No stroller, not a pack mule, what should my kids carry into the parks?

Electra2D

Earning My Ears
This will be our first trip to Disney without a stroller and with kids, and I want to make sure we can move more quickly but still have what we need. I'm looking for tips on what kind of bag to bring, trouble using bags on rides for kids, and what's likely to be manageable for kiddos as they are getting on and off rides. I do NOT want to be carrying my bag and theirs at the end of the day if possible but understand I might need to loop around their bags on rides. I think a backpack might be too big, but maybe a smaller backpack? Or a fanny pack? Or a string bag? What has worked well for your elementary aged kids? What do they carry in their bags? What do you carry? Do you take sweater/jacket at the end of October? I'm from the east coast and baffled by SoCal weather. :D

Details:
October 22-24, staying offsite (15 min walk?) parkhopper, doing a big time change so will probably do a midday break
Two boys, ages 6 (big for his age) and 10 (average size)
They both will need snacks and water on hand, and probably a fidget toy or two (one is autistic/ADHD, other maybe is ADHD) for waiting and downtime. Considering getting either earplugs or noise canceling headphones for the oldest to help with sensory overload.

We don't typically carry extra clothes for the kids, so I probably won't do that just to keep things light (can always buy some in a store if you must!). We have ponchos from WDW if we need them, since both want to ride Grizzly and Splash. At least it won't be like July Orlando hot like our last Disney trip, so I think we can get away with not carrying all the heat-related gear like insulated bottles, cooling towels, fans, etc. It's part of the appeal of DLR in October!

I usually have a small crossbody but may be carrying a slightly larger one since we won't have a stroller, but I don't really want to carry a backpack. DH might carry a backpack as long as it isn't too heavy, but he prefers a smaller bag, too.

Thanks for your parking with kids tips!

Honestly, with SoCal weather, it may be hotter than you think… When my kids were elementary aged, I had them each carry a mini backpack that had snacks, pins for trading, and their own ponchos. Are you planning on taking a break in the afternoon? If so, depending on the weather, that is when I would grab a hoodie or light jacket if needed for the evening.

Honestly, with SoCal weather, it may be hotter than you think… When my kids were elementary aged, I had them each carry a mini backpack that had snacks, pins for trading, and their own ponchos. Are you planning on taking a break in the afternoon? If so, depending on the weather, that is when I would grab a hoodie or light jacket if needed for the evening.

I really don't have a clue how to dress or pack for SoCal! We will have to play it by ear, to see how the kids are holding up. I'm guessing they will want to do fireworks, Fantasmic, WOC, so we will probably need a break. That's a good point about grabbing the layers then! It is so nice to be able to throw whatever you need into a stroller, but mobility is so much higher without a stroller.

I sure missed our stroller once my kids got too big for it! So handy to carry everything.

When my kids were that age they had a small backpack with water, snacks, their autograph book, sunglasses etc. Just little things. DH & I would usually carry a bigger bag with extra items like more water, more snacks, sunblock, etc. If they were going on a ride with DH, I would sit at a table and hold everyone's bags for them, but most rides are easy to bring your bag. You could always rent a locker for bigger things or extra sweatshirts, etc if you don't want to walk back to your hotel in the middle of the day. I would plan on at least some kind of long sleeves in October, even if it's not something heavy like a sweater.

Check the weather forecast one week before, then check it again two or three days before. Could be mid-80s, could be hotter. Definitely bring sunscreen, hats, etc.

My 7-year-old wears his small backpack (PotteryBarn mini size) and carries a lightweight jacket, autograph book, pressed penny book (I have a big collector on my hands) snack, water and a few things for lines (small notebook and pen, stickers, fidgets).

I carry more water, more snacks, jacket for me, sunscreen, wet wipes, etc, in my normal size backpack. I never have any trouble with my backpack and I’d rather have everything I need with me. I also use my backpack to store purchases, leftover snacks (I bring Ziplocs) and anything else we acquire throughout the day.

Have a great time!

91C695B3-3517-4C09-A83F-7878A38CD0B1.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter