Non "prime" spot suggestions to see Paint the Night....

hart6066

DIS Veteran
I am not familiar with park so not sure where to try to stake out some non prime spots (not going to stake out 4 hrs early!!). We have reservations at Cafe Orleans at 6:50 and so I will head out right after that to find some spots--so only going about 45 min early (I will leave as soon as finished and let kids and DH pay and end meal). Any ideas? We can stand--no strollers--and most of us are tall! :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I haven't seen PTN yet, but for watching parades, I've noticed that Main St is NOT the place to be, lol. I've had really good luck with the restroom area right next to Alice in Wonderland and close to Small World. Also, we got lucky at the front of Main Street right by the gates where the parade enters/exits.

I found this online, it looks helpful : http://dlrprepschool.com/all-about-parades-at-disneyland/

We got caught last week waiting at the HUB trying to enter Tomorrowland front Frontierland during the last 10 minutes of the late parade and the view was fine - not prime, but fine. If you go to the late parade, I would think you can stake out a decent spot somewhere along the route without having to line up too early. We passed by the Alice bathrooms about 45 min prior to the EARLY parade, and those spots were mostly filled.

Any chance you can go to the late parade? Much easier to find spots. The late one goes from Main St to Small World. It was easy for us to find front-row, seated spots near Small World at 10:30 or 10:45. Maybe up there is a little less crowded than Main St for the earlier parade? Not sure as we only watched the late one. There was another thread on here with more info--
http://www.disboards.com/threads/pa...isneyland-forever-fireworks-strategy.3412136/
Long, but I found lots of good tips there before we went. It's an awesome parade and we loved it!! Have fun!

I'm curious also. I'm taking my grand kids. This will be the first time we will stay late enough to even see the fireworks. I am not going to wait anywhere more than 30 minutes, so I don't expect great, but I assume since they go off in the sky you will see the majority of them from almost anywhere.

With the east coast time difference, I think the late show is out--we'll have been in the parks since 7am and need to get up for our DCA following day.

On another thread someone suggested a late reservation at Carnation Cafe and if you are on porch, you can see it from there--anyone tried this? Otherwise I may try both Small World and Alice bathrooms for a spot

I'm curious also. I'm taking my grand kids. This will be the first time we will stay late enough to even see the fireworks. I am not going to wait anywhere more than 30 minutes, so I don't expect great, but I assume since they go off in the sky you will see the majority of them from almost anywhere.
Not really, Matterhorn and BTMRR block them pretty well. You need to make sure you're clear of those. People like the view from Fantasmic, and they do show the projections, but it is partially blocked by BTMRR. There are also low things that you'll only see from the hub or Main St.

With the east coast time difference, I think the late show is out--we'll have been in the parks since 7am and need to get up for our DCA following day.

On another thread someone suggested a late reservation at Carnation Cafe and if you are on porch, you can see it from there--anyone tried this? Otherwise I may try both Small World and Alice bathrooms for a spot
First, only about half the seating is outside. Second, people stand on the sidewalk in front of the patio, so they're already above street level. Then add kids on shoulders. Most of the PTN floats are not as tall as Soundsational. So even if you are seated in time and manage to get an outside table (And there are also umbrellas that will block the view from some tables) you are going to see very, very little of PTN with this strategy, if anything.

This was our experience on July 17th. We had dinner reservations at 7:10 at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. We decided to try finding a spot to watch PtN, knowing it probably wasn't going to happen since we were only about 20 minutes before the start of it. We found a really, really great spot near IASW. It was only myself, DH and DS7, and DS was close enough to sit almost front row. We'd already seen the parade, so it wasn't a big deal if we couldn't get great viewing for it. I was surprised with what we were able to find on such a busy day.

We were there on the 17th as well and got a great spot by IASW, about 20 min before it started. We were all the way down, literally as far down as you could go, across from the ride right by the gate where the parade starts. We were very lucky as we had DL regulars who were happy to sit on their blanket to watch the parade and my kids were able to stand right behind them and had a great view.

We were there July 14, and by 8pm there were no sitting OR standing spots, and I mean NONE, between the entrance of the park and the entrance to Fantasyland by the Matterhorn (including the spots by the Alice restrooms)That's as far as we walked when we gave up and went home. The next night we got a spot just before 7pm right in front of the Plaza Inn on the curb, but we did have to sit for a while. (I highly recommend the fried chicken dinner from the Plaza Inn. We got two dinners for myself and my two tween daughters, took them to go and ate them on the curb and we were stuffed!) Based on the PP, try looking by Small World. I think that is a far walk for most people and probably most often forgotten. Either that or it is dismissed by most because it isn't a prime fireworks spot with a view of the castle. Good luck, as PTN is a fabulous parade!

We had great front row spots by IASW about an hour before the parade started yesterday. There were a few similar spots still open for a little bit longer. There were standing spots available almost up to the start of the parade. I would definitely check here. Also, I thought it was a great spot for fireworks because most of them actually go off near Toontown, so you have a perfect view. You can also turn around and see the Matterhorn, as well as see the projections on IASW. And there was some breathing room to move around.

I would definitely go by iasm. You might end up behind a few rows of people, but it's a good view. You will likely be trapped for the fireworks though, which are not bad from that location, but there is very little chance of getting out if they weren't in your plans.

On another thread someone suggested a late reservation at Carnation Cafe and if you are on porch, you can see it from there--anyone tried this?
We made a reservation for 8pm on the one day when all of us could be watching. The person with whom I spoke on the phone told me that they do NOT recommend doing this, because there is no guarantee that we'll get patio seating and might just as well end up indoors. I did the reservation anyhow, hoping for the best, especially since I know it worked out for at least some Disboarders. I figured it's a bit of a gamble but if it is meant to be we'll catch at least the high stuff and if it doesn't happen, it's ok too (in that case I'll set up with the kids somewhere else the next night, but it would mean that DH misses it... he'll be at a conference). Wish me luck. I'll report back (we'll be there during the first week of August).

I just switched our Cafe Orleans reservation to 5:40 so that I can finish dinner and then head over to secure spots by IASW by around 7:30/7:40. I don't know the park well enough--will it be fairly easy for me to walk back to IASW from Cafe Orleans around 7? Will anything be blocked off?

Thanks for all of the advice!

I'm guessing that the train platform area right at the entrance of the parks fills up fast for PTN and fireworks viewing? I like the idea of being elevated and out of the fray a bit, but I certainly don't want to wait hours for spot.

I just switched our Cafe Orleans reservation to 5:40 so that I can finish dinner and then head over to secure spots by IASW by around 7:30/7:40. I don't know the park well enough--will it be fairly easy for me to walk back to IASW from Cafe Orleans around 7? Will anything be blocked off?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Walk back towards BTMRR and go around the back of it, by Big Thunder Ranch, directly to Fantasyland. This will be your fastest and least crowded way of getting to IASM from Cafe Orleans. Most of the craziness when it comes to crowds/being blocked off/being funneled into an area you don't want to be is around New Orleans Square and Adventureland. So once you get out of New Orleans Square you will be fine.

I wait until everyone is done jostling for a spot up front and then I stand on the boardwalk behind them in front of the GH.
I get a clear view and a post to lean against.

Sorry--what is GH? Thanks!

Opps, Sorry I forgot you weren't familiar with the park and I just hate it when someone uses an acronym I don't know. GH is "Golden Horseshoe".
Walt was very involved with designing this restaurant and even partied in it. It really is a jewel and you have to check it out for lunch or dinner!

Scott

We went to the second parade last night. We sat on the benches in front of the Matterhorn. We actually sat there and watched the fireworks, too. I have to say it was less crowded last night, and a wonderful place to watch everything. A side note, the projections from the fireworks at the Matterhorn were awesome.:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter