NO, we are NOT too old! :)

jodyb

DIS Veteran
Well, we got back last night and I'm still on that Disney "high"... and don't want it to end… so I'm going to write a trip report as a way of reliving the magic, and also a way of giving back to the DIS – it’s given me so much!

Who: Myself and DH (we are not officially married but I call us H and W and since we are in our 60's we can do whatever-we-want-so-there.)

Why: This trip was for the purpose of celebrating the 3rd anniversary of our first date!!! It's been three amazing and wonderful years and the day deserved some serious "marking". We were both married before, have 5 kids (now all adults) between us, and I'm expecting my first grandchild this Christmas. We live somewhere in the frozen North, and *I* absolutely adore WDW and have been there (and at Disneyland Paris) too many trips to count – most of those trips were with my youngest daughter who is now 23 and shares my Disney obsession. DH and I are both still working (He is a manufacturing manager and I run a free-lance writing and info business that I can pretty much take anywhere I can bring my laptop and phone ☺) We travel a lot (well, I travel more because Tom has limited vacation – but we do manage to get around!)

I did all the planning... and I decided on All Star Music because it's where my travel agent found us a free dining offer for the day we wanted to arrive! It sounded like too good a deal to pass up. I’ve stayed at all levels of accommodations over the years – including Yacht Club Concierge (now called Club Level I guess), Contemporary and Grand Floridian, several moderates, each of the All Stars, and various off-site hotels – and I can very honestly say, I see good and bad points in every single one of them. There is no perfect place to stay and I would go back to absolutely any one of them happily. For this trip, ASMu was the only one offering free dining during the time of our trip, so I grabbed it.

Well, then came the planning – which I absolutely LOVE… and this time it was really fun and challenging since it’s been a couple of years since my last trip and this would be my first experience with MDE and Magic Bands! I was excited! As soon as our Magic Bands arrived, I went out and bought some metallic nail polish (pink) and started painting mine… well… I got half way through and realized I didn’t know what I was doing… and picked up both bands (Tom’s blue one and my pink now sort of painted one) and brought them to my manicurist. I told her to have at them and make them fun – the only direction being that Tom’s should look masculine and mine should look bling-y. She did a great job! I posted photos on the MB decoration thread… will try to post here later.

Then I tackled MDE and I liked it!! The new FP+ seemed a bit daunting, and I didn’t understand the logic of it at first… but I ended up liking the new system very much! (Lots more on that later).

I found a pretty good airfare and snapped that up – leaving early Sat. Nov. 1 and returning late Thursday Nov. 6. It was only a few days until our 60 day window opened for choosing fast passes, so I started researching like crazy. This was a whole new World!!!

Lots and lots of planning and changing and planning and changing and more planning and changing later… it was finally HERE!!! We live about an hour from the airport and would be driving in the middle of the night on rural roads to get there for our 5:55 AM flight, and we do this a lot so no big deal… BUT… then they started forecasting SNOW for that night and I decided we should stay in a hotel near the airport Friday night. That way we could sleep a little later, have just a quick shuttle ride to the airport in the snow rather than driving ourselves for an hour… AND… if any dreaded cancelations or delays occurred we’d be at the hotel rather than hanging at the airport… so… we had a great night at the Doubletree and sure enough, bright and early, there was no snow at all, but our flight was delayed anyway because the plane needed a battery change! I was really nervous the whole two hours we waited to take off… worried we’d miss our connection in Newark which would mean we’d get to Orlando later which would mean we’d miss EMH at MK that night!! NO……..!!

As it turned out, all was well. We had a pretty long layover in Newark so the delay just ate into that and we to our connection exactly on time – and arrived in Orlando 10 minutes early! YAY!!!

Our Florida Tours driver was waiting for us at baggage claim with a Town Car to whisk us quickly to ASMu. We didn’t have any baggage to claim… we managed to pack for the 5 nights in carry-on luggage and I was really glad because the baggage hadn’t even started coming down from our flight when we were already on the way out to the curb where our car awaited! As we left the airport our driver pointed out the HUGE CROWD waiting to board the “Magical Express”. O.M.G.!!! That looked anything BUT magical. (And anything but “express” for that matter, too…) I was SO glad we’d ordered the town car!! Only 45 minutes after landing we were checking in at the resort!

CHECKING IN – DOES ONLINE CHECK-IN HELP?

During my two months of planning I’d read several threads here on the DIS about online check-in, getting your special room requests, and other issues with respect to checking in. Here is what I now know from our experience:

There was a dedicated line at the check-in counter at the resort for Online Check-in. We got in that line. We were called to the counter by the first available CM when we got to the front of that line. The same CMs helped the online and the other guests. There was NO DIFFERENCE as to the abilities of the CMs helping the online people versus everyone else. Really. Some people have said that if you have special requests (such as king sized bed, or special location or whatever) you should NOT check in online. This is nonsense. Checking in online ONLY means that you have input some of the information and this expedites the process when you arrive. I asked if we’d been given the king sized bed we requested, and we had, however it was on the second floor facing the pool, and I had requested ground or 3rd floor, facing away from the pool (for quiet). The CM simply called the room people (forgot the official name of their job, sorry) and asked that we be switched and we were lucky – there WAS a 3rd floor room available facing away from the pool. There would have been absolutely no difference in this process had we not done online check-in. So I hope that puts that question to rest for some people. It’s not “rude” to ask if your requests have been met or even to ask for a change while you are checking in, even if you are in the “online check-in” line. Having done online check-in does NOT mean that you have signed away on any and all changes or anything else that a CM can do for you.

Okay, so off we went to the room. It was your basic All Stars room. Perfectly adequate and there isn’t really any more to say about that (unless you have questions, in which case of course I’d be glad to answer.)

We hadn’t eaten since breakfast and it was pushing 4 PM by now, so we walked over to the food court at AS Sports to pick up our refillable mugs (free as part of our package) and grab something to eat. Not a magical experience. The food court was almost empty, and yet we waited and waited and waited for our burgers and fries. Finally got them, and they were tasteless and just … well.. bad! But we ate because we were starved, and got ice cream cones to eat on the walk back to Music.

I almost forgot to mention that November 1 was COLD in Florida!!! More on that later. And yes, we eat ice cream in any and all weather…

So.. back at the room, we unpacked, and then fell into bed, setting the alarm for 8 PM.

GOOD thing we had that nap!!! The plan was to hit MK and last until EMH ended at 2 AM! We bundled up (and I mean really bundled up – I had my silk long underwear top under a sweatshirt and a pretty heavy jacket and Tom had his under a t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, hoodie, and windbreaker! And we were still cold! ☺) On the way to the ASMu lobby at 8:30 PM to ask the doorman to call us a taxi, we stopped at the store so I could buy a hat. I had forgotten to bring one down front he frozen North LOL... found a nice one, bought it and put it on, and then on to the Contemporary resort. We told the driver we were really going to the MK and he dropped us right at the walkway – it was perfect. We walked over to MK and wow, it’s so much fun using the MBs to enter the park (you can tell it doesn’t take much to excite me LOL)! Main Street at night!!!! My absolutel favorite !!! The MSEP was going on as we arrived. We knew we’d be seeing the second parade so we just sort of ducked behind the throngs lined up along Main Street and took in the fun music and happy atmosphere as we walked toward the castle area. We went through the stores, sort of weaving in and out of the sidewalk area. In the candy store I found a wonderful Tinkerbell mug. I told Tom – “I’m buying this now!” – because I know from experience that if you say “I’ll see this somewhere else later in the vacation”… you never do, and you regret not buying what you like the minute you see it! So I purchased it and had it sent back to the resort so as not to have to carry it around. When we got to the Plaza ice cream parlor the lines were pretty short (parade was still moving around the area) and we grabbed some cones (yes, second ones that day… this would be a pattern ☺) For some reason I've always loved that ice cream on Main Street! Tom said "You know you can get Edy's ice cream at the grocery store..." I KNOW I can!! But still... :)
So far we've used a counter service credit each for dinner at ASSp, and a snack at the ice cream parlor. Magic band working perfectly. Love it!
When the parade ended we grabbed some spots for WISHES, which was going to start in 45 minutes. Perfect spot right in front of the ice cream parlor. Celebrate the Magic was lovely, and WISHES was amazing, as always. These were both firsts for Tom and he was very impressed! Next… Haunted Mansion - a 10 minutes stand-by line. Now it was almost time for the 11 PM parade. We had FP+ for that parade but could tell by how empty Frontierland was that we would not need them. The difference between the THRONGS of humanity that had lined MS for the first parade, and the quiet, lovely atmosphere of Frontierland 2 hours later was HUGE! So we just hung out there and watched the parade with the smattering of other people. The parade was so much fun, as usual. For me, the best part is the fun uplifting music. Yes, it repeats itself over and over again… but hey, did I mention fun and uplifting????

After the parade we fell in behind it and followed it to its end near Splash Mountain and then we continued walking to BTMR. Very short standby line – a walk on actually – SO much fun at night! Next, on to Tomorrowland! Tom’s first time on Space Mountain! No lines – it’s approaching midnight now… and very cold! Most of the families with very young kids have exited by now – it’s just too cold for extra magic hours until 2 AM for a lot of people. This is not to say the park emptied out… but there were no real lines for anything except 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. We waited about 30 minutes for that. This would be the longest line of our entire vacation. We went on Dumbo! That’s right.. two 60-somethings on Dumbo. I loved it! Fantasyland in the middle of the night is really lovely! And 2 AM on Main Street?? Nothing like it! I was in heaven!! Tom enjoyed it too! We caught the bus back to the resort and fell into bed like bricks at around 2:45… alarm set for 8:30 …

Tune in for tomorrow... we go to DTD for House of Blues Brunch, and on to Epcot...
Happy to answer any questions. Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

NEVER too old for Disney! DH and I are a bit younger (not much) and we both LOVE Disney! We went on our honeymoon in 1977 (just the MK then). We took our 2 children (adults now) in 1994 for a once in a lifetime trip. lol Went back several times in the next 10 yrs. with both kids and at least 5 times just the two of us!!

Enjoying your report and looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

Another Vermonter here :wave2:
I live outside of Rutland.

Enjoying your trip report.
My husband and I are hoping to get to Disney in a few years. We are in our 50's and he has never been. I agree, never to old for Disney.

Looking forward to reading more.

Michele

So.. we went to bed around 3 AM and set the alarm for 8:30 in order to get to DTD in time for the brunch - we had tickets for the 10:30 brunch at House of Blues. It wasn't until that alarm went off and we DID get up, had showers, got dressed, and were all ready to go that I realized... oops... we forgot to "fall back"!!! We could have slept another hour (and we needed that sleep!)... the clocks changed - DST ended during the night... sigh... okay, what's done is done and we're up. So off we went to DTD a little early figuring we'd just "walk around" until it was time for the brunch. Well... because of the construction in DTD and the cold weather and wind, "walking around" really wasn't that enjoyable.. so we just found a sunny spot and stood and waited for the box office to open so we could collect our tickets. They opened the doors to the venue at exactly 10:30. On a scale of 1 to 10, the House of Blues Gospel Brunch is (IMHO) about a 4. The only reason its not lower is the food, which is a nice spread and includes mimosas, good coffee, lots of choices of hot breakfast offerings. Not a gourmet breakfast but definitely enjoyable. The entertainment, however, had potential but did not meet it. I was really disappointed. The music didn't start until after 11:30, and it was over-amplified rock n roll with just a kinda sorta gospel theme (not really) which would have been fine, actually, if only it had been GOOD!! Which is was not. They were out of tune and just plain hard to listen to. I actually covered my ears during a couple of songs... sigh... oh well. Just not at all what I expected. I love drums and electric guitars as much as the next person if they are done well, and the if the vocalists had been a little bit talented, I'm sure we'd have enjoyed it even if it wasn't what we were expecting... The last 15 minutes were the best - they asked who in the audience could sing and four guests went up to the stage. THEY could sing!!! Unfortunately they each sang for about 20 seconds... LOL.. So.. would I recommend that brunch? I guess so. It's not terribly expensive, it's fun and upbeat, the food is pretty good, all you can eat ... just don't expect some really quality music, and certainly don't expect a gospel choir. Oh, and don't get there early - the doors open at the dot of 10:30.

So next - on to Epcot. We took a taxi from DTD and arrived around 1 PM and went straight onto Spaceship Earth (another first for Tom. I don't know if I mentioned this, but I have been to WDW about 15 times over the years, but Tom's only trip was 30 years ago and he really didn't do much that time since he and his ex-wife had their two toddlers with them...he barely had any memory of Epcot) After the ride we spent some time sending our "postcards from the future" to our kids and friends. I really do love that last part of the ride where they incorporate your photo into the program. I'm a sucker for cutesie things like that. There was still time until our FP+ for Soarin' so we went on the Imagination ride with Figment, and Living with the Land. Both were walk-ons essentially. (Is it just me, or is Living with the Land a veiled add for GMO's? I hope not... but for sure they are advocating fish farming.. sigh... I think that was my last time on that ride. Depressing.) Then.. finally... the one I've been waiting for and telling Tom about ad infinitum! SOARIN'!!! Yup. He loved it. And for me, even the 20th time or so - it was still amazing. We spent the rest of the afternoon in Future World doing everything else except Test Track. We even enjoyed the "kiddie" things in the Seas pavilion. We saw Turtle Talk - what a cute show! We spent some time looking at the aquariums and went on the Nemo ride. Enjoyed all of it! Everything in Future World had very short lines (except Soarin', for which we used a FP, and TT for which we had a FP for the next day so it was the only thing we skipped). By the time we got out of Ellen's Energy Adventure, it was time for our dinner reservation in Mexico, so we walked over to the country side.. wow - the crowds were much thicker over there! it was the last week of the Food and Wine Festival, and clearly that side of the park was more of a draw. We headed straight for Mexico to LaHacienda.

We LOVED LaHacienda! The food was excellent!! Definitely recommend it over the other Mexican restaurant (San Angel, inside the pavilion). I had a fabulous Margarita and the Talapia and Tom had some kind of beef dish and some kind of wine- sorry don't remember - but they were both very very good. We were given a corner table by the window with a lovely view of the lagoon as the sun went down... just delightful. Service was excellent. We were really too full for dessert, but since it comes with our dining plan, we "had to" get some, right? :) We shared the apple turnover (very good, but not very many apples!), and we asked them to pack up a serving of chocolate mousse to go. By the time we finished dinner it was about 8 PM... we could have waited around an hour for Illuminations but we were so exhausted... between getting up so early on our travel day, and being at EMH at the MK until 2 AM.. well.. it was time to go back to the hotel and crash, LOL... we got on the bus back to ASMu and were sound asleep before 10.

We had a GREAT day - full and fun!!

Tomorrow - a full day in Epcot (countries), Beaches and Cream, Marrakesh...

Sounds like fun ! DH and I were there last week, when it was warm :). We are mid-late 50 married 9 years. I took him there for his 1st visit on our Honeymoon, now it's 2-3 times a year! I've got at least 25 trips behind me. DH loves it too and we are having a blast! Looking forward to your trip report P.S. Love Vermont. I used to go to Manchester every month for work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter