None

Status
Not open for further replies.
kritters4,
I bet had you stayed on the ship you would have still had a great time. The weather here in Charleston the day the Wonder was here was sunny and 66 degrees. Not tropical, but all in all a beautiful day. I did go see the Wonder while it was here and the passengers I saw were all having a great time. You cannot predict the weather and I feel you robbed yourself and family of a great cruise. We went to Nassau last year in June. Guess what ?We were in a tropical depression. It rained all day and was around 64 degress. I still had a great time. We also had carnival and another cruise line come to Chas. the next day. I guess the choices were limited with the hurricane. Some times you just have to go with the flo. Life is full of unexpected surprises.

Teri
:D

Kritters4. I would have done just what you did. I understand the safety issues and that DCL isn't responsible for the weather, but Charleston in November is not the Bahamas in November. I'm sure you would have had fun, but it would not have been the kind of fun you expected. Good luck on the next trip, hope you get to Nassau and to Castaway Cay.

The part about your post that disturbs me is the fact that your children were crying as the ship pulled away. (I don't blame them.)

Do you think your kids really cared to where the "Mickey Boat" was headed?

I can understand your disappointment -- but, think of the fun your kids missed!

Kritters,
So what did you end up doing after you left the ship? Did you go back to DW or are you going to try again on DCL? We sailed last month, and one of the things I told my family was, depending on weather we may be diverted somewhere else. Other than Castaway Cay, I couldn't have cared where we went. The next cruise, DH & I want to do is the 4day Wonder again for our 20th anniversary. I don't have any plans getting off the ship except for Castaway Cay.
I'm sure you did what you thought was best for your family, we would have just gone with it, for the sake of everyones hightened spirits.
Good luck with your next venture.

Teri, not surprized at YOUR reply, I see you live in Charleston, SC. Eric, Julie, and Hailey, my kids 10 & 12 were most upset because they wouldn't be swimming with the dolphins in the Bahamas! The "Mickey Boat" was beautiful no doubt, but the Dolphin Hotel,where we were the four days prior to our sail, was beautiful as well. My children as well as my husband and myself sure did care where that boat was headed!! As far as my family being robbed of a great cruise, DON'T THINK SO!! At least not on the Nov. 4th voyage. We'll be cruising again to the destination we paid for, and I would get off again if it is not one that is similiar. FYI for all of you out there, the FANTASY was at CC when the Wonder was and was able to dock at Freeport for two days. Think DCL waited a little too long to try to find a similiar port to go to.Just a word to all of you out there... I posted this to let you all know of our experience, both good and bad. I think I was fair in my explination of what happened and mostly satisfied with DCL's response the the change in ports. What I am really surprized at is all of the criticism and assumptions! Everyone rest assure, my children are fine and looking forward to another curise in April. I stand by my decision for MY family. Best wishes to all.:wave:

kritters4 ,
I think the people are being critical because Why should you get a refund when you chose not to sail? Disney fullfilled there requirement by sailing. Are you going to want a refund If you go to Nassau like we did and had your Excursions cancelled because of a tropical depresssion? How about all of the people who can't dock at Castaway Cay, when seas are to rough? It was YOUR choice not to go, plain and simple. I do sympathise with you, and am sorry you didn't get the vacation you chose, but neither did the people who flew to the Bahhamas and were stuck there for the hurricane. F.Y.I. Carnival was here the next day as well as another ship because of Hurricane Michelle. Disney chose the best path for them and their passengers as well as other cruise ships. I hope your next vacation goes as planned for you.

Teri

Don't feel bad. Animosity here on these boards is not half as bad as on another board I frequent. I totally sympathize with you! I would have been EXTREMELY upset. My girlfriend cruised during Hurricane Michelle also but she cruised with Royal Carribean. They were suppose to cruise to the Western Carribean but they were re-routed to Eastern Carribean which I feel is an EQAUL and acceptable alternative. Yes I realize for those of you wondering that DCL has no control over Mother Nature and there is the matter of a signed cruise contract but Charleston is a far cry from the Bahamas or Carribean. No offense meant what so ever, I'm sure Charleston is a charming town but when you've been dreaming of and expecting the warm waters of the tropical Bahamas, Charleston is NOT IMHO an equal and acceptible alternative. I would have gotten off the ship too. Maybe I am just an ingrate but when I have spent months or a year or more planning and anticipating a cruise of a lifetime, I want the ship follow the book by the letter so to speak. I am sailing Disney and yes I do realize that there is always a chance that there will be a disappointment as far as itinerary goes but I don't think Charleston would be my idea of a dream cruise to a tropical clime where I could have been snorkeling in the crystal waters and sunning on a tropical beach. I chose Disney mainly for my kids because we wanted to take them with us but the second most important reason was the itinerary. I don't want to just relax on the ship the whole time. That's what Sea Days are for or cruises to nowhere. I want to experience those Jewels floating in the Sea. I want to see Trunk Bay and snorkel in the Carribean and lie on the white sand beaches. I don't want to stay on the ship in port or sail someplace I can drive to. Most people do go on cruises to experience and soak up the tropical atmosphere and that includes stepping off the ship and onto those tropical islands. One more thing to think about is the fact that some of these people that have been saving and planning might never get the oportunity to cruise again in which case the Charleston cruise would have been a heart crushing blow to someone like me who is planning and dreaming of those warm, crystal clear waters of the Carribean. I think I will get off my soapbox now. Rememer these are only MY opinions and these boards are to ask and give opinions. It is also my hope that my opinion won't come back to bite me in the but come Feb/Mar.

We were on this cruise, and it was not what I expected. We drove down 95 and if we really wanted to go to Charleston we would have stopped on the way.(G) I wanted to experience the warmth of the Bahamas. We did go on a carriage ride that was ok, the people were real nice, but I wanted a beach. I wanted to get away from reality for a while. That did not happen. Another thing that bothers me is that the seas we experienced seem to have been a bit worse then what the Magic had, the pools on the Wonder were closed most of the time, I have read the pools on the Magic were open, but wavey. Don't know if the day difference in departure made the difference in where we were able to go, but wish they could have done a better job. I was also surprised at the prices of the excursions they offered at Charleston. Disney's excursions were all around $50 per person. We did the carriage ride on our own for $36 for the three of us, they didn't charge us for our 4 year old. I also kept asking for a map of the area, and the excursions desk could not help me. When I asked the night before I was told I could try the internet cafe. I was not willing to pay the price, if they thought of that why didn't they do it as a guest services measure? In the morning they still didn't have a map. When we got off the ship, there was a table set up with tourist information booklets that Charleston tourism was providing us, they contained a map. It would have been nice if Disney could have helped us out with this, or at least known that we would be met with information at port. Made me wonder if they were working on commision at the excursion desk.

We did get all the shows, and what we saw were great, finishing up with the amazing Disney Dreams, just fantastic. The weather really put a damper on things, I think some of the crew had problems cleaning up after all those that were sick, as well as those dumping their beverages ( I did that at the buffet, when the table I tipped into with a wave moved, all the other tables are very steady the omlet station is not)

One other problem we had was with the kids club on the first night, we were paged that my older daughter wanted out, when it was really the younger one. By the time I got to the youger one she was quite upset, and didn't want to go back. She worked through it and did make it back the third day for a short stay and the forth day long enough to eat with the kids, and let us have the best (by far) meal of the trip at Palos.

Castaway Cay was beautiful. We had a wonderful day there, just wish we had more time. Rented a couple of tubes, and bikes. Very relaxing, food was Ok, cookies were good. Service at the barbacue was wonderful, wish we had some of that wait service on the ship. My little one fell off the bench onto her butt and head, luckily the butt took most of the force. The castmembers were there instantly, almost in time to catch her it seemed. She calmed down real fast, and we couldn't feel a bump, so we didn't bring her to first aid. The castmembers kept coming by to see if she was alright or if we needed anything. (the service was just as good before the fall as after)

I wasn't as happy with this trip as I expected to be, but for the kids I feel I would be willing to go again, only thing is my DH was sick 3 of the 4 days and he isn't as willing to give it another try. Guess we will have to go back to WDW for a while, and maybe after a while DH will forget.

We sailed on the Magic for the Oct 27th "Halloween" cruise the first two days were cold and windy. We then experienced three nice days and then on the thursday day at sea it was terrible high swell rainy and windy a lot of the ship was sick none of my family got sick but the water was splashing out of the pools. The next day was Castaway Cay and we were not able to dock because of the high winds. We were very dissapointed but never did I feel that DCL owed us anything because they were only concerned with ours and the crews safety. I feel that people should read their brochures before booking and if they don't want unexpected things to happen to them DON"T GO ON A CRUISE.:(

Originally posted by chrisn
. Yes I realize for those of you wondering that DCL has no control over Mother Nature and there is the matter of a signed cruise contract but Charleston is a far cry from the Bahamas or Carribean. No offense meant what so ever, I'm sure Charleston is a charming town but when you've been dreaming of and expecting the warm waters of the tropical Bahamas, Charleston is NOT IMHO an equal and acceptible alternative. I would have gotten off the ship too. Maybe I am just an ingrate but when I have spent months or a year or more planning and anticipating a cruise of a lifetime, I want the ship follow the book by the letter so to speak. I am sailing Disney and yes I do realize that there is always a chance that there will be a disappointment as far as itinerary goes but I don't think Charleston would be my idea of a dream cruise to a tropical clime where I could have been snorkeling in the crystal waters and sunning on a tropical beach. .

Obviously, the ship could not follow the book by the letter because of the weather. If they had gone through the hurricane, people would be complaining and saying the Disney does not care about safety. Also, it's a four night cruise -was there anywhere else they could have gone that was not going to be in the hurricane's path? Of course, Charleston was not comparable to a trip to the Bahamas, but life sucks like that sometimes. I was on the seven night cruise and it took us two days to get out of the nasty weather and rough seas.

It just seems that with all the crap going on in this country it's sort of petty to complain that the cruise didn't take you where you wanted to go. At least you have the chance to go on vacation.

The original poster chose to modify the trip report posted here. Since it no longer exists, this thread is closed to further comments. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter