• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not a cooler question but a suitcase question for drinks

December99

<font color=orange>WDW Antenna Topper Queen</font>
Has anyone ever packed their drinks (like a case of soda in the case) in a suitcase and have you had any problems doing this? I don't want to go out and have to buy a softsided cooler just to save some money and brink my own soda (I'm a Pepsi drinker and not very fond of Coke products) but I'd like to take a roller suitcase and then at the end of the cruise I'll have it for souveniers. I've seen people talk about this for water but wondered if anyone had any problems doing soda.

Thanks

no problem -- we put a rolling suitcase of soda/beer through security and rolled it onto the ship without any issues.

Not a case of soda but we do pack 2 cases of DH's favorite beer in cans in our suitcases. So far we have done it on 4 cruises with no problems. We also pack a soft sided cooler( holds 24 cans and folds up to almost nothing) to place the beer in once aboard the ship. DH and the Room-host keep it iced down for a good chilly one when he wants it.

When we pack the suitcases he leaves the beer packed in it's 12 pk. packageing then he places the pack into a 2 gallon Ziploc freezer bag zips it then puts it into another with that ones zipper on the other side of the first one. Hope that makes sense. Packing it in the mid of the suitcase surrounding top, bottom and sides with his shorts, tee-shirts, sock and underwear. He really protects that gold liquid. LOL Only had a few cans dented, still drinkable, so far. He checks all the bags in at the port this stuff does not get carried on.

Are you taking these thru the Airport secuirty also? I was thinking of doing this but was wondering about airport security. As we have the Disney transfers in our package they will not be able to make a store stop.

No, not going through airport security. We are driving. Sorry but wanted to bump this up in case someone can answer your question for you. Thanks for the answers guys!

We have actually packed beer in our suitcase and checked it through airport security with no problem. It did have to be checked, not carried on.

Please if packing liquids (soda/water/beer) make sure you hand carry it onto the ship in a carry-on bag.

If you check it with the porters, even if packed well, it may burst. The suitcases are stacked in large palate like cages and loaded onto the ship and if your suitcase is in the middle and the soda bursts open, not only will it get your clothes wet, it may get other guests suitcases and/or clothes wet. Typically the porters will ask if you have any liquids packed and ask you to remove them.

This is just speaking from experience as I had a wet suitcase from someones soda that they had packed.

:mad:

I just received my Fall 2003 Cabela's catalog in the mail yesterday. They have a suitcase in there that has a huge zip-close bottom that you can buy a $29 insert for that is a cooler! That makes the entire bottom of the suitcase a 24"x36"x6" (approximate size - can't remember the exact dimensions) deep waterproof cooler! It was made for keeping frozen fish in after an Alaska fishing trip & transporting them back home. Just might have to look into buying one for my cruise.....

Book says that it is a waterproof enclosure (with the exception of the zipper closure). Might be worth looking into.

:smooth:

We have packed beer/cokes in a rolling suitcase and brought it on board as carry on luggage in the past, this year however, we are going to pack those in a soft sided cooler to keep from bringing the extra suitcase......Andy

Are Disney cruises different than other cruise lines?
I can't remember who my sister cruised with, but she said that you could not sneek beverages on board. I assumed they searched bags because she said there was no way you'd get by with it, unless you slipped liquor into a mouthwash bottle or something.
She also said that liquor and beer she bought at port calls was confiscated and given back to her at the end of the cruise.
Just wondering...
Since I have never cruised, do you save a lot of $$$ bringing your own soda and beer? How do you keep it cool for the trip (ice machines??)

Originally posted by IowaGirl

She also said that liquor and beer she bought at port calls was confiscated and given back to her at the end of the cruise.
Just wondering...
Since I have never cruised, do you save a lot of $$$ bringing your own soda and beer? How do you keep it cool for the trip (ice machines??)

You can bring your own beer and soda on board either in a soft sided cooler or suitcase, it's alot cheaper than the $4 (about) per beer and $2.75 for each can of soda, then factor the 15% gratuity that you also pay. As far as the liquor goes, we have bought liquor in the ports before and have never had to give it up until the end of the cruise, however, if you purchase liquor onboard, then they will hold it until the last night of the cruise at which time they will deliver it to your room. There are mini chillers in the cabin that will keep your already chilled drinks cold, but, it is not a refridgerator so warm drinks will not get cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter