No WOC, possibly no Matterhorn, what's next??

tiffer66

Earning My Ears
I need help guys! My dh and I are coming to DL for our 30th anniversary Sep 29 thru Oct 4. We are not big Halloween fans so a party doesn't really appeal to us. I realized that the 2nd of October is a party day - so I said no problem we will go to the WOC dessert party. Then I obviously found out WOC is down indefinitely. Now I read today that the Matterhorn may also be down. :headache: I am very concerned about the holiday overlay for HM and Pirates. Please tell me that those rides will still be up! I live on the East Coast and go to WDW about every 5 years so this is my only opportunity to go to DL ever!!!

TIA
Tiffany

I need help guys! My dh and I are coming to DL for our 30th anniversary Sep 29 thru Oct 4. We are not big Halloween fans so a party doesn't really appeal to us. I realized that the 2nd of October is a party day - so I said no problem we will go to the WOC dessert party. Then I obviously found out WOC is down indefinitely. Now I read today that the Matterhorn may also be down. :headache: I am very concerned about the holiday overlay for HM and Pirates. Please tell me that those rides will still be up! I live on the East Coast and go to WDW about every 5 years so this is my only opportunity to go to DL ever!!!

TIA
Tiffany
Haunted Mansion will be up mid-Sept. Pirates should be up. Matterhorn should be up. WOC sadly will be down for a while. At first they were hoping for mid-Aug, but latest news is sounding more like Nov. It isn't like it was planned to be down.

I hope you can enjoy your trip anyway.

Halloween starts September 7th this year, so the Halloween overlays will already be up for Haunted Mansion, Guardians (after dark only), Space Mountain, Luigis and Mater's.

Looking at the rehab schedule, The Tiki Room may also be down. And if you want to do small world, go on it at the beginning of your trip, as around the first of October is when it usually goes down for it's holiday overlay.

You can always see the most current rehab lists at: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan.htm#rehab

Disneyland seems to be very aggressive this year with their rehabs and they really need to, as they are going to need all the capacity they can get when Galaxy's Edge opens.

It is possible both Matterhorn and World of Color will be back up and running by the tine you go. But if World of Color isn't running, then chances are Paint the Night will be and you could do the dessert party for it.

My advice: Unless you'd cancel your trip because of these closed rides, try not to worry about it.

Stuff happens. My last trip (with a first-timer), RSR was down the entire time. It was disappointing, but there's enough other stuff that it was just a minor blip. This stuff is only as big a deal as you let it become.

Frankly, if you are going Oct 1 and there are only two things down, that would be awesome. Usually there are more and there will likely be more announced before then. The prime time for refurbs in second week of January through as many months as it take. Second prime time is right after Labor Day.

This may help you get a better picture: "Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

:wizard:

Frankly, if you are going Oct 1 and there are only two things down, that would be awesome. Usually there are more and there will likely be more announced before then. The prime time for refurbs in second week of January through as many months as it take. Second prime time is right after Labor Day.

This may help you get a better picture: "Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

:wizard:
Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but is there a similar thread for Disney World? I have been looking, but can't find it.

Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but is there a similar thread for Disney World? I have been looking, but can't find it.
You will need to ask there. My experience is WDW does not adhere as closely as DLR does to trying to keep refurbs to certain seasons. They seem to just happen whenever to some degree.

Unfortunately no one can promise you that. It’s entirely possible other rides will be down then, honestly I’m surprised Disneyland has been giving so much heads up on these refurbs recently. We can tell you Disneyland Resort has more rides than all 4 WDW theme parks combined so you will be able to stay plenty busy! Also, look into our Fantasmic if it’s running when you’re there, I hear ours is a bit different from WDW. PTN is beautiful, you could always do a PTN Carthay package instead of the WOC dessert party. You’ll get a full meal at a beautiful restaurant and seats for the night parade for like $20 more.

... try not to worry about it... This stuff is only as big a deal as you let it become.

This is so true and very good advice. The Disney magic is everywhere throughout the parks and is absolutely not dependent on any one ride, attraction, show, restaurant, shop, etc. Keep a positive attitude and keep your eyes open to see the magic all around you (and it can happen when and where you least expect it!) . That's the way to have a great trip, no matter what happens. Have a wonderful anniversary celebration!

Matterhorn should be up.

I wouldn't bet on that. The page for the ride on the DL website says:

Beginning July 30, 2018, Matterhorn Bobsleds will be closed for refurbishment, with a planned reopening in Fall 2018. Check back here for updates.

It does not say when in Fall, and late September/early October is only the beginning of Fall.

This is so true and very good advice. The Disney magic is everywhere throughout the parks and is absolutely not dependent on any one ride, attraction, show, restaurant, shop, etc. Keep a positive attitude and keep your eyes open to see the magic all around you (and it can happen when and where you least expect it!) . That's the way to have a great trip, no matter what happens. Have a wonderful anniversary celebration!

I agree, when we went in January they had the walls up on main street and I was so worried it would ruin the magic as you walked in. I was taking someone with me who had never been before and you know it was fine. Of course she didn't know what she was missing so that made it a little easier but we had a blast. Every trip something is down, I'm a little sad about missing matterhorn and haunted mansion this trip and I love to sit and cool down in watch the Tiki show but maybe I will find something new to do instead..

Something is always down for refurbishment and other rides regularly break down every time I’ve been to Disneyland. You just have to go with the flow and ride something else. It’s a bummer but can still have a great time! It’s just a thing that happens that you can’t control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter