Non-DVC resort cash stays are no longer eligible for Moonlight Magic

I honestly didn't even know you could book cash stays through member services without the use of points since I assumed if you were going to pay cash you might as well buy it through the website.
MS can book cash reservations for DVC resorts subject to availability. You can't book non-DVC resorts for cash through MS.

I honestly didn't even know you could book cash stays through member services without the use of points since I assumed if you were going to pay cash you might as well buy it through the website.
I believe you can use cash but only in addition to using points. Like DCL, you can use both but I believe at least one person has to use points for their reservation. It's been awhile since I've looked into this but I don't think it's changed. I also know there's a fee ($95?) if you book non-DVC using points but that's the only cash I know of when booking non-DVC through MS.

Last edited:
MS can book cash reservations for DVC resorts subject to availability. You can't book non-DVC resorts for cash through MS.
That's what I figured afterwards. I think @DonMacGregor was the one who said non-DVC resorts could be booked for cash through member services which is what threw me off because I don't think that's actually a thing.

No, you can make a cash reservation at a non-DVC resort, you just need to make that cash reservation through Member Services.

That's what I figured afterwards. I think @DonMacGregor was the one who said non-DVC resorts could be booked for cash through member services which is what threw me off because I don't think that's actually a thing.
I have seen a number of reports that suggest that there are occasional offers made for non-DVC resorts through MS. I have no desire to pay cash for anything at WDW, so I've never pursued it further.

Ok...but part two of that is that I JUST booked that SSR night LAST week...well beyond the cutoff date.
What cutoff date are you referring to? Perhaps you have a link for this?

The only cutoff date I've seen seems to coincide with changes to the party size (see below DHS example). For the Epcot MM, I recall this date being January 7.

Early Registration - Opens August 1, 2024
The early registration window for the August 27th event is open to eligible Members with qualifying Resort reservations. All Resort reservations and modifications—including your party size—must be completed by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on July 28, 2024. Modifications to your Resort reservation party size after July 28, 2024 will not increase your party size for the event.

https://dvcfan.com/2024/01/09/dvc-quietly-and-vaguely-changes-moonlight-magic-registration-rules/

"a qualifying stay is now only considered to be a DVC room stay with points, a DVC room stay with cash booked directly through Member Services, or a Disney hotel stay booked with points using the exchange program through member services"
“Reports have even been shared with us that Member Service agents let upset members on the phone know they were putting in tickets for the IT team to fix the language so that it’s clearly understood.”

Since when is IT responsible for composing written statements on Disney policy? Way to deflect:sad2:

Regardless, whether this is on Marketing or a third party; this isn’t the the first time Disney has been confusing and vague in their announcements.

Today’s snafu could’ve easily been avoided if they’d only have made it a priority by now to be clear & concise in their communications as to policy changes.

That said, congrats to all who did secure this hot ticket! It’s truly a fun-filled evening and appreciate gesture from DVC. Enjoy

Also, there might be a 25% discount from the non-member cash rate for members booking a DVC resort through MS, depending on availability. We have done this multiple times to add a VB stay in January after a WDW points stay. The January point chart for VB seems out of sync with the cash rates at the resort. I think the points chart was created when DVC thought there would be a lot of snowbird demand for beach resort stays in the winter, but in practice the resort was under booked. The cash rates reflected the actual demand more accurately. Of course, post-Covid, the demand for all the DVC resorts seems to have ramped up, so cash rate discounts may not be as available any longer.

Ok...but part two of that is that I JUST booked that SSR night LAST week...well beyond the cutoff date. However the other reservation (at AoA) was booked back in October! So maybe there was some weird rule applied...or maybe I'm still at risk. I guess I'll know....eventually?

Anyway we have APs so if it gets cancelled it's all good...we will still be going to the parks.
The cut off date was the 7th, did you book SSR after that?

Man I swear they make things more difficult on themselves sometimes. Is it really worth all the time and hassle to change something and then cause this much micro reading of word after word. If it was in the past keep it or completely just get rid of the perk. Don't make some new stupid little word change which changes the meaning and then cause all kinda discussion and phone calls and issues. It's obvious they don't want to have perks anymore so just get rid of everything. If DVC is "so great" it will still sell itself without the "perks". Sorry just where i'm at on everything Disney lately. Little by little it is going.

Just burn the whole house down and be done with it. Pick up the pieces left.

IDK just seems very odd they’d bury such an integral change in terms :scratchin

“When staying using their Membership with Vacation Points, Reservation Points or cash, Members who booked a qualifying Resort reservation by the cutoff date will have access to early or general event registration and can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s).”

JMHO but, I interpret it as eligible members can attempt to book if staying on-site using any of the three following methods:

Vacation points, reservation points or cash

I’ve read multiple posts here & on FB pro & con. Guess we’ll find out soon enoughpopcorn::

Last thing DVC & Disney World needs is bad PR from not clearly stating any changes in past protocols earlier. Members shouldn’t have to interpret convoluted phrasing
‘When staying using their membership’ is the key phrase I think … when I book a cash room thru the Disney website I don’t think I am ‘using my membership’ I am just doing the way all non DVC members do it … sucks if it was ok in the past though

Man I swear they make things more difficult on themselves sometimes. Is it really worth all the time and hassle to change something and then cause this much micro reading of word after word. If it was in the past keep it or completely just get rid of the perk. Don't make some new stupid little word change which changes the meaning and then cause all kinda discussion and phone calls and issues. It's obvious they don't want to have perks anymore so just get rid of everything. If DVC is "so great" it will still sell itself without the "perks". Sorry just where i'm at on everything Disney lately. Little by little it is going.

Just burn the whole house down and be done with it. Pick up the pieces left.
I’d say the opposite … just let everyone in and if that makes it too crowded for some then they don’t have to go … it’s a free event so nothing lost

I’d say the opposite … just let everyone in and if that makes it too crowded for some then they don’t have to go … it’s a free event so nothing lost

Except it’s not free for DVD…they give out food and drinks that they pay for at the event.

I honestly think it’s a good thing. There are more members who want to go and making it so those who booked using their membership is fair. Someone has to be left out.

Except it’s not free for DVD…they give out food and drinks that they pay for at the event.

I honestly think it’s a good thing. There are more members who want to go and making it so those who booked using their membership is fair. Someone has to be left out.
Yeah I get it costs $ but honestly for what we paid for the points and continue to pay in fees I don’t think a few extra ice cream bars and cartons of popcorn will bankrupt DVD …… Free the Members!!

Yeah I get it costs $ but honestly for what we paid for the points and continue to pay in fees I don’t think a few extra ice cream bars and cartons of popcorn will bankrupt DVD …… Free the Members!!

Fees have nothing to do with it. I only say that so no one reading thinks dues are used in anyway. It can be a common misconception for new owners.

Fees have nothing to do with it. I only say that so no one reading thinks dues are used in anyway. It can be a common misconception for new owners.
Ok …. but a few extra Mickey bars and some popcorn still isn’t gonna bankrupt dvd … there is no good reason not to allow any member that wants to go to go … never been to one Mar 1 will be our first God willing

From what I've gathered: some people were booking "throw away" rooms to get into MM. They got into MM and then cancelled the cash reservation. So DVC isn't dumb. By forcing people to use points, most of us don't have the option to cancel, put points into holding.. and all that stuff. As with all things MM... may the force be with you.

From what I've gathered: some people were booking "throw away" rooms to get into MM. They got into MM and then cancelled the cash reservation. So DVC isn't dumb. By forcing people to use points, most of us don't have the option to cancel, put points into holding.. and all that stuff. As with all things MM... may the force be with you.
If they cancelled the cash booking, the Moonlight Magic reservation would be cancelled automatically. The cash booking gave them more flexibility because they could still cancel without consequence if they didn't get it 5+ days out from the event. Realistically it's better for owners and Disney as well.

Owners who are actually staying on property using their points are more likely to be able to attend Moonlight Magic and for Disney, less people cancelling their reservations as a result of not being able to attend Moonlight Magic.

What is the current situation for members who have both “qualified” and not qualified memberships? I have grandfathered resale BWV points and new resale SSR points. in the future will I only be eligible if I book using my BWV points, or will my DVC-Y status allow me to use SSR points?

What is the current situation for members who have both “qualified” and not qualified memberships? I have grandfathered resale BWV points and new resale SSR points. in the future will I only be eligible if I book using my BWV points, or will my DVC-Y status allow me to use SSR points?
Both should be allowed. I had the same questions because I have a purely resale membership that does not qualify and a DVC-Y membership but as it was explained to me if you book with either, you should still be eligible. Whether or not that’s changed with this new update I am not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter