Non-Portable ECV and Taxis

Sparkie

DIS Veteran
I am renting an ECV for my mom. It is a standart 3 wheel model- so not portable. Is it possible for us to use taxi/uber service. Are there taxis available that she could drive the ECV on just like the bus?

We have a few 8 am bfast reservations and Im not sure how reliable the bus transportation will be. The bus is fine if it can pick up by 7 am.

Also what about the days that AK is opening at 7 am.Will there be bus service beginning at 6 am?

Uber will not be an option if the ECV cannot be broken down. There are a few select taxis that can handle an ECV but you cannot "reserve" it ahead of time. So if they are in use, you will have to wait. And I believe they are loaded onto these taxis unoccupied (unlike the bus).

Why not rent one that is portable? There are several 3 wheel ECVs that break down. The Pride Go Go is one.

Why not rent one that is portable? There are several 3 wheel ECVs that break down. The Pride Go Go is one.

Most of the models that accommodate larger/heavier people don't break down. I suspect that the rental company has matched the renter up with the best match and/or has made it known to the renter what their options are as far as models/features.
Or Maybe the others in their travel party have their own medical issues that preclude them from lifting even the broken down parts of the ECV.

Disney buses are very reliable and always run early enough to get people to parks before opening times.

There are Mears taxis that I've taken where they load me in my wheelchair and then strap it down and I can still buckle in. I'm not sure if they can let someone stay on the ECV in that kind of taxi but I would think if she could transfer to a seat in the taxi they could at least load her ECV and strap it down. Maybe get measurements of her ECV and call Mears to inquire about how much space there is in the taxi and if they will accomadate your needs. These taxis generally haven't been just sitting waiting for customers like you'll see at resorts and whatnot, you'll have to call for one and wait on them to arrive. I've used them multiple times sometimes the wait was short 10-15 minutes and once the wait was crazy long (about an hour, we were at POR waiting for a taxi back to GF, it was storming and we just wanted to get back to our resort but the wait was crazy). We had the same two drivers everytime we called a wheelchair taxi van with Mears and one of the drivers told us they (the accessible vans) stay the busiest and there aren't as many of the accessible vans as they really need. So taxi may work for your needs but the wait time is hit or miss, could be quick could be a long wait so just prepare for that and you'll be fine!

Thanks for the replies. It gives me information and options. Mom doesnt use an ECV all the time. She has COPD and its the distance walking that is too much for her. I wouldnt have a clue how to break down a portable unit even though she is within in the required weight parameters. I am also not sure if I could lift it.
Again thanks for the information.

Disney buses are very reliable and always run early enough to get people to parks before opening times.
I think this might be your best option and I have been on a DIsney buss as early as 6:15-6:20. If you are staying on site I would do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter