None of the Moderates Excite Me- Needing Suggestions

I would book CSR and keep checking the Swan and Dolphin. CSR is a lovely moderate, and if you can book a tower room, you will be close to everything.

I think you need to realize that if you book a standard room at a moderate you may end up with a bit of a walk to the food/main pool. All moderates (except for POFQ which you dislike) are large and you may end up having to do some walking to make it the resort amenities.

Also, you say you plan on driving. Do you know that not every park has the shuttle running from the parking lot to the park gates? That will be even more walking. Not to mention the roads and parking lots will also be crazy busy. You may want to reconsider and take resort transportation.

*We stayed at the Coronado 4 years ago. Loved the theming, but it was about a mile walk to the main building for drink refills.
Consider the new tower at Coronado this year. The place is really nice and the holiday decorations are very well done.

Another thing to consider. If the cost of the tower at CSR is too high, look into a preferred room there. They are in the Casitas and Cabanas and the walk to the tower and/or Three Bridges isn't bad from either. Or you might have luck requesting a room in one of the Casitas. I've stayed in the non-preferred in both Casitas and Cabanas and both were in the buildings right next to the preferred so the walk wasn't bad at all. With the addition of bridge in the middle of the lake, it cuts off a lot of steps to get to the tower from all the buildings, even the Ranchos.

I see you said you have no desire to stay at a value, but it seems like you're not finding what you want at the moderates, so I have to ask - have you looked at what Art of Animation has to offer? I'm also planning a trip with with my 2.5 year old son and, since we haven't taken a vacation in years, we're kind of going all out and willing to splash out on a deluxe, but I was still seriously considering Art of Animation. Unlike the other values, and most of the moderates, it has a splash pad for toddlers! It also has the skyline, really cool "Disney" theming for kids, a huge pool that never seems to get super crowded, and suites that are great if you want space to go when the kid is napping/asleep for the night. I know there is no table service, but the food court gets really good reviews. We have settled on the Poly, but AoA was a very close second for us - and would definitely book it before any of the mods (I've stayed at most of them, too).

I would say, as many have already opined, Coronado (Tower), Swan or Dolphin. Probably some best bang for the buck in accommodations. ... In addition, great food choices at all those locations.

What does your toddler like? Mine was IN LOVE with the little mermaid room at AoA. Still one of my best Disney memories. Maybe the Pirate room at CB?

Hey everyone! It's been about 3 years since we were at Disney due to COVID. We normally go twice a year and stay in deluxe resorts, but the costs in the last few years have just gotten crazy. For instance, it is $278 more for a standard room at the Poly now for the same week as we paid 3 years ago!

We have 1 toddler with us.

Thoughts? Opinions? (We have no desire to stay at a value.)

Thanks!
I, also, suggest that you consider AoA. I know you said you weren't considering a value resort, but your toddler would likely love it. Plus the SkyLiner is a big plus.

I am always a fan of Caribbean Beach and requesting a room near the Skyliner. Being to close to the transfer station means it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to get to Studios or Epcot. You're also about a 10 minute walk to the main building, and the busses for MK and AK stop at each section. In the morning, Jamaica is the first bus stop for that side of the resort.

Many of your feelings are what brings us to mostly staying many of our visits at Swan/Dolphin. These resorts are categorized as deluxes so you get EEH but they compete price wise with the mods at disney. You can keep checking as you get closer to the dates for discounts but overall, you'll have walkability/boats to Epcot/DHS and more dining options than any mod resort nearby. Although, If you already got a room at $258/nt though, you're probably not going to get to close at S/D even with a discount once you add in the resort fee/parking.

I really can say not many of the WDW resorts have a lot to be amped up for if you've been to WDW in the last few years so you're not really missing anything new outside of maybe a new room category or a newly refreshed room. Of the mods, the nicest/most deluxe feeling is CSR in the tower, the prices aren't bad but you don't get a balcony which I don't love.The rooms are really nice but you're still bussing it to the parks as you would be at POFQ/POR.

The only positive at CBR imo is the skyliner and if you were to get a newly remodeled little mermaid room. They're nice rooms but really far from the main lobby. As you are aware, the major downside to this resort is the size and the rooms are definitely showing their age. We stayed in the Jamaica section on our last stay here and we said we'd not book this resort again until all the rooms have been redone. Of the mods right now, our favorite is still POR/POFQ with FQ squeaking into 1st place for this resort being so much smaller than all the others. You don't have to worry about a bad location room, everything is close by and you only have one bus stop if you do use a bus.

GDT (Coronado Springs). It is great!! Love the restaurants, grounds, many spaces to relax. The gift shop is good also.

We stayed here a couple of months ago - club level and it was great! Well worth the price with AP discount.

I love POFQ and we are DVC members, but this resort was a pleasant surprise.

With a toddler, I'd definitely consider the theming of both Pop and Art, and upgrade your room. IMO, and we've stayed at all but 4 resorts on property, you can't beat the Skyliner and the fun Disney theming. As others have mentioned, the pool area at Caribbean Beach, the Skyliner, and the themed rooms are all great, and you could do a preferred room if you wanted to be closer to everything.

Even if I offer my 17 and 20 year old a Deluxe resort, almost every time they pick a Pop Preferred Pool View room. The only thing I feel like we're missing is a hot tub (which we never have time for anyway) and the proximity of the walk from Contemporary, Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk.

French Quarter is nice, I've stayed there a few times. It is small, and as such has only 1 pool and a smallish food court.
I’m good with small....and with one pool, which looks good. Plus, we have access to POR pool...

I’m going to try and spend more time at the resort than I normally do...

Thanks!

Current mod that we have booked is $258 a night. Swan is $586 a night.

If your budget is under $300 a night, might I suggest that you consider a value? I know that you stated before that you aren't open to it, but it feels to me that is where your budget is best aligned. The theming at AoA is incredible - particularly for a toddler. They would have a very magical time. :)

First, the distance at CSR is not "a mile" RME and since they added the bridge across the water it has become a lot less from the back of the resort to the lobby area. So I would not worry about the walking, but then again I do not think a 7 minute walk is a lot and I know a lot of folks on DIS do. We really like POFQ, it has become one of our family favorites and we definitely do not find the theme boring. It does have a great kids splash area. I actually find a few of the deluxes to have a more boring theme. We have really taken to the skyliner and our last few trips we stay at a skyliner resort. BTW, We are a family of 4 and have totally enjoyed our stays at POP.

I loved my stay at Coronado Springs -Tower. If you weren’t driving, though, I doubt I’d recommend it as the bus situation is awful. But you are, so … and as a bonus, Toledo and 3Bridges are fabulous

Now I’m nervous about FQ, lol
I love POFQ, and have been staying there a lot since it first opened. I love the size of the resort. I love the aesthetic, the feeling that I am wandering through a village of beautiful buildings. I love the fact that it has one bus stop, although I do wish they had dedicated queues like the values. I love taking the boat to Disney Springs. I love that it’s just a short stroll to POR for the extra dining options. Everyone has different tastes (for example GF and AKL are my least favorite resorts) so you won’t know until you try it how you feel.

If you have never been there before, keep an open mind. Don’t immediately compare it to the other resorts you have stayed in. You may find it’s not your taste, or you may find that you have found a new favorite.

OP, I would give you the same advice. If you haven’t stayed at a moderate before, give it a try. I have stayed at all levels of Disney resort, from value to DVC, and I have never regretted trying a new resort. Yes, I have my favorites like anyone, but sometimes the budget limitations mean staying in a second or third choice. I have a reservation at All Star Sports next month. Is that my favorite resort? No. I have stayed at the other two AS resorts and liked them, but I am not a fan of sports/games at all. However, I was able to book at a ridiculously low rate, saving me enough to pay for my food while I am there, so budget won and I will have a good time. I would have preferred to stay at CR, WL, or YC, but I am paying less for my four nights than I would for one night in a deluxe. Only you can decide what compromises your family is willing to make, whether that is on/off property, deluxe/moderate on site, table service/quick service dining, etc. Planning a WDW trip with a budget always requires give and take to get the numbers to work. I hope you have a great trip, wherever you stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter