Noise sensitivities

monymeier

Earning My Ears
OK, I know most of WDW is loud, but what is to the extreme? My DS, who will be almost 5 when we go, has PDD-NOS and is sensitive to loud noise. He will usually just hold his ears and get through it but I didn't want to go to something that would put him over the edge.

Is there a good guidebook that explains this?

Would the Rainforest Cafe be too much?

Thanks!!

We just got back from WDW last week. My son, 8, has high-functioning autism, did have some trouble with the noise and the crowds. My advice? Get the Guest Assistance Card right away! We didn't get it until after a difficult day at MGM. It will make your day run a lot smoother. Also, buy those foam ear plugs. He will still be able to hear but it will be less intense.
My son's favourite attractions (like It's a Small World) were those he could see what was coming before it surprised him. After his complaints about having taken him on Pirates of the Caribbean, we kept our choices very tame.
If you'd like advice on specific attractions, please feel free to send me a PM.
Night Owl

Fireworks are a no-go..our twins are 6 and are "on the Sprectrum")...and noise is a big issue for them...Cinderella's surprise Celebration at the MK ends with a few fireworks...SURPRISE!! :rolleyes: Thank Goodness we were at the back of the Crowd!!:D

Lots of the shows are loud as well, however, the CM's are REALLY great about helping everyone enjoy the show...Circle of Life movie at the Land was something one of our boys really wanted to see...the CM stood by the door with me so we could bolt if we had to...yes, it was LOUD...but he really felt reassured that he had a quick exit if it got to be too much...

As far as Wishes...watch from the Beach at the Polynesian, or get PS for O'hana that evening, they pipe the music in (I did'n't know that until our DisFriends here filled me in!!Thaks guys!) It was amazing!!

So happy planning!!PM me anytime!!:sunny:

the thunderstorm noises can be a little disconcerting...but browse around the shop for a little while first...what do you know!!;) in about 17 minutes there will be another one!! This should give you an idea of how he is with the noise and the animal noises...

Tell the staff and I'm sure they will be more than accomodating!!

:sunny:

This site has some good info and hints on visting WDW with people with noise sensitivities or sensory issues.

My ds has noise issues as well. He has Aspergers and a fear and anxiety disorder. The Rain Forest Cafe nearly ruined our entire trip, he was very afraid. There were alot of sounds going on all the time as well as the occasional thunder storm. I think it depends on the child. He's okay with the fireworks, etc as long as he covers his ears. I think I am going to invest this year in a headphone type thingy like what a factory worker would use to drown out noise....

The important thing is to let your child set the pace, whenever we go I know it won't be our last visit. We also go in slower seasons and try to go longer than a week to give him adjustment time.

We used to have to be inside an attraction whenever a parade, fireworks, etc. were anticipated. Even some of the music at live attractions was too much. We took my son to buy the kind of earmuffs that people use when they shoot. Can be bought at sporting goods stores. He immediately started to stay for everything. He was in control. The muffs fold and can be attached to a belt or backpack to get to easily. They block out all the startling noises, but allow him to "hear" whats going on around him pretty well.

My daughter who is now 8, nearly 9 has very sensative ears, although no disability, but I always carry some industrial grade foam earplugs for her, as she finds even some of the show sound painfull. Works a treat and she can even pretend that she can't hear me telling her it's time to go!!

My son who is on the high functioning spectrum was 6 last year when we went for the first time, I was a little skeptical about the crowds and noises, however I had read on this board that disney is a place of magic, and sure enough my son had a blast, he is very sensitive to loud noises about 50% of the time and the other times doesn't bother him, however at disney we went in Oct. when the crowds are low to he done great, he didn't mind waiting in lines for rides or shows, however the first 3D show did frighten him a little but just to where he had to sit on my lap, and then I took his glasses off so that it would not look as if it was coming at him, after that the other shows went just fine. My only problem is getting him to eat, he is very picky and the only thing in the place he liked was plain hotdogs or cheese pizza, and also the mickey pretzels, most of the time he was to excited to eat. Also we would go early and stay til around 4 or 5 and go back to the room and then come back at night for the fireworks . However some kids do better with a lunch time break back to the room. One more thing as with most spectrum kids, they all like trains, or that has been my experience, my son could not get enough of the Walt Disney Railroad or the mona rail, these are great things to do to get a break, jump on and ride. Good Luck I am sure you will have a wonderful time, and maybe your son will bring home some magic, my son came home with about 100 new words in his vocabulary.::yes:: :wave2: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We just got back from a trip with a 4-year-old who is noise sensitive. We got some ear muffs from the link below and they worked great! She would let us know right away if she needed them and they made her much happier about being in high-noise situations. She seemed to be very comfortable in them, too. She even used them in the line for some of the rides (Pooh especially) because she found the music volume to be too much. The ear muffs weren't too big for the backpack, either.

Hope this helps someone else!!

http://www.sensorycomfort.com/noise.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter