoor activities so we were able to do everything we wanted to. Wore masks if we went into shops, etc. but that’s it. Had a fantastic trip. Probably won’t travel internationally again until we won’t have to test, it just adds another level of anxiety I don’t want to deal with.

I have been to Williamsburg, VA several times this year and will be going again in Oct and in Nov (Thanksgiving). I like it down there (I am in PA) and there are many timeshares to take advantage of. I usually stay at one of the Wyndham ones (there are three), but I will also be staying the the Holiday Inn Club Vacations location there. I enjoy Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and all the shopping and restaurants in the area.
We stayed at the HICV over spring break and really enjoyed it! Williamsburg is amazing!!!

We go camping in our RV, which is probably the safest form of travel. You could not pay me to take a Disney vacation right now. WAY too dangerous with Covid. Plus, we love the great outdoors and took tons of hikes where we were the only people on the trail. We went to Colorado and loved it.

We went to Hawaii in mid June. All we had to do was test prior to arrival. Once we were there everything was normal and we did many activities and excursions. Masks were only indoors at that time, so that affected us very little.

July we hit several national parks, Arches, Zion, and the Grand Canyon. At that time there were no restriction that I am aware of although now masks are required indoors and outdoors when in crowds (not sure how the determine and enforce that…)

Next month we’re going to Disneyland and I’m anticipating having to wear masks indoors only.

All in all I feel like travel has been pretty much “normal” this summer. Even last summer honestly. We did a trip to the northeast last July (2020). Boston and Cape Cod/Martha’s Vineyard were mostly business as usual just had to have a mask handy for when you went indoors. NYC was definitely different with no shows open and no indoor dining. But we still walked all over the city and actually had a pretty good time sightseeing with absolutely no crowds. We took pictures in an empty Times Square.

Oh also we went to Colorado this May and everything was very normal there too. My kids went skiing and back in May anyway there was no indoor mask requirement and we could eat indoors at the ski dining place.

Cape Cod- mostly we did the beach, but we went to restaurants, mini golf, and a water park. Everything was open. Masks optional.

Iceland in August, had to test neg within 72 hours of going and coming back. Vaccinated (we are) or isolate for 5 days. It’s mostly outdoor activities so we were able to do everything we wanted to. Wore masks if we went into shops, etc. but that’s it. Had a fantastic trip. Probably won’t travel internationally again until we won’t have to test, it just adds another level of anxiety I don’t want to deal with.

Was being only an English speaker ever a problem? Aka - are menus in English, museum info in English, etc? I know it's a 2nd language, but kinda an "everyone learns it" one, but I don't know what that means in practice...

Hilton Head Island twice - once to Disney HHIR and then again to a non Disney resort for a week, a cabin in W. VA for a few days and then traveled on down to Va. Beach to finish out the week.

1 week in Cape Cod, no mask requirement at that time

Aruba - covid test before and after plus mandatory covid insurance - added an extra $1k to trip for 5 of us.

Our final destination was Outer Banks (Duck this year, we alternate between there and Corolla) but on the way down we did stops in Gettysburg PA, Baltimore MD (to stay with my parents), and Williamsburg VA. Business as usual everywhere except OBX did seem to have some staffing issues so many restaurants and stores were only open for half the week or had limited hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter