Not Gonna Lie......not the best week

Thanksgiving is SO BUSY..:scared1: If you can go other times of the year, WDW is much more manageable and enjoyable. Just my preference, hate packed crowds!:scared1: Sounds like the WL holiday decorations are awesome.:cheer2: Haven't seen the Lodge at XMAS, looking forward to popping over there on our upcoming Universal trip!:santa:

Disney has evolved with time.
The average person wants full control of their experience which takes customer service out of the equation.
Just like self check out at the grocery store or mobile ordering from a restaurant.
My guess is the CM's were not "annoyed" but rather surprised with the amount of interaction you wanted coupled with the fact that CM's these days aren't given half the info you seek.
If this new age of Disney giving the guests full control is not your thing then yes you may want to choose another destination to try.

Out of curiosity what is automatic airline check in?
Haven't heard of this feature at Disney.
I have only heard about EBCI for Southwest Airlines which I don't purchase because its just not worth the price.
Automatic check in is offered at Wilderness Lodge and some others. They actually check you in and print boarding passes which you can use if you wish. If you,re checking luggage they also have those tags ready for you. The morning of your flight they are in an envelope with your Magical Express information. Whether this is done through Disney or ME - I’m not certain. When I asked the CM at the lobby desk about this a couple days ahead of our departure she told me WL doesn’t participate in this service. Wrong. They do and our boarding passes and luggage tags were hanging on our door on departure day.

I was there last week and noticed a few differences from previous visits, mostly with service from CMs and cleanliness of the parks. I, for the first time, was shocked at the state of the restrooms in Magic Kingdom as well as the behavior of a few CMs in the park. I saw more than one CM on their phone, which was a first. I'm going to chalk it up to being there during a very busy week and hope for better next year.

OP; My first trip was in the 70's and no way does customer service now even comes close to back then, but that is just how it is. BUT, I still expect CM's to do their best to help a customer and if they cannot, then find someone who can. I believe it's mainly due to all the staff cutbacks that WDW has been doing. I do not accept what a PP mentioned that the CM was "surprised with the amount of interaction" What??:confused3 that's their job!

OP; My first trip was in the 70's and no way does customer service now even comes close to back then, but that is just how it is. BUT, I still expect CM's to do their best to help a customer and if they cannot, then find someone who can. I believe it's mainly due to all the staff cutbacks that WDW has been doing. I do not accept what a PP mentioned that the CM was "surprised with the amount of interaction" What??:confused3 that's their job!
I agree with all points here.

I was there last week and noticed a few differences from previous visits, mostly with service from CMs and cleanliness of the parks. I, for the first time, was shocked at the state of the restrooms in Magic Kingdom as well as the behavior of a few CMs in the park. I saw more than one CM on their phone, which was a first. I'm going to chalk it up to being there during a very busy week and hope for better next year.
Restrooms were dirty all over the parks. CM,s spent more time visiting with each other than interacting with and helping guests. It is a busy week but I’m not sure that is a legitimate excuse.

We have been to WDW many times since the late 80’s andhave stayed at several resorts. We’ve also done Disney Cruises. Never have I come home feeling quite so disappointed. It’s definately a different place than it used to be. There were positives about this trip, too, such as the outdoor bar/grill at WL, the Territory Lounge at WL (very good service there), beautiful Christmas decorations at the parks, and WL, he beautiful lobby at GF, and more. I still love Disney but will stay away for awhile and hopefully get the magic back.

Three years ago. Summer visit; stayed at WL.
Gotcha.

So what type of planning did you do back then if you don't mind me asking? To my understanding both FP booked at 60 days was that way back then and ADRs booked starting at 180 days was that way back then.

We didn't do TS in previous trips so I wanted to try it for my 2017 trip so I booked a total of 3 ADRs for 5 park days. We didn't have prebooking of FPs prior to my 2017 trip as my last trip before that was in 2011. Both of those things were quite new to me because I had had a good length in time in between trips.

Yes, disney is expensive for sure. But if thats part of the problem, have you thought about staying at a moderate level resort? They're quite nice! :)

When you have a not so magical CM, it can put a damper on things for sure. Sorry you were left underwhelmed this trip. And i agree that thanksgiving is a really crowded time to go. It would be more enjoyable if you can find a quieter time. Wait, there's no such thing in disney anymore. :lmao: Never mind!

M husband and I booked a six day trip to WDW for Thanksgiving week. We really looked forward to the trip and escape from our cold winter temps in our part of the country. We were booked at Wilderness Lodge; our second time to stay there. Overall impression - the lobby is drop dead gorgeous; especially his time of year. I’ve always loved the lobby here. Our room was fine. Second floor, nature view. But, the room was tired looking and dimly lit. But all in all, it was ok. As we were processing our trip tonight, we both agree we won’t be going back to WDW any time soon. It it is just too expensive for what you get. The CMs at WL were, for the most part, disinterested in serving their guests. Two separate CMs appeared almost annoyed when I asked for information on a couple of occasions. One gave me totally inaccurate information about automatic airline checkin. Disney now seems content to let the guest do most of the work; from booking Fast Passes and dining reservations to online room check in. Maybe it is just me, but I liked it when CMs actually made you feel like a valued guest. Now days the guest seems to be an annoyance to them. Nothing seemed magcal or special about this trip - unlike previous trips. The prices are high and service is on the decline. A reflection on the overall service industry, I fear.
We just got back too. We had a wonderful time, but WL was the worst part. We were at Poly the whole trip but had such a great time that we wanted to add a night. Poly was booked so we booked the one night at WL. It was awful! The lobby was beautiful, but that’s it. I completely agree about the room & ours was also filthy including poop left on the toilet seat that wasn’t ours! I had always wanted to stay there & it was one we had never done. But, it’s off the list now. I’m just just glad we figured that out before we booked a long stay there. Might have been a fluke, but it’s a chance we won’t take now. Transportation there was also absurd & our nature view just resulted in hearing boats all hours of the night & early morning. We will most likely go back that same time next yr b/c despite the crowds are trip was wonderful, but it won’t be at WL for sure.

ETA: We were there with friends, but only had a few FPs & ADRs with them. They were part of a large group of 10 or more. That’s when we had issues when we were part of that large group. The Plaza took over an hour to seat us with ADRs AND then another 1.5 hours to eat. Wasted almost 3 hours eating! We had a similar experience with our large family group in Feb. I think that is part of the issue now. The changes have made a lot of experiences not condusive to large groups, but then they advertise themselves as the family experience so more & more large groups are going together. It was much easier & more pleasant for DH, DS & I to do everything we wanted.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest here I'm still not grasping the automatic airline check in.
Never heard of it and cannot find any info on it at all.
I know what RAC resort airline check in is and a few times that I was taking a late flight and had already checked myself in on SWA I did receive my boarding passes and luggage tags the morning of check out when they still gave room charges out on check out day.
I assumed it was due to my flight being much later than RAC closed and they were not sure if I was going to bring my luggage down to them but I always did.
Otherwise I've always received my boarding pass and luggage tag when I've gone down to RAC to check my luggage.

Also the complaints of OP keep racking up every time a new poster mentions their experience.

Funny how a post by the OP a couple months ago says how easy ADR's and FP+ were and they got what they wanted when they wanted and it only took 20 minutes and only now they are complaining about all the "work up front".

A PP mentioned going in the 70's and now and not agreeing with my statement about CM's being surprised with how much interaction someone wants because its their job.
To that I say the CM's roles have changed a lot between the 70's and today.
My parents have been going since the 70's as well and they have easily adapted to the new age of Disney.
So clearly some people can and some people cannot.

The only thing I disagree with in the OP’s first post this is indicative of the overall service industry. We have had good service at our favorite hotels in manhattan. Smaller hotels, more boutique types, but we are able to book at times now that we are semi retired when the prices are on a par with Disney moderates.

Gotcha.

So what type of planning did you do back then if you don't mind me asking? To my understanding both FP booked at 60 days was that way back then and ADRs booked starting at 180 days was that way back then.

Yes this is what I'd like to know as well because 3 years ago ADR's and FP+ worked the same way yet OP isn't complaining about the up front work back then. They are saying that trip was great compared to this one and the thing they are so unhappy with about this trip was the planning.
I could see if their last trip was prior to FP+ and prior to making ADR's on the website vs calling (which you can still do)

We just got back too. We had a wonderful time, but WL was the worst part. We were at Poly the whole trip but had such a great time that we wanted to add a night. Poly was booked so we booked the one night at WL. It was awful! The lobby was beautiful, but that’s it. I completely agree about the room & ours was also filthy including poop left on the toilet seat that wasn’t ours! I had always wanted to stay there & it was one we had never done. But, it’s off the list now. I’m just just glad we figured that out before we booked a long stay there. Might have been a fluke, but it’s a chance we won’t take now. Transportation there was also absurd & our nature view just resulted in hearing boats all hours of the night & early morning. We will most likely go back that same time next yr b/c despite the crowds are trip was wonderful, but it won’t be at WL for sure.

ETA: We were there with friends, but only had a few FPs & ADRs with them. They were part of a large group of 10 or more. That’s when we had issues when we were part of that large group. The Plaza took over an hour to seat us with ADRs AND then another 1.5 hours to eat. Wasted almost 3 hours eating! We had a similar experience with our large family group in Feb. I think that is part of the issue now. The changes have made a lot of experiences not condusive to large groups, but then they advertise themselves as the family experience so more & more large groups are going together. It was much easier & more pleasant for DH, DS & I to do everything we wanted.

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your experience at Wilderness Lodge! I hope you reported the bathroom issue, that is unacceptable - ugh. We've always loved WL & I hope they get their act together with the rooms. Nobody staying at that resort should experience a filthy room.

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your experience at Wilderness Lodge! I hope you reported the bathroom issue, that is unacceptable - ugh. We've always loved WL & I hope they get their act together with the rooms. Nobody staying at that resort should experience a filthy room.
We actually ended up with a 50% discount so they did make it better, but it’s enough that it turned us off.

The only thing I disagree with in the OP’s first post this is indicative of the overall service industry. We have had good service at our favorite hotels in manhattan. Smaller hotels, more boutique types, but we are able to book at times now that we are semi retired when the prices are on a par with Disney moderates.

I agree with you about the overall service industry. I think you've posted before that you're from NOLA. Perfect example! Soooo many tourists! And we've had some of the best customer service experiences within that city. Particularly the lovely, old hotels and the restaurants. Definitely our favorite food destination!!!

I’m refering to all of the time spent upfront arranging dining, fast passes, etc. it didn’t used to take quite so much planning ahead of time.

IMO, I don't think this can be held against Disney as a negative. The planning aspect is entirely optional and is an option given to guests who want to take advantage of it. No one *has* to pre-book FPs and dining reservations to have a great trip. Will it enhance the experience? Sure. But I bet a good number of people on any given day are inside the parks and know nothing about FPs or advanced dining reservations, and they're still having fun. If you're choosing to take advantage of the pre-booking options, that shouldn't be held as a knock against Disney.

M husband and I booked a six day trip to WDW for Thanksgiving week. We really looked forward to the trip and escape from our cold winter temps in our part of the country. We were booked at Wilderness Lodge; our second time to stay there. Overall impression - the lobby is drop dead gorgeous; especially his time of year. I’ve always loved the lobby here. Our room was fine. Second floor, nature view. But, the room was tired looking and dimly lit. But all in all, it was ok. As we were processing our trip tonight, we both agree we won’t be going back to WDW any time soon. It it is just too expensive for what you get. The CMs at WL were, for the most part, disinterested in serving their guests. Two separate CMs appeared almost annoyed when I asked for information on a couple of occasions. One gave me totally inaccurate information about automatic airline checkin. Disney now seems content to let the guest do most of the work; from booking Fast Passes and dining reservations to online room check in. Maybe it is just me, but I liked it when CMs actually made you feel like a valued guest. Now days the guest seems to be an annoyance to them. Nothing seemed magcal or special about this trip - unlike previous trips. The prices are high and service is on the decline. A reflection on the overall service industry, I fear.
OP I am sorry you did not enjoy your week. As stated it was a very crowded week to go. You did not enjoy it and none of us can argue with that.
That said I do not agree with your planning issues. Things are not so different than 3 years ago. We have been visiting Disney since the early 80's and other than Club Level, CM's have NEVER booked meals are gotten FP's for guests.
I enjoy the planning. I love researching and booking ADR's FP+ makes our days easier than before. It is a big part of the fun.
Since you found it so burdensome, I agree that Disney is not the vacation for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter