Northern Plains or Southwest first?

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I am thinking about doing a National Parks trip for my non-Disney trip next year. I have been toying between Mt Rushmore/area parks/maybe Glacier and Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion. I would love to see both areas and one of my friends went out to Mt Rushmore this past May and had great time. I would probably take her itinerary and then maybe add a week to go to Glacier. On the other hand I would love to see the Southwest also.

So I was thinking about doing these trips over 2 calendar years but within 1 rolling year so that an annual pass would cover both. My current thoughts are:
Trip #1 - Last week of May '10 and first week of June
Trip #2 - Early May '11

So besides any advice that people would love to give, my question is:
Is there one of these options that wouldn't be as good at the beginning of May as it would at the end?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I think a lot of Glacier is still closed in early May due to snow, so I guess I would go with the Grand Canyon in early May. You might even run into snow in early June, I don't know if it is enough to close the "Going to the Sun" road or not.

Have fun, I have looked at vacationing at both of these places too.........some day.

So I was thinking about doing these trips over 2 calendar years but within 1 rolling year so that an annual pass would cover both. My current thoughts are:
Trip #1 - Last week of May '10 and first week of June
Trip #2 - Early May '11

So besides any advice that people would love to give, my question is:
Is there one of these options that wouldn't be as good at the beginning of May as it would at the end?

Thanks

Hi Donald,

We're sort of in the middle of your rolling 2 year plan at the moment!

Last year we visited the Southwest and absolutely loved it. Bought our annual pass in October 08 so this year ( in October) we're doing a trip that includes Mt Rushmore/Black Hills and Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. We won't get up to Glacier though as our loop is southward - we're taking in Rocky Mountains Nat Pk and Arches instead. When we booked this trip we hadn't even realized that our pass would still be valid in October - it was a real bonus :)

Early May has some road closures in Yellowstone, I'd imagine that could also be a problem in Glacier? But it would probably be a wonderful time in the Southwest.

Andona

The likelihood of early May road closures due to snow makes me lean towards late May for the more northern parks.

Late May means Memorial Day weekend, so lodging might be tight (or a bit more costly). If you want to do Yellowstone, and I highly recommend that, definately stay inside the park and reserve early.

Thanks for the advice! Yellowstone won't be part of either of these trips because I went there in '06. While I would love to go back, I would like to see some of the other parks first.

Well, I was on the NPS website tonight and here is their info on the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Quoted from NPS website:
When does the Going-to-the-Sun Road open and close?
While portions of this scenic route remain open year-round, for the next 8-10 years, weather permitting, the entire Going-to-the-Sun Road will be open for vehicle access from mid-June to mid-September. Before and after this core summer season, accelerated road work will be allowed and sections of the road will be closed.

Maybe I should look at not going to Glacier on this trip. What do you guys think? It is worth risking road closures or is it better waiting to another year when I can go during the months that the road is definitely open?

Also, have anyone been to the National Parks in North Dakota? Are they worth visiting? I have never been to ND, so visiting a park there would be cool.

Maybe I should look at not going to Glacier on this trip. What do you guys think? It is worth risking road closures or is it better waiting to another year when I can go during the months that the road is definitely open?

Only you can answer that question for yourself. But I have to point out, it's not a "risk" of road closure, it's almost a certainty during early to mid May, and high probability the rest of the month. Almost no high pass in the high western mountains will be open that early. I know that Tioga pass in Yosemite rarely opens before Memorial Day. I believe the same is true in Rocky Mountain National Park. Glacier is farther north than both.

-Bob

I have to agree with those who recommend the cooler climates for June or later in summer.

If you'll be crossing any deserts during your southwestern visit, I strongly suggest early May at the latest. Typically, our desert temperatures are in the 90s by mid-May--well into the hundreds in 2009. :( It was very hot very early this year!

Can't help with visit the national parks, though. My last visit to the Grand Canyon was 20+ years ago!

We did a Northern Plains loop in 2007. It included the Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park in North Dakota

Here is a link to my trip report here on the Dis. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1926347

It does include Yellowstone and the Tetons and the bad part is we did go in the Fall But you can maybe get some ideas

Squid

I have to agree with those who recommend the cooler climates for June or later in summer.

If you'll be crossing any deserts during your southwestern visit, I strongly suggest early May at the latest. Typically, our desert temperatures are in the 90s by mid-May--well into the hundreds in 2009. :( It was very hot very early this year!

Can't help with visit the national parks, though. My last visit to the Grand Canyon was 20+ years ago!

Excellent points thanks

We did a Northern Plains loop in 2007. It included the Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park in North Dakota

Here is a link to my trip report here on the Dis. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1926347

It does include Yellowstone and the Tetons and the bad part is we did go in the Fall But you can maybe get some ideas

Squid

Awesome! I will read through your report.

Both trips are great and well worth doing! :thumbsup2 Glacier is a wonderful park and I'd definitely try and fit it in, but not in early May. My aunt lives in Whitefish Mt. so for almost 40 years I've heard when the Going to the Sun road opens. There have even been a couples of times I remember it not happening until around the 4th of July but it all depends on the winter they have had and it can open late May/early June. You just have to be prepared for the possibility that you won't be able to cross it.

I give a thumbs up to visiting Medora if you want to swing up from Rushmore and Devil's Tower is a very interesting landmark to see in NE WY. Other points of interest that come to mind are Custer MT and the Little Bighorn and the Lewis and Clark Trail with the interpretive center in Great Falls, MT. All things that you could do as a back up plan if Glacier wasn't looking like a go or just fit in quick stops on the drive to Glacier.

You're going to want to visit the cold north as late as possible and the hot southwest as early as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter