• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No thread about the handle-less mugs?

I like the handles.

Just wondering, are they selling at the same price (while being cheaper to make)?

I vote for the handle too. Have used tumblers but always end up dropping them because of the lack of a handle. Seriously, Disney, have a kind heart for the klutzes and offer the handle-option too!!

Another who thinks they should offer both. I like the idea of it fitting better in the stroller, but after a day in the parks when DH goes to fill the mugs, it will be harder to carry multiple mugs without the handle. Plus, the handle is nice for hot beverages. Not sure what they were thinking, but hopefully they will rethink and go to some with handles and some without.

I keep one mug at work as an emergency coffe cup but other than that I don't use them as the don't fit in the carrier on my bag and I can only use them in my car if there is nothing in the second holder.

I am firmly in Camp NO Handles.

On the other hand I have a water park mug with a handle that I use all the time as a water mug at home. It does not go in the car as it does not fit the holder at all so I don't mind the handle.

As long as they don't go to the peg shaped ones I am fine. The slight taper of the current mugs I can deal with but I hate the ones that are huge on top and then half way down you lose half the diamater.

Is this only at Saratoga (as the link in the OP says)? Any idea when it will roll out to the rest of the resorts?

I'm in the rather unique situation where I'm getting 2x mugs per person this trip (split stay starting tomorrow) and i would LOVE to get a set of the left over handled version (I'm the drink carry guy) on our 1st stay (AKL) then grab a set of the non handle ones for home on stay #2 (BLT/CR).

I know the handles come in huge when I need to rack 4 mugs...but the non-handles would fit in all the important places at home sooooooo much better.

Com'on disney...hook a brotha up...just this one time!! :)

Is this only at Saratoga (as the link in the OP says)? Any idea when it will roll out to the rest of the resorts?

I'm in the rather unique situation where I'm getting 2x mugs per person this trip (split stay starting tomorrow) and i would LOVE to get a set of the left over handled version (I'm the drink carry guy) on our 1st stay (AKL) then grab a set of the non handle ones for home on stay #2 (BLT/CR).

I know the handles come in huge when I need to rack 4 mugs...but the non-handles would fit in all the important places at home sooooooo much better.

Com'on disney...hook a brotha up...just this one time!! :)

Only Saratoga for the moment.

I love the handles. The mug fits just fine in our stroller cup holder, and once we get back form our trip they fit just fine in our car cup holders. I really hope the handled ones are available in Sept. I know they are testing them so far, but I am not wanting to change to a cup just yet.

thanks...that's actually good to know b/c I know my wife will want the handled ones. So we can grab those at AKL (resort 1 tomorrow) and then by the time we make it to BLT/CR if they dont have them, we can wait it out or hop to Saratoga to get the others.

Normally I wouldn't go out of my way to get the mugs, but being our 1st resort mugs are still good for 14-days after check out of resort 1 (as far as I have read), then i'm not in any rush to NEED the 2nd set. But w/o the handles, I can actually use these guys at home now!!

adding...although i'm not a hug fan of that handle-less artwork. I see it has the road sign on it for OKW, SS and CB. I would only assume that they will be making ones for other resort groupings? (and hopefully with a different illustration)

Or am I just missing it?

Interesting decision....I know a lot of people carry them into the parks and fill them with water. (I don't, too much hassle)

Thoughts?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...-resort-refillable-mugs-at-walt-disney-world/

The article you linked to includes a link to a thread that has been talking about this for the last week.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/refillable-mug-faq-new.3437666/page-21

I think I prefer handles most of the time, but aside from saving production costs, more will fit in shipping boxes and on shelves, so more money saved there. Am sure it was an economics decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start selling the slip on handles like Tervis have for those who want them.

harley-davidson-tervis-tumbler-handle-fits-16-oz-mugs-black

Last edited:
Another reason to love being a DVC member. We bring our own drinks and stock the fridge (and those don't have handles anyway). No need to worry about Handle-gate.
We bring our own drinks too. (Also DVC)

But hubby likes to take the mugs to work. So about half the time, we buy the mugs.

Hmmm...I'm such a cynic these days.

Disney is probably saving 1 cent a cup and saving 2.5 refills per cup per visit because People cant transport 4 tumblers very easily. So a grand total of 1.5 cent.
1.5 cents (made up number) x 2 million cups (made up number) =30000 savings.

Darn you disney for making me think this way. Lol But there is probably some truth it.

For the record I am pro handle. So much easier to hold. Much nicer for hot beverages too.

Disney is probably saving 1 cent a cup and saving 2.5 refills per cup per visit because People cant transport 4 tumblers very easily. So a grand total of 1.5 cent.

Darn you disney for making me think this way. Lol But there is probably some truth it.

For the record I am pro handle. So much easier to hold. Much nicer for hot beverages too.

Don't forget increased shelf capacity. And while I'm not going to try and calculate it, I'm sure someone figured out how much money it saved in stockroom space and less need for a CM to be restocking the shelves and/or condensing to free up a shelf for other sellable items.

just thinking of all the seemingly small possible motives.

Don't forget increased shelf capacity. And while I'm not going to try and calculate it, I'm sure someone figured out how much money it saved in stockroom space and less need for a CM to be restocking the shelves and/or condensing to free up a shelf for other sellable items.

just thinking of all the seemingly small possible motives.

Someone upthread also mentioned how they can probably be shipped 8 or 10 to a box as opposed to 6 to 8. Etc. (edited because I just noticed the thread post above about shipping more cup per box!)

So many miserly options to think about haha.

Last edited:

There is a very easy solution to your problem. Don't buy the mugs.

And I don't mean to be rude. But I wonder if people complain this much when something else in their life changes.

This is simply a change. A change that some people will love and some won't. That's life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter