• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No the Magic isn’t gone but it’s at 25%

For our family, the Magic is still there but it has definitely become less Magical. Our last trip in no way comes close to most of our previous 40+ trips, between Genie, LL, park reservations etc. The cost definitely has to do with it, I agree that the cost of everything has increased BUT not at the rate of WDW prices. In the past family and friends would say "man it must be nice to afford to go to WDW so much" but after telling them that we spend the same amount as we would renting a beach house or even just driving to Michigan to visit our families, they were surprised. Now, a WDW trip is nearly double the cost compared to those other two types of trips.

It's subjective. I do think if you go with an open mind, expecting to have fun it will be a better experience than those who go looking for things to complain about. I say this as someone not planning to return for awhile. My entire family has been pulled away by the other park, where we were more than pleasantly surprised.

We just were there a month ago, and I have to say the magic was literally everywhere you looked. It's a change in perspective, but things have always changed, and will continue to. Those willing to adapt to change will roll with, and others can make other choices. I'm fine either way.

It's subjective. I do think if you go with an open mind, expecting to have fun it will be a better experience than those who go looking for things to complain about. I say this as someone not planning to return for awhile. My entire family has been pulled away by the other park, where we were more than pleasantly surprised.
Same with us:)

Having a great trip right now. It's because when Disney stopped providing the magic, we pivoted and found ways to make our trip magical on our own. We started doing way less in the way of things that cost money and more things that are enjoyable and free. Like watching fireworks from our hotel. Swimming midday. Long naps and sleeping in.

Just folks here at The Dis that's telling you that it's gone.
Is the magic still in the parks, maybe. It's all the outside stuff that is what's causing the loss of it. Like I said earlier, those who ignore it tend to still have a good time at the parks. It's hard to ignore how bad a product Genie+ is, then reservation system and all cuts as well.

Is the magic still in the parks, maybe. It's all the outside stuff that is what's causing the loss of it. Like I said earlier, those who ignore it tend to still have a good time at the parks. It's hard to ignore how bad a product Genie+ is, then reservation system and all cuts as well.
All I’m saying is everyone here is extra critical to point it all out. believe it or not, outside folks here on the Dis, you find guests even like Genie+. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one. Only stating that there’s more negative here than there is anywhere else.

All I’m saying is everyone here is extra critical to point it all out. believe it or not, outside folks here on the Dis, you find guests even like Genie+. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one. Only stating that there’s more negative here than there is anywhere else.
People are giving their "opinion" and if they say that they think, based on their experience, that the Magic is gone for them and points out the reasons that it's gone for them, so I do not find that "extra critical". In my post I said that the magic has gone down a good bit for our family, but I am not going to think that since I find that the Magic has gone down for us that other posters are wrong when they say that it's totally gone for them. For our family even though the Magic has gone down, there are still a lot magical moments. Like walking down main street after the park has closed with most of the people already gone and hearing the 'Kiss Goodnight' playing, MK fireworks and the other parks that have night time shows, watching our family laughing on rides (this is why we do not do single rider lines), my DD's reactions when I tell them we are eating at CRT, my oldest DD craving a Turkey leg, my youngest DD teasing her sister about not wanting to go on TOT etc. Those moments have not changed, but like I posted there have been a lot of changes that has taken a lot of the magic away also.

It's subjective. I do think if you go with an open mind, expecting to have fun it will be a better experience than those who go looking for things to complain about.
Very true. We have been there twice in the last year. Were the trips perfect? Absolutely not. But we went in planning to have fun and did. Like many things, if you are looking for good you'll find it, if you're looking for things to complain about, you'll also find that.

It is the tawdry "nickel and diming" that has not always been part of the WDW experience that is irritating.
I think that is a big part of the issue (long with what seems to be continuous price increases).

There's a bunch of changes I'm unhappy with but luckily a lot of the changes don't really affect me anymore because my way of visiting Disney has drastically changed. My wife and I had our first kid and we are planning our first trip back since 2019 which will also be our first trip with our son.

We were major fastpass users, hopping from ride to ride with fastpasses all day so the new Genie+ is disappointing. However our park days will be a lot different and a lot slower with our child. We loved going to evening extra magic hours but no longer would be able to do them anyway. The other big disappointment that does still affect us is the ending of disney's magic express. We loved that service and would still be using it.

Luckily a lot of the magic now will be from seeing our son experience things.

This is a good way of putting it. It's a quote I see from a poster at another site.

It's death by 1,000 cuts / what point you notice the cumulative change.

When you're talking about a very basic Disney vacation for a family of four - flights, moderate resort, dinner and a couple breakfasts on property, tickets and merch, the cost is creeping towards $10K. When you're talking a top notch experience that feels like an all-inclusive as you put it, you can probably justify i

The issue is when that experience is gradually watered down... when you're hauling your butt from the airport in an Uber... when the offerings at dinner and quality aren't what you remember... when the frills are stripped away and your resort feels more and more like a normal hotel... when show quality slips in the parks.

At some point, you realize that you're dropping a TON of money on an experience that isn't nearly as magical as you remember and realize that your money could be better spent elsewhere. Their goal is to chase enough people away via this method and make up for it in price increases/cost savings until demand meets supply... but what happens when it waters down the product down to such a level that more people reconsider their spending than they wan

The longer they play this game, the more dangerous it get.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/14/disney-world-guests-gripe-of-broken-rides-filth-as-prices-soar/

‘Torture’: Disney World guests gripe of broken-down rides, filth as prices soar

By Alexandra Steigrad
September 14, 2022 1:59pm

Disney World guests gripe that the Orlando, Fla., resort has become plagued with broken-down rides and dirty facilities — even as the theme park continues to hike prices under CEO Bob Chapek.

Visitors are increasingly taking to social media to bash the Happiest Place on Earth, complaining that Chapek — who replaced the Mouse House’s longtime boss Bob Iger in 2020 — is only concerned with cutting costs and raising prices instead of reinvesting in the resort.

“Some rides are just a straight mess,” wrote one Reddit user in a chat room dubbed “Disney lacking.”

Last month, riders got stranded for over an hour on the Magic Kingdom’s “It’s a Small World” ride, with one customer calling the experience “torture” on social media. In July, video footage from Disney World revealed guests climbing out of a car on Splash Mountain because it started sinking. It was the park’s third sinking incident in two years.

“Rides are also down a lot. It’s been lacking since they reopened and I don’t expect it to change anytime soon,” the user continued. “They know people will keep coming regardless.”

Guests called out specific attractions, including “Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid at Magic Kingdom,” as a sign of the state of the park, according to Disney blog Inside the Magic, which earlier reported on the complaints.

“Half of the in-queue hermit crab effects simply don’t work,” one customer complained. “In almost every scene something is broken — the moray eel’s eyes for example — one eye works, the other broken.”

“You could do this for every ride, something is broken, unkempt, or not functional,” the customer added.

Another user said they were “shocked at how many rides were all down at the exact same time” when they last visited Disney World’s Epcot.

Customers complained that Disney World’s “Little Mermaid” ride is rundown.AFP via Getty Images
One user complained of poor maintenance and “cast members” who weren’t in character at Disney World’s ultra-expensive new Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel, which costs around $6,000 for two nights, with lodging, meals and entertainment included.

“Last year when I was here, I was blown away with CM’s [cast members], especially at Galaxy’s Edge, with maintaining the illusion. This year, a lot of the CM’s were not in character at all,” the user said. “The resorts have all had some small issues like the main door not closing when we leave, to A/C not working properly.”

Disney World’s unkempt appearance was also a hot topic, with users noting grass isn’t freshly cut, trash litters the grounds and buildings have “chipped paint.”

Riders got stuck for an hour on Disney World’s rundown “It’s a Small World” ride.Bloomberg via Getty Images
“There is no doubt that the parks, restaurants, and hotels that we enjoyed were in definite need of repair, there was a clear lack of general maintenance,” a guest wrote. “It was genuinely shocking. At the prices they are charging, there is zero excuse for it, including COVID.”

Another guest called the park “gross,” noting there was “tons of trash everywhere.”

“I watched a person smoking cigarettes in the middle of Liberty Square. Grabbed a real quick dinner at Pecos Bill and it was grimy,” the guest added.

Another user zeroed in on their hotel stay. “The lack of room cleaning bothered me the most, I stayed at Pop Century for 12 nights and the ‘light cleaning’ every other day isn’t good enough.”

Many customers blamed Disney boss Chapek, who took the helm in 2020, right before the pandemic hit. During the height of the pandemic, Disney was forced to close its theme parks, causing a devastating blow to its bottom line. Eventually, theme parks reopened, and in order to make up for the losses, Chapek began raising admission, food and merchandise prices.

Disney also slimmed down portion sizes of popular food items, much to the dismay of customers, with some comparing the revamped meals to “disgusting slop” and “prison food.”

“Two words: Bob Chapek,” wrote one angry user, blaming the exec for changes at the parks.

Another chimed in: “This is what the new Disney is all about. Cutting costs and making more for the board of directors. I imagine, unless they put someone in charge that really cares about Disney and not the bottom line, it will stay like this.”

Disney CEO Bob Chapek has hiked prices at Disney’s theme parks while also slashing costs.Bloomberg via Getty Images
But not everyone was so critical of Disney World or its CEO.

“While it’s fun to blame Chapek for everything (I do this alot) I think we also forget that this issue has always been there, but due to the increased costs we now are paying for these vacations, we may just be more hyper aware of them,” one user noted. “While I think the magic is still there, I agree it’s a different feeling then my last trip…”

A former Disney employee added that “maintenance is stretched thin post Covid” and “supply chain issues are affecting parts shipments as well as merchandise, food, etc.”

Disney World did not comment.

I made a promise to my family to go as a group for one last Christmas. Truthfully, I’m not looking forward to it but I will find joy in the joy of my family. I can accept lack of maintenance and some customer service slow down due to labor issues, that’s a real thing. The sky rocketing cost while doing so is the breaking point. It’s the laughing place laughing in my face. I can’t justify the cost anymore for the true disrepair, I’m a “ambiance” guy, I love the little things, and these things have been completely ignored.

It’s not a hellscape of disaster, but it’s a ludicrous state of for the price. This board is an echo chamber (not a bad thing) of mostly upper middle class people. Not everyone is dipped in Dole Whip.

68% of Disney World fans say the park’s ‘lost its magic’: poll - https://ktla.com/news/local-news/68-of-disney-world-fans-say-the-parks-lost-its-magic-poll/amp/

“According to the study, 92.6% of those surveyed believed the cost of a Disney World vacation is out of reach for an average family. Additionally, 68.3% of people said increases made it feel like the theme park has lost all its magic.”

The biggest factor is the cost! Not everyone knocks down a couple hundred thousand a year. To drop 10k for vacation and for things to be continually down or in B Mode is unjust to guest.

Here's a little more on that poll - how it was done, etc.

https://time2play.com/blog/is-disney-world-too-expensive/

Is a family vacation to Disney World now out of reach for average households?​

Ben Treanor
Published on Sep 11, 2022

Methodology:

In September 2022, we surveyed 1,927 self-reported Disney World enthusiasts from the Facebook travel group ‘IT’S ORLANDO TIME’. At the time of the survey, the group had over 234,700 members

We definitely found the magic in our last trip a few weeks ago.

Our first and only other Disney World trip was in 2014. It was perfect in every way...First time at the park experiencing everything is the best. We went when our DS was 9 and our DD was 5, and we were so glad we went there. Both kids were in aye of everything and we were able to catch DD in her princess phase, which anyone with a girl who went through this, can understand (princess meals, bibbidi bobbidi boutique, etc). Stayed at Art of Animation which is the cutest resort with theming, plus the two rooms with 2 full bathrooms was so practical! Also had the meal plan which meant 1 ADR each day.

Fast forward to our next Disney World trip end of August 2022. This was a special gift for our DD's 13th birthday. Didn't know what to expect considering (1) second trip will have lost all the "first times" (except Animal Kingdom as first time at that park) (2) covid changes.
How did we find it? Amazing! Still had all the magic for us. I personally liked LL as it let us ride all the headliners without any wait, and did the secondary rides as walk on. CMs were wonderful, lots of spirit and so much to see and do, fireworks each night, etc. Kids are older now so characters aren't important (although they did see them at Chef Mickeys). We also stayed at Contemporary which we loved. Each trip was amazing in its own way.

I do admit that this trip was $$$ but we also splurged on the resort, utilized Lightning Lane (regular and Individual for 2 attractions) but this is most likely our last trip and only our 2nd at the world.

So yes for us, the magic is still completely there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter