"No Problem"

But you wouldn't substitute "You're welcome" for any of those. You truly mean that it is no problem for you to do X.
I am not so sure. you could say.

Can you watch my kids?
Sure, you're welcome to drop them off any time after 5

and so on

When someone says "No problem," it seems to imply that it was not a problem to provide whatever the service was, and by extension, had it been an problem, maybe the service wouldn't/couldn't have been provided. But customer service should be provided even when it's not easy/a problem.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Why would you assume that if it had been a problem , the service would not have been provided? I would not make any such assumption.

If I'm helping a customer and they make a request that I might consider onerous, I'm going to help them anyway. And if they say thank you, I'll say you're welcome. But more often, someone asks me to do something that is a perfectly normal part of my job, something that really is no trouble or hassle at all, and I try to make them feel comfortable and at ease for asking by saying No Problem! And I genuinely mean it. But there is no reason to assume that in those situations where I might find it annoying or problematic in some way I'd refuse to help.

"No problem" does not equal "I only helped you because it was easy" and I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion.

Perhaps my ease with no problem stems from learning French, as others have noted it's similar to what they say. My mother "taught" me to say You're Welcome, but I doubt she'd clutch her pearls to know I sometimes deviate from that exact wording.

Last edited:
There's no reason to make this a litmus test on rigidity, manners, morals, etc. So what if some people are fine with the phrase and others dislike it? I'm in the "don't like it" camp. So long as I'm polite to the person saying it, who cares? As I said, I don't roll my eyes, correct them, give them a lecture, etc. They never know that I don't care for the phrase. And I still thank them because they provided a service.

There's no reason to make this a litmus test on rigidity, manners, morals, etc. So what if some people are fine with the phrase and others dislike it? I'm in the "don't like it" camp. So long as I'm polite to the person saying it, who cares? As I said, I don't roll my eyes, correct them, give them a lecture, etc. They never know that I don't care for the phrase. And I still thank them because they provided a service.

I'm sorry, I did not mean to make it a litmus test for your moral compass. I was just genuinely baffled by the train of thought you provided for why you dislike it and wondered what made you draw the assumptions you draw.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Why would you assume that if it had been a problem , the service would not have been provided? I would not make any such assumption.

If I'm helping a customer and they make a request that I might consider onerous, I'm going to help them anyway. And if they say thank you, I'll say you're welcome. But more often, someone asks me to do something that is a perfectly normal part of my job, something that really is no trouble or hassle at all, and I try to make them feel comfortable and at ease for asking by saying No Problem! And I genuinely mean it. But there is no reason to assume that in those situations where I might find it annoying or problematic in some way I'd refuse to help.

"No problem" does not equal "I only helped you because it was easy" and I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion.

Perhaps my ease with no problem stems from learning French, as others have noted it's similar to what they say. My mother "taught" me to say You're Welcome, but I doubt she'd clutch her pearls to know I sometimes deviate from that exact wording.
It just does. The words "It's no bother at all" seem infinitely more pleasant than the ultra casual "No problem" to my ears. Emphasis on MY ears. I realize not everyone feels the same. I think "No problem" seems far too casual and overly familiar.

Except that plenty of people (those who have an issue with "no problem") have brought manners into the conversation. It tends to be a little jarring when someone says you have poor manners because you use a different word than they do.

This is so funny to me.

I can often see why people get upset or annoyed by little things even if I don't agree with it. In this case, I just can't put myself in your shoes!

If someone politely says "no problem" how on earth is that rude?

I am truly trying to understand.

I thanked my daughter in a text yesterday for doing the dishes. She replied with 'NP mom! Love you.' What a rude little kid. Hahahaha.

Generally it doesn't bother me (actually can't think of a circumstance where it has)- but I do observe that manners and courtesy are rapidly declining, and expect they will continue to do so.

I will note that in some languages, "no problem" really IS how one says thank you.

Spanish - de nada - it's nothing
French - de rien - it's nothing

A couple of articles on the subject of "no problem":

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-problem-yes-its-a-big-problem/
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/11/29/the_un_welcome/

Where do you get that? I always thank people who help me/servers, because I appreciate what they do. I say "Thank you" or "I appreciate your help" or something similar. I taught my DD to do the same.

When someone says "No problem," I don't roll my eyes or correct them. But it rubs me the wrong way and unless I'm at a beach or pool in the Caribbean, it seems overly casual.

When someone says "No problem," it seems to imply that it was not a problem to provide whatever the service was, and by extension, had it been an problem, maybe the service wouldn't/couldn't have been provided. But customer service should be provided even when it's not easy/a problem.

Just because some people find the phrase annoying and/or obnoxious and don't want to know if anything was a "problem" doesn't mean we are rude to those who provide service to us. We're probably the very people who make it a point to thank them and wonder where the responding "You're welcome" went.

I was also going to point out the de nada/de rien thing. When a server says "how are you today?", do you think they really want to know how you (general you) are? It's a polite nicety, that's all. Same as "no problem". You're inferring something that isn't being implied.

Didn't we have this thread a few months ago?

I was also going to point out the de nada/de rien thing. When a server says "how are you today?", do you think they really want to know how you (general you) are? It's a polite nicety, that's all. Same as "no problem". You're inferring something that isn't being implied.

Didn't we have this thread a few months ago?

To the bolded.....

Wait.... you mean they really DON'T want to know how I'm doing? Well that's just RUDE! Why ask if you truly don't want to know. :joker:

Except that plenty of people (those who have an issue with "no problem") have brought manners into the conversation. It tends to be a little jarring when someone says you have poor manners because you use a different word than they do.
If a CS worker says "No Problem", the phrase itself may annoy me, but I do realize that it is their way of saying "You're welcome." They mean no offense.

My knickers remain in their usual untwisted state when I hear it, but that does not mean that I think it is the proper response. Particularly in a business or sales situation. It's fine, I suppose, in a casual situation among friends or family; although I would rarely if ever use the phrase. To me it is rather dismissive, and bordering on disrespectful.

Right. I don't get upset when someone says "no problem" & a person saying "no problem" certainly doesn't ruin my day. However, I agree that when you're speaking English (not French or Spanish or German), "no problem" in most business/sales/restaurant settings is not the correct response.

I also agree that "no problem" is rather dismissive, even in a casual setting.

Certainly. It is possible to disapprove of something without becoming emotionally vested in it.

And while I would correct any child of mine for saying it, I certainly would not be so lacking in manners that I would correct a stranger, in public or otherwise.

Right. I'd never correct anyone (other than my children) & would go on w/ my day completely unruffled.

I'm in the military and I work in customer service, and for me the "no problem" vs "you're welcome" thing depends on the customer. If the customer is around my same rank and we're familiar, I'll use "no problem" or "you're welcome" interchangeably. If it's someone I don't know, or someone who outranks me, I use "you're welcome". If it's a really higher-up person, I use "my pleasure".

One thing I can't stand is when someone is thanked and the other person replies with "Uh-huh". Anytime I've caught anyone on my staff offering that in response to thanks, I've pulled them aside and let them know that that's not the type of customer service we provide.

I'm curious why you make the distinction. A customer is a customer, no matter what their rank or status is. And shouldn't your service & response to them be the same?

Personally when i waitressed and i brought something to the table, if the customer said thank you I would say youre welcomr and proceed with my business. If the customer was overly thankful and apologetic because i brought them the ketchup that they forgot to ask for when i said can i get anything else for anyone before i leave you to wnjoy your meal?" Then i would say no problem to reassure them that it really was ok. For the people who say "i dont care if its a problem for YOU or not its your job"....well you probably arent the type to be apologetic and overly thankful like the customer I described above ;) You would perhaps have no problem making the server run back and forth a dozen times for things you forgot to ask for because hey -thats their job!

I'm probably one of those overly thankful types. I also tend to be too apologetic. "I'm so sorry, but DS dropped his fork. When you get a chance, would you please bring us a new one?"

Everyone saying it's part of the server's job to begin with, so it shouldn't be a problem:

Why are you thanking someone for doing their job to begin with? And why would the person doing his/her job be obligated to say that you were welcome? How is that any different?

What if they were asked to do something that normally wasn't part of their job?

Isn't this one of the reasons, back in the day, the upper crust of society didn't thank/acknowledge the servants? Serving them & doing it extremely well was the servants' jobs, & to thank them was almost an insult.

The only acceptable response to my "Thank you" is an engraved card on heavy wight organic card stock. It should be embossed with gold leaf scroll work surrounding the words Thank you, and the white gloved butler should bow when he hands it to me.

Seriously? It doesn't bother me AT ALL to hear the clerk or whatever say "NO PROBLEM". Half the time, the employees in most stores don't even say that. And no hello either. To me, a no problem at least indicates that they are alive and heard me say thank you.

I'm not sure why, when these sort of discussions come up & people disagree, there are always exaggerated sarcastic & snarky responses. Like there's no in between "no problem" & an engraved "thank you" card delivered by a butler.

I'm an x'er, too, and I alternate "no problem", "my pleasure" and "you're welcome" as I deem fit. We use all of them at home, so I'm teaching my kids to use all three as they deem fit. I don't find any of them rude in any way, shape or form. I also use an Oxford comma and say "I cannot even".

I'm a Gen-X-er too!

And I'm a big fan of the Oxford comma. My thing is "Seriously?!"

My sister can't stand "Just sayin' ", so I will often say that just to bug her.

Right.

I had never really thought about the "no problem"/"you're welcome"/"my pleasure" thing until my sister started working at one of the top tier hotels in the country about 15 years or so years ago. During training, the new employees were instructed to say "my pleasure" instead of "you're welcome" & especially instead of "no problem".

"You're welcome" and "my pleasure" sound much less dismissive & much more appreciative & respectful than "no problem."

People can say what they like, but there's a reason nicer establishments instruct their employees not to say "no problem."

And Chik-Fil-A trainers are doing a much better job training their employees to be polite & responsive & efficient than other fast food restaurants. There's just a different level of service & politeness. The "my pleasure" response sticks out in a nice way.

For those onboard who find it just fine to say "no problem" is this something you have taught or will teach your children about manners? I ask this because when my sons were very young, I'd guess as young as 3 or 4, whenever they said "thank you", they waited for the "you're welcome". If they didn't get that response, they pointed it out - every time! It's kinda funny to me that my 4 yr old knew more manners than the waitresses waiting on us.
I don't find that to be the least bit funny. If ever hear my daughter correct an adult, there will be serious consequences. The fact that you find that to be less rude than saying "no problem" is mind boggling.

I think the proper response is "you're welcome", but it doesn't bother me if someone says "no problem".

Sometimes when I'm finishing a transaction at the grocery store, or anywhere for that matter, and I say thank-you, the clerk/cashier responds with "yep". I think that is not appropriate either, but it doesn't bother me.

Right. I don't get upset when someone says "no problem" & a person saying "no problem" certainly doesn't ruin my day. However, I agree that when you're speaking English (not French or Spanish or German), "no problem" in most business/sales/restaurant settings is not the correct response.

I don't think this is so much a language thing as a cultural thing. I suspect you will not find the same responses to "Thank you" in every culture that speaks a certain language.

As an English speaking person, I very rarely say "You're Welcome", unless I actually mean it - as in, someone asked me to do something I didn't really want or intend to do, but I did it for them and they thanked me - if it was something I was already going to do anyway, "You're welcome" would not cross my lips. In fact, when I used to work in customer service, when someone thanked me, my reply was always to thannk them in return, never you're welcome.

Example:

*customer pays for coffee and donuts*
*I go get them coffee and donuts*
Customer: Thank you.
Me: Thank you.

"You're welcome" and "my pleasure" sound much less dismissive & much more appreciative & respectful than "no problem."

People can say what they like, but there's a reason nicer establishments instruct their employees not to say "no problem."

And Chik-Fil-A trainers are doing a much better job training their employees to be polite & responsive & efficient than other fast food restaurants. There's just a different level of service & politeness. The "my pleasure" response sticks out in a nice way.
I think it sounds nicer the first few times you hear it, but after a while it starts to sound scripted and insincere.

I dislike the saying. No problem. Of course, it isn't a PROBLEM. It's your JOB. To say "No problem" implies it could have potentially been a problem and the problem was averted. Or that you helping someone is not a problem for you. Well, duh, serving someone is NOT a problem. The proper response has always been, and will always be "Thank you," followed by "You're welcome."

To me, your explanation proves "no problem" to be the correct answer to thank you.

"Thank you for getting my meal."

"Don't thank me...it's my job!"

Why do people have to take things so literal all the time? Cripes sake, its a phrase not meant to be taken literal.

Exactly!!!

And, while "My Pleasure" might sound wonderful, and convey all kinds of good vibes... Can anyone believe that it is actually somebody's great pleasure to do their basic job. 99.9%, there would be absolutely no way that this would be literal.

As the other poster just above mentioned... it begins to sound scripted.

It just strokes the narcissistic ego in most all of us.

When people get all 'offended' and upset because of small semantics like this, whether it be 'No Problem', or whether one is addressed as 'Ma'am', or NOT... that is all is see... it looks WAY worse on that person than it does the other person who obviously meant no disrespect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter