Norway vs Mediterranean

This thread is so making me wish that the Norway cruise was scheduled during our school break period (late May-July) :(

And I'm also rethinking the 2025 Med cruise I just booked (one-way Barcelona to Cittevichia) starting May 31. Will it be crowded and hot the first week of June?
I wish we could do this one! Love that it’s one way and you could easily add a week on in Italy or in Barcelona depending on preference. Remember a good portion of the US is also still in school at that time.

We did a Mediterranean cruise in July next year (on NCL though), and had an amazing time (well, aside from most of us getting strep and pneumonia at the end, lol!). That said, I will never do the Mediterranean in the summer again. It was crowded, unbearably hot, did I mention crowded and unbearably hot?

That said, we arrived ahead of the cruise and spent 3 nights in Rome and did a ton of sightseeing, and ended with 3 nights in Venice (which would have been more enjoyable were I not so sick), and we did a ton of sightseeing on the cruise -- it was amazing, but it was NOT relaxing. In fact, we ended up swapping out the Florence tour (which was our last stop) for a "Discovering the Ligurian Coast by Rubber Boat" as we were exhausted by the end and not up for another day of tons of walking in crowds in the hot sun. It ended up being one of our favorite excursions (with Delos as a close second) - you visit Lerici and Portovenere, a long bus ride, but you travel between the two port cities by a rubber boat that does a short cruise along the coast and islands - and it was also delightful, very few tourists, and just want we wanted, calm and relaxing. Sightseeing in the towns are at your pace.

We're doing Norway (or at least that's the plan!) in 2025, and it's partly because we LOVE scenic fjords and woodlands and want to see how Norway compares to New Zealand's fjords, but also because it's a family vacation (before both boys are off to college, as our youngest starts college that fall) where we want family time, calm and relaxation while doing some sightseeing without melting into a pile of goo.

This thread is so making me wish that the Norway cruise was scheduled during our school break period (late May-July) :(

And I'm also rethinking the 2025 Med cruise I just booked (one-way Barcelona to Cittevichia) starting May 31. Will it be crowded and hot the first week of June?
Yes, it will probably be crowded and hot, but that doesn't necessarily mea you don't do it.

Like I said in my earlier message, I LOVED my Med cruise, but I don't think it's what the OP was looking for in her situation. If you know what you're getting going into it, I think you'll be fine. We did the first Med cruise of the season because it was B2B with the TA so it was probably early to mid-June-ish that we were there.

While I hope this wasn't my only trip to Italy, I kind of treated it like it might be. We had FULL activities every day, day after day, in every port and in no way was it a relaxing vacation. But we knew that going in so it worked out all right. We managed to do a lot in Rome in one brutal day. If you are ending there and have extra time, I think you'll be fine.

Hi looking for some insight to those who have been to Europe. I’m between 7 night Mediterranean out of Barcelona in July or the 8 night Norwegian fjords out of Southampton. We’ve never been to Europe, have twins who will be turning 13 that summer, and dh has some health issues so we might need a slower pace. Both right now cost the same for a 5b. I don’t really know a lot about the Norway ports and it seems dcl has not been to some of them before but it looks beautiful. Has anyone done Bruges Belgium, haugesund, nordfjordeid, or kristisnsand what did you do? Did I read correctly that this will be the last Norwegian fjords cruise?

As for the med this is kind of a dream of mine to go to Italy but I’d want extra time in Rome and to see ponza where my grandparents were raised. With it leaving and returning out of Barcelona it makes it difficult although dh said we could always do the cruise then take a quick flight to Rome and spend a week doing those things. Seems a bit exhausting and hot. Looking for Italy experience mid July even if it was a land only experience. Also in cittevichia if you didn’t go into Rome what did you do.

After that long winded question I guess I’m looking for which one will be the easiest in terms of flight travel, relaxation, and fun.
We have done both. Norway was beautiful, weather was nice, and the people were friendly. Things were done at a fairly leisurely pace. Italy was miserably hot, very crowded, and much more rushed..think one hour from the ports to any tourist attraction. Most tourist areas are swarmed by immigrants hawking cheap trinkets to tourists, Hours in lines, and not any public restrooms.

We did the reverse of this cruise (cittevichia to barcelona) on our honeymoon in 2014 (we sailed celebrity though). I really enjoyed it! We went the end of July into August and I thought that it was nice. It wasn’t as hot as I had thought it would be and I loved bookending the trip with hotel stays in Rome and Barcelona! You should go and enjoy it! I’m sure you’ll have a great time

For reasons mentioned above, Norway would be my choice.

I've done two Med cruises (one DCL) and one 2-week Norwegian. The Med cruises are very port intensive and the ports tend to be a long way from the sites you go to visit (so long bus rides). And HOT in the summer. Lots of walking on cobblestone and visiting cathedrals. And the tourists are crazy. Do a land-based trip to Italy.

Norway can also be port intensive but very relaxed. What you are there for is mostly the scenery and the small towns right on the fjords. If you are so inclined you can hike, etc. or do an excursion or you can walk about town with an ice cream cone. And the people are lovely. We learned a lot about the Norwegian culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter