Not impressed with rfc at all!!

Funball

DIS Veteran
Last night I ventured over to Downtown Disney to catch a bite to eat at RFC. As soon as I got there new that I would be sitting at the bar area as they had a check in line for tables at least 30 min or longer not counting the time it took to just get the table! So I walked straight in sat at the bar area, had the zebra chair, unfortunately the seat I picked was not cleaned up yet. Beer bottles from the lasts customers were still sitting at the space I at. :sad2: :eek:

And it took the bartender at least 10 min or so to figure out that those bottles were not mine! So I got my menu looked it over ordered my food, I had a melted (probably Velveeta) and chips appetizer, it was ok-it was not the greatest though. I asked for my bill, and as I was about to give the bartender my AP for a discount, he said “oh we do not take Disneyland annual pass’s after 4 pm”. So I just paid for my meal, i didn't feel the 9 dollars it cost me was worth that appetizer..but oh well :sad2:

I have to say that RFC has the worst service, and the food is so-so.. And to not give the AP discount that is just insane. So a warning to the rest of the board, after 4 pm they do not take AP for discount on food..

:sad2: :scared1: :eek: :snooty:

The last time we visited our local Rainforest Cafe was a couple of years ago or so. And the food was HORRIBLE. Seriously, it looked and tasted like Chef-Boyardee straight out of the can. That was one of my most disappointing meals ever, especially considering the cost. Yes, the atmosphere is very unique and fun - but all of the food was terrible. We had an appetizer and a couple of entrees, and everything was uniformly BAD.

We will not visit a Rainforest Cafe again. From what I remember of their early years, the food was good, or at least decent.

I have to say that RFC has the worst service, and the food is so-so..

:sad2: :scared1: :eek: :snooty:

I agree with you 100%.

The only meal that I find "ok" to do at this point is breakfast, and we only go if the boys really really want to go.

And it doesn't even smell like a real rainforest!! :lmao:

That's a bummer you had such a bad experience! :sad1: We eat there every trip and have had pretty good luck. The food hasn't been fantastic for us, but not horrible either. We have been lucky with pretty good service too. The only somewhat bad experience we had there was when the hostess tried to seat us (a party of 6) at a table that was big enough for about 4 people. But she did move us when we asked.

Hmm. We've had good service and good food at all RFCs we've been to, including DTD.

Never tried to use the AP b/c we always had different discounts to use, and we got the Safari card on our first trip, so we have the priority seating unless it's beyond a madhouse...

Oh wait, I despise their veggie burger, it's really funky. But the other food I've had there (made without meat) has been delish!

I agree with you 100%.

The only meal that I find "ok" to do at this point is breakfast, and we only go if the boys really really want to go.

And it doesn't even smell like a real rainforest!! :lmao:

The last time we visited our local Rainforest Cafe was a couple of years ago or so. And the food was HORRIBLE. Seriously, it looked and tasted like Chef-Boyardee straight out of the can. That was one of my most disappointing meals ever, especially considering the cost. Yes, the atmosphere is very unique and fun - but all of the food was terrible. We had an appetizer and a couple of entrees, and everything was uniformly BAD.

We will not visit a Rainforest Cafe again. From what I remember of their early years, the food was good, or at least decent.

..and to not take the AP for discount?? I’m sorry does Disneyland know about this?? Because I see it like this, if you are a restaurant like RFC an paying rent to be on Disneyland property I would think you would honor the AP’s….the after 4pm thing is ridiculous—and they do not have happy hour.:scared1:

Unique environment, bad food and service—I am not going back, I thought that after reading all the bad reports it be different this time—not so!! RFC makes jack in the box look great!! AT least they have great service and the food is good!

..and to not take the AP for discount?? I’m sorry does Disneyland know about this??

They do know about this - when we got our DAP's on our first day we were given a small brochure/leaflet with our passes and it does say that inside the leaflet.

We went at lunchtime because we knew this advance on our last day. Service and food were OK - until we came to pay. We had used US$ travellers checks all over the place during our stay and often (but not always) had asked to see photo ID (bearing in mind they had already seen my DAP with photo)- not a problem - I always carried my drivers licence (UK). On this occasion, we were told that they did not accept overseas drivers licences (we don't carry passports to the park for fear of losing them - never have) - the server brought out the manager and people were looking at us as though we were trying to dodge paying our check! In the end I said I had my credit card (luckily) - the server never asked me - I assumed I would never photo ID for that as well - they accepted that - thanks a lot! Never again!!!! I don't know what would have happened if I hadnt got my credit card - washing the pots probably or kept DD captive while I went back to the HoJo's for our passports!.

so i just read the AP discount page on my pass.... i did not see this before, it says that RFC does not take the APs after 4pm.....still that is ridiculous

We went at lunchtime because we knew this advance on our last day. Service and food were OK - until we came to pay. We had used US$ travellers checks all over the place during our stay and often (but not always) had asked to see photo ID (bearing in mind they had already seen my DAP with photo)- not a problem - I always carried my drivers licence (UK). On this occasion, we were told that they did not accept overseas drivers licences (we don't carry passports to the park for fear of losing them - never have) - the server brought out the manager and people were looking at us as though we were trying to dodge paying our check! In the end I said I had my credit card (luckily) - the server never asked me - I assumed I would never photo ID for that as well - they accepted that - thanks a lot! Never again!!!! I don't know what would have happened if I hadnt got my credit card - washing the pots probably or kept DD captive while I went back to the HoJo's for our passports!.

This is horrible because I think Travelers Cheques require that an ID not be requested. For all I know about them I'm not sure about this. But they are verified by matching your two signatures. I would be willing to bet that they were wrong to do this and sorry you had this encounter.

so i just read the AP discount page on my pass.... i did not see this before, it says that RFC does not take the APs after 4pm.....still that is ridiculous

No offense Funball but you are the reason they can get away with this. When they have a 30 minute wait at 4pm they don't need to give APs a discount to fill the seats.

However I agree if a perk of the pass is a dining discount it should be a blanket policy for all of DLR. It follows the KISS principle that every marketing department should know and use.

The last time we were there the food was good(the steak was excellent) and the service was spot on. Considering it was mid August and the wait list was up to 90 minutes, I thought we were doing well.

Jack

We have reservations for next week and I am now starting to think we should cancel. Never been before but if the food is not all the great maybe we should find somewhere else to go.

Ive never cared for the cafe. their food is terrible! the only cool thing is the atmosphere!

We have reservations for next week and I am now starting to think we should cancel. Never been before but if the food is not all the great maybe we should find somewhere else to go.

Maybe you should keep it. Food being good or bad is only an opinion. I have been over the last ten years a few times and never thought the food was worth the money.

But the atmosphere is a lot of fun, and if you have kids with you not to be passed up.

I visit this RFC for the first time in May, I thought it would be a nice mom / son dinner for us. It wasn't crowded when we arrived and we were taken to our table within 5 min. My son, who was 3 at the time instantly loved the fish tanks. THey took us to a table for 2, who would make a 3 yr. old sit across from the mom????

THe food was way overpriced, I ended up ordering a app as my dinner and it was gross... my sons food (hotdogs), well you can't really mess that up...

I would also warn parents, even though we frequent zoo's and other animal parks at least twice a month, my son was very alerted by the moving animals. They don't really do "nice movements" and they are rather intimidating.

I asked him again just a couple days ago if world like to go again and his response was no, he didn't like that place.

So we won't be going, and probably not anytime soon.

THe service was fine, I can't complain, but it was deffinatly a drawn out experiance.

Ive never cared for the cafe. their food is terrible! the only cool thing is the atmosphere!

I would not cancel. You are going to see + and - opinions on everyplace you can think of. Most kids get a kick out of the fishtank, thunder and lightening show and the Gorilla. They also have an extensive menu.

Jack

As Kevin says, reviews are only a snapshot in time of one table's experience.

Having said that, our experience in WDW at RFC left us promising to never go back. Food was not good, service was mediocre at best and worst of all, since we really went for the experience, DS7 was totally freaked out by the gorilla above our table. The night was our worst dining experience of our 11 day trip.

I always think you should try places for yourself to make a judgement. My suggestion, for those who are going, is to order carefully and do not expect the kind of service you are used to at most Disney property restaurants.

We don't have an RFC near us, so we only go when we are in DL. We always make a ressie (and we eat there at lunch, which I presume is quieter.) And we always have fantastic service & good food. DH and I love their chicken lettuce wraps & pizza!

A service example for you... we had requested seating by an animal--were told it wasn't a guarantee--and then when they started to seat us really far from the animals dd (4 y.o. at the time) started to cry (more sniffly then full blown tantrum) and the server quickly moved us closer to an animal. It was very sweet of her--and doable since it wasn't packed. We would have been willing to wait for a table near the animals if need be.

RFC is worth it if you order the salads or the burgers, IMHO. Anything else and you're taking a risk. But we've been really satisfied with the burgers there, 10x better than the burgers in the parks.

Tracy

Don't cancel, go and make your opinion from what you chose to eat and what you experience. :)

RFC is worth it if you order the salads or the burgers, IMHO. Anything else and you're taking a risk. But we've been really satisfied with the burgers there, 10x better than the burgers in the parks.

Tracy

Nope, disagree 100% with this one.

We've been going to RFC in DTD since DD10 was 6, it's their favorite place to eat, in fact when we did her 8th bday at DL we asked where she wanted to eat and she chose RFC so that's where we went. :) We joined the Safari Club in '07 when we got AP's, we knew we would use it and I can earn free gift cards thru a rewards site I participate in, so we get the free appetizer when we go in and then DBF and I share a meal, normally we share the Maya Combo, it's ribs, chicken and coconut shrimp, I get the chicken, DBF gets the shrimp and we share the ribs, it's more then enough food and we love it. :) The girls love it too, there's always something good to eat for us at RFC. :) We have had a rude server a time or two but we just tip less at that point, we tip based on service so all they are doing is hurting themselves at that point. Also with the Safari Club, we get priority seating above those who just walk in, so we flash our card and our wait goes from an hour to 30 min and we are usually at our table in about 15-20 min. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter