• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nose in or nose out?

I never back in unless the parking venue instructs it. I'm able, just don't see the point of bothering. If I can back into the spot safely, I can certainly back out if it instead, which it's time to leave. I will occasionally pull-through if there's nothing in front of my spot but I don't go out of my way to find those.

Is pull-through where you are pulling into a parking spot and spot in the opposing aisle in front of you is not occupied, so as to pull forward onto the opposing aisle when leaving? If so, and you pull into that pull-through spot (actually never heard that term before) and when you return to your car to leave and that opposing aisle spot in front of you is occupied, now what? Do you back out?
You’re in the next aisle nose out, so you just continue driving forward to leave.

I park nose-in most everywhere, especially at home.
Nose in, but will pull through if the space in front of me is empty.
That's what I do at the supermarket. Nose-in until I'm nose-out. I never park behind an occupied spot, forcing myself to have to back out.

Seen many people who park near the entrance and back out without looking properly. I avoid parking too close to the entrance, myself, too many cars and foot traffic.

Almost always nose out, aka tactical parking. I generally don’t back into a diagonal spot, but I will do a quick look for diagonal pull-through opportunities.

It’s crazy to me when people don’t use pull-through opportunities, even if it means parking a bit farther out. It’s really crazy to me when people park halfway in a pull-through. I saw it just yesterday at Target.

If I'm going to have a cart full of stuff to put in to the back of my SUV then I won't pull through. It's just too much of a hassle to unload it. So if there is an opportunity to pull through I'm not going to take it.

If I'm going to have a cart full of stuff to put in to the back of my SUV then I won't pull through. It's just too much of a hassle to unload it. So if there is an opportunity to pull through I'm not going to take it.
Oh, this is helping me understand pull through. You are driving down an aisle, pull into a parking spot, now on, and continue going forward into the adjoining aisle, so then nose out. I was thinking of the drive through as post parking whereas it is actually pre parking.

I was confused as again, never have heard of that nor have ever seen it.

Oh, this is helping me understand pull through. You are driving down an aisle, pull into a parking spot, now on, and continue going forward into the adjoining aisle, so then nose out. I was thinking of the drive through as post parking whereas it is actually pre parking.

Yes, if you pull nose in to a parking spot in one aisle and the spot in front of you is clear you would keep going in to it and then you would be nose out in that aisle.
If I don't have to access my trunk area I would do that but if do I'd just stay in the spot I pulled nose in to.

If the spot in front of you did not get occupied while you were away from your car? Do I have that correct?
We might just be thinking of different types of parking situations. I’m talking about the green arrow below. You “pull through” to be nose out in the next aisle. Nobody can block you, and you just drive forward to leave.

670FFB30-D563-4EDE-B1DE-8AC25EE061F5.jpeg

Yes, if you pull nose in to a parking spot in one aisle and the spot in front of you is clear you would keep going in to it and then you would be nose out in that aisle.
If I don't have to access my trunk area I would do that but if do I'd just stay in the spot I pulled nose in to.
I agree that the need to access the rear for loading large purchases is a consideration.

We might just be thinking of different types of parking situations. I’m talking about the green arrow below. You “pull through” to be nose out in the next aisle. Nobody can block you, and you just drive forward to leave.

View attachment 693116
Okay, I understand now. I guess not a common practice here. I don't think I've ever seen 'nose-out' parked cars before, not that I'm really looking though, ha.

Nose-in most of the time, but there are some situations where nose-out is really preferable. One I can point to is my DD's school lot, because the pick-up queue runs through it at drop-off and dismissal. If I go to the school knowing I will need to get out of the car, then I'm going to go early and back in, so that I will not hold up the queue when trying to leave (and when another driver will be desperately seeking a parking space because they have to go into the building for some reason.) I also back in at one of the theatre venues here; the garage is huge, and if you don't back in, you can end up sitting in it for two hours after a performance before the traffic thins enough to allow backing out. At my office I only do it as a pull-through if that's convenient, because we don't have an office-wide designated shift-change time.

Of course, pulling through only works well when the lot is striped at 90 degree angles. If it's striped at 45 degrees with directional aisles, you end up facing the wrong way and have to turn 270 degrees to exit, which, if the aisles are narrow, might require at least a 3-pt turn to accomplish, and possibly more.

One of the churches in my area has more congregants than parking, and the City has decreed that on Sundays, all parking on certain nearby streets must be nose-out at a 45 degree angle with the right rear wheel against the curb (the striping is for parallel parking, which is the rule the rest of the week). It's an interesting dance to participate in. (Older parishioners, in particular, often have real difficulty with this maneuver -- it requires a good range of motion to do safely if you don't have a wide-angle backup camera.)

Last edited:
I was a professional driver many years ago and still have a Class A Commercial Drivers License. (I call it my unemployment insurance.) Every driving safety course I ever took taught that back-in parking is safer. There are several reasons why, and it’s definitely not as critical in many situations, but I’ve just had it drilled into my head to do so. Military and First Responders are taught the same. I do a lot of work and use the gym at a local Navy base, and most folks there park nose out. It’s really just a preference.

I do both pretty equally - It totally depends on where I’m at. I actually do better backing in than I do moving forward in :confused3

I never back in to a spot. I have a review camera so backing out is not a big deal to me. I think that every car should come with one. But even before that, I had no problem backing out. I find that much easier then backing into a spot. Not to mention that people don't realize you are trying to back in and get too close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter