No the Magic isn’t gone but it’s at 25%

The zig zagging Made it nearly impossible for my parents who are in their 70s and my daughter who is recently recovering from a broken ankle. That probably also significantly dampened our experience, in addition to not being able to plan, which I was used to doing for Disney.

Also I did get a survey after our first day and it took me 30 minutes to get through the first half, it is unbearably long, and then they asked if I wanted to continue and I said no because I didn’t wanna waste my vacation filling out a damn survey.

To the poster that said that Disneyland valued their locals you know they recently discontinued annual passes in California too, Annual pass holders felt so valued in California they filed a lawsuit against Disney because annal pass days were so limited.

Last edited:
This trip has been our worst ever. Genie plus has been a waste of money everywhere but MK. It’s glitched and canceled things and we got less than 3 rides at both Epcot and. DHS. They’d be better off doing paid lightening lane than this. It has put me in a horrible mood every day of what is supposed to be a fun vacation. They won’t be getting my money again my time soon.
Well I was going to write similar. Got back from a long Memorial Day weekend Monday night.. on whole the trip was ok. But to quote a podcaster of another show, Genie Plus is a failure. 4th time using it now, slow, ineffective, wasteful. We were there four days and only got some benefit out of it once. We have had countless good times at Disney but nearly as frequently as we once did.

I am pretty much out of luck, as I don't have a cell phone. That's OK, though, I'll manage standby on my own. What is astounding to me, though, is the $$$ people are willing to spend. Haven't you already spent a bundle for park tickets, and now to be able to get on any of the "bigger" rides you have to spend even more, not get to pick the times, run around the parks like crazy, have to add on park hopping for much of this to work? I mean... really? And to get extra evening hours, one now has to stay at a deluxe resort. Yes, deluxe resorts cost more, but you GET more than you do at values. Beautiful lobbies, larger rooms, increased in-room amenities, concierge services, interior corridors, full service restaurants, spectacular pools- that's what you pay for when you stay deluxe. But now you get extra magic evening hours, too- which were always my favorite times to be in the parks. Sigh.

This trip has been our worst ever. Genie plus has been a waste of money everywhere but MK. It’s glitched and canceled things and we got less than 3 rides at both Epcot and. DHS. They’d be better off doing paid lightening lane than this. It has put me in a horrible mood every day of what is supposed to be a fun vacation. They won’t be getting my money again my time soon.

Don’t know what was happening with you, but we just got back from a week there and stacked Genie+ the entire time. We went on everything except for maybe 3-5 rides (Mission Space, Frozen singalong, and Rock n Rollercoaster), and that was primarily because we went with a large group that didn’t want to do those things. We also had dinner reservations that needed to be on the early side, given the size of the group (9-12 people), so we did essentially half-days at the parks, leaving around 3:30pm most days.

We just got back last Wednesday. It was our first trip for my fiancé and myself together. She had only been once and I hadn’t been since I was a teenager. I went into this trip with extremely high expectations from memories of my youth. Looking back after a few days I realized that was my biggest problem. Sure I could tell Disney has cheapened some things and taken short cuts. My biggest let down was actually some changes to the older rides like the safari and soarin. I will say the new rides such as flight of passage and ride of the resistance were 10/10 amazing. One thing I also noticed is some of the cast members definitely “lacked the magic”. I do not blame them as it has been a long time and their jobs are extremely hard I have no doubt. But me and my fiancé did notice some cast members absolutely had “the magic” in several different positions. It almost became a game when we had a great interaction we would look at each other and say “they have the magic”. Next time we go I think I will enjoy it much more than this time mainly from what I said earlier. “Manage your expectations”.

Thanks!

JNK

This just doesn't seem to compute.

Back in 2008 there pages and pages of tips on this board on how to "game" the old legacy FP system. Who amongst us never had the fun job of being a runner? LOL. 99% of the complaints on this board when they changed to FP+ was that people had learned to maximize the legacy FP so well, they were going to lose rides per day moving to a system they couldn't game as easily.

Once everyone got up to speed on FP+ there were a million different tips and tricks shared here to show how to best game the FP+ system to get the most bang for your buck. People eventually got very wise to that system and became very comfortable with how to maximize it for the most rides possible.

Now with Genie Plus, many of the strategies to maximize are actually very similar to previous systems but with some changes in the nuance.

For the last 15 years Disney vacations have been a story about hyper planners who could make the most of their vacation versus people who just showed up at Noon and complained about how long the standby lines were. This is not something new with Genie Plus.
It wasn't so much about gaming the system. Back then the parks could handle the smaller crowds more successfully. Just look at DHS today, it's a total disaster because it does not have enough ride capacity to handle the crowds. There's no way they should be selling day of tickets to that park our front.

Don’t know what was happening with you, but we just got back from a week there and stacked Genie+ the entire time. We went on everything except for maybe 3-5 rides (Mission Space, Frozen singalong, and Rock n Rollercoaster), and that was primarily because we went with a large group that didn’t want to do those things. We also had dinner reservations that needed to be on the early side, given the size of the group (9-12 people), so we did essentially half-days at the parks, leaving around 3:30pm most days.
What was happening was, our party was larger, I had people who cannot walk to far, the system kept glitching and I hated being glued to my phone. I’m glad it worked out well for you though.

I don't care what system they want to go with- I myself prefer FP+- but what I do wish is that they go back to giving resort guests an appropriate advantage.

Maybe that means free Genie+ included with the reservation.

Maybe that means the ability to make advance LL (similar to the old FP+)

Maybe that means the ability to choose times versus the "next available" model.

I have a solution but....it's not going to be very popular (or realistic)

In my heart of hearts, I believe that the crowd issues stems from locals attending the parks in significantly higher volumes than ever before. Remember, the common wisdom has always been.....Disneyland is for locals, Disney World is for tourists.

Disney doubled down on this philosophy with the expansion of DVC and the expansion of accommodations on property in general. They doubled down further with Magical Express.

But, along the way, day guest/local (non AP) attendance skyrocketed. And, rather than stem the tide, Disney decided to just let WDW be for locals AND for tourists. This is evident with nearly all resort perks being stripped away, and day guests being given equal footing with Genie+. And now we are seeing the crowds following suit.

Disneyland would never let this happen. They just wouldn't. They value their regulars (which in this case is the locals) too much. If out-of-staters started coming to Disneyland in droves...in massive volumes, I don't see Disneyland being like, "bring it on. We want EVERYONE to be able to come to the parks." They would come up with something to regulate attendance.

My solution would be to significantly deplete the availability of day-of guest tickets. Either you are a resort guest. Or if you want to come as a local, invest in an AP. Or, you can purchase a multi-day ticket. I would say to get rid of Florida discounts for day-of tickets. If you purchase a single day ticket ahead of time, sure let them have a discount. I'm not saying get rid of day-of tickets completely. But, greatly reducing it I think would fix a lot of the crowd issues.

Which would in turn fix a lot of the Genie+ issues. It's all connected. If you fix the crowds, you fix Genie+. It's as simple as that.

I was there in September 2021. I thought standby lines were fine. Not walkon by any means. I think I waited 40 minutes for SDMT. I waited 8 minutes for Big Thunder.

The lines were fine. But the crowds were stifling. It felt so so SO crowded. Stressfully crowded. So, while I was perfectly fine with the standby lines for the most part, walking from land to land....trying to enjoy Main Street USA....it felt downright miserable.

This is exactly true. It's very difficult to compare when you are so used to using FP+ to its full potential. We were big FP+ fans. Then, we were there in Fall 2020, where it was all standby, but with it still being in the re-opening phases...many things were walkon, and standby waits were minimal. Then, by September 2021, standby lines had increased. As I said before, I waited 40 minutes for SDMT....which I am well aware that by any other measurement, 40 minutes is still pretty dang good for that ride.

But, it's all about perception. So, when you are used to FP-ing or walkon standby lines.....yes, 40 minutes seems like....a big number. It's very difficult to be objective. All you know is all you know.

It's not about "gaming" the system. It's about using whichever program is available at the time to its fullest potential. And the fact is that the ceiling for Genie+, the fullest potential for Genie+ is much, much lower than previous iterations. So, even if people are able to strategize Genie+, it's still ultimately going to be a lesser experience. They might be using Genie+ to its fullest potential, to make it worth the money...but the fullest potential of Genie+ is still a lesser product.

Also the previous versions of FP was about making the park experience easier for guests, for those hyperplanners that you reference. Yes, it was also about regulating wait times as well. But the product itself made it easier for families to plan a park day. And, if you used FP+ to its fullest potential (or gamed the system as you call it), everything else was just icing on top.

The Genie+ product is not about making park days easier for families. It's about directing them to lesser attended attractions. But, even if you maximized Genie+, it does not help the planning process, it does not make the park days easier for families. You cannot "plan" with Genie+. The best you can do is say, "We'll try to get this LL, and then we'll see what's available and when it's available." There's no planning to it. You are at Genie+'s mercy. So, if you are not wanting to criss-cross the park? Too bad. You can't hyper plan. The best you can do is plan to be hoofing it all day.

100% agreed that this is a major flaw in Genie+. Well, it's not a flaw. It's intentional, on Disney's part.

The thing about FP+ is you could say, "I have a FP for Haunted Mansion at x time, so we can probably do these other a,b, c attractions in the general vicinity before we move on to Tomorrowland, because we have a FP for Space Mountain at y time." You could make a general gameplan that makes things easier for you.

You could also stagger your FPs so that you could work a mid-day break into the equation. With Genie+, whether you want a mid-day break or you want to go straight through and leave the park early, the LL return times may not work out for you.

I think of this often. "Here you leave today..." Here you leave today.

There is no "leaving today" with this current setup. You have to be glued to your phone.

Or if you opt not to be glued to your phone and take your chances with the standby lines, then you are faced with the rudeness and stress that is so prevalent with today's society....people yelling and fighting.
Regarding the section where you talk about the potential Genie+ being lower than previous iterations: I just fundamentally disagree with this assertion that you (and many others on this board) are making. There are recent YouTube videos where Molly (All Ears) walks into MK and does every single attraction using Genie Plus. She has shown you can do that at every park. Even further she does the same thing in other videos but makes it more of a "perfect day" experience instead of just trying to ride everything as fast as you can. We visited towards the tail end of spring break when crowds were very heavy and we were easily able to do all major attractions at both MK and DHS very easily in half days at the parks.

Obviously everyone's experience is going to be slightly different depending on many factors such as crowd size, weather, party size and a million other factors but from looking at the data from the thrill rides website there has been nothing to suggest so far that using the current iteration of a "Fast Pass" system gives guests less potential experiences for they day than the most recent version of "fast pass" systems. We'll see if that changes during they busy summer months and as they tweak availability of Genie+

Regarding planning, I don't see it as a major earth-shattering change. With FP+ you could book the three attractions ahead of time but those choices were limited to tiers and the fact that everyone else was also able to pick 3 ahead of time meant that options were could be much more limited after you were able to use your first 3 FP+ and get more. With just a little planning, you can get an idea of which Genie Plus attractions to for first thing in the morning and then also you are able to pick a time that works best for you when you book the $ILL attractions. Again - during our recent Spring Break trip we made plans based on our research here and watching 4-5 YouTube videos and were easily able to get everything we wanted at very close to the times we were expecting.

Regarding "gaming the system" you can all it what you want but those of us who study Disney's complex capacity management systems and share tips on this board are absolutely using principles associated with "game theory" to maximize their share of a limited resource (ride capacity). Making plans, sharing them to be critiqued and sharing tips to maximize potential are not all too dissimilar to the war-gaming our military does or the table top strategy sessions we use at home or work to come up with a plan. I understand "gaming the system" has developed a negative connotation but we are all trying to game the system - which is different than cheating the system.

Like someone else mentioned - this is all about capacity. These systems are all capacity management. Disney can try to change them all they want but smart people on the DIS or Reddit or some other forum are going to come together and figure out ways to maximize potential resource gathering (ride capacity) and share them with like minded WDW obsessed people. As Disney make changes the details of the system will change some and we may not like that as we have become so familiar with the old system, but over the last 15 years most of the strategies have really not changed much.

What was happening was, our party was larger, I had people who cannot walk to far, the system kept glitching and I hated being glued to my phone. I’m glad it worked out well for you though.

We had 9-12 people, including several people in their late 60s who needed to walk more slowly/not that far.

Regarding the section where you talk about the potential Genie+ being lower than previous iterations: I just fundamentally disagree with this assertion that you (and many others on this board) are making. There are recent YouTube videos where Molly (All Ears) walks into MK and does every single attraction using Genie Plus. She has shown you can do that at every park. Even further she does the same thing in other videos but makes it more of a "perfect day" experience instead of just trying to ride everything as fast as you can. We visited towards the tail end of spring break when crowds were very heavy and we were easily able to do all major attractions at both MK and DHS very easily in half days at the parks.

Obviously everyone's experience is going to be slightly different depending on many factors such as crowd size, weather, party size and a million other factors but from looking at the data from the thrill rides website there has been nothing to suggest so far that using the current iteration of a "Fast Pass" system gives guests less potential experiences for they day than the most recent version of "fast pass" systems. We'll see if that changes during they busy summer months and as they tweak availability of Genie+

Regarding planning, I don't see it as a major earth-shattering change. With FP+ you could book the three attractions ahead of time but those choices were limited to tiers and the fact that everyone else was also able to pick 3 ahead of time meant that options were could be much more limited after you were able to use your first 3 FP+ and get more. With just a little planning, you can get an idea of which Genie Plus attractions to for first thing in the morning and then also you are able to pick a time that works best for you when you book the $ILL attractions. Again - during our recent Spring Break trip we made plans based on our research here and watching 4-5 YouTube videos and were easily able to get everything we wanted at very close to the times we were expecting.

Regarding "gaming the system" you can all it what you want but those of us who study Disney's complex capacity management systems and share tips on this board are absolutely using principles associated with "game theory" to maximize their share of a limited resource (ride capacity). Making plans, sharing them to be critiqued and sharing tips to maximize potential are not all too dissimilar to the war-gaming our military does or the table top strategy sessions we use at home or work to come up with a plan. I understand "gaming the system" has developed a negative connotation but we are all trying to game the system - which is different than cheating the system.

Like someone else mentioned - this is all about capacity. These systems are all capacity management. Disney can try to change them all they want but smart people on the DIS or Reddit or some other forum are going to come together and figure out ways to maximize potential resource gathering (ride capacity) and share them with like minded WDW obsessed people. As Disney make changes the details of the system will change some and we may not like that as we have become so familiar with the old system, but over the last 15 years most of the strategies have really not changed much.
I agree with a lot of what you said. What they need to do is go away from is return times. Make it like Express Pass. That way no one has to "game the system".

I agree with a lot of what you said. What they need to do is go away from is return times. Make it like Express Pass. That way no one has to "game the system".

I hate Express Pass. If you want it to include all the rides, you’re looking at $110 PER DAY. Do you really think Disney should do that?

I hate Express Pass. If you want it to include all the rides, you’re looking at $110 PER DAY. Do you really think Disney should do that?
Yes I do. The best part of Express pass is not having to pick return times The biggest reason why Genie+ doesn't work for a lot of people is availability. Disney is fixing that by capping sales later this week.

Yes I do. The best part of Express pass is not having to pick return times The biggest reason why Genie+ doesn't work for a lot of people is availability. Disney is fixing that by capping sales later this week.

So you think Disney should price Genie+ at equivalent to the ticket price per person per day? The reason Universal can do express pass without return times is because the crowds are lower to begin with and they price express pass so ridiculously high that very few people actually buy it.

This is what seems so perplexing to me. We were there during Spring Break and were able to stack so many rides at DHS and MK it was crazy. I have looked at thrill data almost every day since we got back and I don't understand what people are doing that they can only ride a few rides at MK or DHS. Looking at Memorial Day weekend for example, the data shows that RotR, SDD and ToT all sold out of capacity in the first couple of hours. RotR looks like it sold out first but still had availability for about an hour after park open so you could either try to RD it or just buy the $ILL. SDD and ToT showed availability to around 10 or 10:30 so yo may have to make a choice on those two. Most of the other rides showed available capacity will into the day with the rest of the big attractions showing availability all the way into the evening hours.

Again - just doesn't make a lot of sense how some people are experiencing such wildly different scenarios especially when you look at the data.

So you think Disney should price Genie+ at equivalent to the ticket price per person per day? The reason Universal can do express pass without return times is because the crowds are lower to begin with and they price express pass so ridiculously high that very few people actually buy it.
That's why it works. Skip the line systems aren't meant to for everyone to have it.

That's why it works. Skip the line systems aren't meant to for everyone to have it.
I agree. I still stand by a previous statement that I made on another thread that Genie+ is the worst skip the line service I've used in a theme park and it is because it is priced too low and too many people have it. If anything, having the service be more expensive will help the standby line flow much better than how it is now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter