Non rope drop ppl - what’s it like??

We tend to get to the parks at 10 and leave late afternoon if we are not eating dinner in the park. My kids ( 10 & 8 ) have talked about the Halloween party, but I don't see any of us staying up til midnight for any reason. Maybe when they get teenagers, we'll do the parks all day/night.

I'm typically a rope drop to close every single day I'm there kinda person. Trying to prepare myself for my upcoming runDisney trip. Though I've done a few racing trips before, I don't typically go to the parks after the longer races and this time I will. Not used to having a later start in the parks so I like reading people's plans/strategies for doing it. I don't go to Disney to relax, I go for the parks, so I'm always trying to maximize my time. Not being able to be in the parks all day is stressing me out a little, I don't know how people do it haha

Hugggggge thank you to everyone who responded and everyone who shared their non RD experiences! It’s honestly been so helpful and I’m really looking forward to having a laid back, relaxing Disney vacation (what is that?? Haha) :)

Fingers crossed I don't freak myself out with FOMO on the days when I go late...but I have got to start sleeping more on these trips.
Not being able to be in the parks all day is stressing me out a little, I don't know how people do it haha

This is totally me too - I felt weirdly stressed about not doing RD even though it’s not a possibility being on west coast time with a toddler AND DH and I aren’t even trying to ride any big ticket rides since we’ve been so many times before! Old habits...haha. But everyone sharing their non RD days has really REALLY helped!

Here now and we slept in bth days. No issues at all.
Does anyone sleep in and head to the parks in the late morning/noon? I’m so curious what your strategy/plan is like.

DH and I are headed to WDW in late Oct/early Nov with our almost 2 year old. We were always RD/EMH people but having a toddler changed that :lmao:

Our plan is to make FP+ for the attractions we know DD will like (iasw, princess meet and greet) and spend the afternoon walking around, snacking, finding street entertainers, and ducks, and wait until later in the night to ride more rides or meet more characters. She’s been to Disneyland several times so we generally know what she likes. DH and I won’t be trying for the big ticket rides as we’ve done them pre-baby.

So, does anyone else tour this way? Do you like it? The parks don’t seem to be open as late as I remember or maybe there just used to be more nighttime EMH, so is my expectation of lower crowds/shorter lines (for 35” and under rides, and meet and greets) the hour or two before closing unrealistic? Would love to hear advice from anyone who doesn’t rope drop as we’ve never toured this way before! :)
Does anyone sleep in and head to the parks in the late morning/noon? I’m so curious what your strategy/plan is like.

DH and I are headed to WDW in late Oct/early Nov with our almost 2 year old. We were always RD/EMH people but having a toddler changed that :lmao:

Our plan is to make FP+ for the attractions we know DD will like (iasw, princess meet and greet) and spend the afternoon walking around, snacking, finding street entertainers, and ducks, and wait until later in the night to ride more rides or meet more characters. She’s been to Disneyland several times so we generally know what she likes. DH and I won’t be trying for the big ticket rides as we’ve done them pre-baby.

So, does anyone else tour this way? Do you like it? The parks don’t seem to be open as late as I remember or maybe there just used to be more nighttime EMH, so is my expectation of lower crowds/shorter lines (for 35” and under rides, and meet and greets) the hour or two before closing unrealistic? Would love to hear advice from anyone who doesn’t rope drop as we’ve never toured this way before! :)

Here now and we slept in both days. We are in our 50s. Obviously, able to stay up late hence the timing of this post. We did typhoon H2O last night. We've been arriving at 11:00ish and loving it. We go back at 5:00. Refresh and head back out at 6:30 - 11:00

The earlier closings will hurt a bit but still 5-6 hours for a 2 year old is a lot! I don't think your Princess will miss anything at that age.

Just for my own curiosity, why do you think it's a bad idea?

Matt

The first thing in the morning can be the busiest time of the day for the top attractions. As an example, I first posted this story here in 2009 when Toy Story Mania was by far the most popular attraction on property.

Here's my favorite Rope Drop story:

I had a co-worker recently telling me about her trip to Disney World. They seemed to be pretty good planners and tried to maximize their time the best they could.

She was very excited to tell me about her experience riding Midway Mania without a Fast Pass. The got up really early, got to the gates about 45 minutes before they opened and waited in a pretty large crowd. Then they hurried as fast as they could to the ride and the wait was *only* 15 minutes. By the time they got off the line was almost an hour long. There were people all over the place.

I rode the same ride 4 times in about an hour late at night and didn't have to deal with the crowds.

The first thing in the morning can be the busiest time of the day for the top attractions. As an example, I first posted this story here in 2009 when Toy Story Mania was by far the most popular attraction on property.

Here's my favorite Rope Drop story:

I had a co-worker recently telling me about her trip to Disney World. They seemed to be pretty good planners and tried to maximize their time the best they could.

She was very excited to tell me about her experience riding Midway Mania without a Fast Pass. The got up really early, got to the gates about 45 minutes before they opened and waited in a pretty large crowd. Then they hurried as fast as they could to the ride and the wait was *only* 15 minutes. By the time they got off the line was almost an hour long. There were people all over the place.

I rode the same ride 4 times in about an hour late at night and didn't have to deal with the crowds.

And the wait isn’t “only” 15 minutes, when you have to wait in line 45 minutes for the privilege of being in the first wave of riders.

Haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but we don't rope drop either. In our opinion, it's a waste of time. We usually show up around 9:45 or 10:00am. We have our first FP+ from 9-10am, then 10-11am, then 11-noon. We hit the first one as soon as we arrive, so by time we are done with that, it's already time for FP+ #2. Go right to that, then modify #3. Then we start grabbing more...at the pace we want. Sometimes we shoot for as many rides as we can. Sometimes we take it much more casual. We love having that flexibility. We wouldn't have it any other way, I can't ever see myself rope dropping again.

Just for my own curiosity, why do you think it's a bad idea?

Matt

For the popular rides only unless you get there very early, get to the very front of the rope drop walk, and walk very aggressively you basically end up in lines that are longer than they are midday. If you can do all of those things then it sure it's beneficial, but also a big hassle to me. Rope dropping the less popular rides is a great idea though.

I watched the wait times for Flight of Passage quite a bit when it was new in order to come up with a good plan for that one. On an average day, the posted wait would grow to around 240 minutes shortly after the park opened then decrease slowly throughout the day. The posted wait just before closing time would generally be about 30 minutes. That's a big difference.

Last summer, we waited 17 minutes just before close in early June. The wait had been up to 3 hours earlier in the day.

I just can't imagine showing up extra early and waiting outside a locked gate for something that will almost be a walkon later in the day.

I've been to Disney over 20 times and have never once done rope drop and I don't regret it. We often grab lunch on our way to the park (stay offsite) and then stay until park close. We are able to get everything we want to do in. We are usually there over spring break so the hours are a little extended (not like they used to be though). Sometimes we do the paid extra hours thing as well. My kids are teens, it's just easier to go later than fight getting up early. With FP planning you can still get a lot done.

Here now and we slept in bth days. No issues at all.

Here now and we slept in both days. We are in our 50s. Obviously, able to stay up late hence the timing of this post. We did typhoon H2O last night. We've been arriving at 11:00ish and loving it. We go back at 5:00. Refresh and head back out at 6:30 - 11:00

The earlier closings will hurt a bit but still 5-6 hours for a 2 year old is a lot! I don't think your Princess will miss anything at that age.

I love this, it makes me excited instead of stressed about showing up around 11. Thank you!

Haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but we don't rope drop either. In our opinion, it's a waste of time. We usually show up around 9:45 or 10:00am. We have our first FP+ from 9-10am, then 10-11am, then 11-noon. We hit the first one as soon as we arrive, so by time we are done with that, it's already time for FP+ #2. Go right to that, then modify #3. Then we start grabbing more...at the pace we want. Sometimes we shoot for as many rides as we can. Sometimes we take it much more casual. We love having that flexibility. We wouldn't have it any other way, I can't ever see myself rope dropping again.

Ahhh flexibility in WDW - I'm definitely looking forward to that! DH also hopes this trip makes me never want to rope drop again :D

I watched the wait times for Flight of Passage quite a bit when it was new in order to come up with a good plan for that one. On an average day, the posted wait would grow to around 240 minutes shortly after the park opened then decrease slowly throughout the day. The posted wait just before closing time would generally be about 30 minutes. That's a big difference.

Last summer, we waited 17 minutes just before close in early June. The wait had been up to 3 hours earlier in the day.

I just can't imagine showing up extra early and waiting outside a locked gate for something that will almost be a walkon later in the day.

17 minutes?? That's amazing! I've spent my whole Disney life being that person waiting outside a locked gate. And then was always too tired to close out the park. My life is forever changed now :flower3::lmao:

This past 10 day trip I mixed it up with some RD, midday break, PM park days with some late start days and some evening start days. I loved it. Some days we got up around 9 and into the parks around noon. Some days we slept in, hit the pool and got to the parks around 4. With FP+ you don’t have to do RD. I still like RD but I don’t feel the need to do it everyday. and our RD days are arriving 10 minutes before opening. Not 45-60 minutes.

17 minutes?? That's amazing! I've spent my whole Disney life being that person waiting outside a locked gate. And then was always too tired to close out the park. My life is forever changed now

That’s why our plan works so well. Time isn’t free, and those that arrived too early will eventually tire out and head for the exits.

We make our first FP at 9:30, meaning we don’t have to be there until 10:45. We can generally refresh for about 10-12 FPs on an average day. We’ll do the indoor stuff during the middle of the day when it’s hot.

By evening, we like to ride the headliners over and over and over again. The rope droppers really don’t know what they’re missing.

I don't know about this late at night thing...I have done the 7:55 get in line at FOP (8:00)closing) and waited an hour, twice.
I have also RD for 9:00 opening: got there at 8:00, was off the ride at 8:45(!), and had virtual walk on for anything else for over an hour after.

Also, RD at MK I can do BTMR (twice if both sides open), Splash, Jungle, then back to Pirates in an hour or so, and still have 3fps ready to go.

I prefer RD, use my fps, leave the parks, return in evening using refresh. Best of both worlds I guess.

I don't know about this late at night thing...I have done the 7:55 get in line at FOP (8:00)closing) and waited an hour, twice.
I have also RD for 9:00 opening: got there at 8:00, was off the ride at 8:45(!), and had virtual walk on for anything else for over an hour after.

I wouldnt call 8pm late night but . im guessing the person who manages 4 rides in a row on he big rides are talking about midnight finishes for MK and 10pm for AK . i think late night rides are only good during last night show or if park is open a few hours after .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter