• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Non-rollercoaster Rides

ADisneyHan

Earning My Ears
I haven’t been to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure in over 5 years. I don’t really remember much about the rides as we don’t go too often. I’m hoping to incorporate a day or two at Universal/Islands of Adventure on my next trip to Florida.

What rides would you suggest that are not considered roller coasters?

I’m looking for more adult friendly rides that don’t have the rollercoaster feel as not everyone in the group enjoys coasters. Really anything that doesn’t include large drops or going upside down (or close to it) would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :thanks:

The shorter list is those that are roller coasters:
  • Hulk
  • Hagrids - no inversions (at least I don't remember any ;) and there are two drops. One is a 'short' horizontal drop (think like a drop ride but much smaller), the other is a vertical drop. For the smallest vertical 'drop', sit in the back
  • Hippogriff - kiddie coaster, no 'big' drops or inversions
  • Woody's Nuthouse Coaster - kiddie coaster (never ridden it, so not sure)
Then there are the semi-coasters??
  • Gringott's - no inversions, one drop - sit in the front row of the front car for the shortest drop
  • Mummy - no inversions (??), no 'big' drops - but there are a few very sudden stops
And finally, one that doesn't fit into either category, but may have a 'rollercoaster feel'
  • Forbidden Journey - no inversions, but it does toss you onto your back (and all over the place) and no physical 'drops', but you do get the drop 'feeling' at some points, IMO

There is also Rip Ride Rockit which is a more classic coaster with hill and drop.

Edit: But to answer your question on what to suggest that is an "adult" ride that is not a coaster:

At IOA:
- Spiderman (4D dark ride)
- Kong (4D Dark Ride)
- Popeye's (Water ride similar to Animal Kingdom's Kali River Rapids)
- Dudley Doo Right (log flume ride similar to Splash Mountain)
- Jurassic Park River Adbenture (also a water ride similar to Splash Mountain)
- Forbidden Journey (mentioned by previous poster. This is a dark ride that does toss you around a bit, but I wouldn't classify it as a coaster. It is my favourite ride in the world)

At USF:
- Minions (Motion Sim theatre ride. It's cute, not a must do but fun)
- Transformers (4D dark ride similar to Spiderman)
- Gringott's (as previous person mentioned, I guess it's kind of like a coaster but it doesn't have really any big drops, and is more a 4D sim type ride that has some coaster elements to it)
- Mummy (as previous poster mentioned, I would say this is technically a coaster because of the track it uses, but it doesn't have big drops or inversions. Is indoors and stops often for scenes. I love this ride)
- Men In Black (This is a "shooter" ride where you ride around and shoot at aliens. Similar I would say to Disney's Buzz Lightyear ride)
- Simpsons (Motion sim theatre ride)

Also at USF while not rides, I would recommend both the Hollywood Horror Makeup show. It is great. And the new Bourne stunt show that I have not seen yet but reviews that I've read say it's quite good.

Last edited:
There is also Rip Ride Rockit which is a more classic coaster with hill and drop.
Ah, can’t believe I missed that one!

You’ll know that one when you see it ;). No inversions, despite what it may look like. Has a big drop, but the way up is worse ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter