north shore food trucks

Disneybridewifemama

DIS Veteran
We are headed back to Aulani but making our first trip to the north shore. Which food trucks are a must try and where can we find them?

We checked out the ones across from Sharks Cove but DH was so skeeved out by all the bugs around, that we passed also. We wanted Matsumoto’s so we ended up eating at a little place around the corner called FatBoys and enjoyed their plate lunches. We also stopped for drinks at WowWow Lenonade which was pricey but super good!

Not a food truck but we LOVE Ted's Bakery for food truck style dishes.

They have incredible garlic shrimp and rice plates, loco moco, charcoal fired burgers, general plates lunches etc

They push their pie slices but in all honesty I dont find the pie that great. I am pretty sure it is made in a small factory somewhere, it sure doesnt taste homemade but it isnt bad either-just not what we come here for.

The ambiance is where it is at though, all walks of life are lined up to order food inside and there are covered tables to eat at outside with feral cats and chickens wandering about (I know that is gross but it is pretty common in Hawaii)Everyone from tourists to barefoot surfers

Teds Bakery is just up from Sunset Beach and everything from the kitchen is made to order so it can take 10-20 mins to get your food but it is sooo worth it.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/teds-bakery-haleiwa-4

http://www.tedsbakery.com/

If you like Thai food, you must visit Opal Thai! They were a North Shore food truck, but now have a restaurant in Honolulu. So I know it's the opposite of what you asked about, but I highly recommend!

When we visited last August, we enjoyed an amazing lunch from the Big Wave Shrimp truck. Our family of 3 shared two plate lunches: Garlic Shrimp and Short Ribs.

20180815_120919.jpg

Both were wonderful, especially the shrimp! I dream about that shrimp! The accompanying pineapple slices were also amazing! Both plates also came with rice and salad. It was a great meal before heading up the road to Matsumoto's for shave ice!

Last edited:

heading up the road to Matsumoto's for shave ice!
Definitely go to Matsumoto's. The first time we were there, I saw the lineup and thought what's so great about this shaved ice that people are willing to line up?? Isn't it just a snow cone? The next time we went, lineup wasn't so bad so we went in. OMG, it was so good, especially with the beans!

When we visited last August, we enjoyed an amazing lunch from the Big Wave Shrimp truck. Our family of 3 shared two plate lunches: Garlic Shrimp and Short Ribs.

20180815_120919.jpg

Both were wonderful, especially the shrimp! I dream about that shrimp! The accompanying pineapple slices were also amazing! Both plates also came with rice and salad. It was a great meal before heading up the road to Matsumoto's for shave ice!

DROOLING-you are killing me Greg!

20180815_120919.jpg

The shrimp are always good but I never understand why they are served with the shell. It is so messy to eat.

I found a couple of recipes to make at home (super easy btw) and I have done it both ways.

My hubby says the shell on makes the garlic and butter "taste better" but idk, I think it is messy too and not worth the little bit of extra taste. I would rather have a side of garlic butter to dip in

Let me start of by saying I love Hawaii but I do not go there for the food. I'm from RI where we get the best seafood you could ever want and I tried the Shrimp trucks on a couple different trips and was so disappointed . I wouldn't make a trip based on stopping at a must do Shrimp truck. If you are in the area and want lunch , they are okay but not something to write home about for me.

The shrimp are always good but I never understand why they are served with the shell. It is so messy to eat.

I always thought leaving the shell on helped trap the flavor inside and in the meat. Yeah, we had to peel the shells off, but then having to lick all of the garlic-y goodness off of our fingers was so worth it! :)

Giovanni’s Shrimp truck is the most well known, and thus probably the most popular. There are a handful of other trucks in the same area (parking lot), which makes it convenient for a one stop shop if you want to try multiple trucks. Whenever we go, we will search “food trucks” in yelp and google maps for the North Shore area to see what looks good and its location. Not all the trucks show up, but it gives you an idea of what’s out there! We tried a shrimp truck that WASN’T Giovanni’s once, and it was still very tasty. I don’t know if I’d be able to tell the difference if they were side by side? We went to a truck once called Crispy Grindz. It had açaí bowls (which I had never heard of at that point), and something called pastel (which I’d also never heard of and still haven’t heard of again!), and it was our favorite stop!

I’ve heard great things about Opal Thai. It was on the Food Network. Hopefully we can make it out there on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter